STARFISH

Good, but non-essential

Buy THE CHURCH Music
Studio Album, released in 1988

1. Destination (5:51)
2. Under The Milky Way (4:57)
3. Blood Money (4:23)
4. Lost (4:47)
5. North, South, East and West (4:59)
6. Spark (3:45)

- Peter Koppes / guitars, vocals
- Marty Willson-Piper / guitars, vocals
- Richard Ploog / drums, percussion

CD Arista ARCD-8521

THE CHURCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE CHURCH Starfish Music

Church : Of Skins & Hearts CD (1990) US $10.00 Buy It Now 42m 29s
METAL CHURCH - Human Factor -cd ( ltd DIJIPACK ) US $7.99 Buy It Now 49m
Russian Church Music, , Import US $4.92 Buy It Now 56m 37s
Corelli: Opus 1 & 3 - Church Sonatas, New Music US $18.53 Buy It Now 1h 30m
Ernest Lough / Temple Church Choir London - Hear My Prayer 7" 1950s HMV 7EG8293 US $5.80 Buy It Now 2h
Matt Church - Secret Songs Of The 16th Century CD US $38.00 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Prelude - The Best of Charlotte Church US $4.08 Buy It Now 2h 6m
Church In The Wildwood ~ The Michaelsens - Very Scarce Private Xian Gospel LP US $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 33m
Decca : LK 4543 Sing & Rejoice : The Choir of St. Mark's Church.North Audley St US $11.26 Buy It Now 2h 46m
ALAIN/REGER - OSCAR CHURCH ORGAN [CD NEW] US $18.99 Buy It Now 2h 47m
The Church - Hindsight 1980-1987 2x LP Vinyl US $69.99 Buy It Now 3h 9m
Charlotte Church US $4.08 Buy It Now 3h 21m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH - THE BEST OF on CD - NEW - US $15.11 Buy It Now 3h 21m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH.INCLUDES 'JUST WAVE HELLO'. US $1.64 [0 bids]
THE CHURCH - THE CHURCH - FORGET YOURSELF - NEW CD/DVD(DUALDISC) US $9.98 Buy It Now 3h 34m
IKO 14 RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH MUSIC 12 liturgy st john fortounatto LP PS EX/EX US $14.91 Buy It Now 3h 44m
NORTHWEST CHURCH hail to the lamb SFR116 uk songs of fellowship LP PS VG/EX US $35.05 Buy It Now 3h 44m
IKO 1 RUSSIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH MUSIC 1 matveev/archimandrite matthew LP PS EX/EX US $14.91 Buy It Now 3h 44m
The Cowboy Church Sunday School The Lord Is Counting On You 78rpm Disc US $16.56 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Various Artists,Nerf Herder,The Church,LFO,NEW CD,Rockin' 90's US $2.49 Buy It Now 4h 3m
ORGANS OF THE NETHERLANDS VOL 4 CD J S BACH ORGAN OF THE CHURCH NIJKERK US $5.00 Buy It Now 4h 7m
AMOS-CHURCH OF FREEDOM-OLDSKOOL HOUSE/RETRO/95 @LISTEN US $7.94 Buy It Now 4h 9m
WESSEX GOSPEL CHOIR CHRIST THE LORD RECORDED IN ST PAULS CHURCH BOURNEMOUTH bx2 US $8.27 Buy It Now 4h 23m
ABBEY PHB 700 - MUSIC OF S S WESLEY FROM LEEDS PARISH CHURCH VINYL LP BX2 US $8.27 Buy It Now 4h 23m
MANUELA I HEAR THOSE CHURCH BELLS RINGING GER-7" PS1972 US $18.74 Buy It Now 4h 29m
CHRISTMAS CAROLS with ST MARY CHURCH WARWICK - Ex Con LP Record Abbey XMS 666 US $14.91 Buy It Now 4h 31m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH - CRAZY CHICK (CD1) - CD SINGLE EXCELLENT US $3.30 Buy It Now 4h 35m
DEUS OTIOSUS-GODLESS-CD-death-hideous invasion-church bizarre-grave-maim US $9.99 Buy It Now 4h 36m
David Crowder Band - Church Music (2009) - Used - Compact Disc US $4.10 Buy It Now 4h 40m
CHURCH almost with you 7" b/w life speeds up (car247) writing on label uk carrer US $10.11 Buy It Now 4h 46m
