SEANCE

1. Fly (2:12)
2. One Day (4:36)
3. Electric (6:03)
4. It's No Reason (5:54)
5. Travel By Thought (4:35)
6. Disappear? (5:46)
7. Electric Lash (4:25)
8. Now I Wonder Why (5:40)
9. Dropping Names (2:57)
10. It Doesn't Change (5:52)

Search THE CHURCH Seance lyrics

Search THE CHURCH Seance tabs

- Richard Ploog / drums, bongos, tambourine
- Steve Kilbey / vocals, bass, keyboards, string arrangements
- Peter Koppes / guitar, Hammond organ
- marty Willson-Piper / guitars, vocals

CD Arista ARCD-8565

THE CHURCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE CHURCH Seance Music

HOLY TRINITY ENSEMBLE Church of God in Christ COGIC New York City GOSPEL US $9.99 [0 bids]
31m 50s
Native American Flute Background Tracks - By Mark Church US $10.99 [0 bids]
33m 57s
Dream a Dream by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2000, Sony Classical) US $4.99 [0 bids]
47m 29s
Charlotte Church - Dream A Dream - CD - NO SCRATCHES US $6.99 Buy It Now 49m 29s
Respighi / Lopez-cobos / Cso Church Windows / Brazilian Impressio CD US $6.53 Buy It Now 55m 27s
The Church - Sometime Anywhere (CD) NEW/SEALED US $6.63 Buy It Now 56m 23s
ZNÖWHITE - ALL HAIL TO THEE 12" EP - Org.Enigma USA 1984 - metal church exciter US $39.90 Buy It Now 1h
The Church CD Heyday 1985 Arista Australia Kilbey OOP Willson-Piper US $9.99 [0 bids]
EUGENE CHURCH: PRETTY GIRLS EVERYWHERE / FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE ~1967 CLASS VG+ US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 7m
JD Crowe & the Kentucky Mountain Boys - The Model Church LP (Lemco, 1971) VG+ US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Eugene Church King 45 Record #5545 VG You Got The Right Idea / Mind Your Own US $15.00 Buy It Now 1h 14m
Williamson/ Shaw(Vinyl LP)20th Century Church Light Music-Pye Sacred-VG+/Ex US $18.44 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Various(Vinyl LP)Opera And Church Music Vol V-HMV-HLP 12-UK-Ex/VG+ US $18.44 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Various(Vinyl LP)Opera And Church Music Vol V-HMV-HLP 12-UK-Ex/VG+ US $21.29 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Williamson/ Shaw(Vinyl LP)20th Century Church Light Music-Pye Sacred-VG+/Ex US $21.29 Buy It Now 1h 17m
METAL CHURCH - MAGAZINE CENTRESPREAD POSTER (REF 3) US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 17m
The Choir Of St Marks Church(Vinyl LP)Sing And Rejoice-Decca-LK 4543-UK-VG+/Ex US $16.76 Buy It Now 1h 17m
The Choir Of St Marks Church(Vinyl LP)Sing And Rejoice-Decca-LK 4543-UK-VG+/Ex US $20.29 Buy It Now 1h 17m
Lopez-Cobos/Cincinnati So - Respighi: Church Windows Brazilian Impressi [CD New] US $9.48 Buy It Now 1h 26m
THE LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH S/T 1982 12" Vinyl dead boys damned sham 69 DANFORTH US $31.98 Buy It Now 1h 31m
THE CHURCH OF HAWKWIND LP RECORD MUSIC RCA RECORDS DAVE BROCK HARVEY BAINBRIDGE US $4.99 [1 bids]
The Revelation Baptist Church Mass Choir ,1970's Black Gospel LP, Nice VG++! US $16.95 Buy It Now 1h 38m
EMERGING VOICES JESUS CULTURE MUSIC CD ROCK CONTEMPORARY RELIGIOUS CHURCH JESUS US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 53m
BLACK GOSPEL LP The Second Baptist Church Gospel Chorus US $7.20 Buy It Now 1h 53m
GAITHER VOCAL BAND HYMNS GOSPEL SOUTHERN CHURCH RELIGIOUS GOD CROSS JESUS CD US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 56m
MIKE BOWLING GOSPEL SOUTHERN CHURCH RELIGIOUS GOD CROSS JESUS CD KENNY HINSON US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 3m
