Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

There are no 1-star albums, are there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 11:43
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

As always these are highly personal opinions and this is one that came with PA recommendations, but this is clearly the worst "album" I have ever heard.

I'll make sure to check this one out.
Apparently it is the perfect Halloween album, so if you are looking for something to do next Saturday night, turn off the lights put on your headphones and enjoy....  Dead
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:03
hmm.. I have more than I thought - 26 out of 1280/  They are a combination of unnecessary, poor, obnoxious, and, perhaps most importantly, should have been better if they had remembered that quality matters.  ie - a few of them are by favorite groups of mine.  Some of my reviews of these are better than others, and maybe the odd one could get bumped up to 2 stars but hey life is short

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:07
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I have rated 4 albums with 1 star. 
I will also change my Yes - Open Your Eyes rating from 2 stars, to 1 star. 

Which ones, Cristi?

Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Yes - Open Your Eyes
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece
Nightwish Human || Nature

Queensryche have a couple of albums deserve even less. EmbarrassedLOL

I don't think The Missing Piece is a bad album tbh, agree on Queensryche though
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:08

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Try Torman Maxt (an old joke),

I'm sure there are many albums at PA that I could rate one based on my tastes, but it's unlikely that I would manage to listen all the way through.  I'm not much of a masochist. There are lots that I could have given two to.  I have only liked to rate my favourites, so it will be skewed very high.   It's so subjective. To me 5 stars = "Yowza! I really love that!"   I've given three stars to albums that I love.  I actually have heard some that would be one worthy per my tastes when evaluating acts, but had they been included, I wouldn't have had the heart to rate them (wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of those mostly DIY type artists involved).  And I wouldn't like to rate/review music of a style that I'm not into/ very familiar with -- I'd rather compare ilk to ilk.

I don't want to start another new topic today, so which artists/types of artists do you consider DIY? And what do you actually mean by that? Big smile

I wouldn't wish to mention any poor names, and most I forgot since I haven't done such evaluations or much Suggest New Bands/ Unsigned Bands forum checking in a very long time, but these were mostly very amateur do-it-yourself solo "artists" (though calling them artists is a stretch) that ultimately put together the music on their shoddy computers badly (poor mixing for instance) even if they poorly recorded themselves poorly playing an instrument and/or poorly singing their poor compositions (more like decompositions) .   I have heard some not competent stuff, and I do believe that I can say that objectively.  Heck, I'm quite good at making incompetent music (might record and share at some time).

By the way, one of my favourite albums (not in PA) is famed for its incompetence/ badness, and I love it.  I'm talking about The Shagg's Philosophy of the World from 1969 (at least that was produced pretty well).

If that ever were included in PA for some reason (say on April 1st), I'd wonder how to honestly rate it.  I love it, but recognise that it is hardly the work of virtuosos.  Maybe I'd give it a three even though I like it more than that.  "Bad" albums and "bad" films can be so bad that they are so very good.  It's the mediocre ones that can be the worst in the way for being so ordinarily dull, I find.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:10
I think I gave one star to the two 90s Styx albums but.... I don't think anyone is gonna lose sleep over that one. I don't usually go out of my way to rate albums I absolutely despise, though I've written a handful of 2 star reviews.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:16
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

I have rated 4 albums with 1 star. 
I will also change my Yes - Open Your Eyes rating from 2 stars, to 1 star. 

Which ones, Cristi?

Dream Theater - The Astonishing
Yes - Open Your Eyes
Iron Maiden - Virtual XI
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece

Queensryche have a couple of albums deserve even less. EmbarrassedLOL

I don't think The Missing Piece is a bad album tbh, agree on Queensryche though

I know many people like The Missing Piece.

