SEANCE

1. Fly (2:12)
2. One Day (4:36)
3. Electric (6:03)
4. It's No Reason (5:54)
5. Travel By Thought (4:35)
6. Disappear? (5:46)
7. Electric Lash (4:25)
8. Now I Wonder Why (5:40)
9. Dropping Names (2:57)
10. It Doesn't Change (5:52)

Search THE CHURCH Seance lyrics

Search THE CHURCH Seance tabs

- Richard Ploog / drums, bongos, tambourine
- Steve Kilbey / vocals, bass, keyboards, string arrangements
- Peter Koppes / guitar, Hammond organ
- marty Willson-Piper / guitars, vocals

CD Arista ARCD-8565

THE CHURCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE CHURCH Seance Music

MESSIAH LUTHERAN CHURCH CATHEDRAL CHOIR HALLELUJAH LP US $5.00 Buy It Now 29m 56s
CHRIS CHURCH-Auralollipop/FLAT EARTH/The Jones/LENOIR NC/male vocal pop rock cd US $8.49 Buy It Now 30m 2s
Chief - Church,Eric New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $26.38 Buy It Now 30m 4s
The Gospel Associates The Old Country Church Southern Gospel LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
30m 13s
6/24 The Songsmen Quartet The Old Country Church Southern Gospel LP US $2.00 [0 bids]
31m 38s
Dream a Dream by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2000, Sony Classical) US $4.00 Buy It Now 42m 13s
The Church : Gold Afternoon Fix CD (1997) US $9.96 Buy It Now 42m 15s
THE ALLELUIA RINGERS - ADULT CHOIR - TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH MERRILL WIS - EX US $5.49 [0 bids]
42m 48s
33RPM United Sound 9456 Manitowoc Bicentennial Concert, Holy Innocents Church V+ US $24.95 Buy It Now 43m 32s
KILBEY, STEVE [of The Church]-PAINKILLER (DIG) CD NEW US $17.36 Buy It Now 46m 42s
Northland Community Church One Hallelujah CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 52m 13s
Bennett,Bennett,Church,Bennett,Bennett,Church,Domingo,Bennett,Bennett,Church,Ben US $3.25 Buy It Now 54m 10s
Fred Dobson Church in the Wildwood CD US $5.75 Buy It Now 54m 29s
PHILIPS BOX SET 2 X LP MOZART complete church sonatas for organ DANIEL CHORZEMPA US $18.00 Buy It Now 57m 6s
THE CHURCH Metropolis ULTRA RARE USA PROMO Radio DJ CD single 1990 ASCD9950 MINT US $24.99 Buy It Now 58m 25s
THE CHURCH You're Still beautiful USA 1TRK PROMO Radio DJ CD single 1990 MINT US $24.99 Buy It Now 58m 25s
The Cowboy Church Sunday School 45 "The Lord Is Counting On You" R370 US $1.50 [0 bids]
1h
Shango Cult / Shouters Church: CULT MUSIC OF TRINIDAD 1961 rare FOLKWAYS LP US $30.00 Buy It Now 1h 3m
Open Up Your Heart by Sue Ann and The Cowboy Church Chorus 1953 Sheet Music US $6.00 [0 bids]
Dead Boys LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH Live for today UK 7 INCH Vinyl DAMNED Sham 69 US $39.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Jim Hardin BLUEGRASS LP (QCA PTSLP504) Down To Earth & Back To Church RARE! SS! US $12.95 Buy It Now 1h 9m
THE CHURCH - UNTITLED #23 - NEW CD US $11.84 Buy It Now 1h 12m
Mr. Brown's Good Ol Time Church by David A. Mann Vocals CD, Apr-2007, Central US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 14m
CHURCH OF MISERY - THY KINGDOM SCUM NEW VINYL US $51.93 Buy It Now 1h 15m
Old Country Church Appalachian Gospel Instrumental - Scott,Mike New US $15.52 Buy It Now 1h 20m
MARGARET WHITING & JIMMY WAKELY: Let's Go To Church / Easter Parade 45 (intact US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 21m
Quit Playin Church - Todd & Focus Curry New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $13.74 Buy It Now 1h 21m
SEX CHURCH - GROWING OVER NEW VINYL US $24.64 Buy It Now 1h 22m
SEALED KAS MUS SKIRS Latvian Church Choir LP Private Label Harmonija HLP-3020 US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH MUSIC Vol 4 Burial Service of Our Lord Good Friday US $19.99 Buy It Now 1h 37m
Sacd Tony Bennett, Charlotte Church, Placido Domingo,Vanessa Williams Mint US $39.99 [0 bids]
orig press FATHER HERRERA & THE TRIO ESP JAZZ GOES TO CHURCH LP RECORD shrink VG US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Church of Rock and Roll, Foxy Shazam, New US $12.15 Buy It Now 1h 44m
The Hart Brothers - Church At Hickory Grove LP OHS-70085 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 52m
"7"-Steve Kilby EP-This Asphalt Eden+2 THE CHURCH '85 AUSSIE NEW AVE POWER POP US $14.99 [0 bids]
The Church CD Remote Luxury German Import CARRERE 1984 EX CD & Case Take A Look! US $9.95 [0 bids]
Five Forks Baptist Church Choir sing "Jesus Is The One" 33 rpm 12 LP record Good US $1.99 [0 bids]
"7"-The Church-Columbus/Trance Ending PS '85 aussie dreamy punk new wave US $9.99 [0 bids]
"7"-The Church-Under the Milkyway/Musk UK gatefold sleeve US $14.99 [0 bids]
The Church Megalopolis Never Played Promo CD 3 Songs US $0.99 [0 bids]
The Church Seance Tape 1983 Indie US $9.99 [0 bids]
Bethel Church Live For The Sake Of The World CD/DVD 2012 * NEW * SS * US $4.99 [0 bids]
CD-Hawkwind-The Church Of 70's UK hard rock psych prog US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Church - Metropolis- U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! US $9.98 Buy It Now 2h 13m
Bill Clifton You Go to Your Church / When You Kneel 7" vinyl 45 rpm STARDAY US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 14m
STUART HAMBLEN THE COWBOY CHURCH VINYL LP WORD RECORDS STEREO US $4.99 Buy It Now 2h 16m
CD-The Church Forget Yourself '03 AUSSIE PUNK NEW WAVE US $8.99 [0 bids]
