SEANCE

1. Fly (2:12)
2. One Day (4:36)
3. Electric (6:03)
4. It's No Reason (5:54)
5. Travel By Thought (4:35)
6. Disappear? (5:46)
7. Electric Lash (4:25)
8. Now I Wonder Why (5:40)
9. Dropping Names (2:57)
10. It Doesn't Change (5:52)

Search THE CHURCH Seance lyrics

Search THE CHURCH Seance tabs

- Richard Ploog / drums, bongos, tambourine
- Steve Kilbey / vocals, bass, keyboards, string arrangements
- Peter Koppes / guitar, Hammond organ
- marty Willson-Piper / guitars, vocals

CD Arista ARCD-8565

THE CHURCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE CHURCH Seance Music

StarfishStarfish
Arista 1990
Orgel Der Klosterkirche Fischingen- Historic Organ in the Church in Fischingen US $15.30 Buy It Now 38m 20s
Charlotte Church by Charlotte Church (CD, Feb-2000, Sony Classical) US $2.99 [0 bids]
40m 27s
HW-2019 - Oh Jesus - Jewel Ackah with The Tema Anglican Church Choir US $22.42 Buy It Now 42m 50s
Charlotte Church by Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) - MINT US $4.25 Buy It Now 43m 43s
JIMMY SWAGGART CD "Great Hymns Of The Church VOLUME 4" - COUNTRY GOSPEL US $13.18 Buy It Now 45m 20s
78 RPM-Billy Murray-Victor 5124-He Goes to Church on Sunday-Patents label-1908 US $11.99 Buy It Now 48m 2s
JIMMY SWAGGART CD "Great Hymns Of The Church VOLUME 3" - COUNTRY GOSPEL US $13.18 Buy It Now 48m 19s
TASMIN ARCHER - LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH/HERO (EM 266) UK 1993 7'' US $3.23 Buy It Now 48m 35s
1981 Christian LP Mary's Story Calvary Baptist Church Milwaukee Mother Of Jesus US $9.99 Buy It Now 53m 34s
Temple Church Choir LONDON 1959 Angel LP Christmas Carols MONO 12" Record S35834 US $9.95 Buy It Now 1h
The Gospel Assembly Church Music For The Glory Of God (Cassette) US $24.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
THE CHURCH - "REPTILE" / NEW WAVE / PROMO / ARISTA / '88 US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 6m
Bach-Organ Chorals For The Liturgical Church Year-Sealed Lp-Denon-OX-7023-ND US $21.19 [0 bids]
THE CHURCH Seance CD w/ Bonus Tracks BRAND NEW US $22.92 Buy It Now 1h 16m
Lot 2 Vintage VINYL RECORD LPs THE STANLEY BROTHERS Old COUNTRY CHURCH/STARDAY US $14.50 Buy It Now 1h 20m
I'll Meet You in Church Sunday Morning by Stanley Brothers (The) (Cassette,... US $4.99 Buy It Now 1h 34m
Dream a Dream by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2000, Sony Classical) US $0.99 [0 bids]
High Desert Church Hdc Live:: 2005 CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 43m
JOHN CALE & TERRY RILEY: Church Of Anthrax LP (UK, re) Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 1h 45m
THE LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
Dream a Dream Charlotte Church MUSIC CD US $7.82 Buy It Now 1h 46m
Mozart: Church Sonatas CD (1994) US $10.00 Buy It Now 1h 47m
Starfish The Church ARISTA 1988 ORIGINAL PRESS RARE OOP ARCD-8521 US $13.33 Buy It Now 1h 48m
St. Paul's Episcopal Church Lansing Michigan Music From The Choirs US $24.99 [0 bids]
Church Clothes by Lecrae *New CD* US $4.53 Buy It Now 1h 55m
Union Grove Baptist Church Youth Choir The Beatitudes Rare Gospel LISTEN US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 59m
THE BOX TOPS I Met Her In Church VG++ 45 RPM US $0.10 [1 bids]
THE CADET CHOIR OF WEST POINT - CHURCH ANTHEMS - NEW SEALED LP VINTAGE 1959 US $6.00 Buy It Now 2h 10m
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $3.01 Buy It Now 2h 14m