Brian James - Ain't That A Shame 7" single (Damned, Lords Of The New Church) US $4.13 [0 bids]
The Church Forget Yourself by cd US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h 50m
WILLOWS church bells may ring 7" split reissue (col3025) us collectables 0 US $8.27 Buy It Now 4h 53m
the Church: Terra Nova Cain 12 inch single Arista 1990 US $9.00 Buy It Now 4h 57m
THE CHURCH Greatest Hits Acoustic CD BRAND NEW Liberation Steve Kilbey US $10.81 Buy It Now 5h
THE CHURCH El Momento Descuidado CD BRAND NEW Liberation Acoustic US $12.05 Buy It Now 5h
THE BOX TOPS-I MET HER IN CHURCH-ORIGINAL DIFFERENT INDIAN PRESSIN PS 45rpm 1968 US $14.00 Buy It Now 5h 15m
LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH rockers LP 10 track limited to 300 copies only (djb 6661 US $19.88 Buy It Now 5h 23m
RONNIE MCDOWELL - AT CHURCH STREET STATION - NEW CD US $9.31 Buy It Now 5h 26m
Rare OOP J Church Tide of Fate 7 inch US $14.99 [0 bids]
St. Martin De Porres Roman Catholic Church Mass Choir CD It's Time NEW FREE SHIP US $14.99 Buy It Now 5h 32m
METAL CHURCH - DYNAMO CLASSIC CONCERTS 1991 - FDDL0041 US $21.52 Buy It Now 5h 40m
Church in the Wildwood [Bonus Tracks] by The Jordanaires (CD, Mar-2003, Universa US $2.95 [0 bids]
THE MEN_Church Of Logic_used CD-s_ships from AUSTRALIA_r5 US $9.35 Buy It Now 5h 57m
Britten Benjamin Church Music Oxford Choir Rare LP US $16.56 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Bach Telemann German Church Cantatas & Arias Accent Rare Mint Classical LP US $21.54 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Trinity Church Choir - Candlelight Carols [CD] US $8.99 Buy It Now 6h 16m
The Church: Heyday LP NM Canada Warner Bros. 92 53701 lyric sleeve US $24.99 Buy It Now 6h 19m
Rare French Church Point LA Louisiana Bee 111 45rpm Terry Cormier Playboys Elton US $9.99 [0 bids]
Eric Church - Outsiders (2014) - New - Long Play Record US $13.51 Buy It Now 6h 38m
CHURCH WHIP Psychedelic Nightmare LP blackened hardcore punk horrid cross NEW US $14.99 Buy It Now 6h 44m
Church of Noise US $4.08 Buy It Now 7h 4m
Paul Walker [Digipak] by Drug Church (CD, Jul-2013, No Sleep Records) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Official Poster For Steve Kilby (The Church) Nov 2013 US $23.38 [0 bids]
bible way church of god choir lp let the church roll on vg/vg+ king 736 mono US $17.99 Buy It Now 7h 25m
Organ & Choral Works by King, Larry, Trinity Church Wall Street Choir US $71.00 Buy It Now 7h 41m
Music for the Church Year - Riverside Recording SSLX 425 Vinyl US $24.87 Buy It Now 7h 42m
The Temple Church Choir(Vinyl LP)Favourite Hymns And Organ Voluntaries-HMV-CSD 1 US $18.22 Buy It Now 7h 44m
"The Church of Hawkwind" HAWKWIND 1982 RCA Vinyl LP EXCELLENT US $41.44 Buy It Now 7h 50m
METAL CHURCH-THE HUMAN FACTOR savatage,metallica,agent steel 1991 EPIC ORG! US $25.00 Buy It Now 7h 52m
Huge Lot 120+ Christian Accompaniment CD Daywind Star Tracks 3 Key Chorus Church US $51.00 [2 bids]
ST CHRISTOPHER CHURCH CHOIR & BELL RINGERS MIDLOTHIAN ILLINOIS SEALED ALBUM US $6.99 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Going to the Bone Church * by Make Believe (Vinyl, Apr-2008, Flameshovel) US $5.99 [0 bids]
LISTEN RARE FRENCH EP SOUL POPCORN - EUGENE CHURCH - PRETTY GIRLS EVERYWHERE US $10.00 [0 bids]
HEILIGES RUSSLAND Russian Church Music Schwann 4 LP NM Box Tschaikowsky US $4.99 [0 bids]
