STARFISH

Good, but non-essential

Buy THE CHURCH Music
Studio Album, released in 1988

1. Destination (5:51)
2. Under The Milky Way (4:57)
3. Blood Money (4:23)
4. Lost (4:47)
5. North, South, East and West (4:59)
6. Spark (3:45)

- Peter Koppes / guitars, vocals
- Marty Willson-Piper / guitars, vocals
- Richard Ploog / drums, percussion

CD Arista ARCD-8521

THE CHURCH MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE CHURCH Starfish Music

Under the Milky WayUnder the Milky Way
Sbme Special Mkts. 1999
SHANE MACGOWAN AND THE POPES - THE CHURCH OF THE HOLY SPOOK,Ltd CD 4 Tracks 1994 US $8.14 [0 bids]
30m 15s
REVEREND World Won't Miss You PROMO Vinyl LP 1990 David Wayne Metal Church US $14.98 [1 bids]
30m 59s
25 Hymns From The Old Country Church by Various Artists US $4.99 Buy It Now 39m 4s
Doo-Wop 45 THE DIAMONDS The Church Bells May Ring MERCURY ~HEAR US $5.49 [0 bids]
40m 6s
Thy Grief Eternal - On Blackened Wings (Ex Electric Wizard) Church of Misery, US $20.00 [0 bids]
41m 1s
JOHN CALE & TERRY RILEY-CHURCH OF ANTHRAX-JAPAN MINI LP CD F56 US $29.50 Buy It Now 41m 47s
Church of Love Choir 45 "Martin Luther King"- Gospel US $3.49 Buy It Now 42m 26s
YOUTH DEPARTMENT - The American Lutheran Church ~ SONGS FOR TODAY ~ 12" vinyl LP US $9.99 Buy It Now 43m 26s
Church Windows / Brazilian Impressions, New Music US $14.36 Buy It Now 46m 47s
Kerrang Issue 219 1988 Jon Bon Jovi Killer Dwarfs Metal Church Tesla US $12.23 Buy It Now 48m 26s
CHURCH OF MISERY Vol 1 CD new Emetic US $7.00 [1 bids]
49m 10s
V/A LEFT OF CENTER THE CHURCH ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN TELEVISION ISRAEL ISRAELI LP US $89.99 Buy It Now 51m 53s
WMTID ELECTRIC CHURCH LP W/L *NEW* Cassandra Complex CONCRETE PROD.Industrial US $25.99 Buy It Now 53m 2s
SACRED OATH - A CRYSTAL VISION 2001 1PR REISSUE NEW! ATTACKER METAL CHURCH US $9.99 Buy It Now 57m 33s
Church of Ra [7/22] by Church of Ra (CD, Jul-2014, ConSouling Sounds) US $11.01 Buy It Now 1h
Church Clothes [EP] [7/22] by Lecrae (CD, Jul-2014, Reach Records) US $4.33 Buy It Now 1h
"72" New anthem releases lillenas christian worship cd church religous music US $0.99 Buy It Now 1h 3m
3 FLUF VINYL 7" SINGLE RECORDS - PICTURE DISK - J CHURCH STENCIL - COLORED VINYL US $10.00 [0 bids]
(EO195) The Streets, Never Went To Church - 2006 DJ CD US $4.88 Buy It Now 1h 5m
CHANCEL CHOIR DE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH/richards US $8.99 Buy It Now 1h 8m
Box Tops People Gonna Talk/I Met Her In Church 45 RPM US $7.00 Buy It Now 1h 10m
MASTERS OF METAL hard rock WARRANT metal church DANGEROUS TOYS sanctuary NEW CD US $7.88 [0 bids]
THE CHURCH - BACK WITH TWO BEASTS - NEW CD US $25.17 Buy It Now 1h 13m
STANLEY BROTHERS Traditional Bluegrass Gospel MEET YOU IN CHURCH seek Jesus CD US $7.88 [0 bids]
BILL GAITHER TRIO Best 2CD HEARTLAND THE CHURCH TRIUMPHANT Anthology Rare US $29.99 Buy It Now 1h 16m
THINK ABOUT TOMORROW II FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH FERGUSON , MISSOURI FACTORY SEALED US $15.99 [0 bids]
Tavener Consort,Tavener Consort,Tavener Choir : Tallis: Latin Church Music I /Ta US $6.36 Buy It Now 1h 21m
100 Church Classics for Kids by Steven Anderson (CD, Sep-2003, 3 Discs,... US $10.05 [0 bids]
ANT BEE - ELECTRONIC CHURCH MUSIK NEW CD US $22.12 Buy It Now 1h 26m
BACH BOYCHOIR Lutheran Church 1966 PRIVATE MN LP RARE PRIVATE BOYS CHOIR US $49.95 [0 bids]
AUSTIN CHURCH Nail It Down Autographed Country 45~Rare US $12.00 Buy It Now 1h 34m