SAM MCPHEETERS 5" Patrick Henry b/w Catholic Church Vermiform Born Against US $15.99 [0 bids]
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $2.00 [0 bids]
MOUNT ZION BAPTIST CHURCH CHOIR: Let Mount Zion Rejoice! (black gospel LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 2h 40m
C J QUINCY THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE CHURCH TODAY 45 QR BLACK GOSPEL US $8.00 Buy It Now 2h 42m
AMAZING ERIC CHURCH **CAUGHT IN THE ACT: LIVE** CREEPIN' APRIL 2013 COUNTRY CD US $6.99 [0 bids]
SONGS OF WORSHIP GETHSEMANE BAPTIST CHURCH VERY GOOD R.E.DANIELS - Gospel US $6.99 [0 bids]
REDEEMER PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH - 'MID ALL THE TRAFFIC NEW CD US $21.01 Buy It Now 3h 13m
Hammers Of Misfortune - Fields/Church Of Broken 2 x LP Black Vinyl Gatefold NEW US $24.99 Buy It Now 3h 15m
A Church of the Messiah Christmas (CD, 2009) US $6.95 Buy It Now 3h 15m
FULLER BROTHERS: Big Church Wedding (oldies vinyl 45) dj, wol US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 26m
OLDAKER SINGERS, MELVIN AND VENA MAE: The Old Country Church US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 34m
cd-album, Charlotte Church - Dream A Dream US $6.99 Buy It Now 3h 34m
DR. CHARLES G. HAYES & COSMOPOLITAN CHURCH OF PRAYER CH US $15.00 Buy It Now 3h 41m
CHURCH STREET FIVE (GARY U S BONDS) A NIGHT WITH DADDY G / PART 2" 45 US $3.50 Buy It Now 3h 43m
SEALED The Coloradans First Assembly of God Church LP Record. Private Label. US $5.99 [0 bids]
RAY OVERHOLT TELL DADDY CASSETTE Church Bells Are Ringing Christian Battle Creek US $40.00 Buy It Now 3h 54m
Orlando Gibbons Church Music, Vol. 1 The Clerkes of Oxenford David Wulstan,Dir US $12.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
BUDDY GRECO - Baubles, Bangles/ Get Me To Church rare MEMORY LANE radio 45"! VG+ US $20.00 [0 bids]
4h
Vintage J Church Quetzalcoatl S.F. Punk Allied Records Rare Vinyl LP Cringer Art US $19.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
REFORMED CHURCH IOWA PRIVATE XIAN LP SEALED RAY CHARLES US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Great Organs of First Church, Vol. 1, New Music US $12.15 Buy It Now 4h 2m
Special Music From Gloryland (Gloryland Baptist Church) US $10.00 Buy It Now 4h 9m
Charlotte Church - Dream A Dream US $1.99 Buy It Now 4h 12m
THE OBSESSED - The Church Within 1994 Hellhound 1st press H 0029-2 RARE wino US $9.99 [0 bids]
Charlotte Church - Prelude : The Best Of Charlotte Church US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Charlotte Church - SELF TITLED US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 16m
DON PHILLIPS - CHURCH AND STATE - CD, 2007 US $18.66 Buy It Now 4h 16m
7" EUGENE CHURCH The Struttin' Kind // That's What's Happenin' CLASS US $3.00 [0 bids]
The Cowboy Church Sunday School - The Little Black Sheep / Go On By 1955 Rare US $3.99 [0 bids]
alternative punk emo cassette church of sensilbility scarce only release US $11.17 [0 bids]
Eugene Church RARE Northern Soul 45 CLASS Jack Of All Trades Without Soul HEAR US $14.99 [0 bids]
Seamount-Light and(II) Truth (2009 Church Within Rec.) Hour of 13 US $4.99 Buy It Now 4h 35m
Rare LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Craig Morgan 2 CD Promo US $13.99 [0 bids]
Charlotte Church Self Titled CD Great Shape US $1.50 [0 bids]
Our Favourite Things by Tony Bennett/Charlotte Church (Vocals)/Plácido... US $2.99 Buy It Now 4h 53m