Circle of Ouroborus-Maailma Uppoaaaa demo Urfaust Cosmic Church US $8.27 [8 bids]
Life Is A Church, DAVID PHELPS, Good US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 24m
Box Tops I Met Her in Church / People Gonna Talk 7" 45 EX Alex Chilton US $7.00 Buy It Now 2h 26m
NORTHEAST CHRISTIAN CHURCH PRESENTS CHANGED CD LIVE AT NORTHEAST US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 30m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH CD ALBUM DISPLAY FREE P+P!! US $66.20 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Metal Church - The Dark 1986 Cassette Metal US $3.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
Live At The Cheyenne Saloon Album still sealed unopened Church St Station FL US $6.99 [0 bids]
Ill Say Yes - Addison,Kalim & The Shiloh Baptist Church New & Sealed CD Free Shi US $27.29 Buy It Now 2h 49m
THE SHALLOWFORD BELL CHOIR - SHALLOWFORD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, ATLANTA, GEORGIA US $1.59 Buy It Now 2h 55m
J Church : Nostalgic for Nothing CD (1995) US $8.98 Buy It Now 2h 57m
DUSK I Hear Those Church Bells Ringing VG 45 RPM US $0.29 [1 bids]
Music from and Inspired by "I'm in Love with a Church Girl" (CD 2013) US $10.25 [0 bids]
The Best Of THE CHURCH, Under The Milky Way, NEW US $8.10 Buy It Now 3h
1993 - 2004 Spring Branch Community Church Live@ Eleven US $4.95 Buy It Now 3h
LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH M Style 12" Record 1984 Import US $17.50 Buy It Now 3h 3m
Charlotte Church by Sony Records [December 6, 1999] US $5.70 Buy It Now 3h 6m
METAL CHURCH - BLESSING IN DISGUISE - VINYL RECORD 2014 NEW US $36.99 Buy It Now 3h 7m
KARIN NELSON - CHRISTMAS IN HAGA CHURCH NEW CD US $26.06 Buy It Now 3h 10m
I Have A Hope Church CD 2000 New US $6.40 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Voice of an Angel - Church, Charlotte (CD 1999) US $3.95 Buy It Now 3h 11m
Arkhangelsky, A All Night Vigil & Hynms of the Russian Orthodox Church US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 26m
TIMBUK 3 rev jack and his roamin' cadillac church 12" 3 trk (irmt169) pic sleeve US $8.27 Buy It Now 3h 32m
LP 135 JIMMY SWAGGART SINGS THE GREAT HYMNS OF THE CHURCH LP US $5.25 Buy It Now 3h 37m
Charlotte Church - the eponymous album US $0.99 [0 bids]
Navajo Healing Songs of the NA Church Vol 2 US $10.25 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Sam Black Church : Let In Life CD (2010) US $5.97 Buy It Now 3h 45m
Chamaeleon Church-Same-MGM 4574-PSYCH CHEVY CHASE US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 47m
CULTURE CLUB Church Of The Poisoned Mind " P/S UK VS571 US $6.19 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Church Music CD by Dave Crowder - 17 Songs 2009 NEW US $15.50 Buy It Now 3h 56m
CD Gloryland 4 * Amazing Grace {United Methodist Church / Vandalia, Ohio} US $5.88 [0 bids]
Church Of Misery: The Second Coming CD 2012 Rise Above / Metal Blade Records NEW US $10.95 Buy It Now 4h
The Charlotte Church Collection [Box Set], New Music US $22.50 Buy It Now 4h 3m
LYNCHORD PRESENTS :Church Of God & Saints Of - Christian Music CCM Gospel CD US $5.99 Buy It Now 4h 3m
EVIL CHURCH Subjugating The Faith's Crawlers CD marduk US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Mozart - Exultate Jubilate & other Church Music - Pal Nemeth US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
Soul Promo 45 LILLIE JENKINS Get Right Church on Jewel US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 12m
Claudia Church - "Claudia Church" - CD US $2.00 [0 bids]
Old Country Church by Dove Brothers (CD, Apr-2005, Crossroads (Music Box... US $13.99 [0 bids]
Born Again Bluegrass Band Old Country Church Private 1980 Gospel Xian Country US $19.99 [0 bids]
Gospel J.D. Sumner & The Stamps Let's Have Church US $6.99 [0 bids]
STEVE KILBEY The Slow Crack RARE 1989 LP RECORD The Church STILL SEALED vinyl !! US $35.00 Buy It Now 4h 24m
BOY GEORGE CULTURE CLUB RARE 1983 GERMANY 12INCH VINYL church of the poison mind US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 32m
NEW FRIENDSHIP BAPTIST CHURCH CHOIR LP 7604 COTTAGE GROVE CHICAGO HAROLD FREEMAN US $9.99 [0 bids]
Church In The Wildwood LP From Publishing Co Vault Ritter,Jordanaires NM/VG+ US $3.99 [0 bids]
Metal Church, Metal Church, Very Good US $11.42 Buy It Now 4h 45m
CHURCH STARFISH DIGIPAK 2 CD NEW 2011 VERSION US $22.31 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Charlotte Church by Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999) US $4.00 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Starfish by The Church [Music CD, Oct-1990, Arista] US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 49m
Charlotte Church 2 CD's "Voice of an Angel" and "Charlotte Church" US $1.99 [0 bids]
Church Girl - Onitsha New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $12.62 Buy It Now 5h
CHURCH - EL MOMENTO SIGUIENTE NEW CD US $21.11 Buy It Now 5h 3m
Joyful Noise - Pass It On LP Como Park Lutheran Church MN Marcy Erickson US $18.00 Buy It Now 5h 6m
Mass Media Folksingers St. Anthony Church, Hightstown N.J. US $7.50 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE CHURCH music online Buy THE CHURCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE CHURCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE CHURCH Seance ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(54%)

