SEANCE

1. Fly (2:12)
2. One Day (4:36)
3. Electric (6:03)
4. It's No Reason (5:54)
5. Travel By Thought (4:35)
6. Disappear? (5:46)
7. Electric Lash (4:25)
8. Now I Wonder Why (5:40)
9. Dropping Names (2:57)
10. It Doesn't Change (5:52)

Search THE CHURCH Seance lyrics

Search THE CHURCH Seance tabs

- Richard Ploog / drums, bongos, tambourine
- Steve Kilbey / vocals, bass, keyboards, string arrangements
- Peter Koppes / guitar, Hammond organ
- marty Willson-Piper / guitars, vocals

CD Arista ARCD-8565

THE CHURCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE CHURCH Seance Music

Under the Milky WayUnder the Milky Way
Sbme Special Mkts. 1999
LP-The Church-exclusive interview w.3 church members US $9.99 [0 bids]
31m 50s
TRUE TONES: Let's Go To Church (black gospel vinyl LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 36m 6s
JIM & JESSE: The Old Country Church (bluegrass vinyl LP) US $20.00 Buy It Now 36m 57s
New Jerusalem Baptist Church Choir-His eye is on the sparrow - Lp record Album US $7.00 [0 bids]
42m 14s
Danish Romantic Songs For The Church [CD New] US $15.65 Buy It Now 47m 45s
rare 1982 The Worship Album by Church in the City Xian Gospel record Religious US $15.99 Buy It Now 53m 2s
calvary evangelical free church choir OUR REDEMPTION DRAWETH NIGH LP vinyl US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Prodigal Son - Deeper Than Church [CD New] US $12.59 Buy It Now 1h 16m
J.S./Trinity Church Wall Street/Wachner Bach - Complete Motets (Dig) [CD New] US $12.86 Buy It Now 1h 16m
1950s CORAL / FESTIVAL STEREO GREEN LABEL TEST PRESS LP " THE CHURCH SINGS " US $4.07 Buy It Now 1h 21m
HISTORIC PIPE ORGANS OF TASMANIA CANDLE LP Church organs US $9.04 Buy It Now 1h 21m
PVT '67 Gospel LP~Kalamazoo MI Fourth Reformed Church Choirs REDEEMED Grace Note US $9.99 [0 bids]
11 JIMMY SWAGGART RECORDS LPS CHRISTIAN GOSPEL PIANO CHURCH ORGAN JESUS CHRIST US $16.99 Buy It Now 1h 41m
RALPH STANLEY: Old Country Church LP (corner wear, writing on back cover) Blueg US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Nick Noble 45 THERE'S A CHURCH... / FOUNTAINS CRY~ VG++ pop US $1.23 Buy It Now 1h 55m
THE CHURCH GOLD AFTERNOON FIX ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $11.75 Buy It Now 2h
METAL CHURCH 2 Tape Cassette LOT Blessing in Disguise - The Dark Thrash Metal US $4.99 [1 bids]
METAL CHURCH 12" Limited Edition Interview Vinyl Picture Disc - England Import US $6.99 [0 bids]
Highlands Baptist Church Let the redeemed say so NEW SEALED vinyl LP Tour Choir US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 20m
Choir Christ Church,Choir Christ Church,Preston : Dvorak: Mass; Liszt: Missa Cho US $10.00 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Reverend Billy and the Church of Stop Shopping [Bonu... US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 27m
The Rock Chronicles 2LP Radio Show 89-01 Dec 26, 1988 The Church, Cheap Trick, G US $39.99 [0 bids]
St. Paul's Episcopal Church Lansing Michigan Music From The Choirs US $24.99 [0 bids]
HEAVY METAL 6 Tape Cassette LOT Pantera Sacred Reich Whiplash SOD Metal Church US $10.99 [1 bids]
3h
Joseph Prince GREAT FAITH EFFORTLESSLY, 4-CD,God/Jesus/Christian Church US $14.99 Buy It Now 3h 2m
CHURCH Columbus 7" w/PS AUSSIE INDIE Steve Kilbey US $11.75 Buy It Now 3h 8m
1966 BAPTIST CHURCH SAN JOSE HIGH SCHOOL LP SEALED MINT US $13.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
"R&B Soul " "The Diamonds" "The Church Bells May Ring" "Rare 78" US $9.99 [0 bids]
