STARFISH

Good, but non-essential

Buy THE CHURCH Music
Studio Album, released in 1988

1. Destination (5:51)
2. Under The Milky Way (4:57)
3. Blood Money (4:23)
4. Lost (4:47)
5. North, South, East and West (4:59)
6. Spark (3:45)

- Peter Koppes / guitars, vocals
- Marty Willson-Piper / guitars, vocals
- Richard Ploog / drums, percussion

CD Arista ARCD-8521

THE CHURCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE CHURCH Starfish Music

Charlotte Church - Enchantment(2001,CD,Columbia,Sony Music)16 Tracks~Euro Import US $5.99 Buy It Now 39m 31s
ZNOWHITE - ACT OF GOD CD SPEED METAL THRASH METAL SENTINEL BEAST METAL CHURCH US $7.90 [1 bids]
51m 59s
MARSHALL LAW - POWER GAME CD JUDAS PRIEST METAL CHURCH HELSTAR CRIMSON GLORY US $7.90 [0 bids]
51m 59s
SANCTUARY -INTO THE MIRROR LIVE/BLACK REFLECTIONS CD CONTROL DENIED METAL CHURCH US $7.90 [1 bids]
52m 1s
Voice of an Angel - Charlotte Church (CD 1999) US $3.99 Buy It Now 1h 23m
Eric Church The Outsiders RSD 2014 Vinyl LP Bonus Songs + Poster Ltd. Ed. 3,000 US $42.95 Buy It Now 1h 32m
Lords Of The New Church - Is Nothing Sacred? [CD New] US $14.54 Buy It Now 1h 35m
Lords Of The New Church [CD New] US $14.54 Buy It Now 1h 35m
The Choir Of St Marks Church(Vinyl LP)Sing And Rejoice-Decca-LK 4543-UK-VG/VG US $13.58 Buy It Now 1h 41m
Free Church Choir Union(Vinyl LP)Anthems & Hymns-Studio Republic-SRM 12057-VG/Ex US $25.48 Buy It Now 1h 41m
The Choir Of St Marks Church(Vinyl LP)Sing And Rejoice-Decca-LK 4543-UK-VG+/VG US $15.28 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Cowboy Church Sunday School(7" Vinyl 3rd State)The Little Black Sheep-UK-Ex/Ex+ US $10.18 Buy It Now 1h 42m
Philippines METAL CHURCH - The Dark CASSETTE Rare THRASH Metal REVEREND Scarce!! US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 58m
THE CHURCH The Best Of The Radio Songs CD BRAND NEW Steve Kilbey US $13.96 Buy It Now 1h 58m
HAWKWIND - CHURCH OF HAWKWIND - NEW CD US $13.87 Buy It Now 2h 3m
Wanda & Friends Vick - Church In The Wildwood (2008) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.34 Buy It Now 2h 5m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH, TISSUS AND ISSUES, CD US $6.36 Buy It Now 2h 19m
Official Poster For Steve Kilby (The Church) Nov 2013 US $23.50 [0 bids]
BOY GEORGE CULTURE CLUB RARE 1983 MX 12" VINYL SEALED! church of the poison mind US $79.99 Buy It Now 2h 28m
Starfish by Church (The) (CD, Oct-1990, Arista) US $2.99 Buy It Now 2h 32m
Eugene Church - Pretty Girls Everywhere VG++ 1958 US $16.99 [0 bids]
JACK SABBATH-Undead Garage Manifesto-CHRIS CHURCH-NC-Cd US $8.49 Buy It Now 2h 37m
John Foxx The Garden Uk Lp w huge book The Church US $19.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
PRELUDE: THE BEST OF CHARLOTTE CHURCH [WITH BONUS DVD] - NEW CD BOXSET US $23.33 Buy It Now 2h 50m
MATHIAS (CHRIST) (CHURCH) (CATHEDRAL) (CHOIR) (/) (DARLINGTON) - NEW CD US $22.50 Buy It Now 3h 8m
CHARLES G HAYES / COSMOPOLITAN CHURCH PRAYER CHOIR - BACK AGAIN NEW CD US $20.18 Buy It Now 3h 8m
Adult Choir Of Saint Rita's Church Dayton Ohio LP Christmas & Hymns 91131 NM US $25.00 Buy It Now 3h 10m
100 Church Classics - 3 CD's - Madacy Christian - Old Favorites - Free Shipping US $7.45 [0 bids]
Louvin Brothers - The Church Of Louvin - PSALM2349 US $16.93 Buy It Now 3h 32m