Which Queensryche do you have in mind? For me it's Dedicated to Chaos and their cover album Take Cover. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:20
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

hmm.. I have more than I thought - 26 out of 1280/  They are a combination of unnecessary, poor, obnoxious, and, perhaps most importantly, should have been better if they had remembered that quality matters.  ie - a few of them are by favorite groups of mine.  Some of my reviews of these are better than others, and maybe the odd one could get bumped up to 2 stars but hey life is short

I like the Quatermass album very much and enjoy that Shylock album considerably,  Different strokes for different folks.  I don't like that Tool album (not that I heard the whole thing), but I recognised a certain quality to it and I am confident that I would rate it higher if I heard it in full -- it is not an album I would try to rate or review as it's not a style that I am into enough to feel like I could be fair to it, nor would I want to give it the sufficient spins where I would feel comfortable rating/reviewing it.  I would want to compare it against similar albums and wouldn't like to rate ones that I feel are too outside my comfort zone for me to be able to fairly evaluate, let alone put myself through the listening experience -- though If I did I might find more to appreciate.
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:20
Probably I have heard those that deserve 1 star, but I would not chastise an album before trying it several times, and torturing myself with albums I completely dislike is not in my interests. So no 1-stars in my 136 ratings.
I have given several two stars after 1 listen, though. Feel a bit guilty for that.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:22
DYI artists usually are identified by their digital sounding recordings done at home, by recording, mixing and mastering done totally with PC, as opposed to using actual digital recording equipment such as a Studer 72 track recording deck with designating mixing consoles,etc.

Edited by SteveG - October 25 2020 at 12:24
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:23
I've only given 1 star ratings to 2 albums -
1) The Beatles Live at The Star Club Hamburg. Even though I'm a massive Beatles fan this really is for completionists only. It is of historical value, of poor sonic quality and not something you'd really want to listen to more than once or twice.
2) ELP Reworks - not really an ELP album, it's a sort of trance remix album featuring multiple remixes of Fanfare For The Common Man.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:25
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

As always these are highly personal opinions and this is one that came with PA recommendations, but this is clearly the worst "album" I have ever heard.

You were smokin' the wrong bud brother! This music is strictly for the couch lock bunch.  I mean...how else could you sit through it for 74 min. ? LOL
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:26
Logan, the Tool album is one that I probably wouldn't review today as I don't think it's at all in my wheelhouse.   But most of the 1 star reviews I did are albums in a style in which I like other albums but just don't like those.  Shylock and, to a lesser degree, Qatermass, would fall in that group.  As I said, a few are bands I like a lot, like Amazing Blondel, Mike Oldfield, Eloy, Flaming Bess, Renaissance, Jade Warrior and Novalis, so there are 4 star and sometimes 5 star albums by those groups that contrast with the 1 star.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:27
Am I the only person here who doesn't like the idea of numeric (star) ratings? I personally don't give a s*** if someone's given an album 1 or 2 stars. What matters for me, is what's in the review. Vote-only votes are worthless IMO.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:27
I believe that it's ludicrous to give one star to a remarkably well liked album. The reviewer should take an honest look at his own tastes if he or she is giving that album only one star.

Edited by SteveG - October 25 2020 at 12:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:29

ouch!  what is that album guilty of besides thinking that their audience wanted to listen to a symphony
Or are you not a Nightwish fan to begin with?  I quite like their last 5 albums or so
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:30
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Am I the only person here who doesn't like the idea of numeric (star) ratings? I personally don't give a s*** if someone's given an album 1 or 2 stars. What matters for me, is what's in the review. Vote-only votes are worthless IMO.

absolutely..it's the review after all.  Even a 1 star review might elicit interest from somebody if it points out "flaws" that the reader might regard as strengths.  A rating conveys nothing of substance by definition
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:32

How about grades of A,B,C and D? ;)
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:34
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

OMG...I have never heard such a thing ! I think I made it to 0:55 before stopping it. They should be using this in Gitmo !
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:35
Some people have convinced themselves that that album is good ^Ermm 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2020 at 12:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

How about grades of A,B,C and D? ;)
Ah, but a lot of stars is an attention getter.
We humans love instant gratification.

Edited by SteveG - October 25 2020 at 12:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>