ANTIOCH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH CHOIR SCHAFFER LIVE DBL LP CHICAGO ILLINOIS US $7.99 Buy It Now 1h 38m
HILLCREST BAPTIST CHURCH YOUTH CHOIR With The TRUTH ~ Christian Folk Group LP US $2.99 [0 bids]
The Church Metropolis Rare Promo CD Single, 1990 Arista US $7.99 [0 bids]
Chicago Saint Peter's Church Organ Music 45rpm by Dr. William H Barnes US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH S/T 1982 12" Vinyl dead boys damned sham 69 DANFORTH US $23.98 Buy It Now 1h 43m
NEW REVELATION CHURCH CHOIR ~ Shine - STILL SEALED Black Gospel LP US $9.99 [0 bids]
3 Cassette Tapes Judas Priest, Dokken & Metal Church NEW & SEALED US $11.99 Buy It Now 1h 59m
CALVIN HANDBELL CHOIR / FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH "JOYFUL (HAND) BELLS" RECORD US $9.95 [0 bids]
The GOSPEL HERALDS ~ Church Back In The Mountains - Gospel LP US $4.99 [0 bids]
2h
(DE525) Electric Music, North London Spiritualist Church - 2000 DJ CD US $9.95 Buy It Now 2h 5m
J Church- Camels Spilled Corona and the sound of Mariachi Bands Lp, Picture Disc US $20.00 Buy It Now 2h 5m
"CHRISTMAS MUSIC FROM TRINITY (CHURCH ON THE GREEN), NEW HAVEN (CT)" LP RECORD US $9.95 [0 bids]
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $3.99 [0 bids]
CULTURE CLUB-CHURCH OF THE POISON MIND+/VIRGIN VS 571-12 NM/VG UK 12" US $5.98 Buy It Now 2h 9m
THE LIVELY STONE MB CHURCH The Greatest Knockout LP Gospel REV WILLIAM JENKINS US $5.99 Buy It Now 2h 9m
We're Havin' Church! by Mike Speck (CD, Apr-2006) New US $7.99 Buy It Now 2h 11m
_Songs of Christmas Arcadia Presbyterian Church Choir US $24.98 Buy It Now 2h 11m
Japan CD METAL CHURCH The Dark 2013 Digital Remastering Obi US $34.99 [0 bids]
Orgel Der Klosterkirche Fischingen- Historic Organ in the Church in Fischingen US $18.00 Buy It Now 2h 23m
Charlotte Church Voice of An Angel CD Pie Jesu Danny Boy Amazing Grace Jerusalem US $5.95 Buy It Now 2h 23m
CD - GEORG PHILIPP TELEMANN - CHURCH CANTATAS - HEYERICK (1987)ASLK CGER BELGIUM US $16.99 [0 bids]
JIMMY SWAGGART CD "Great Hymns Of The Church VOLUME 5" - COUNTRY GOSPEL US $13.41 Buy It Now 2h 26m
HW-2019 - Oh Jesus - Jewel Ackah with The Tema Anglican Church Choir US $22.67 Buy It Now 2h 27m
Charlotte Church by Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) - MINT US $4.25 Buy It Now 2h 28m
JIMMY SWAGGART CD "Great Hymns Of The Church VOLUME 4" - COUNTRY GOSPEL US $13.41 Buy It Now 2h 30m
Pink Cream 69 - Change RARE OOP 1st Pressing Embossed Jewel Case Metal Church US $8.48 [3 bids]
78 RPM-Billy Murray-Victor 5124-He Goes to Church on Sunday-Patents label-1908 US $11.99 Buy It Now 2h 32m
JIMMY SWAGGART CD "Great Hymns Of The Church VOLUME 3" - COUNTRY GOSPEL US $13.41 Buy It Now 2h 32m
TASMIN ARCHER - LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH/HERO (EM 266) UK 1993 7'' US $3.25 Buy It Now 2h 33m
1981 Christian LP Mary's Story Calvary Baptist Church Milwaukee Mother Of Jesus US $9.99 Buy It Now 2h 38m
The Church Ripple Promo Only 2 Versions Mint! US $9.99 [0 bids]
*PROMO* Bob Welch - Church (mono/stereo), Capitol P-4719 45 rpm single US $4.75 [0 bids]
THE CHURCH Seance CD w/ Bonus Tracks BRAND NEW US $23.33 Buy It Now 3h
Lot 2 Vintage VINYL RECORD LPs THE STANLEY BROTHERS Old COUNTRY CHURCH/STARDAY US $14.50 Buy It Now 3h 5m
Chief by Eric Church (CD, Jul-2011) CD Like New Condition US $10.50 [0 bids]