ROXETTE * CHURCH OF YOUR HEART & I CALL YOUR NAME * 45 RPM US $4.75 Buy It Now 3h 39m
Pop, Doo Wop, Instrumental. CHURCH KEY by THE REVELS on the IMPACT label. US $4.00 [0 bids]
6 Christmas CD Lot: George Strait, Charlotte Church, Norman Rockwell... US $10.95 Buy It Now 4h 6m
Is Nothing Sacred? by The Lords of the New Church (CD, Sep-2013, Real Gone... US $11.62 Buy It Now 4h 8m
The Lords of the New Church by The Lords of the New Church (CD, Sep-2013,... US $11.62 Buy It Now 4h 8m
ERIC CHURCH - CAUGHT IN THE ACT LIVE NEW CD US $17.10 Buy It Now 4h 17m
Rare Decca Promo 78 RED FOLEY remember me w Judy Martin Let's Go Church US $8.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
Gloria Dei Choir Of Holy Ghost Church Bethlehem Pa. Sealed LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 18m
METAL CHURCH - Generation Nothing CD, Digi - Rat Pak Rec. 2013 Brand NEW Sealed US $17.00 Buy It Now 4h 19m
All Soul's Choir - Noel Tredinnick - Hymns For Today's Church - Word - WST9623 US $6.78 Buy It Now 4h 31m
MODEL CHURCH:BEST OF BLUEG / VARIOUS NEW CD US $10.56 Buy It Now 4h 37m
Build Thee More Stately Mansions Choir of Central Christian Church Sealed US $12.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Cathedral Bellringers Episcopal Church St. Philip Westminster WP6059 SEALED US $34.99 Buy It Now 4h 45m
DARK MIRROR Visions of Pain power thrash metal Rare Church Anvil Fates Warning US $17.00 Buy It Now 4h 45m
Oh Lord You're Beautiful THE TIMES SQUARE CHURCH CHILDREN'S CHOIR cd NICE Your US $9.12 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $6.91 Buy It Now 4h 50m
Therapy?(CD Single Promo)Church Of Noise-A & M US $11.54 Buy It Now 4h 51m
J Church Society Is A Carnivorous Flowe CD NEW (UK Import) US $12.82 Buy It Now 4h 52m
Gospel Religious Enduring Power Voices Of The White Rock Baptist Church 45 US $0.99 [0 bids]
WEELKES (CHRIST) (CHURCH) (CATHEDRAL) (CHOIR) (/) (DARLINGTON) - NEW CD US $24.04 Buy It Now 4h 57m
CASSETTE TAPE JOHNNY MANN SINGERS THE CHURCH'S ONE FOUNDATION 1975 LEXICON MUSIC US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h
In Jesus' Name: Songs of the Native American Church Leeann Brady music cd US $14.95 Buy It Now 5h
Bach - Helmut Walcha - Schnitger Organ St Laurence Church - DG Tulips - 135046 US $20.38 Buy It Now 5h 2m
CHURCH OF MISERY - THE SECOND COMING - SALVATION LABEL - ELECTRIC WIZARD US $74.79 Buy It Now 5h 5m
Enchantment by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2001, Columbia (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Vivaldi: Gloria; Handel: Utrecht Te Deum Christ Church /AAM/Simon Preston CD US $3.49 Buy It Now 5h 9m
The Outsiders by Eric Church (CD, Feb-2014, Capitol Nashville) US $6.50 [7 bids]
ANDRAE CROUCH LET THE CHURCH SAY AMEN (ACCOMPANIMENT PERFORMANCE TRACK) US $8.25 Buy It Now 5h 9m
BELL GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH CHOIR FEATURING REV. WILLIE MORGANFIELD NEW SEALED LP US $21.99 Buy It Now 5h 12m
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE OLD COUNTRY CHURCH- GUIDEPOSTS SET - 10 CASSETTES US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 17m
ALMOST YESTERDAY BY THE CHURCH (COMPILATION, DEC-1994, RAVEN) US $25.99 [0 bids]
Alpha Book 2 Year 1 Songs by Chapel Choir Nauraushaun Presbyterian Church Record US $0.99 [0 bids]
