STARFISH

Good, but non-essential

Buy THE CHURCH Music
Studio Album, released in 1988

1. Destination (5:51)
2. Under The Milky Way (4:57)
3. Blood Money (4:23)
4. Lost (4:47)
5. North, South, East and West (4:59)
6. Spark (3:45)

- Peter Koppes / guitars, vocals
- Marty Willson-Piper / guitars, vocals
- Richard Ploog / drums, percussion

CD Arista ARCD-8521

THE CHURCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE CHURCH Starfish Music

PYRAMIDO Sand CD Swedish psychedelic sludge metal church of misery iron monkey US $11.98 Buy It Now 30m 41s
The Human Factor by Metal Church (CD, Mar-1991, Epic (USA)) US $2.99 [0 bids]
31m 43s
WILLOWS - Baby Tell Me / Church Bells May Ring - Rare Melba Doo Wop 45 US $4.98 [0 bids]
32m 59s
Born Again Bluegrass Band Old Country Church Private 1980 Gospel Xian Country US $19.99 [0 bids]
35m 10s
John Cale & Terry Riley - Church Of Anthrax [CD New] US $15.66 Buy It Now 36m 27s
Record Johnny Mann Singers The Church's One Foundation 1975 Lexicon Used US $15.00 Buy It Now 41m 27s
Christian Accompaniment Track Cassette - Triumphantly The Church Will Rise (EX) US $2.00 Buy It Now 51m 2s
DIAMONDS - CHURCH BELLS MAY RING/LITTLE DARLIN' 45 RPM 1958 US $2.99 Buy It Now 53m 46s
Santana ?- Electric Church Archives Vol.1 CD New Sealed US $4.99 Buy It Now 56m 53s
Rare LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Craig Morgan 2 CD Promo US $13.99 [0 bids]
Rare LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Craig Morgan 2 CD Promo US $13.99 [0 bids]
58m
LIVE Concert ERIC CHURCH Lady Antebellum RADIO 2 CD Promo '13 US $13.99 [0 bids]
LIVE 2014 Concert ERIC CHURCH Luke Bryan 2 CD Promo US $14.99 [1 bids]
58m
LIVE RADIO Concert KEITH URBAN Little Big Town 2 CD Promo 2013 Eric Church US $14.99 [0 bids]
58m
Rare LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Kenny Chesney BOONE NC 2 CD Promo US $13.99 [0 bids]
58m
LIVE 2013 Concert ERIC CHURCH Lady Antebellum RADIO 2 CD Promo US $13.99 [0 bids]
58m
2014 LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Kip Moore FLORIDA GEORGIA LINE 2 CD Promo US $14.99 [0 bids]
58m
New! LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Dierks Bentley Interview 2 CD Promo US $13.99 [0 bids]
58m
2013 LIVE RADIO Concert ERIC CHURCH Dierks Bentley Interview 2 CD Promo 2013 US $13.99 [0 bids]
58m
SOUL 45 - BOBBY MARCHAN - HOOKED / MEET ME IN CHURCH - CAMEO 453 VG++ US $9.99 [0 bids]
1h
GERALD SISTERS 45 - LETS GO TO CHURCH - GOSPEL SOUL US $12.99 Buy It Now 1h 5m
Reverend Billy and the Church of Stop Shopping [Bonus DVD] by Reverend Billy... US $2.50 Buy It Now 1h 10m
This is the Day - Music Ministry of St. Thomas Becket Catholic Church, Eagan, MN US $5.99 [0 bids]
CULTURE CLUB - CHURCH OF POISON MIND - JAPANESE 45 + PICTURE COVER US $9.95 [0 bids]
JIM HENDRICKS - LITTLE CHURCH ON THE PRAIRIE NEW CD US $23.45 Buy It Now 1h 18m
Mozart Complete Church Sonatas (featuring Peter Hurford, Organ) - London CD VG++ US $6.99 [0 bids]
METAL CHURCH / masterpeace /JAPAN LTD CD US $15.99 Buy It Now 1h 31m
Roxette Church Of Your Heart 4 Track Made In Holland CD - Like New US $15.74 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Dennis Ferrer ?- Church Lady (Remixes) US $10.95 [0 bids]
God's Not Dead Generation Unleashed Live CD 07 Maranatha Music City Bible Church US $9.99 Buy It Now 1h 54m
CHICAGO MASS CHOIR - JUST HAVING CHURCH LIVE NEW CD US $21.65 Buy It Now 1h 58m