CLASSICAL LP: HANDEL Utrecht Te Deum Jubilate CHRIST CHURCH CATH Ancient Music US $8.95 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Voice of an Angel by Charlotte Church, Meinir Heulyn... US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 5m
Orlando Gibbons Church Music, Vol. 1 The Clerkes of Oxenford David Wulstan,Dir US $12.99 Buy It Now 2h 16m
THE ALLELUIA RINGERS - ADULT CHOIR - TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH MERRILL WIS - EX US $4.99 [0 bids]
Sing About His Love CD Saddleback Church 25th Anniversary Worship Song Collectio US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Our God is Lifted Up CD Christ Church Choir Live Christian US $9.00 Buy It Now 2h 17m
All About Love CD by Rick Muchow Christian Music Saddleback Church US $9.00 Buy It Now 2h 18m
Prelude...The Best of Charlotte Church by Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-2002, Sony) US $4.99 [0 bids]
Rare LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Craig Morgan 2 CD Promo US $14.99 [0 bids]
METAL CHURCH "BLESSING IN DISGUISE", LP, 1989, RARE! US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
METAL CHURCH "THE DARK", LP, 1986, RARE! US $24.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
Sinners Like Me by Eric Church Cracked Case US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
THE MASS CHOIR of the TRENTON CHURCH OF CHRIST - We Would Never Pray - GOSPEL LP US $15.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
THE LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH M-STYLE 7" UK US $8.49 Buy It Now 2h 49m
R.O. Dean and Mount Carmel M.B. Church Gospel Choir CD US $16.95 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Robert Degrimston Process church holy terror 4P PATCH Cross Integrity dwid US $6.66 Buy It Now 2h 50m
Woods Memorial Presbyterian Church Senior Choir / 12" Vinyl LP / Severna Park MD US $11.66 Buy It Now 2h 51m
NEW CD Christian Springhill Worship Fourth Avenue Church Of Christ US $9.34 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Still Sealed Henry Purcell Church Music LP-Allegro LEG 9002 US $4.99 [0 bids]
75 SINGER/SONGWRITER CD LOT COLLECTION Dido;Charlotte Church FREE SHIPPING US $39.99 [0 bids]
Jesus Is Real - True Worshipper Of God Missionary Baptist Church - GOSPEL LP US $14.95 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Metal Church "The Dark" Original 1986 CD US $2.00 [1 bids]
Charlotte Church by Charlotte Church (Cassette, -NEW US $3.99 [0 bids]
North United Methodist Church Choir Gospel LP Album Indianapolis IN sealed US $1.99 [0 bids]
Congressional Comment LP September 1969 #24 United Church Of Christ Bill Brock US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Congressional Comment LP July 1969 #18 United Church Of Christ Charles Wilson US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Congressional Comment LP June 1969 #17 United Church Of Christ Thomas Dodd US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Lecrae Church Clothes [Digipak] CD 2013 Reach Christian Rap Hip Hop * NEW * SS * US $3.99 [1 bids]
CORNERSTONE CHURCH WORSHIP - HEART REVOLUTION NEW CD US $17.29 Buy It Now 3h 32m
Lecrae Church Clothes Vol. 2 [Digipak] CD 2013 Reach Christain Rap Hip Hop * SS US $4.50 [2 bids]
HAYON: MARIA THERESA MASS, ST. JOHN'S CHURCH LOS ANGELES, DAUGHERTY LP PAR 1009 US $37.48 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Stanford Wood Church Music Choir Magdalen Bernard Rose Alpha AVM 010 UK LP US $10.39 Buy It Now 3h 50m
CHURCH OF THE LIVING GOD TEMPLE #18: Praise God US $30.00 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Just Wave Hello, Charlotte Church, Good Single US $2.13 Buy It Now 4h 3m
Peter H Gilmore CD Church of Satan High Priest - Satanic Scriptures Anton LaVey US $9.99 [1 bids]