1ST BAPTIST CHURCH OF DALLAS CHOIR For Thee I Sing US $11.00 Buy It Now 5h 36m
THE CHURCH.TERRA NOVA CAIN + 2 NON-LP TRKS.12" PROMO US $11.01 Buy It Now 5h 54m
DRUG CHURCH - PAUL WALKER NEW CD US $19.41 Buy It Now 6h 7m
Rejoice St. Ann's Church Choir New Britain Ct LP 5002 US $7.20 Buy It Now 6h 14m
CHURCH KEYS Work With It!!! LP NEW SEALED VINYL GARAGE ROCK A-BONES US $17.99 Buy It Now 6h 14m
DOO-WOP CLASSIC ***THE WILLOWS --- CHURCH BELLS MAY RING US $20.00 Buy It Now 6h 21m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH - BACK TO SCRATCH _ CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 6h 23m
MAURICE ELWIN Baritone Little old church in the valley 78 Zonophone 5944 US $22.08 Buy It Now 6h 26m
SALEM MASSACHUSETTS Congregational Church GERMAN CHOIR CD VERY RARE OOP US $39.95 Buy It Now 6h 27m
RED FOLEY CHURCH IN THE WILDWOOD . PICKWICK LP US $3.65 Buy It Now 6h 43m
NEW - Church of the Apostles. Ordo US $12.99 Buy It Now 6h 43m
Bach Telemann German Church Cantatas & Arias Accent Rare Mint Classical LP US $22.08 Buy It Now 6h 44m
Britten Benjamin Church Music Oxford Choir Rare LP US $16.98 Buy It Now 6h 46m
Charlotte Church - Charlotte Church (1999) CD SPEEDYPOST US $1.68 Buy It Now 6h 47m
Surf Classic - REVELS - (HEAR) - "CHURCH KEY" b/w "VESUVIUS" on IMPACT (VG+) US $15.00 Buy It Now 6h 56m
CULTURE CLUB-CHURCH POISON MIND/MYSTERY BOY US M- 45+PS US $4.98 Buy It Now 6h 58m
CULTURE CLUB-CHURCH 0F POISON MIND/MAN SHAKE EU 45+PS US $5.98 Buy It Now 6h 58m
1972 Ralph E. Jerles Music From The Mother Church Organ LP NEW STILL SEALED US $5.50 Buy It Now 6h 59m
RICK MUCHOW-West Coast Worship/THE GOSPEL EXPRESSIONS/Saddleback Church/ROCK-Cd US $10.99 Buy It Now 7h
WILLOWS 78 1ST PRESS TYPOGRAPHIC CHURCH BELLS "ARE" RINGING LBL MISTAKE MELBA US $24.99 [0 bids]
Disc-Church Clothes V2 * NEW ITEM! US $18.23 Buy It Now 7h 6m
METAL CHURCH THE HUMAN FACTOR 180GM LP VINYL NEW US $35.68 Buy It Now 7h 11m
Little Church on the Prairie: Hymns from the Open Range US $13.29 Buy It Now 7h 15m
The Church: Called and Collected CD US $15.29 Buy It Now 7h 16m
CD SEALED CECE WINANS "BORN AGAIN CHURCH CHOIR" US $3.95 [0 bids]
Ceremonial Tudor Church Music Purcell Chorus Voices Choristers St Paul BURGESS US $9.95 Buy It Now 7h 21m
Eric Church - Chief NEW CD US $15.86 Buy It Now 7h 26m
Church Choirs Vocal Groups - Vol. 4-Church Choirs Vocal Gro [CD New] US $13.86 Buy It Now 7h 30m
Church - Uninvited Like The Clouds [CD New] US $15.86 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Church,Eric - Sinners Like Me [Vinyl New] US $13.46 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Addison,Kalim & The Shiloh Baptist Church - Ill Say Yes [CD New] US $19.33 Buy It Now 7h 31m
JARVIS CHURCH - SHAKE IT OFF CD - US $2.00 Buy It Now 7h 31m
European Church Bells [CD New] US $21.34 Buy It Now 7h 31m
Oskido's Church Grooves - 7th Commandment South African CD *New* CDRBL 456 US $13.00 Buy It Now 7h 35m
LOT OF 4 SEALED CDs INDIE/ALT ROCK ARTISTS Church-Gene-Oranger-Young Knives US $4.99 [0 bids]
We Can Change The World - Metro Band Church CD DVD US $9.99 [0 bids]
CHRISTMAS CAROLS LP VINYL RECORD TEMPLE CHURCH CHOIR THALBEN BALL RARE ARGENTINA US $19.97 Buy It Now 7h 49m
J D CROWE - The Model Church - Excellent Condition LP Record Sundown SDLP 038 US $22.08 Buy It Now 7h 50m