KAJEM - CHURCH ORGAN + SYNTHESIZER + RHYTHM (1987) CD OOP NETHERLANDS ELECTRONIC US $13.00 Buy It Now 3h 13m
EUGENE CHURCH/GROUP 45RPM '59 RENDEZVOUS POLLY/GOOD NEWS PROMO STRONG VG++ VINYL US $10.45 [0 bids]
BACH ORGAN WORKS Daniel Chorzempa at the organ of OUR LADY'S CHURCH, BREDA US $24.30 Buy It Now 3h 16m
CLASSICAL CD / VIVALDI / GLORIA / HANDEL / CHRIST CHURCH / 443 178-2 US $18.05 Buy It Now 3h 24m
VANHELGD - Church Of Death CD '10 - MINT Death Coffins Evoke NWN US $13.06 [5 bids]
THE CHURCH Seance 2 CD Set ALTERNATIVE Rock Australian Import US $23.00 [0 bids]
Lot 68 Daywinds Sound Tracks Christian Accompaniment Church Choir Music CDs NEW US $30.00 [1 bids]
ANTHEMS OF HAWAII Sung by the Kawaiahao Church Choir ~ nm WAIKIKI LP US $7.96 Buy It Now 3h 29m
RED FOLEY/ CHURCH IN THE WILDWOOD US $4.00 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Enchantment by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2001, Columbia (USA)) **STILL SEALED** US $5.99 Buy It Now 3h 39m
SOUTHSIDE BAPTISH CHURCH CHOIR SC PRIVATE XIAN LP US $10.47 Buy It Now 3h 42m
BISHOP N.S. STEWART - "DIE TO LIVE" (SEALED) BIBLEWAY CHURCH - WASHINGTON, D.C. US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 46m
Glory! by First Church Sanctuary Choir (CD, 1998, Gaither Studios). US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 50m
HERETIC - Breaking Point (SEALED LP) RARE Metal Church OOP. US $6.50 [2 bids]
"R&B Soul" "Electric Church" "Buddy Miles Experience" "Rare LP" US $9.99 [0 bids]
TALLIS_LATIN CHURCH MUSIC II_CD_EMI 49563_PARROTT_TAVERNER CONSORT_OUT OF PRINT US $11.99 Buy It Now 4h 5m
Gold Afternoon Fix by The Church (CD, Mar-1990, Arista US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
John Cale & Terry Riley - Church Of Anthrax UK Re CBS LP 1980 Velvet Underground US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 11m
Charlotte Church CD Voice of an Angel Sony Music 1998 US $7.00 [0 bids]
Charlotte Church CD Self-Titled London Symphony Orchestra Sony Promenade 1999 US $7.00 [0 bids]
Willie Morganfield-Christian Unity Baptist Church Choir US $4.50 Buy It Now 4h 14m
THE CHURCH Numbers CD Alternative Rock US $7.00 [0 bids]
SEALED GOSPEL LP - CHOIR NORTHEAST PARK BAPTIST CHURCH - PAUL SHEPPARD MINISTER US $24.99 Buy It Now 4h 17m
CHURCH DEEP IN THE SHALLOWS CLASSIC SINGLES COLLECTION 2 CD NEW US $21.25 Buy It Now 4h 24m
LEE, Jackie // Eugene Church (Duck, The // Pretty Girls Everywhere) REISSUE US $3.60 Buy It Now 4h 26m
Voice Of An Angel - Charlotte Church US $7.83 Buy It Now 4h 27m
ERIC CHURCH LUKE BRYAN KEITH URBAN DIERKS BENTLEY PROMO CMA AWARDS CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
Charlotte Church by London Symphony Orchestra, London Welsh Male Choir,... US $5.00 [0 bids]
CHRIST CHURCH CATHEDRAL OXFORD - BYRD MASSES NEW CD US $23.13 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Enchantment by Charlotte Church CD Rock Popular Music Tonight Papa Can You Hear US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Whitney Moore Young Jr LP - RCA LM 3219 - Riverside Church - Gospel - SEALED US $9.99 [0 bids]
Parkcrest Christian Church - 2 CDs - "Hear Our Praises", "Every Day We Worship" US $5.00 [0 bids]
STORM RIDERS (sealed soundtrack) Lp Split Enz-The Church-Mondo Rock-NZ Pop ++~ M US $18.24 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Claudia Church by Claudia Church (CD, Mar-1999, Warner Bros.) US $4.12 Buy It Now 5h 2m
Earth Church, Rosemary Silence, Good US $5.74 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Eric Church - Carolina NEW CD US $13.28 Buy It Now 5h 16m