BASTARD CHAIN - Church of the Damned (CD, 2012) Melodic Death Metal US $6.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
Metal Church ?- The Dark LP 1986 Elektra ?- 960 493-1 US $9.99 [0 bids]
Voice of an Angel by Charlotte Church (CD, Dec-1998, Sony Classical) US $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 7m
Genvrin, Vincent-Samson and Dalila in Church CD NEW US $17.19 Buy It Now 2h 10m
LORDS OF THE CHURCH LIVE FOR TODAY CUTOUT RECORD / LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
Gold Afternoon Fix by The Church (CD, Mar-1990, Arista) US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 29m
METAL CHURCH - GENERATION NOTHING NEW CD US $17.34 Buy It Now 2h 37m
The Box Tops "I Met Her In Church" US $3.00 [0 bids]
The Crew Cuts "Aura Lee"/"Going To Church On Sunday" US $2.00 [0 bids]
RED FOLEY Church In The Wildwood Pickwick JS 6170 US RE ISSUE SEALE US $8.49 Buy It Now 2h 44m
TEQUILA SUNRISE SDTK CD duran duran church crowded house andy taylor ann wilson US $54.99 Buy It Now 2h 44m
Song Force Crystal [Digipak] by Church (CD, Aug-2009, Tender Loving Empire) US $5.00 [0 bids]
TOMMY SANCTON/LARS E - HYMNS & SPIRITUALS: LIVE AT TRINITY CHURCH, NEW - NEW CD US $11.17 Buy It Now 3h 4m
Priest = Aura by The Church (CD, Mar-1992, Arista/BMG) US $6.99 [0 bids]
The Church - After Everything Now This CD NEW US $13.00 Buy It Now 3h 26m
Memories of That Old Country Church - V/A New & Sealed CD Free Shipping US $10.37 Buy It Now 3h 27m
The Easter Carol, Parkway Baptist Church, CD US $10.00 [0 bids]
NO CD-LONGBOX ONLY Metal Church - Blessing In Disguise US $19.50 Buy It Now 3h 47m
HAPPY TIME NURSERY SONGS Herald Nursery Home and Church Series LP 60s NEW US $36.99 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Lamar Anthony Hill, The Dirt Church CD US $5.00 Buy It Now 3h 53m
Uptempo Gospel - Institutional Choir of the Church of God - When trouble comes US $9.99 Buy It Now 3h 55m
JIMI HENDRIX electric church music LIVE at Stockholm SWEDEN 1969 RARE JAPAN CD US $23.99 Buy It Now 4h
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Faith Outreach Church - Going the Distance by Dr. William Luffman US $6.50 Buy It Now 4h 7m
The CHURCH Metropolis / Much Too Much 1990 OZ 45 US $13.08 Buy It Now 4h 20m
THE CHURCH Gold Afternoon Fix 1990 Oop CD Marty Wilson-Piper US $11.48 Buy It Now 4h 30m
BUDDY MILES EXPRESS ELECTRIC CHURCH NEW USA Vinyl LP in Shrink Jimi Hendrix US $19.80 [0 bids]
POCO - Running Horse (CD Sep-2003, Drifter's Church Productions) BRAND NEW, RARE US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 48m
THE LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH NEW CHURCH RARE UK PS 7" 1982 ILLEGAL RECORDS US $20.69 Buy It Now 5h 17m
Gypsy Meets Gypsy by Gypsy Rose Lee/Sandra Church (CD, Mar-2011, Sepia Records) US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 18m
SIGFRIED HILDENBRAND Monastery Church of St Urban LP Telefunken SAWT 9534 German US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 30m
Rock Won't Move - Church Band Vertical New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $12.36 Buy It Now 5h 38m
Reverend Billy & the Stop Shoppi, Reverend Billy and the Church of Stop Shopping US $4.00 Buy It Now 6h
ALFRED TENNYSON "The English Poets" Tony Church / Argo PLP-1045 UK Mono NM US $12.95 Buy It Now 6h 11m
1946 Melbourne 52 HYMNS for the CHRISTIAN YEAR Church Minister's Reference Book US $7.01 Buy It Now 6h 16m
