SEANCE

1. Fly (2:12)
2. One Day (4:36)
3. Electric (6:03)
4. It's No Reason (5:54)
5. Travel By Thought (4:35)
6. Disappear? (5:46)
7. Electric Lash (4:25)
8. Now I Wonder Why (5:40)
9. Dropping Names (2:57)
10. It Doesn't Change (5:52)

Search THE CHURCH Seance lyrics

Search THE CHURCH Seance tabs

- Richard Ploog / drums, bongos, tambourine
- Steve Kilbey / vocals, bass, keyboards, string arrangements
- Peter Koppes / guitar, Hammond organ
- marty Willson-Piper / guitars, vocals

CD Arista ARCD-8565

THE CHURCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE CHURCH Seance Music

ARNOLD GUTBUCKET BAND "CHURCH STREET" RARE 1978 LP (ASH RECORDS ASH001) US $19.36 Buy It Now 38m 39s
CHARLOTTE CHURCH... US $14.99 Buy It Now 1h 2m
Charlotte Church - Enchantment(2001,CD,Columbia,Sony Music)16 Tracks~Euro Import US $5.99 Buy It Now 1h 20m
ZNOWHITE - ACT OF GOD CD SPEED METAL THRASH METAL SENTINEL BEAST METAL CHURCH US $7.90 [1 bids]
MARSHALL LAW - POWER GAME CD JUDAS PRIEST METAL CHURCH HELSTAR CRIMSON GLORY US $7.90 [0 bids]
SANCTUARY -INTO THE MIRROR LIVE/BLACK REFLECTIONS CD CONTROL DENIED METAL CHURCH US $7.90 [1 bids]
Voice of an Angel - Charlotte Church (CD 1999) US $3.99 Buy It Now 2h 4m
Eric Church The Outsiders RSD 2014 Vinyl LP Bonus Songs + Poster Ltd. Ed. 3,000 US $42.95 Buy It Now 2h 12m
Lords Of The New Church - Is Nothing Sacred? [CD New] US $14.54 Buy It Now 2h 16m
Lords Of The New Church [CD New] US $14.54 Buy It Now 2h 16m
The Choir Of St Marks Church(Vinyl LP)Sing And Rejoice-Decca-LK 4543-UK-VG/VG US $13.58 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Free Church Choir Union(Vinyl LP)Anthems & Hymns-Studio Republic-SRM 12057-VG/Ex US $25.48 Buy It Now 2h 22m
The Choir Of St Marks Church(Vinyl LP)Sing And Rejoice-Decca-LK 4543-UK-VG+/VG US $15.28 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Cowboy Church Sunday School(7" Vinyl 3rd State)The Little Black Sheep-UK-Ex/Ex+ US $10.18 Buy It Now 2h 22m
Philippines METAL CHURCH - The Dark CASSETTE Rare THRASH Metal REVEREND Scarce!! US $29.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
THE CHURCH The Best Of The Radio Songs CD BRAND NEW Steve Kilbey US $13.96 Buy It Now 2h 39m
HAWKWIND - CHURCH OF HAWKWIND - NEW CD US $13.87 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Wanda & Friends Vick - Church In The Wildwood (2008) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.34 Buy It Now 2h 46m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH, TISSUS AND ISSUES, CD US $6.36 Buy It Now 2h 59m
Official Poster For Steve Kilby (The Church) Nov 2013 US $23.50 [0 bids]
BOY GEORGE CULTURE CLUB RARE 1983 MX 12" VINYL SEALED! church of the poison mind US $79.99 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Starfish by Church (The) (CD, Oct-1990, Arista) US $2.99 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Eugene Church - Pretty Girls Everywhere VG++ 1958 US $16.99 [0 bids]
JACK SABBATH-Undead Garage Manifesto-CHRIS CHURCH-NC-Cd US $8.49 Buy It Now 3h 18m
John Foxx The Garden Uk Lp w huge book The Church US $19.99 Buy It Now 3h 28m
PRELUDE: THE BEST OF CHARLOTTE CHURCH [WITH BONUS DVD] - NEW CD BOXSET US $23.33 Buy It Now 3h 31m
MATHIAS (CHRIST) (CHURCH) (CATHEDRAL) (CHOIR) (/) (DARLINGTON) - NEW CD US $22.50 Buy It Now 3h 48m
CHARLES G HAYES / COSMOPOLITAN CHURCH PRAYER CHOIR - BACK AGAIN NEW CD US $20.18 Buy It Now 3h 49m
Adult Choir Of Saint Rita's Church Dayton Ohio LP Christmas & Hymns 91131 NM US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 51m