Sometime Anywhere by The Church (CD, 1994, Arista) US $2.99 [0 bids]
Treasures of Christmas:Joyful Sounds of the Season-Southwest Community Church CD US $5.95 Buy It Now 5h 25m
BACH,J.S. - CHURCH CANTATAS-VOL. 45 [CD NEW] US $16.93 Buy It Now 5h 31m
'62 R&B Mover/Deep Soul STERLING HARRISON Let's Wobble/Church Bells Ring V HEAR! US $9.99 [1 bids]
Voice of an Angel, Charlotte Church, Good US $3.75 Buy It Now 5h 48m
SECOND CALVARY CHURCH 33 black soul gospel PRIVATE century choir chorus vocals US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Church - Two Places at Once US promo CD EP 3 versions Edit / Album / Video Edit US $3.49 Buy It Now 6h 4m
HERETIC: TORTURE KNOWS NO BOUNDARY + BREAKING POINT * 2 NM LPs (METAL CHURCH) US $16.66 [1 bids]
THE CHURCH " SELF TITLED " LP VINYL US $0.50 [1 bids]
LIGHT & LIFE HOUR 78RPM Record WORSHIP THE LORD-UNDER HIS WINGS/CHURCH'S FOUNDA. US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Before X-Siouxsie & Banshees/ELVIS COSTELLO-The Church US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 58m
JANUARY 2014 COUNTRY KARAOKE SINGERS SOLUTION SS-C430 DIERKS BENTLEY,ERIC CHURCH US $9.99 [0 bids]
Anthrax - Spreading the Disease CD OOP ISLAND slayer megadeth metal church riot US $9.99 [0 bids]
KVARTET SORKOCEVIC Concert St. Salvation Church CD Croatia 2003 String Quartet US $30.00 Buy It Now 7h 14m
SHANE MACGOWAN THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPOOK ZANG SPECIAL LIMITED EDITION ENGLAND US $9.99 [0 bids]
NEW PASADENA UNITED CHRISTIAN CHURCH CHOIR LP ALA SS US $9.99 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Jordanaires church in the wild wood peace in the valley Decca 45 excellent US $5.00 [0 bids]
Rutter; Cambridge Singers-Treasures Of English Church Mu CD NEW US $25.05 Buy It Now 8h
CHURCH OF MISERY-THY KINGDOM SCUM VINYL LP NEW US $34.72 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Thibodaux Family Church-TFC Praise 1 CD NEW US $9.88 Buy It Now 8h 2m
Living Gospel,,,Hymns Of The Church,,,New CD,,,L@@K! US $4.19 Buy It Now 8h 3m
Choir of 7-day Adventist Church. E Sokolovskaya. LP US $14.99 Buy It Now 8h 58m
Meet me. Church singing spiritual . LP digit US $14.99 Buy It Now 9h 4m
THROBBIN URGES S/T LP hellbenders backstabbers j church rocket reducers giuda US $7.19 Buy It Now 9h 31m
Charlotte Church - Voice Of An Angel Japan CD NEW 17Tks US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 32m
ST MICHAEL'S GREEK CATHOLIC CHURCH - A CAPELLA CHROIR VINYL LP VGC SH1 - US $4.95 [0 bids]
MAKE A JOYFUL SOUND UNTO THE LORD - ORTHODOX CHURCH VINYL LP VGC SH1 - US $4.99 [0 bids]
10h
Lords Of New Church Live For Today With Poster US $19.99 Buy It Now 10h 32m
Lords Of New Church Live For Today Us 12" US $6.99 Buy It Now 10h 32m
Lords of the New Church - Like a Virgin - UK 12" US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 32m
THE CHURCH "STARFISH" IMPORT RARE 1988 CD* UNDER THE MILKY WAY US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 46m
Charlotte Church, Tony Bennett, , Our Favorite Things Audio CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 10h 46m
METAL CHURCH - 1991 Magazine Poster US $7.35 Buy It Now 10h 48m
Marty Willson-Piper - Hanging Out In Heaven - U.S. cd - RARE! The Church US $13.98 Buy It Now 11h
THE CHURCH The Church UK LP 1982 vg/vg Unguarded Moment US $11.41 Buy It Now 11h 21m
METAL CHURCH Generation Nothing 2LP Black VINYL "BRAND NEW" 500 copies worldwide US $19.99 Buy It Now 11h 32m