Church, The - Sometime Anywhere (CD 1994) new U.K. US $11.29 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Joep van Leeuwen-Jazz Guitar Meets Church Organ CD NEW US $19.88 Buy It Now 6h 21m
Songs Of Life Music CD 2003 New Life Church Renton WA Seattle Washington R. Ross US $4.99 Buy It Now 6h 54m
Cyperus-Blow It Out Your Ass Liege Lord, Jag Panzer.Metal Church US $14.99 Buy It Now 7h 43m
CHURCH OF SYNTH, The - The Church Of Synth - CD US $21.89 Buy It Now 7h 50m
Norman Brooks - Get Me To The Church On Time c1960 USA 7" Sure 1026 + Postcard US $5.67 Buy It Now 8h 33m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH "SELF TITLED" CASSETTE TAPE INDONESIAN US $14.00 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Temple Church Choir London ft Master Ernest Lough 1950s EP HMV 7EG 8293 US $5.67 Buy It Now 8h 47m
Gospel J.D. Sumner & The Stamps Let's Have Church US $6.99 [0 bids]
Love Song self titled lp Chuck Girard Tommy Coomes Little Country Church US $3.99 [0 bids]
THE CHURCH: ALMOST WITH YOU / LIFE SPEEDS UP - NEAR MINT AUSTRALIAN 1982 US $17.50 [0 bids]
CHURCH OF MISERY - THE SECOND COMING, 2011 UK REMASTERED vinyl 2LP +4 B/T, NEW! US $37.99 Buy It Now 9h 51m
Before X Eurythmics Church Elvis Costello Love Rockets Romeo Void (CD 1997) US $0.25 [0 bids]
The Outsiders by Eric Church (CD, Feb-2014, Capitol Nashville) US $8.99 Buy It Now 10h 4m
The Hampstead Parish Church Choir(7" Vinyl)Christmas Carols-Pye-CEM 36001-UK-Ex/ US $10.99 Buy It Now 10h 7m
Tasmin Archer(7" Vinyl)Lords Of The New Church-EMI-EM 266-UK-VG+/Ex US $6.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Ernest Lough/Temple Church Choir(7" Vinyl)Hear Ye Israel-HMV-7EG 8679-UK-Ex/NM US $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
The Hampstead Parish Church Choir(7" Vinyl)Christmas Carols-Pye-CEM 36002-UK-NM/ US $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Ernest Lough/Temple Church Choir(7" Vinyl)Hear My Prayer-HMV-7EG 8293-UK-Ex/NM US $17.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Temple Church Choir(7" Vinyl)Hear My Prayer/I Know That My Redeemer Liveth-HMV-7 US $33.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
R.A.F Church(7" Vinyl)Hymn Singing In St. Clement Danes-Decca-DFE 6605-UK-VG+/NM US $24.99 Buy It Now 10h 8m
Mendelssohn/Choir Of The Temple Church(7" Vinyl)Recital Hear My Prayer-HMV-7P111 US $13.99 Buy It Now 10h 9m
RESPIGHI, OTTORINO - OTTORINO RESPIGHI: CHURCH WINDOWS; BRAZILIAN - NEW CD US $14.06 Buy It Now 10h 9m
Sutton, Ralph-At St George Church CD NEW US $12.47 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Choir Of The Temple Church;...-Veil Of The Temple CD NEW US $22.24 Buy It Now 10h 29m
Christmas LP Musical Moments Myers Park Presbyterian Church Charlotte NC US $11.69 [0 bids]
MIND CHURCH ?????? ???? SONG FROM GARDEN PROMO TRACTOR'S REVENGE ISRAEL OZ 12" US $47.49 Buy It Now 10h 33m
METAL CHURCH - GENERATION NOTHING [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.58 Buy It Now 10h 38m
ABSOLON-Darkness Rising CD Queensryche,Sacred Warrior,Metal Church,Riot,Private US $16.99 Buy It Now 10h 39m
A.S. Fiore - Church Symphonies & Secular [CD New] US $15.19 Buy It Now 10h 41m
Patsy Cline - From Church to Court Room CD new U.K. US $12.95 Buy It Now 10h 44m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH - TISSUES AND ISSUES - NEW CD US $4.96 Buy It Now 10h 47m
Please Leave The Church Before You Start Singing US $15.87 Buy It Now 10h 48m
Church Organs Of Prague(2x12" Vinyl LP Gatefold)Church Organs Of Prague-Ex/NM US $17.82 Buy It Now 10h 54m