100 Church Classics - 3 CD's - Madacy Christian - Old Favorites - Free Shipping US $7.45 [0 bids]
Louvin Brothers - The Church Of Louvin - PSALM2349 US $16.93 Buy It Now 4h 13m
ROXETTE * CHURCH OF YOUR HEART & I CALL YOUR NAME * 45 RPM US $4.75 Buy It Now 4h 19m
Pop, Doo Wop, Instrumental. CHURCH KEY by THE REVELS on the IMPACT label. US $4.00 [0 bids]
6 Christmas CD Lot: George Strait, Charlotte Church, Norman Rockwell... US $10.95 Buy It Now 4h 47m
Is Nothing Sacred? by The Lords of the New Church (CD, Sep-2013, Real Gone... US $11.57 Buy It Now 4h 49m
The Lords of the New Church by The Lords of the New Church (CD, Sep-2013,... US $11.59 Buy It Now 4h 49m
ERIC CHURCH - CAUGHT IN THE ACT LIVE NEW CD US $17.10 Buy It Now 4h 58m
Rare Decca Promo 78 RED FOLEY remember me w Judy Martin Let's Go Church US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 59m
Gloria Dei Choir Of Holy Ghost Church Bethlehem Pa. Sealed LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 59m
METAL CHURCH - Generation Nothing CD, Digi - Rat Pak Rec. 2013 Brand NEW Sealed US $17.00 Buy It Now 4h 59m
All Soul's Choir - Noel Tredinnick - Hymns For Today's Church - Word - WST9623 US $6.78 Buy It Now 5h 12m
MODEL CHURCH:BEST OF BLUEG / VARIOUS NEW CD US $10.56 Buy It Now 5h 18m
Build Thee More Stately Mansions Choir of Central Christian Church Sealed US $12.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Cathedral Bellringers Episcopal Church St. Philip Westminster WP6059 SEALED US $34.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
DARK MIRROR Visions of Pain power thrash metal Rare Church Anvil Fates Warning US $17.00 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Oh Lord You're Beautiful THE TIMES SQUARE CHURCH CHILDREN'S CHOIR cd NICE Your US $9.12 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $6.91 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Therapy?(CD Single Promo)Church Of Noise-A & M US $11.54 Buy It Now 5h 32m
J Church Society Is A Carnivorous Flowe CD NEW (UK Import) US $12.82 Buy It Now 5h 33m
Gospel Religious Enduring Power Voices Of The White Rock Baptist Church 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
WEELKES (CHRIST) (CHURCH) (CATHEDRAL) (CHOIR) (/) (DARLINGTON) - NEW CD US $24.04 Buy It Now 5h 37m
CASSETTE TAPE JOHNNY MANN SINGERS THE CHURCH'S ONE FOUNDATION 1975 LEXICON MUSIC US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 41m
In Jesus' Name: Songs of the Native American Church Leeann Brady music cd US $14.95 Buy It Now 5h 42m
Bach - Helmut Walcha - Schnitger Organ St Laurence Church - DG Tulips - 135046 US $20.38 Buy It Now 5h 43m
CHURCH OF MISERY - THE SECOND COMING - SALVATION LABEL - ELECTRIC WIZARD US $74.79 Buy It Now 5h 46m
Enchantment by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2001, Columbia (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Vivaldi: Gloria; Handel: Utrecht Te Deum Christ Church /AAM/Simon Preston CD US $3.49 Buy It Now 5h 49m
The Outsiders by Eric Church (CD, Feb-2014, Capitol Nashville) US $6.50 [7 bids]
ANDRAE CROUCH LET THE CHURCH SAY AMEN (ACCOMPANIMENT PERFORMANCE TRACK) US $8.25 Buy It Now 5h 50m
BELL GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH CHOIR FEATURING REV. WILLIE MORGANFIELD NEW SEALED LP US $21.99 Buy It Now 5h 52m
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE OLD COUNTRY CHURCH- GUIDEPOSTS SET - 10 CASSETTES US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 58m
ALMOST YESTERDAY BY THE CHURCH (COMPILATION, DEC-1994, RAVEN) US $25.99 [0 bids]
6h