Snoop Dogg Presents Welcome To The Church: Tha Album CD NEW US $15.58 Buy It Now 4h 9m
LCA Sunday Church School Series 45 record Grade One US $4.00 [0 bids]
Billy Penn's Brother & the Telephone Church: Ruckus in Real Time. CD Sticky Mus US $30.00 Buy It Now 4h 20m
COWBOY CHURCH SUNDAY SCHOOL- IT IS NO SECRET VINYL 7" 45RPM BRUNSWICK p US $2.10 Buy It Now 4h 20m
Maclellan,Catherine Church Bell Blues (Dig) CD NEW US $15.65 Buy It Now 4h 21m
THE MORAL MAJORITY By THE ELECTRIC CHURCH, PLANTATION RECORDS, SHELBY SINGLETON US $3.00 [0 bids]
Church Arc CD NEW US $13.62 Buy It Now 4h 22m
The Weight of the World by Metal Church (CD, Jul-2004, Steamhammer) US $3.49 [0 bids]
A Light in the Dark by Metal Church (CD, Jun-2006, SPV) US $3.49 [0 bids]
SWEET HOME BAPTIST CHURCH Round Rock Texas Combined Choirs GOSPEL LP NM US $12.00 Buy It Now 4h 30m
THE LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH LIKE A VIRGIN 12" UK US $9.49 Buy It Now 4h 32m
STEVE KILBEY Freaky Conclusions CD & 24 PAGE BOOKLET THE CHURCH REFO:MATION US $10.50 [0 bids]
CHARLOTTE CHURCH - TISSUES AND ISSUES - CD - NEW - US $15.67 Buy It Now 4h 44m
Toxic Church: Systems Failure (CD: 1994 MTF Records) US $14.99 Buy It Now 4h 57m
Crowe,J.D. Model Church CD NEW US $13.94 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Lords Of The New Church Stories At Dusk CD NEW SEALED 2003 Brian James US $8.37 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Charlotte Church Enchantment CD Brand New US $9.00 Buy It Now 5h 4m
Metal Church This Present Wasteland CD NEW US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Roxette - Church Of Your Heart / I Call Your Name 45 rpm US $2.00 Buy It Now 5h 13m
Diplomats Presents Jones,Jim On My Way To Church CD NEW US $17.12 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Hammers of Misfortune Fields/Church of Broken Glass 2008 CD Metal Album New US $18.44 Buy It Now 5h 18m
GORGOROTH church - 2013 - WOVEN SEW ON PATCH official merchandise US $5.02 Buy It Now 5h 24m
JIMMY SWAGGART SINGS GREAT HYMNS OF THE CHURCH LP..MINT UNPLAYED VINYL..GOSPEL US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 24m
Tantalized - The Church PROMO PRO-A-2428 US $6.00 Buy It Now 5h 26m
STILL SEALED LP...: SONGS OF PRAISE, 1ST MENNONITE CHURCH: WE SING TO THEE-VOL 1 US $10.00 [0 bids]
Hymns I Learned in a Country Church by Barry Craft (CD, 2004, Bachman) US $8.95 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Voice of an Angel, Charlotte Church, Good US $3.75 Buy It Now 5h 35m
Prelude: The Best of Charlotte Church US $3.96 Buy It Now 5h 39m
CHURCH STREET FIVE-7'-45 on LEGRAND-(NIGHT WITH DADDY G US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 39m
Louvin Brothers , Audio CD, Church of Louvin US $13.86 Buy It Now 5h 39m
A CHURCH CHOIR Abide With Me / Sun Of My Soul 78 ZONOPHONE 2832 US $21.79 Buy It Now 5h 47m
Shane MacGowan and The Popes Church Of The Holy Spook Cd Single Ex US $8.39 Buy It Now 5h 47m
John Rutter: Te Deum & Other Church Music (CD, Collegium, AM) Cambridge Singers US $4.45 Buy It Now 5h 49m
Charlotte Church - Tissues and Issues 24HR POST!! US $6.69 Buy It Now 5h 56m
WILLOWS~CHURCH BELLS MAY RING~ROCKIN ROBIN~BOBBY DAY~45 US $4.95 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Buddy Miles Express - Electric Church : Soul Psych (sealed orig.) LP US $18.00 [0 bids]
Jimmy Church - Right On Time - Sound Stage 7 - Northern Soul US $24.99 [1 bids]
CLAUDE SHARPE & Old Hickory Singers on COLUMBIA 20588 Church in the Wildwood US $7.99 [0 bids]
O Come All Ye Faithful: Advent & Christmas - Church of The Good Shepherd (CD) US $9.99 Buy It Now 6h 13m