THE CHURCH Of Skins and Hearts Plus Blurred Crusade Double Cassette RARE US $35.09 Buy It Now 5h
Diamond Jubilee Concert -- New Pilgrim Baptist Church US $2.00 Buy It Now 5h 8m
BACH BOYCHOIR Lutheran Church 1966 PRIVATE MN LP RARE PRIVATE BOYS CHOIR US $139.97 Buy It Now 5h 27m
Sealed LP Tusculum Cumberland Presbyterian Church US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 41m
THE CHURCH - GREATEST HITS ACOUSTIC - CD - NEW - US $14.03 Buy It Now 5h 47m
RODNEY DILLARD, CD "DON'T WAIT FOR THE HEARSE TO TAKE YOU TO CHURCH" NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
The Church - Feel (LP/4 Remixes/ Dub Version) - U.S. PROMO cd - RARE! 082214 US $11.98 Buy It Now 5h 59m
LEWIS AVENUE BAPTIST CHURCH cassette tape 2000 Temperance Michigan US $19.99 Buy It Now 6h 17m
CLAUDIA CHURCH - S/T - NEW/SEALED CD (1999 REPRISE/WB) US $3.99 Buy It Now 6h 24m
Bethel Church Live For The Sake Of The World CD/DVD 2012 * NEW * SS * US $5.24 [3 bids]
HERETIC: BREAKING POINT CASSETTE SPEED THRASH METAL CHURCH REVEREND US $7.99 Buy It Now 6h 48m
METAL CHURCH - The Dark (Cassette, 1986, Elektra) US $4.00 [0 bids]
CD - GEORG PHILIPP TELEMANN - CHURCH CANTATAS - HEYERICK (1987)ASLK CGER BELGIUM US $16.99 Buy It Now 7h 4m
BIRGER NILSEN / REV. CHARLES J. REAVES - ST. PAUL METHODIST CHURCH (ATLANTA, GA) US $34.99 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Complete Church Sonatas, New Music US $22.13 Buy It Now 7h 13m
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $0.99 Buy It Now 7h 18m
METAL CHURCH "THE DARK", LP, 1986, RARE! US $24.99 Buy It Now 7h 36m
Sam Black Church ?- Superchrist (CD) US $1.61 [0 bids]
Jarvis Church Shake it Off (PROMO/3 SONG) US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h
DONALD PEERS "I Told Them All About You"/ "Church Bells On Sunday Morning" 78rpm US $14.84 Buy It Now 9h 3m
VANHELGD "Church of Death" LP miasmal dismember US $23.39 Buy It Now 9h 11m
Cringer "Karin" 7" OOP Laytonville J-Church Jawbreaker Crimpshrine US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 21m
HOZIER - HOZIER 2014 CD FEATURING TAKE ME TO THE CHURCH US $20.89 Buy It Now 9h 39m
Organ of Gamleby Church - Anders Bondeman New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $20.55 Buy It Now 9h 41m
The Church "Remote Luxury" CD Like New US $39.95 Buy It Now 9h 44m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH - ENCHANTMENT NEW CD US $10.58 Buy It Now 9h 55m
HIGHLAND PARK MINNEAPOLIS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH LP RARE US $6.99 Buy It Now 9h 57m
George Jones - Country Church Time NEW CD US $14.43 Buy It Now 10h 13m
Onitsha - Church Girl - NEW SEALED CD (2007, Hidden Beach Records) US $4.95 Buy It Now 10h 41m
DRUG CHURCH - PARTY AT DEAD MAN'S B/W SELLING DRUGS FROM YOUR NEW VINYL US $9.86 Buy It Now 10h 44m
Trinity Church Choir - Candlelight Carols [CD New] US $15.20 Buy It Now 10h 45m
Trinity Episcopal Church Choir - Christmas At Trinity [CD New] US $15.32 Buy It Now 10h 45m
2006 Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony CD Delta Goodrem The Church Cat Empire US $10.54 Buy It Now 10h 48m
Holy Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church Of The Eas - Mawlada [CD New] US $13.01 Buy It Now 10h 48m
JACKIEM JOYNER - CHURCH BOY NEW CD US $21.73 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Ronnie & Ricky Libby "They Tore The Old Country Church Down" RPM Record~Maine US $5.99 Buy It Now 11h 5m

