Jean-Luc Ponty - Cosmic Messenger CD (album) cover

COSMIC MESSENGER

Jean-Luc Ponty

BrufordFreak
5 stars I am fortunate to have seen J-LP a few times in concert in my lifetime--and this tour was the first of them. The concert's opening is forever etched in my mind as one of the most amazing concert memories of my life. Opening with the album's title song, Jean-Luc proceeds to strike such unearthly sounds--more like screams--from his electric violin that people on the floor were literally covering their ears, turning this way and that with panicked expressions on their faces, trying to figure out where this never-before-experienced sound was coming from. It was incredible. "Cosmic Messenger" (11/10) will always be my favorite Jean-Luc song because of this amazing concert reproduction. Other 5 star songs: "Don't Let the World Pass You By" (8/10), "I Only Feel Good With You" (9/10), "Ethereal Mood" (10/10), and "Egocentirc Molecules" (10/10)

P.S. Has anyone ever considered all of the guys Jean-Luc has stood toe-to-toe with? Stephane Grappelli, Frank Zappa, George Duke, John McLaughlin, Narada Michael Walden, Jan Hammer, Alan Holdsworth, Daryl Stuermer, Peter Maunu, Joaquin Lievano, Al DiMeola, Stanley Clarke, Ralphe Armstrong, Randy Jackson, Rayford Griffin, Monty Alexander, Patrice Rushen and many more. He must be quite respected on his instrument in order to attract this kind of company.

BrufordFreak | 5/5 |