More places to buy THE CHURCH music online Buy THE CHURCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE CHURCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE CHURCH Seance ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(53%)

THE CHURCH Seance reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
5 stars [Third in a series] There are occasional (some might say rare) times when the confluence in a band is so fortuitous that it creates a kind of gestalt, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Although not "progressive" in the strictest sense, Seance is one of those rare confluences. (And there would not be another such gestalt for The Church until Preist=Aura, which launched them into truly progressive rock.)

From the opening notes of "Fly," you can tell that The Church had become a far more confident band, and was developing a more "textured" and (even if not fully developed yet) progressive sound: the keyboard in the chorus is both strong and perfect, the strings (a new element) are used tastefully and appropriately, and the use of percussion instead of drums signals a very different approach to writing and arrangement. (As an aside, "Fly" may be the most perfect 2-minute song in progressive rock.) "Fly" leads directly into "One Day" with a strong, Beatle-esque guitar, a slightly syncopated backbeat, and Kilbey's first virtually monotone delivery, which not only works effectively, but is actually quite compelling. (Peter Koppes also takes a neat solo.) "Electric" opens with a nice rhythm guitar/drum pattern again, and a very interesting lead guitar part. The keyboard and general arrangement of the chorus are lush with progressive sensibilities. "It's No Reason" is the first Church song to open with and feature keyboards, and the chorus is a beautiful, melancholy mix of acoustic guitar, keyboards, and a subtle string arrangement, giving it an almost Moody Blues-ish quality. "Travel By Thought" is a mish-mash of progressive elements, and seems more like an "experiment" than a cohesive idea (it also sounds like a "nod" to XTC's "Travels in Nihilon," which was released the year before and has a very similar drum figure and general arrangment). "Disappear" makes effective use of acoustic guitar, a simple syncopated beat (they were starting to get really good at this - and would get even better in the future), and Harrison-esque lead fills. "Electric Lash" finds the band having some fun with its former approach (even slyly bringing in the guitar figure from "Sisters"), although with a strange snare effect and a nice keyboard figure. "Now I Wonder Why" is underpinned by a wonderful McCartney-esque bass figure (is there a pattern developing here?...), which at times follows the vocal. The keyboards at the bridge add a nice touch. "Dropping Names" is an interesting amalgam of the band's former and current approaches: a solid rock beat and jangly guitars, mixed with subtle keyboards, sound effects, textures, etc. "It Doesn't Change" closes the album with a haunting, quasi-paranoid (read "Floydian"), minimalist arrangement of arpeggiated guitar, drums, solid bass, and increasingly present keyboards - an approach that would eventually become part of their "signature" sound.

Overall, "Seance" is the band's first "progressive" album, in as much as they were clearly applying their growing progressive sensibilities in a conscious manner. And given the "basic rock" approach of the majority of their prior material, "Seance" is a truly unexpected and wonderful offering. As importantly, it was the beginning of the first of three short "periods" that the band would go through, all of which were initiated by breakthrough albums. "Seance" was to The Church's "growth" as "Foxtrot" was to Genesis, "Time and A Word" was to Yes, and "Atom Heart Mother" was to Pink Floyd - all of those albums were great, but presaged even greater things to come.