More places to buy THE CHURCH music online Buy THE CHURCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE CHURCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE CHURCH Starfish ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(20%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(43%)

THE CHURCH Starfish reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
4 stars [Sixth in a series] After taking an almost three-year hiatus, The Church returned with an album that shows just how comfortable they had become with their progressive sensibilities (as well as providing a vehicle for Kilbey's increasingly poetic lyrics). "Destination" begins the journey with the most musically "thoughtful" composition they had so far produced. It is a beautifully constructed piece containing a deceptively simple, but effective, arrangement (including a surprising, almost "empty" pre-chorus, showing their increasing comfort with "space"), and their most maturely textured sound so far. Their second (unexpected, runaway) hit - "Under the Milky Way" - contains some of their developing "trademarks," including a crisp acoustic guitar, a simple, haunting keyboard figure, and a lush, expansive atmosphere. "Blood Money" has a more straightforward feel, but retains most of the elements that the band was beginning to incorporate as part of its now-almost-fully-developed "sound." Although seemingly way-simple, "Lost" is a very good example of the sound and approach that would "mark" The Church's style (especially on "Holograms of Baal"). "North, South, East and West" is another excellent example of the kind of expansive atmosphere, guitar figures and arrangement that would come to dominate - indeed, define - the band's sound. "Spark," a throw-back to the band's earlier sound (rock-y, pop-ish), is interesting, even captivating, in its own way. "Antenna" brings us back to the band's new sensibilities, this time with a wonderful rhythm guitar figure, a tight arrangement, and that now-trademark lush, expansive atmosphere. Along with "Destination," my fave on the album. "Reptile" is more straightforward, though it maintains many of the elements now associated with the band's approach. "A New Season" seems to be an idea that didn't quite cohere, and is the album's "weak link." "Hotel Womb" ends the album on an appropriate (if somewhat melancholy) note. All the requisite elements are here, though assembled in a slightly different way. Indeed, it provides an almost perfect transition from this album to the next: it could just as appropriately have served as the opening song on "Gold Afternoon Fix."

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#9) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 30, 2004

Review by hdfisch
2 stars Edited 10/4/2005!

The songs presented on this album here are all very nice and a nice listen, in fact one of them even became something like a "airplay hit" and probably more songs on this album would have the (doubtful) "quality" for this because most of them are quite radio-friendly I have to say. Obviously here no keyboards at all have been involved and the music is dominated by jangling guitars and could be compared with other Indie rock bands from that time like The Verve, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Smiths.The album is a nice Indie pop rock one and for that reason I can't give it more than 2 stars,

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#10) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005

Review by Chris S
3 stars Easy listening category but at the same time this Australian outfit were/are a cut above a lot of other bands in the same category. Starfish makes for a great listen and has jewels embedded throughout the album. That does mean that it is all not brilliant so yes, it does submit to mediocrity at times.

' Under The Milky Way ' is undoubtedly the star on this album. Other great tracks include ' Spark' and ' Reptile'. Steve Kilbey does his business in the vocal department adding the stalwart bass lines. Is this progressive music? Certainly not but well worth an argument on inclusion on this site. I for one welcome them and their contribution to prog related sounds. No worries Australia! A good album at best but I am sure there are many die hards who would rate this higher. A good comparison would be Lloyd Cole and the Commotions from the UK for the characteristic sound and voice.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#113359) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 24, 2007

Review by fuxi
3 stars In case you don't know the Church, STARFISH is a delightful album of dreamy, melancholic and nocturnal pop-rock, strongly influenced by early 1980s bands like Echo and the Bunnymen, Aztec Camera and the Sound, but sounding considerably less anguished. If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong!) the Church owe a lot to that ideal combination of acoustic-guitar-twinned-with-Rickenbacker. The second tune on this album, 'Under the Milky Way', is one of my favourite (belated) new-wave tracks, and I was very happy when it finally got its due on the original soundtrack of the film DONNIE DARKO, since it was featured in that film's party sequence, if I remember correctly. (Unfortunately, in the revised Director's Cut, which many of you may get to see when you buy the DVD, the song's impact was much reduced: you only hear a snippet of it on the car radio, when Donnie and his Dad go for a ride.) What any of this has to do with prog rock I couldn't tell you. Perhaps there's a certain Syd Barrett influence... Much recommended, in any case!

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#156542) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2007

4 stars This is a very special album for me. People have said they feel sorry for me that when I started to really get into music it was 1980, and we all know how bad the eighties were for music. I did feel that way around 1987, it was such a bleak time music wise for me, but not the first half of the decade. I was listening to "Heaven And Hell" by BLACK SABBATH, "Permanent Waves' by RUSH, "Piece Of Mind" by IRON MAIDEN along with AC/DC and the classics like FLOYD and ZEP and many other "Hard Rock" bands of that time. I remember "New Wave" music being all over the radio, I actually liked some of it, it was fun and that's what life was all about for me back then. I never bought any albums by these bands though because I figured there would be one or two good songs and the rest would be awful. I was concerned about that when I bought this cd ("Starfish") recently but how wrong I was.