Alpha Book 2 Year 1 Songs by Chapel Choir Nauraushaun Presbyterian Church Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
1ST BAPTIST CHURCH OF DALLAS CHOIR For Thee I Sing US $11.00 Buy It Now 6h 17m
THE CHURCH.TERRA NOVA CAIN + 2 NON-LP TRKS.12" PROMO US $11.01 Buy It Now 6h 35m
DRUG CHURCH - PAUL WALKER NEW CD US $19.41 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Rejoice St. Ann's Church Choir New Britain Ct LP 5002 US $7.20 Buy It Now 6h 55m
CHURCH KEYS Work With It!!! LP NEW SEALED VINYL GARAGE ROCK A-BONES US $17.99 Buy It Now 6h 55m
DOO-WOP CLASSIC ***THE WILLOWS --- CHURCH BELLS MAY RING US $20.00 Buy It Now 7h
CHARLOTTE CHURCH - BACK TO SCRATCH _ CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
MAURICE ELWIN Baritone Little old church in the valley 78 Zonophone 5944 US $22.08 Buy It Now 7h 7m
SALEM MASSACHUSETTS Congregational Church GERMAN CHOIR CD VERY RARE OOP US $39.95 Buy It Now 7h 8m
RED FOLEY CHURCH IN THE WILDWOOD . PICKWICK LP US $3.65 Buy It Now 7h 24m
NEW - Church of the Apostles. Ordo US $12.99 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Bach Telemann German Church Cantatas & Arias Accent Rare Mint Classical LP US $22.08 Buy It Now 7h 24m
Britten Benjamin Church Music Oxford Choir Rare LP US $16.98 Buy It Now 7h 27m
Charlotte Church - Charlotte Church (1999) CD SPEEDYPOST US $1.68 Buy It Now 7h 28m
Surf Classic - REVELS - (HEAR) - "CHURCH KEY" b/w "VESUVIUS" on IMPACT (VG+) US $15.00 Buy It Now 7h 37m
CULTURE CLUB-CHURCH POISON MIND/MYSTERY BOY US M- 45+PS US $4.98 Buy It Now 7h 39m
CULTURE CLUB-CHURCH 0F POISON MIND/MAN SHAKE EU 45+PS US $5.98 Buy It Now 7h 39m
1972 Ralph E. Jerles Music From The Mother Church Organ LP NEW STILL SEALED US $5.50 Buy It Now 7h 40m
RICK MUCHOW-West Coast Worship/THE GOSPEL EXPRESSIONS/Saddleback Church/ROCK-Cd US $10.99 Buy It Now 7h 41m
WILLOWS 78 1ST PRESS TYPOGRAPHIC CHURCH BELLS "ARE" RINGING LBL MISTAKE MELBA US $24.99 [0 bids]
Disc-Church Clothes V2 * NEW ITEM! US $18.23 Buy It Now 7h 46m
METAL CHURCH THE HUMAN FACTOR 180GM LP VINYL NEW US $35.68 Buy It Now 7h 51m
Little Church on the Prairie: Hymns from the Open Range US $13.29 Buy It Now 7h 56m
The Church: Called and Collected CD US $15.29 Buy It Now 7h 57m
CD SEALED CECE WINANS "BORN AGAIN CHURCH CHOIR" US $3.95 [0 bids]
8h
Ceremonial Tudor Church Music Purcell Chorus Voices Choristers St Paul BURGESS US $9.95 Buy It Now 8h
Eric Church - Chief NEW CD US $15.86 Buy It Now 8h 7m
Church Choirs Vocal Groups - Vol. 4-Church Choirs Vocal Gro [CD New] US $13.86 Buy It Now 8h 11m
Church - Uninvited Like The Clouds [CD New] US $15.86 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Church,Eric - Sinners Like Me [Vinyl New] US $13.46 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Addison,Kalim & The Shiloh Baptist Church - Ill Say Yes [CD New] US $19.33 Buy It Now 8h 12m
JARVIS CHURCH - SHAKE IT OFF CD - US $2.00 Buy It Now 8h 12m
European Church Bells [CD New] US $21.34 Buy It Now 8h 12m
Oskido's Church Grooves - 7th Commandment South African CD *New* CDRBL 456 US $13.00 Buy It Now 8h 16m
LOT OF 4 SEALED CDs INDIE/ALT ROCK ARTISTS Church-Gene-Oranger-Young Knives US $4.99 [0 bids]
We Can Change The World - Metro Band Church CD DVD US $9.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE CHURCH music online Buy THE CHURCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE CHURCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE CHURCH Seance ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(8%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(54%)