Resurrection Concert LIVE S.C.C.Y.C. African Methodist Episcopal Church Record US $4.99 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Dream a Dream by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2000, Sony Classical) US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 32m
The Church Starfish US $3.99 Buy It Now 8h 35m
Charlotte Church : Charlotte Church CD (1999) US $3.25 Buy It Now 8h 38m
UNDER THE MILKY WAY - THE BEST OF THE CHURCH US $10.95 [0 bids]
FLANNEL CHURCH - LIVE FROM WANEE 2013 [FLANNEL CHURCH] - NEW CD US $19.09 Buy It Now 9h
THE DIAMONDS - The Church Bells May Ring & Little Girl Of Mine - Mercury 70835 US $3.99 [0 bids]
Rare First Issue Metal Church METAL CHURCH 9 60471-4 OOP maiden priest US $9.95 [0 bids]
The Bonny Brook Messengers Lp V ibyl From bONNY BROOK cHURCH US $3.99 Buy It Now 9h 7m
O LOVE DIVINE cd Palmer Memorial Episcopal Church HOUSTON Music for LENT/EASTER US $12.51 Buy It Now 9h 10m
Masonic All Stars "Wait on the Lord - Church" Gary IN Black Gospel Soul Staff 45 US $7.50 Buy It Now 9h 11m
Image - Japan CD YO YO MA Karl Jenkins Taro Hakase CHARLOTTE CHURCH GONTITI US $13.78 Buy It Now 9h 12m
THE GREATEST PRAISE SONGS OF THE CHURCH - 4-DISC CD SET - GUIDEPOST MUSIC - NEW US $21.00 Buy It Now 9h 13m
Let The Church Roll On by Robbie & Steve 33 LP Record Album US $5.95 Buy It Now 9h 19m
Church Loveblind (promo) CD Single Arista ASCD-2741 1994 US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 21m
Church Metropolis (promo) CD Single Arista ASCD-9950 1990 US $6.99 Buy It Now 9h 21m
CHURCH, Aussie 7" 45 YOU'RE STILL BEAUTIFUL~HUNTER, 1990 on Mushroom US $13.50 Buy It Now 9h 25m
Cathedrals .. 21 Favorite Hymns & Songs of the Church US $77.93 Buy It Now 9h 27m
MIXED CHURCH CHOIR Onward Christian Soldiers O Jesus I Have Promised 78 HMV B375 US $21.54 Buy It Now 9h 27m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH VOICE OF AN ANGEL CASSETTE TAPE ALBUM C9 US $2.12 Buy It Now 9h 29m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH SELF TITLED CASSETTE TAPE ALBUM C9 US $3.52 Buy It Now 9h 29m
Various Artists 50 of the Greatest Gospel Church Songs, CD US $4.02 Buy It Now 9h 33m
CHURCH, UK 7" 45 TANTALIZED~THE VIEW, 1985 on EMI 5557 US $15.00 Buy It Now 9h 36m
2 ea New Gloria The Scared Music & TE DEUM & Other Church Music CD's-John Rutter US $13.99 [0 bids]
Charlotte Church : Dream a Dream: Charlotte Church in the Holy Land CD (2000) US $3.25 Buy It Now 9h 40m
Charlotte Church : Enchantment CD (2001) US $3.25 Buy It Now 9h 40m
Church,Charlotte Dream a Dream (Target Version) CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 9h 41m
Dusk: I Hear Those Church Bells Ringing / I Cannot See You [Unplayed Copy] US $6.97 Buy It Now 9h 44m
CHARLOTTE CHURCH "S/T" CD 1999 just wave hello US $6.00 Buy It Now 9h 50m
LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH - Dance With Me - Excellent Con 7" Single IRS PFP 1022 US $6.53 Buy It Now 9h 55m
Night Church US $5.00 Buy It Now 9h 56m
27 CDS Pastor Robb Thompson Faith Week 2003 Family Harvest Church US $29.99 Buy It Now 10h
CHARLOTTE CHURCH VOICE OF AN ANGEL WELSH NATIONAL ORCHESTRA CD BRAND NEW US $7.95 Buy It Now 10h 4m
Church of Rhythm : Church of Rhythm CD US $4.00 Buy It Now 10h 13m
5.6.7.8's / CHURCH KEYS NEW 45! Norton Rolling Stones Covers Series US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 13m