More places to buy THE CHURCH music online Buy THE CHURCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE CHURCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE CHURCH Seance ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(7%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(53%)

THE CHURCH Seance reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
5 stars [Third in a series] There are occasional (some might say rare) times when the confluence in a band is so fortuitous that it creates a kind of gestalt, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Although not "progressive" in the strictest sense, Seance is one of those rare confluences. (And there would not be another such gestalt for The Church until Preist=Aura, which launched them into truly progressive rock.)

From the opening notes of "Fly," you can tell that The Church had become a far more confident band, and was developing a more "textured" and (even if not fully developed yet) progressive sound: the keyboard in the chorus is both strong and perfect, the strings (a new element) are used tastefully and appropriately, and the use of percussion instead of drums signals a very different approach to writing and arrangement. (As an aside, "Fly" may be the most perfect 2-minute song in progressive rock.) "Fly" leads directly into "One Day" with a strong, Beatle-esque guitar, a slightly syncopated backbeat, and Kilbey's first virtually monotone delivery, which not only works effectively, but is actually quite compelling. (Peter Koppes also takes a neat solo.) "Electric" opens with a nice rhythm guitar/drum pattern again, and a very interesting lead guitar part. The keyboard and general arrangement of the chorus are lush with progressive sensibilities. "It's No Reason" is the first Church song to open with and feature keyboards, and the chorus is a beautiful, melancholy mix of acoustic guitar, keyboards, and a subtle string arrangement, giving it an almost Moody Blues-ish quality. "Travel By Thought" is a mish-mash of progressive elements, and seems more like an "experiment" than a cohesive idea (it also sounds like a "nod" to XTC's "Travels in Nihilon," which was released the year before and has a very similar drum figure and general arrangment). "Disappear" makes effective use of acoustic guitar, a simple syncopated beat (they were starting to get really good at this - and would get even better in the future), and Harrison-esque lead fills. "Electric Lash" finds the band having some fun with its former approach (even slyly bringing in the guitar figure from "Sisters"), although with a strange snare effect and a nice keyboard figure. "Now I Wonder Why" is underpinned by a wonderful McCartney-esque bass figure (is there a pattern developing here?...), which at times follows the vocal. The keyboards at the bridge add a nice touch. "Dropping Names" is an interesting amalgam of the band's former and current approaches: a solid rock beat and jangly guitars, mixed with subtle keyboards, sound effects, textures, etc. "It Doesn't Change" closes the album with a haunting, quasi-paranoid (read "Floydian"), minimalist arrangement of arpeggiated guitar, drums, solid bass, and increasingly present keyboards - an approach that would eventually become part of their "signature" sound.

Overall, "Seance" is the band's first "progressive" album, in as much as they were clearly applying their growing progressive sensibilities in a conscious manner. And given the "basic rock" approach of the majority of their prior material, "Seance" is a truly unexpected and wonderful offering. As importantly, it was the beginning of the first of three short "periods" that the band would go through, all of which were initiated by breakthrough albums. "Seance" was to The Church's "growth" as "Foxtrot" was to Genesis, "Time and A Word" was to Yes, and "Atom Heart Mother" was to Pink Floyd - all of those albums were great, but presaged even greater things to come.