THE CHURCH Seance reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
5 stars [Third in a series] There are occasional (some might say rare) times when the confluence in a band is so fortuitous that it creates a kind of gestalt, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Although not "progressive" in the strictest sense, Seance is one of those rare confluences. (And there would not be another such gestalt for The Church until Preist=Aura, which launched them into truly progressive rock.)

From the opening notes of "Fly," you can tell that The Church had become a far more confident band, and was developing a more "textured" and (even if not fully developed yet) progressive sound: the keyboard in the chorus is both strong and perfect, the strings (a new element) are used tastefully and appropriately, and the use of percussion instead of drums signals a very different approach to writing and arrangement. (As an aside, "Fly" may be the most perfect 2-minute song in progressive rock.) "Fly" leads directly into "One Day" with a strong, Beatle-esque guitar, a slightly syncopated backbeat, and Kilbey's first virtually monotone delivery, which not only works effectively, but is actually quite compelling. (Peter Koppes also takes a neat solo.) "Electric" opens with a nice rhythm guitar/drum pattern again, and a very interesting lead guitar part. The keyboard and general arrangement of the chorus are lush with progressive sensibilities. "It's No Reason" is the first Church song to open with and feature keyboards, and the chorus is a beautiful, melancholy mix of acoustic guitar, keyboards, and a subtle string arrangement, giving it an almost Moody Blues-ish quality. "Travel By Thought" is a mish-mash of progressive elements, and seems more like an "experiment" than a cohesive idea (it also sounds like a "nod" to XTC's "Travels in Nihilon," which was released the year before and has a very similar drum figure and general arrangment). "Disappear" makes effective use of acoustic guitar, a simple syncopated beat (they were starting to get really good at this - and would get even better in the future), and Harrison-esque lead fills. "Electric Lash" finds the band having some fun with its former approach (even slyly bringing in the guitar figure from "Sisters"), although with a strange snare effect and a nice keyboard figure. "Now I Wonder Why" is underpinned by a wonderful McCartney-esque bass figure (is there a pattern developing here?...), which at times follows the vocal. The keyboards at the bridge add a nice touch. "Dropping Names" is an interesting amalgam of the band's former and current approaches: a solid rock beat and jangly guitars, mixed with subtle keyboards, sound effects, textures, etc. "It Doesn't Change" closes the album with a haunting, quasi-paranoid (read "Floydian"), minimalist arrangement of arpeggiated guitar, drums, solid bass, and increasingly present keyboards - an approach that would eventually become part of their "signature" sound.

Overall, "Seance" is the band's first "progressive" album, in as much as they were clearly applying their growing progressive sensibilities in a conscious manner. And given the "basic rock" approach of the majority of their prior material, "Seance" is a truly unexpected and wonderful offering. As importantly, it was the beginning of the first of three short "periods" that the band would go through, all of which were initiated by breakthrough albums. "Seance" was to The Church's "growth" as "Foxtrot" was to Genesis, "Time and A Word" was to Yes, and "Atom Heart Mother" was to Pink Floyd - all of those albums were great, but presaged even greater things to come.