(Hear) 1965 Bethlehem Baptist Church Choir 45 (Trying to Get Ready b/w Trouble US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 9m
FINDING HAPPINESS ~ CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS (MORMON) CD US $0.99 [0 bids]
SURFARIS~MOMENT OF TRUTH~RARE PROMO~REPRISE~CHURCH KEY~~ INSTRUMENTAL 45 US $49.99 [0 bids]
SAM BLACK CHURCH PRESENTS BLACK COMEDY MINT CD BOSTON HARDCORE PUNK WONDERDRUG US $24.95 Buy It Now 3h 15m
Eric Church Homeboy Promo CD single Rare US $4.99 [0 bids]
Eric Church Drink In My Hand Promo CD Single Rare US $4.99 [0 bids]
Eric Church Homeboy Promo CD single Rare US $4.99 [0 bids]
I'll Meet You in Church Sunday Morning by Stanley Brothers (The) (Cassette,... US $4.99 Buy It Now 3h 19m
Swedish Rhapsody Immanuel Covenant Church Stockholm May 1982 Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
Gladsome Light: Liturgical Hymns of the Russian Church (CD, 1995, Imagina) US $3.99 [0 bids]
ERIC CHURCH DRINK IN MY HAND RARE PROMO CD SINGLE US $5.00 [0 bids]
ERIC CHURCH HOMEBOY RARE PROMO CD SINGLE US $5.00 [0 bids]
Caught in the Act: Live by Eric Church CMA Promo Slip Cover Mailer Rare CD US $9.99 [0 bids]
High Desert Church Hdc Live:: 2005 CD US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 28m
JOHN CALE & TERRY RILEY: Church Of Anthrax LP (UK, re) Rock & Pop US $18.00 Buy It Now 3h 29m
METAL CHURCH -THE HUMAN FACTOR- IMPORT-180 GRAM LP-VINYL- THRASH METAL US $25.99 Buy It Now 3h 30m
Dream a Dream Charlotte Church MUSIC CD US $7.48 Buy It Now 3h 30m
THE CHURCH self titled 1982 VG+ US $4.99 [0 bids]
Mozart: Church Sonatas CD (1994) US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 31m
Starfish The Church ARISTA 1988 ORIGINAL PRESS RARE OOP ARCD-8521 US $13.33 Buy It Now 3h 32m
500 Ft of Pipe - Electrifying Church of the New Light (2003) [Import] US $17.99 [0 bids]
Enchantment by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2001, Columbia) Import - No Insert US $1.49 [0 bids]
Dream a Dream by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2000, Sony Classical) US $1.49 [0 bids]
THE CADET CHOIR OF WEST POINT - CHURCH ANTHEMS - NEW SEALED LP VINTAGE 1959 US $6.00 Buy It Now 3h 54m
CLASSIC CD #119 RARE CHRISTMAS UK MAGAZINE & 2CD SET CHARLOTTE CHURCH CINDERELLA US $39.99 Buy It Now 3h 57m
Charlotte Church (CD, Nov-1999, Sony Classical) US $3.54 Buy It Now 3h 59m
The Church St. Five A Night With Daddy G Part 1 / pt 2 45 LeGrand Gary US Bonds US $0.99 [0 bids]
CHURCH OF MISERY - EARLY WORKS COMPILATION NEW VINYL US $52.77 Buy It Now 4h
Dream a Dream by Charlotte Church (CD, Oct-2000, Sony Classical) US $1.99 [0 bids]
Grant-Lee Phillips nineteeneighties CD covers PIXIES New Order THE CHURCH Cure + US $6.50 Buy It Now 4h 14m
Charlotte Church - 2 CDs / 33 Songs - Enchantment & Prelude (Best of Charlotte) US $5.95 [0 bids]
MOUNT ZION BAPTIST CHURCH CHOIR: Let Mount Zion Rejoice! (black gospel LP) US $15.00 Buy It Now 4h 24m
C J QUINCY THAT'S WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE CHURCH TODAY 45 QR BLACK GOSPEL US $8.00 Buy It Now 4h 27m
Prelude: The Best of Charlotte Church (Classical CD) US $5.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy THE CHURCH music online Buy THE CHURCH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE CHURCH DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE CHURCH Starfish ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(23%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(42%)