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#27029) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Review by hdfisch
3 stars 20 years ago when I had my "Indie phase" I liked to listen to this band together with their contemporaries like U 2, The Pretenders, The Stranglers, The Cure and so one. But in fact that was all Indie Rock for me and they never stood out of the others in my view. That's why I never concentrated on them actually; at that time I knew only their first two albums and sometime in the 90's I bought Gold Afternoon Fix which was that much disappointing for me that I gave them up somehow and lost interest. Until recently when I had some "nostalgic" moment and digged out the old CHURCH records (to remember "My God I was still bloody young at that time") this was the moment when I listened to the album Seance for the first time (21 years after its release). But I have to say I have not been impressed very much by it, sure their sound changed, became much more textured by using lush keyboard strings alongside the guitars. Maybe I would have been fascinated by it at that time but in fact I concentrated more on MARILLION in the 80's whose music can't be compared to this one since the one of CHURCH is in fact not intricate at all and sounds to my ears (that have listen already quite a lot of different stuff) more like some better atmospheric Indie Rock songs. Yes the lyrics are surely quite deep, but the main problem I have with this record are in fact the very weak drums that sound sometimes even like a drum machine. But anyway the rhythm section in this kind of music using most of the time the same simple rhythms is the reason for that it fails to catch my attraction.

For sure Fly, Disappear? or Electric Lash are very fine songs and in the poor 80's music scene THE CHURCH have been one of the few better bands but listening to it nowadays I've got to say they don't give me much and there are enough far more interesting bands at least for my taste. I will not try to describe each track in detail because for sure I could not do it half as good as my co-reviewer mainly for the reason it's not the type of music I'm much interested in.

So as a SUMMARY IMHO I can't see (or hear) any reason to compare this album to ones like Foxtrot or Time and a word and to call it a "masterpiece in progresssive rock" because simply its music is far to little intricate for this comparison. I think it deserves a solid 3 star rating (maybe one half more, but it's not possible) since I don't regard it as an essential one. But this is as usually just a matter of personal taste and favour.

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#1) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This Australian band doesn't share a lot of reviews on PA; which is kind of normal given the type of music they have offered so far. Their fully new wave oriented music has little to do with progressive music and the very good "New Day" is again anything but prog: fine and hectic pop, upbeat and very optimistic. A very good song indeed which relates to their previous efforts by all means.

Most songs featured here are seriously new wave oriented even if keys are more on the front line than before. A song as "It's No Reason" holds all the elements of the early eighties: catchy, popish, melodic. Some sort of tranquil OMD or so. But I like it.

Some tribal beats for "Travel By Thought" could remind of "Adam & The Ants" but the whole sounds more as the great "Echo & The Bunnymen". Somewhat hectic and not structured shall I say. The weakest song from this work as far as I'm concerned.

Most of this album is a fine remembering of some of the good music played during the early eighties (which was not too frequent). I am quite nostalgic of this period (but obviously not for prog reasons). It was a fun period, concerts were great and full of atmosphere. But far away from prog.

To be truly honest, I have to admit that after "Electric Lash", this album sounds somewhat repetitive and for the very first time in their career a bit dull as well ("Now I Wonder Why"). If you would except the very good instrumental closing part "It Doesn't Change" is quite mellow and inexpressive.

Unlike other fellow reviewers, I don't believe that this one is their best effort so far; on the contrary: it seems to me that there is a bit of breathlessness figured on "Seance". Still, it is a good album that deserves the three stars rating.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#235873) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009

4 stars "SeancÚ" was the first serious approach to find the true identity of this band after two albums that were not very much related with the sound we are used to. And for a first approach, the result was pretty much convincing, although we should remember that we find the band at a quite early sta ... (read more)

Report this review (#54392) | Posted by shyman | Wednesday, November 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE CHURCH "Seance"