More places to buy THE CHURCH music online Buy THE CHURCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE CHURCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE CHURCH Starfish ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(19%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(45%)

THE CHURCH Starfish reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
4 stars [Sixth in a series] After taking an almost three-year hiatus, The Church returned with an album that shows just how comfortable they had become with their progressive sensibilities (as well as providing a vehicle for Kilbey's increasingly poetic lyrics). "Destination" begins the journey with the most musically "thoughtful" composition they had so far produced. It is a beautifully constructed piece containing a deceptively simple, but effective, arrangement (including a surprising, almost "empty" pre-chorus, showing their increasing comfort with "space"), and their most maturely textured sound so far. Their second (unexpected, runaway) hit - "Under the Milky Way" - contains some of their developing "trademarks," including a crisp acoustic guitar, a simple, haunting keyboard figure, and a lush, expansive atmosphere. "Blood Money" has a more straightforward feel, but retains most of the elements that the band was beginning to incorporate as part of its now-almost-fully-developed "sound." Although seemingly way-simple, "Lost" is a very good example of the sound and approach that would "mark" The Church's style (especially on "Holograms of Baal"). "North, South, East and West" is another excellent example of the kind of expansive atmosphere, guitar figures and arrangement that would come to dominate - indeed, define - the band's sound. "Spark," a throw-back to the band's earlier sound (rock-y, pop-ish), is interesting, even captivating, in its own way. "Antenna" brings us back to the band's new sensibilities, this time with a wonderful rhythm guitar figure, a tight arrangement, and that now-trademark lush, expansive atmosphere. Along with "Destination," my fave on the album. "Reptile" is more straightforward, though it maintains many of the elements now associated with the band's approach. "A New Season" seems to be an idea that didn't quite cohere, and is the album's "weak link." "Hotel Womb" ends the album on an appropriate (if somewhat melancholy) note. All the requisite elements are here, though assembled in a slightly different way. Indeed, it provides an almost perfect transition from this album to the next: it could just as appropriately have served as the opening song on "Gold Afternoon Fix."

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#9) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 30, 2004

Review by hdfisch
2 stars Edited 10/4/2005!

The songs presented on this album here are all very nice and a nice listen, in fact one of them even became something like a "airplay hit" and probably more songs on this album would have the (doubtful) "quality" for this because most of them are quite radio-friendly I have to say. Obviously here no keyboards at all have been involved and the music is dominated by jangling guitars and could be compared with other Indie rock bands from that time like The Verve, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Smiths.The album is a nice Indie pop rock one and for that reason I can't give it more than 2 stars,

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#10) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005

Review by Chris S
3 stars Easy listening category but at the same time this Australian outfit were/are a cut above a lot of other bands in the same category. Starfish makes for a great listen and has jewels embedded throughout the album. That does mean that it is all not brilliant so yes, it does submit to mediocrity at times.

' Under The Milky Way ' is undoubtedly the star on this album. Other great tracks include ' Spark' and ' Reptile'. Steve Kilbey does his business in the vocal department adding the stalwart bass lines. Is this progressive music? Certainly not but well worth an argument on inclusion on this site. I for one welcome them and their contribution to prog related sounds. No worries Australia! A good album at best but I am sure there are many die hards who would rate this higher. A good comparison would be Lloyd Cole and the Commotions from the UK for the characteristic sound and voice.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#113359) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 24, 2007

Review by fuxi
3 stars In case you don't know the Church, STARFISH is a delightful album of dreamy, melancholic and nocturnal pop-rock, strongly influenced by early 1980s bands like Echo and the Bunnymen, Aztec Camera and the Sound, but sounding considerably less anguished. If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong!) the Church owe a lot to that ideal combination of acoustic-guitar-twinned-with-Rickenbacker. The second tune on this album, 'Under the Milky Way', is one of my favourite (belated) new-wave tracks, and I was very happy when it finally got its due on the original soundtrack of the film DONNIE DARKO, since it was featured in that film's party sequence, if I remember correctly. (Unfortunately, in the revised Director's Cut, which many of you may get to see when you buy the DVD, the song's impact was much reduced: you only hear a snippet of it on the car radio, when Donnie and his Dad go for a ride.) What any of this has to do with prog rock I couldn't tell you. Perhaps there's a certain Syd Barrett influence... Much recommended, in any case!

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#156542) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2007

4 stars This is a very special album for me. People have said they feel sorry for me that when I started to really get into music it was 1980, and we all know how bad the eighties were for music. I did feel that way around 1987, it was such a bleak time music wise for me, but not the first half of the decade. I was listening to "Heaven And Hell" by BLACK SABBATH, "Permanent Waves' by RUSH, "Piece Of Mind" by IRON MAIDEN along with AC/DC and the classics like FLOYD and ZEP and many other "Hard Rock" bands of that time. I remember "New Wave" music being all over the radio, I actually liked some of it, it was fun and that's what life was all about for me back then. I never bought any albums by these bands though because I figured there would be one or two good songs and the rest would be awful. I was concerned about that when I bought this cd ("Starfish") recently but how wrong I was.