THE CHURCH Seance reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
5 stars [Third in a series] There are occasional (some might say rare) times when the confluence in a band is so fortuitous that it creates a kind of gestalt, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Although not "progressive" in the strictest sense, Seance is one of those rare confluences. (And there would not be another such gestalt for The Church until Preist=Aura, which launched them into truly progressive rock.)

From the opening notes of "Fly," you can tell that The Church had become a far more confident band, and was developing a more "textured" and (even if not fully developed yet) progressive sound: the keyboard in the chorus is both strong and perfect, the strings (a new element) are used tastefully and appropriately, and the use of percussion instead of drums signals a very different approach to writing and arrangement. (As an aside, "Fly" may be the most perfect 2-minute song in progressive rock.) "Fly" leads directly into "One Day" with a strong, Beatle-esque guitar, a slightly syncopated backbeat, and Kilbey's first virtually monotone delivery, which not only works effectively, but is actually quite compelling. (Peter Koppes also takes a neat solo.) "Electric" opens with a nice rhythm guitar/drum pattern again, and a very interesting lead guitar part. The keyboard and general arrangement of the chorus are lush with progressive sensibilities. "It's No Reason" is the first Church song to open with and feature keyboards, and the chorus is a beautiful, melancholy mix of acoustic guitar, keyboards, and a subtle string arrangement, giving it an almost Moody Blues-ish quality. "Travel By Thought" is a mish-mash of progressive elements, and seems more like an "experiment" than a cohesive idea (it also sounds like a "nod" to XTC's "Travels in Nihilon," which was released the year before and has a very similar drum figure and general arrangment). "Disappear" makes effective use of acoustic guitar, a simple syncopated beat (they were starting to get really good at this - and would get even better in the future), and Harrison-esque lead fills. "Electric Lash" finds the band having some fun with its former approach (even slyly bringing in the guitar figure from "Sisters"), although with a strange snare effect and a nice keyboard figure. "Now I Wonder Why" is underpinned by a wonderful McCartney-esque bass figure (is there a pattern developing here?...), which at times follows the vocal. The keyboards at the bridge add a nice touch. "Dropping Names" is an interesting amalgam of the band's former and current approaches: a solid rock beat and jangly guitars, mixed with subtle keyboards, sound effects, textures, etc. "It Doesn't Change" closes the album with a haunting, quasi-paranoid (read "Floydian"), minimalist arrangement of arpeggiated guitar, drums, solid bass, and increasingly present keyboards - an approach that would eventually become part of their "signature" sound.