THE CHURCH Starfish reviews

Review by maani
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Founding Moderator
4 stars [Sixth in a series] After taking an almost three-year hiatus, The Church returned with an album that shows just how comfortable they had become with their progressive sensibilities (as well as providing a vehicle for Kilbey's increasingly poetic lyrics). "Destination" begins the journey with the most musically "thoughtful" composition they had so far produced. It is a beautifully constructed piece containing a deceptively simple, but effective, arrangement (including a surprising, almost "empty" pre-chorus, showing their increasing comfort with "space"), and their most maturely textured sound so far. Their second (unexpected, runaway) hit - "Under the Milky Way" - contains some of their developing "trademarks," including a crisp acoustic guitar, a simple, haunting keyboard figure, and a lush, expansive atmosphere. "Blood Money" has a more straightforward feel, but retains most of the elements that the band was beginning to incorporate as part of its now-almost-fully-developed "sound." Although seemingly way-simple, "Lost" is a very good example of the sound and approach that would "mark" The Church's style (especially on "Holograms of Baal"). "North, South, East and West" is another excellent example of the kind of expansive atmosphere, guitar figures and arrangement that would come to dominate - indeed, define - the band's sound. "Spark," a throw-back to the band's earlier sound (rock-y, pop-ish), is interesting, even captivating, in its own way. "Antenna" brings us back to the band's new sensibilities, this time with a wonderful rhythm guitar figure, a tight arrangement, and that now-trademark lush, expansive atmosphere. Along with "Destination," my fave on the album. "Reptile" is more straightforward, though it maintains many of the elements now associated with the band's approach. "A New Season" seems to be an idea that didn't quite cohere, and is the album's "weak link." "Hotel Womb" ends the album on an appropriate (if somewhat melancholy) note. All the requisite elements are here, though assembled in a slightly different way. Indeed, it provides an almost perfect transition from this album to the next: it could just as appropriately have served as the opening song on "Gold Afternoon Fix."