This is very much a guitar album with those duo guitars offering up these melodies that jangle and echo. Lots of atmosphere and space here. Then we get Kilby's reserved vocals singing these great lyrics. It was the song "Under The Milky Way" that caused me to buy this record in the first place, it just brings back such great memories of the early eighties, and even though it was released much later (1988) it has that "sound" from what was on the radio back then.1980 was such a great year for me, the Trans Am I had bought the year before was done (jacked up, wide rear tires, Crager rims, upgraded stereo) and I just started going out with the most beautiful girl I had ever seen in June of that year.That reminds me of the title of that OCEANSIZE song "Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs", I couldn't believe that she would go out with me. Anyway back then it was all about this green eyed blonde, drugs, music and my car with the Hurst 4 speed shifter. Had to get that in (haha). We would just drive the beaches back then listening to tunes. Anyway the music here by these Australians is very much what i'd call beach music. Just everything about it makes me yearn for those days even though I wouldn't trade my family for any of it. It's hard to explain really.

"Destination" has such a dreamy and lush sound to it, very much a feel good song for me. A top three track too. As is of course "Under The Milky Way". Water just rises to my eyes just about everytime I hear this. Some things can't be explained but when I hear this i'm back in 1980 in my spirit. Just a gorgeous track with that strummed guitar and those almost spoken vocals. "Blood Money" has a great mood to it. It kicks in before 1 1/2 minutes. Love the guitar after 2 minutes. "Lost" just trips along with these incredible lyrics. Great tune. "North, South, East And West" has this really good sounding guitar to open that jangles and echoes. Another favourite for me. "Spark" is the most uptempo and energetic of the lot. "Antenna" opens with more amazing guitar that seems to fill the air. Some mandolin too 2 minutes in. "Reptile" is the other top three. I just can't get enough of these guitar sounds. Beautiful track. "A New Season" is another feel good song. The vocals and guitars seem to blend together to create a haze of pleasure. "Hotel Womb" has a Post-Rock vibe to it. Check out the guitar after 3 1/2 minutes and the drums are very prominant here.

This was like a trip down memory lane even though I never took This trip before. I'm sure this all makes perfect sense.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#232977) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 20, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This sixth album from "The Church" is all about melancholic rock. The band seems to have taken some distance with their new wave oriented sound and released a straight forward good rock album. Still, "Spark" or "Reptile" do sound as most of their previous works.

Lots of guitars, even acoustic moments like during "Under The Milky Way" do provide a fine musical moment. I far much prefer this album than their last three efforts. This one offers a more mature work (maybe that the long three years break was necessary to reach this).

I also agree with the comparison, with the great "Echo & The Bunnymen". Same melancholic and detached approach. I quite like this actually. The Bunnymen were definitely one of the best band of the eighties.

I also have to mention that the prog relation is rather thin on this album; but we are still in front of a good rock album. And when music is good, it is all that matters I guess.

One of my fave is the dynamic and solid "North, South, East And West". The filiation with The Bunnymen has never been so close. Soaring guitars, peaceful and deep vocals. Quite enjoyable for sure.

The only negative point about this album could be that it should have been more varied. After the first half, one gets too much of the same (cf. "Antenna"). In all, this is quite a decent album which I rate with three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#239114) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 13, 2009

4 stars I'm a sucker for a well crafted tune and thats what you get with The Church's release of Starish. With their almost Byrds like jangly guitar sound of Piper and Koppes, as well as a very atmospheric laid back approach, at first I found it difficult to see them as an Art Rock Prog band. However ... (read more)

Report this review (#125345) | Posted by madgo2 | Sunday, June 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The Church have released a multitude of albums since 1981, but one stands out for it's compositions and 2 radio-friendly hits: Starfish. Aside from a kind of cool album name, The Church had the insanely catchy "Reptile" with the delayed picking at the beginning of the song that makes it instantl ... (read more)

Report this review (#58067) | Posted by | Saturday, November 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "Starfish" was the lonely commercial adventure for The Church. For a band of an underground nature like this one, this could have been something dangerous. Fortunately they managed to come up with something playable on the radio and reliable to fans taste at the same time. However, alth ... (read more)

Report this review (#52724) | Posted by shyman | Saturday, October 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE CHURCH "Starfish"