More places to buy THE CHURCH music online Buy THE CHURCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE CHURCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE CHURCH Seance ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(54%)

THE CHURCH Seance reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
5 stars [Third in a series] There are occasional (some might say rare) times when the confluence in a band is so fortuitous that it creates a kind of gestalt, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Although not "progressive" in the strictest sense, Seance is one of those rare confluences. (And there would not be another such gestalt for The Church until Preist=Aura, which launched them into truly progressive rock.)

From the opening notes of "Fly," you can tell that The Church had become a far more confident band, and was developing a more "textured" and (even if not fully developed yet) progressive sound: the keyboard in the chorus is both strong and perfect, the strings (a new element) are used tastefully and appropriately, and the use of percussion instead of drums signals a very different approach to writing and arrangement. (As an aside, "Fly" may be the most perfect 2-minute song in progressive rock.) "Fly" leads directly into "One Day" with a strong, Beatle-esque guitar, a slightly syncopated backbeat, and Kilbey's first virtually monotone delivery, which not only works effectively, but is actually quite compelling. (Peter Koppes also takes a neat solo.) "Electric" opens with a nice rhythm guitar/drum pattern again, and a very interesting lead guitar part. The keyboard and general arrangement of the chorus are lush with progressive sensibilities. "It's No Reason" is the first Church song to open with and feature keyboards, and the chorus is a beautiful, melancholy mix of acoustic guitar, keyboards, and a subtle string arrangement, giving it an almost Moody Blues-ish quality. "Travel By Thought" is a mish-mash of progressive elements, and seems more like an "experiment" than a cohesive idea (it also sounds like a "nod" to XTC's "Travels in Nihilon," which was released the year before and has a very similar drum figure and general arrangment). "Disappear" makes effective use of acoustic guitar, a simple syncopated beat (they were starting to get really good at this - and would get even better in the future), and Harrison-esque lead fills. "Electric Lash" finds the band having some fun with its former approach (even slyly bringing in the guitar figure from "Sisters"), although with a strange snare effect and a nice keyboard figure. "Now I Wonder Why" is underpinned by a wonderful McCartney-esque bass figure (is there a pattern developing here?...), which at times follows the vocal. The keyboards at the bridge add a nice touch. "Dropping Names" is an interesting amalgam of the band's former and current approaches: a solid rock beat and jangly guitars, mixed with subtle keyboards, sound effects, textures, etc. "It Doesn't Change" closes the album with a haunting, quasi-paranoid (read "Floydian"), minimalist arrangement of arpeggiated guitar, drums, solid bass, and increasingly present keyboards - an approach that would eventually become part of their "signature" sound.

Overall, "Seance" is the band's first "progressive" album, in as much as they were clearly applying their growing progressive sensibilities in a conscious manner. And given the "basic rock" approach of the majority of their prior material, "Seance" is a truly unexpected and wonderful offering. As importantly, it was the beginning of the first of three short "periods" that the band would go through, all of which were initiated by breakthrough albums. "Seance" was to The Church's "growth" as "Foxtrot" was to Genesis, "Time and A Word" was to Yes, and "Atom Heart Mother" was to Pink Floyd - all of those albums were great, but presaged even greater things to come.