Overall, "Seance" is the band's first "progressive" album, in as much as they were clearly applying their growing progressive sensibilities in a conscious manner. And given the "basic rock" approach of the majority of their prior material, "Seance" is a truly unexpected and wonderful offering. As importantly, it was the beginning of the first of three short "periods" that the band would go through, all of which were initiated by breakthrough albums. "Seance" was to The Church's "growth" as "Foxtrot" was to Genesis, "Time and A Word" was to Yes, and "Atom Heart Mother" was to Pink Floyd - all of those albums were great, but presaged even greater things to come.

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#27029) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Review by hdfisch
3 stars 20 years ago when I had my "Indie phase" I liked to listen to this band together with their contemporaries like U 2, The Pretenders, The Stranglers, The Cure and so one. But in fact that was all Indie Rock for me and they never stood out of the others in my view. That's why I never concentrated on them actually; at that time I knew only their first two albums and sometime in the 90's I bought Gold Afternoon Fix which was that much disappointing for me that I gave them up somehow and lost interest. Until recently when I had some "nostalgic" moment and digged out the old CHURCH records (to remember "My God I was still bloody young at that time") this was the moment when I listened to the album Seance for the first time (21 years after its release). But I have to say I have not been impressed very much by it, sure their sound changed, became much more textured by using lush keyboard strings alongside the guitars. Maybe I would have been fascinated by it at that time but in fact I concentrated more on MARILLION in the 80's whose music can't be compared to this one since the one of CHURCH is in fact not intricate at all and sounds to my ears (that have listen already quite a lot of different stuff) more like some better atmospheric Indie Rock songs. Yes the lyrics are surely quite deep, but the main problem I have with this record are in fact the very weak drums that sound sometimes even like a drum machine. But anyway the rhythm section in this kind of music using most of the time the same simple rhythms is the reason for that it fails to catch my attraction.

For sure Fly, Disappear? or Electric Lash are very fine songs and in the poor 80's music scene THE CHURCH have been one of the few better bands but listening to it nowadays I've got to say they don't give me much and there are enough far more interesting bands at least for my taste. I will not try to describe each track in detail because for sure I could not do it half as good as my co-reviewer mainly for the reason it's not the type of music I'm much interested in.

So as a SUMMARY IMHO I can't see (or hear) any reason to compare this album to ones like Foxtrot or Time and a word and to call it a "masterpiece in progresssive rock" because simply its music is far to little intricate for this comparison. I think it deserves a solid 3 star rating (maybe one half more, but it's not possible) since I don't regard it as an essential one. But this is as usually just a matter of personal taste and favour.

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#1) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This Australian band doesn't share a lot of reviews on PA; which is kind of normal given the type of music they have offered so far. Their fully new wave oriented music has little to do with progressive music and the very good "New Day" is again anything but prog: fine and hectic pop, upbeat and very optimistic. A very good song indeed which relates to their previous efforts by all means.

Most songs featured here are seriously new wave oriented even if keys are more on the front line than before. A song as "It's No Reason" holds all the elements of the early eighties: catchy, popish, melodic. Some sort of tranquil OMD or so. But I like it.

Some tribal beats for "Travel By Thought" could remind of "Adam & The Ants" but the whole sounds more as the great "Echo & The Bunnymen". Somewhat hectic and not structured shall I say. The weakest song from this work as far as I'm concerned.

Most of this album is a fine remembering of some of the good music played during the early eighties (which was not too frequent). I am quite nostalgic of this period (but obviously not for prog reasons). It was a fun period, concerts were great and full of atmosphere. But far away from prog.

To be truly honest, I have to admit that after "Electric Lash", this album sounds somewhat repetitive and for the very first time in their career a bit dull as well ("Now I Wonder Why"). If you would except the very good instrumental closing part "It Doesn't Change" is quite mellow and inexpressive.

Unlike other fellow reviewers, I don't believe that this one is their best effort so far; on the contrary: it seems to me that there is a bit of breathlessness figured on "Seance". Still, it is a good album that deserves the three stars rating.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#235873) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009

4 stars "SeancÚ" was the first serious approach to find the true identity of this band after two albums that were not very much related with the sound we are used to. And for a first approach, the result was pretty much convincing, although we should remember that we find the band at a quite early sta ... (read more)

Report this review (#54392) | Posted by shyman | Wednesday, November 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE CHURCH "Seance"