More places to buy THE CHURCH music online Buy THE CHURCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE CHURCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE CHURCH Starfish ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(23%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(42%)

THE CHURCH Starfish reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
4 stars [Sixth in a series] After taking an almost three-year hiatus, The Church returned with an album that shows just how comfortable they had become with their progressive sensibilities (as well as providing a vehicle for Kilbey's increasingly poetic lyrics). "Destination" begins the journey with the most musically "thoughtful" composition they had so far produced. It is a beautifully constructed piece containing a deceptively simple, but effective, arrangement (including a surprising, almost "empty" pre-chorus, showing their increasing comfort with "space"), and their most maturely textured sound so far. Their second (unexpected, runaway) hit - "Under the Milky Way" - contains some of their developing "trademarks," including a crisp acoustic guitar, a simple, haunting keyboard figure, and a lush, expansive atmosphere. "Blood Money" has a more straightforward feel, but retains most of the elements that the band was beginning to incorporate as part of its now-almost-fully-developed "sound." Although seemingly way-simple, "Lost" is a very good example of the sound and approach that would "mark" The Church's style (especially on "Holograms of Baal"). "North, South, East and West" is another excellent example of the kind of expansive atmosphere, guitar figures and arrangement that would come to dominate - indeed, define - the band's sound. "Spark," a throw-back to the band's earlier sound (rock-y, pop-ish), is interesting, even captivating, in its own way. "Antenna" brings us back to the band's new sensibilities, this time with a wonderful rhythm guitar figure, a tight arrangement, and that now-trademark lush, expansive atmosphere. Along with "Destination," my fave on the album. "Reptile" is more straightforward, though it maintains many of the elements now associated with the band's approach. "A New Season" seems to be an idea that didn't quite cohere, and is the album's "weak link." "Hotel Womb" ends the album on an appropriate (if somewhat melancholy) note. All the requisite elements are here, though assembled in a slightly different way. Indeed, it provides an almost perfect transition from this album to the next: it could just as appropriately have served as the opening song on "Gold Afternoon Fix."

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#9) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 30, 2004

Review by hdfisch
2 stars Edited 10/4/2005!

The songs presented on this album here are all very nice and a nice listen, in fact one of them even became something like a "airplay hit" and probably more songs on this album would have the (doubtful) "quality" for this because most of them are quite radio-friendly I have to say. Obviously here no keyboards at all have been involved and the music is dominated by jangling guitars and could be compared with other Indie rock bands from that time like The Verve, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Smiths.The album is a nice Indie pop rock one and for that reason I can't give it more than 2 stars,

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#10) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005

Review by Chris S
3 stars Easy listening category but at the same time this Australian outfit were/are a cut above a lot of other bands in the same category. Starfish makes for a great listen and has jewels embedded throughout the album. That does mean that it is all not brilliant so yes, it does submit to mediocrity at times.

' Under The Milky Way ' is undoubtedly the star on this album. Other great tracks include ' Spark' and ' Reptile'. Steve Kilbey does his business in the vocal department adding the stalwart bass lines. Is this progressive music? Certainly not but well worth an argument on inclusion on this site. I for one welcome them and their contribution to prog related sounds. No worries Australia! A good album at best but I am sure there are many die hards who would rate this higher. A good comparison would be Lloyd Cole and the Commotions from the UK for the characteristic sound and voice.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#113359) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 24, 2007

Review by fuxi
3 stars In case you don't know the Church, STARFISH is a delightful album of dreamy, melancholic and nocturnal pop-rock, strongly influenced by early 1980s bands like Echo and the Bunnymen, Aztec Camera and the Sound, but sounding considerably less anguished. If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong!) the Church owe a lot to that ideal combination of acoustic-guitar-twinned-with-Rickenbacker. The second tune on this album, 'Under the Milky Way', is one of my favourite (belated) new-wave tracks, and I was very happy when it finally got its due on the original soundtrack of the film DONNIE DARKO, since it was featured in that film's party sequence, if I remember correctly. (Unfortunately, in the revised Director's Cut, which many of you may get to see when you buy the DVD, the song's impact was much reduced: you only hear a snippet of it on the car radio, when Donnie and his Dad go for a ride.) What any of this has to do with prog rock I couldn't tell you. Perhaps there's a certain Syd Barrett influence... Much recommended, in any case!

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#156542) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2007

4 stars This is a very special album for me. People have said they feel sorry for me that when I started to really get into music it was 1980, and we all know how bad the eighties were for music. I did feel that way around 1987, it was such a bleak time music wise for me, but not the first half of the decade. I was listening to "Heaven And Hell" by BLACK SABBATH, "Permanent Waves' by RUSH, "Piece Of Mind" by IRON MAIDEN along with AC/DC and the classics like FLOYD and ZEP and many other "Hard Rock" bands of that time. I remember "New Wave" music being all over the radio, I actually liked some of it, it was fun and that's what life was all about for me back then. I never bought any albums by these bands though because I figured there would be one or two good songs and the rest would be awful. I was concerned about that when I bought this cd ("Starfish") recently but how wrong I was.