Send comments to maani (BETA) | Report this review (#9) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, January 30, 2004

Review by hdfisch
2 stars Edited 10/4/2005!

The songs presented on this album here are all very nice and a nice listen, in fact one of them even became something like a "airplay hit" and probably more songs on this album would have the (doubtful) "quality" for this because most of them are quite radio-friendly I have to say. Obviously here no keyboards at all have been involved and the music is dominated by jangling guitars and could be compared with other Indie rock bands from that time like The Verve, Echo & the Bunnymen, The Smiths.The album is a nice Indie pop rock one and for that reason I can't give it more than 2 stars,

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#10) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, January 30, 2005

Review by Chris S
3 stars Easy listening category but at the same time this Australian outfit were/are a cut above a lot of other bands in the same category. Starfish makes for a great listen and has jewels embedded throughout the album. That does mean that it is all not brilliant so yes, it does submit to mediocrity at times.

' Under The Milky Way ' is undoubtedly the star on this album. Other great tracks include ' Spark' and ' Reptile'. Steve Kilbey does his business in the vocal department adding the stalwart bass lines. Is this progressive music? Certainly not but well worth an argument on inclusion on this site. I for one welcome them and their contribution to prog related sounds. No worries Australia! A good album at best but I am sure there are many die hards who would rate this higher. A good comparison would be Lloyd Cole and the Commotions from the UK for the characteristic sound and voice.

Send comments to Chris S (BETA) | Report this review (#113359) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, February 24, 2007

Review by fuxi
3 stars In case you don't know the Church, STARFISH is a delightful album of dreamy, melancholic and nocturnal pop-rock, strongly influenced by early 1980s bands like Echo and the Bunnymen, Aztec Camera and the Sound, but sounding considerably less anguished. If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong!) the Church owe a lot to that ideal combination of acoustic-guitar-twinned-with-Rickenbacker. The second tune on this album, 'Under the Milky Way', is one of my favourite (belated) new-wave tracks, and I was very happy when it finally got its due on the original soundtrack of the film DONNIE DARKO, since it was featured in that film's party sequence, if I remember correctly. (Unfortunately, in the revised Director's Cut, which many of you may get to see when you buy the DVD, the song's impact was much reduced: you only hear a snippet of it on the car radio, when Donnie and his Dad go for a ride.) What any of this has to do with prog rock I couldn't tell you. Perhaps there's a certain Syd Barrett influence... Much recommended, in any case!

Send comments to fuxi (BETA) | Report this review (#156542) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, December 25, 2007

4 stars This is a very special album for me. People have said they feel sorry for me that when I started to really get into music it was 1980, and we all know how bad the eighties were for music. I did feel that way around 1987, it was such a bleak time music wise for me, but not the first half of the decade. I was listening to "Heaven And Hell" by BLACK SABBATH, "Permanent Waves' by RUSH, "Piece Of Mind" by IRON MAIDEN along with AC/DC and the classics like FLOYD and ZEP and many other "Hard Rock" bands of that time. I remember "New Wave" music being all over the radio, I actually liked some of it, it was fun and that's what life was all about for me back then. I never bought any albums by these bands though because I figured there would be one or two good songs and the rest would be awful. I was concerned about that when I bought this cd ("Starfish") recently but how wrong I was.