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#27029) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Review by hdfisch
3 stars 20 years ago when I had my "Indie phase" I liked to listen to this band together with their contemporaries like U 2, The Pretenders, The Stranglers, The Cure and so one. But in fact that was all Indie Rock for me and they never stood out of the others in my view. That's why I never concentrated on them actually; at that time I knew only their first two albums and sometime in the 90's I bought Gold Afternoon Fix which was that much disappointing for me that I gave them up somehow and lost interest. Until recently when I had some "nostalgic" moment and digged out the old CHURCH records (to remember "My God I was still bloody young at that time") this was the moment when I listened to the album Seance for the first time (21 years after its release). But I have to say I have not been impressed very much by it, sure their sound changed, became much more textured by using lush keyboard strings alongside the guitars. Maybe I would have been fascinated by it at that time but in fact I concentrated more on MARILLION in the 80's whose music can't be compared to this one since the one of CHURCH is in fact not intricate at all and sounds to my ears (that have listen already quite a lot of different stuff) more like some better atmospheric Indie Rock songs. Yes the lyrics are surely quite deep, but the main problem I have with this record are in fact the very weak drums that sound sometimes even like a drum machine. But anyway the rhythm section in this kind of music using most of the time the same simple rhythms is the reason for that it fails to catch my attraction.

For sure Fly, Disappear? or Electric Lash are very fine songs and in the poor 80's music scene THE CHURCH have been one of the few better bands but listening to it nowadays I've got to say they don't give me much and there are enough far more interesting bands at least for my taste. I will not try to describe each track in detail because for sure I could not do it half as good as my co-reviewer mainly for the reason it's not the type of music I'm much interested in.

So as a SUMMARY IMHO I can't see (or hear) any reason to compare this album to ones like Foxtrot or Time and a word and to call it a "masterpiece in progresssive rock" because simply its music is far to little intricate for this comparison. I think it deserves a solid 3 star rating (maybe one half more, but it's not possible) since I don't regard it as an essential one. But this is as usually just a matter of personal taste and favour.

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#1) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This Australian band doesn't share a lot of reviews on PA; which is kind of normal given the type of music they have offered so far. Their fully new wave oriented music has little to do with progressive music and the very good "New Day" is again anything but prog: fine and hectic pop, upbeat and very optimistic. A very good song indeed which relates to their previous efforts by all means.

Most songs featured here are seriously new wave oriented even if keys are more on the front line than before. A song as "It's No Reason" holds all the elements of the early eighties: catchy, popish, melodic. Some sort of tranquil OMD or so. But I like it.

Some tribal beats for "Travel By Thought" could remind of "Adam & The Ants" but the whole sounds more as the great "Echo & The Bunnymen". Somewhat hectic and not structured shall I say. The weakest song from this work as far as I'm concerned.

Most of this album is a fine remembering of some of the good music played during the early eighties (which was not too frequent). I am quite nostalgic of this period (but obviously not for prog reasons). It was a fun period, concerts were great and full of atmosphere. But far away from prog.

To be truly honest, I have to admit that after "Electric Lash", this album sounds somewhat repetitive and for the very first time in their career a bit dull as well ("Now I Wonder Why"). If you would except the very good instrumental closing part "It Doesn't Change" is quite mellow and inexpressive.

Unlike other fellow reviewers, I don't believe that this one is their best effort so far; on the contrary: it seems to me that there is a bit of breathlessness figured on "Seance". Still, it is a good album that deserves the three stars rating.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#235873) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009

4 stars "Seancé" was the first serious approach to find the true identity of this band after two albums that were not very much related with the sound we are used to. And for a first approach, the result was pretty much convincing, although we should remember that we find the band at a quite early sta ... (read more)

Report this review (#54392) | Posted by shyman | Wednesday, November 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE CHURCH "Seance"