This is very much a guitar album with those duo guitars offering up these melodies that jangle and echo. Lots of atmosphere and space here. Then we get Kilby's reserved vocals singing these great lyrics. It was the song "Under The Milky Way" that caused me to buy this record in the first place, it just brings back such great memories of the early eighties, and even though it was released much later (1988) it has that "sound" from what was on the radio back then.1980 was such a great year for me, the Trans Am I had bought the year before was done (jacked up, wide rear tires, Crager rims, upgraded stereo) and I just started going out with the most beautiful girl I had ever seen in June of that year.That reminds me of the title of that OCEANSIZE song "Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs", I couldn't believe that she would go out with me. Anyway back then it was all about this green eyed blonde, drugs, music and my car with the Hurst 4 speed shifter. Had to get that in (haha). We would just drive the beaches back then listening to tunes. Anyway the music here by these Australians is very much what i'd call beach music. Just everything about it makes me yearn for those days even though I wouldn't trade my family for any of it. It's hard to explain really.

"Destination" has such a dreamy and lush sound to it, very much a feel good song for me. A top three track too. As is of course "Under The Milky Way". Water just rises to my eyes just about everytime I hear this. Some things can't be explained but when I hear this i'm back in 1980 in my spirit. Just a gorgeous track with that strummed guitar and those almost spoken vocals. "Blood Money" has a great mood to it. It kicks in before 1 1/2 minutes. Love the guitar after 2 minutes. "Lost" just trips along with these incredible lyrics. Great tune. "North, South, East And West" has this really good sounding guitar to open that jangles and echoes. Another favourite for me. "Spark" is the most uptempo and energetic of the lot. "Antenna" opens with more amazing guitar that seems to fill the air. Some mandolin too 2 minutes in. "Reptile" is the other top three. I just can't get enough of these guitar sounds. Beautiful track. "A New Season" is another feel good song. The vocals and guitars seem to blend together to create a haze of pleasure. "Hotel Womb" has a Post-Rock vibe to it. Check out the guitar after 3 1/2 minutes and the drums are very prominant here.

This was like a trip down memory lane even though I never took This trip before. I'm sure this all makes perfect sense.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#232977) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 20, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This sixth album from "The Church" is all about melancholic rock. The band seems to have taken some distance with their new wave oriented sound and released a straight forward good rock album. Still, "Spark" or "Reptile" do sound as most of their previous works.

Lots of guitars, even acoustic moments like during "Under The Milky Way" do provide a fine musical moment. I far much prefer this album than their last three efforts. This one offers a more mature work (maybe that the long three years break was necessary to reach this).

I also agree with the comparison, with the great "Echo & The Bunnymen". Same melancholic and detached approach. I quite like this actually. The Bunnymen were definitely one of the best band of the eighties.

I also have to mention that the prog relation is rather thin on this album; but we are still in front of a good rock album. And when music is good, it is all that matters I guess.

One of my fave is the dynamic and solid "North, South, East And West". The filiation with The Bunnymen has never been so close. Soaring guitars, peaceful and deep vocals. Quite enjoyable for sure.

The only negative point about this album could be that it should have been more varied. After the first half, one gets too much of the same (cf. "Antenna"). In all, this is quite a decent album which I rate with three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#239114) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 13, 2009

4 stars I'm a sucker for a well crafted tune and thats what you get with The Church's release of Starish. With their almost Byrds like jangly guitar sound of Piper and Koppes, as well as a very atmospheric laid back approach, at first I found it difficult to see them as an Art Rock Prog band. However ... (read more)

Report this review (#125345) | Posted by madgo2 | Sunday, June 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The Church have released a multitude of albums since 1981, but one stands out for it's compositions and 2 radio-friendly hits: Starfish. Aside from a kind of cool album name, The Church had the insanely catchy "Reptile" with the delayed picking at the beginning of the song that makes it instantl ... (read more)

Report this review (#58067) | Posted by | Saturday, November 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "Starfish" was the lonely commercial adventure for The Church. For a band of an underground nature like this one, this could have been something dangerous. Fortunately they managed to come up with something playable on the radio and reliable to fans taste at the same time. However, alth ... (read more)

Report this review (#52724) | Posted by shyman | Saturday, October 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE CHURCH "Starfish"