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#27029) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Review by hdfisch
3 stars 20 years ago when I had my "Indie phase" I liked to listen to this band together with their contemporaries like U 2, The Pretenders, The Stranglers, The Cure and so one. But in fact that was all Indie Rock for me and they never stood out of the others in my view. That's why I never concentrated on them actually; at that time I knew only their first two albums and sometime in the 90's I bought Gold Afternoon Fix which was that much disappointing for me that I gave them up somehow and lost interest. Until recently when I had some "nostalgic" moment and digged out the old CHURCH records (to remember "My God I was still bloody young at that time") this was the moment when I listened to the album Seance for the first time (21 years after its release). But I have to say I have not been impressed very much by it, sure their sound changed, became much more textured by using lush keyboard strings alongside the guitars. Maybe I would have been fascinated by it at that time but in fact I concentrated more on MARILLION in the 80's whose music can't be compared to this one since the one of CHURCH is in fact not intricate at all and sounds to my ears (that have listen already quite a lot of different stuff) more like some better atmospheric Indie Rock songs. Yes the lyrics are surely quite deep, but the main problem I have with this record are in fact the very weak drums that sound sometimes even like a drum machine. But anyway the rhythm section in this kind of music using most of the time the same simple rhythms is the reason for that it fails to catch my attraction.

For sure Fly, Disappear? or Electric Lash are very fine songs and in the poor 80's music scene THE CHURCH have been one of the few better bands but listening to it nowadays I've got to say they don't give me much and there are enough far more interesting bands at least for my taste. I will not try to describe each track in detail because for sure I could not do it half as good as my co-reviewer mainly for the reason it's not the type of music I'm much interested in.

So as a SUMMARY IMHO I can't see (or hear) any reason to compare this album to ones like Foxtrot or Time and a word and to call it a "masterpiece in progresssive rock" because simply its music is far to little intricate for this comparison. I think it deserves a solid 3 star rating (maybe one half more, but it's not possible) since I don't regard it as an essential one. But this is as usually just a matter of personal taste and favour.

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#1) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This Australian band doesn't share a lot of reviews on PA; which is kind of normal given the type of music they have offered so far. Their fully new wave oriented music has little to do with progressive music and the very good "New Day" is again anything but prog: fine and hectic pop, upbeat and very optimistic. A very good song indeed which relates to their previous efforts by all means.

Most songs featured here are seriously new wave oriented even if keys are more on the front line than before. A song as "It's No Reason" holds all the elements of the early eighties: catchy, popish, melodic. Some sort of tranquil OMD or so. But I like it.

Some tribal beats for "Travel By Thought" could remind of "Adam & The Ants" but the whole sounds more as the great "Echo & The Bunnymen". Somewhat hectic and not structured shall I say. The weakest song from this work as far as I'm concerned.

Most of this album is a fine remembering of some of the good music played during the early eighties (which was not too frequent). I am quite nostalgic of this period (but obviously not for prog reasons). It was a fun period, concerts were great and full of atmosphere. But far away from prog.

To be truly honest, I have to admit that after "Electric Lash", this album sounds somewhat repetitive and for the very first time in their career a bit dull as well ("Now I Wonder Why"). If you would except the very good instrumental closing part "It Doesn't Change" is quite mellow and inexpressive.

Unlike other fellow reviewers, I don't believe that this one is their best effort so far; on the contrary: it seems to me that there is a bit of breathlessness figured on "Seance". Still, it is a good album that deserves the three stars rating.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#235873) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, August 30, 2009

4 stars "SeancÚ" was the first serious approach to find the true identity of this band after two albums that were not very much related with the sound we are used to. And for a first approach, the result was pretty much convincing, although we should remember that we find the band at a quite early sta ... (read more)

Report this review (#54392) | Posted by shyman | Wednesday, November 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE CHURCH "Seance"