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#27029) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Review by hdfisch
3 stars 20 years ago when I had my "Indie phase" I liked to listen to this band together with their contemporaries like U 2, The Pretenders, The Stranglers, The Cure and so one. But in fact that was all Indie Rock for me and they never stood out of the others in my view. That's why I never concentrated on them actually; at that time I knew only their first two albums and sometime in the 90's I bought Gold Afternoon Fix which was that much disappointing for me that I gave them up somehow and lost interest. Until recently when I had some "nostalgic" moment and digged out the old CHURCH records (to remember "My God I was still bloody young at that time") this was the moment when I listened to the album Seance for the first time (21 years after its release). But I have to say I have not been impressed very much by it, sure their sound changed, became much more textured by using lush keyboard strings alongside the guitars. Maybe I would have been fascinated by it at that time but in fact I concentrated more on MARILLION in the 80's whose music can't be compared to this one since the one of CHURCH is in fact not intricate at all and sounds to my ears (that have listen already quite a lot of different stuff) more like some better atmospheric Indie Rock songs. Yes the lyrics are surely quite deep, but the main problem I have with this record are in fact the very weak drums that sound sometimes even like a drum machine. But anyway the rhythm section in this kind of music using most of the time the same simple rhythms is the reason for that it fails to catch my attraction.

For sure Fly, Disappear? or Electric Lash are very fine songs and in the poor 80's music scene THE CHURCH have been one of the few better bands but listening to it nowadays I've got to say they don't give me much and there are enough far more interesting bands at least for my taste. I will not try to describe each track in detail because for sure I could not do it half as good as my co-reviewer mainly for the reason it's not the type of music I'm much interested in.

So as a SUMMARY IMHO I can't see (or hear) any reason to compare this album to ones like Foxtrot or Time and a word and to call it a "masterpiece in progresssive rock" because simply its music is far to little intricate for this comparison. I think it deserves a solid 3 star rating (maybe one half more, but it's not possible) since I don't regard it as an essential one. But this is as usually just a matter of personal taste and favour.

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#1) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This Australian band doesn't share a lot of reviews on PA; which is kind of normal given the type of music they have offered so far. Their fully new wave oriented music has little to do with progressive music and the very good "New Day" is again anything but prog: fine and hectic pop, upbeat and very optimistic. A very good song indeed which relates to their previous efforts by all means.

Most songs featured here are seriously new wave oriented even if keys are more on the front line than before. A song as "It's No Reason" holds all the elements of the early eighties: catchy, popish, melodic. Some sort of tranquil OMD or so. But I like it.

Some tribal beats for "Travel By Thought" could remind of "Adam & The Ants" but the whole sounds more as the great "Echo & The Bunnymen". Somewhat hectic and not structured shall I say. The weakest song from this work as far as I'm concerned.

Most of this album is a fine remembering of some of the good music played during the early eighties (which was not too frequent). I am quite nostalgic of this period (but obviously not for prog reasons). It was a fun period, concerts were great and full of atmosphere. But far away from prog.

To be truly honest, I have to admit that after "Electric Lash", this album sounds somewhat repetitive and for the very first time in their career a bit dull as well ("Now I Wonder Why"). If you would except the very good instrumental closing part "It Doesn't Change" is quite mellow and inexpressive.

Unlike other fellow reviewers, I don't believe that this one is their best effort so far; on the contrary: it seems to me that there is a bit of breathlessness figured on "Seance". Still, it is a good album that deserves the three stars rating.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#235873) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009

4 stars "Seancé" was the first serious approach to find the true identity of this band after two albums that were not very much related with the sound we are used to. And for a first approach, the result was pretty much convincing, although we should remember that we find the band at a quite early sta ... (read more)

Report this review (#54392) | Posted by shyman | Wednesday, November 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE CHURCH "Seance"