This is very much a guitar album with those duo guitars offering up these melodies that jangle and echo. Lots of atmosphere and space here. Then we get Kilby's reserved vocals singing these great lyrics. It was the song "Under The Milky Way" that caused me to buy this record in the first place, it just brings back such great memories of the early eighties, and even though it was released much later (1988) it has that "sound" from what was on the radio back then.1980 was such a great year for me, the Trans Am I had bought the year before was done (jacked up, wide rear tires, Crager rims, upgraded stereo) and I just started going out with the most beautiful girl I had ever seen in June of that year.That reminds me of the title of that OCEANSIZE song "Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs", I couldn't believe that she would go out with me. Anyway back then it was all about this green eyed blonde, drugs, music and my car with the Hurst 4 speed shifter. Had to get that in (haha). We would just drive the beaches back then listening to tunes. Anyway the music here by these Australians is very much what i'd call beach music. Just everything about it makes me yearn for those days even though I wouldn't trade my family for any of it. It's hard to explain really.

"Destination" has such a dreamy and lush sound to it, very much a feel good song for me. A top three track too. As is of course "Under The Milky Way". Water just rises to my eyes just about everytime I hear this. Some things can't be explained but when I hear this i'm back in 1980 in my spirit. Just a gorgeous track with that strummed guitar and those almost spoken vocals. "Blood Money" has a great mood to it. It kicks in before 1 1/2 minutes. Love the guitar after 2 minutes. "Lost" just trips along with these incredible lyrics. Great tune. "North, South, East And West" has this really good sounding guitar to open that jangles and echoes. Another favourite for me. "Spark" is the most uptempo and energetic of the lot. "Antenna" opens with more amazing guitar that seems to fill the air. Some mandolin too 2 minutes in. "Reptile" is the other top three. I just can't get enough of these guitar sounds. Beautiful track. "A New Season" is another feel good song. The vocals and guitars seem to blend together to create a haze of pleasure. "Hotel Womb" has a Post-Rock vibe to it. Check out the guitar after 3 1/2 minutes and the drums are very prominant here.

This was like a trip down memory lane even though I never took This trip before. I'm sure this all makes perfect sense.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#232977) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 20, 2009

Review by ZowieZiggy
3 stars This sixth album from "The Church" is all about melancholic rock. The band seems to have taken some distance with their new wave oriented sound and released a straight forward good rock album. Still, "Spark" or "Reptile" do sound as most of their previous works.

Lots of guitars, even acoustic moments like during "Under The Milky Way" do provide a fine musical moment. I far much prefer this album than their last three efforts. This one offers a more mature work (maybe that the long three years break was necessary to reach this).

I also agree with the comparison, with the great "Echo & The Bunnymen". Same melancholic and detached approach. I quite like this actually. The Bunnymen were definitely one of the best band of the eighties.

I also have to mention that the prog relation is rather thin on this album; but we are still in front of a good rock album. And when music is good, it is all that matters I guess.

One of my fave is the dynamic and solid "North, South, East And West". The filiation with The Bunnymen has never been so close. Soaring guitars, peaceful and deep vocals. Quite enjoyable for sure.

The only negative point about this album could be that it should have been more varied. After the first half, one gets too much of the same (cf. "Antenna"). In all, this is quite a decent album which I rate with three stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#239114) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, September 13, 2009

4 stars I'm a sucker for a well crafted tune and thats what you get with The Church's release of Starish. With their almost Byrds like jangly guitar sound of Piper and Koppes, as well as a very atmospheric laid back approach, at first I found it difficult to see them as an Art Rock Prog band. However ... (read more)

Report this review (#125345) | Posted by madgo2 | Sunday, June 10, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The Church have released a multitude of albums since 1981, but one stands out for it's compositions and 2 radio-friendly hits: Starfish. Aside from a kind of cool album name, The Church had the insanely catchy "Reptile" with the delayed picking at the beginning of the song that makes it instantl ... (read more)

Report this review (#58067) | Posted by | Saturday, November 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "Starfish" was the lonely commercial adventure for The Church. For a band of an underground nature like this one, this could have been something dangerous. Fortunately they managed to come up with something playable on the radio and reliable to fans taste at the same time. However, alth ... (read more)

Report this review (#52724) | Posted by shyman | Saturday, October 22, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE CHURCH "Starfish"