This is very much a guitar album with those duo guitars offering up these melodies that jangle and echo. Lots of atmosphere and space here. Then we get Kilby's reserved vocals singing these great lyrics. It was the song "Under The Milky Way" that caused me to buy this record in the first place, it just brings back such great memories of the early eighties, and even though it was released much later (1988) it has that "sound" from what was on the radio back then.1980 was such a great year for me, the Trans Am I had bought the year before was done (jacked up, wide rear tires, Crager rims, upgraded stereo) and I just started going out with the most beautiful girl I had ever seen in June of that year.That reminds me of the title of that OCEANSIZE song "Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs", I couldn't believe that she would go out with me. Anyway back then it was all about this green eyed blonde, drugs, music and my car with the Hurst 4 speed shifter. Had to get that in (haha). We would just drive the beaches back then listening to tunes. Anyway the music here by these Australians is very much what i'd call beach music. Just everything about it makes me yearn for those days even though I wouldn't trade my family for any of it. It's hard to explain really.

"Destination" has such a dreamy and lush sound to it, very much a feel good song for me. A top three track too. As is of course "Under The Milky Way". Water just rises to my eyes just about everytime I hear this. Some things can't be explained but when I hear this i'm back in 1980 in my spirit. Just a gorgeous track with that strummed guitar and those almost spoken vocals. "Blood Money" has a great mood to it. It kicks in before 1 1/2 minutes. Love the guitar after 2 minutes. "Lost" just trips along with these incredible lyrics. Great tune. "North, South, East And West" has this really good sounding guitar to open that jangles and echoes. Another favourite for me. "Spark" is the most uptempo and energetic of the lot. "Antenna" opens with more amazing guitar that seems to fill the air. Some mandolin too 2 minutes in. "Reptile" is the other top three. I just can't get enough of these guitar sounds. Beautiful track. "A New Season" is another feel good song. The vocals and guitars seem to blend together to create a haze of pleasure. "Hotel Womb" has a Post-Rock vibe to it. Check out the guitar after 3 1/2 minutes and the drums are very prominant here.

This was like a trip down memory lane even though I never took This trip before. I'm sure this all makes perfect sense.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#232977) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 20, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This sixth album from "The Church" is all about melancholic rock. The band seems to have taken some distance with their new wave oriented sound and released a straight forward good rock album. Still, "Spark" or "Reptile" do sound as most of their previous works.

Lots of guitars, even acoustic moments like during "Under The Milky Way" do provide a fine musical moment. I far much prefer this album than their last three efforts. This one offers a more mature work (maybe that the long three years break was necessary to reach this).

I also agree with the comparison, with the great "Echo & The Bunnymen". Same melancholic and detached approach. I quite like this actually. The Bunnymen were definitely one of the best band of the eighties.

I also have to mention that the prog relation is rather thin on this album; but we are still in front of a good rock album. And when music is good, it is all that matters I guess.

One of my fave is the dynamic and solid "North, South, East And West". The filiation with The Bunnymen has never been so close. Soaring guitars, peaceful and deep vocals. Quite enjoyable for sure.

The only negative point about this album could be that it should have been more varied. After the first half, one gets too much of the same (cf. "Antenna"). In all, this is quite a decent album which I rate with three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#239114) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 13, 2009

4 stars I'm a sucker for a well crafted tune and thats what you get with The Church's release of Starish. With their almost Byrds like jangly guitar sound of Piper and Koppes, as well as a very atmospheric laid back approach, at first I found it difficult to see them as an Art Rock Prog band. However ... (read more)

Report this review (#125345) | Posted by madgo2 | Sunday, June 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The Church have released a multitude of albums since 1981, but one stands out for it's compositions and 2 radio-friendly hits: Starfish. Aside from a kind of cool album name, The Church had the insanely catchy "Reptile" with the delayed picking at the beginning of the song that makes it instantl ... (read more)

Report this review (#58067) | Posted by | Saturday, November 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "Starfish" was the lonely commercial adventure for The Church. For a band of an underground nature like this one, this could have been something dangerous. Fortunately they managed to come up with something playable on the radio and reliable to fans taste at the same time. However, alth ... (read more)

Report this review (#52724) | Posted by shyman | Saturday, October 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE CHURCH "Starfish"