MoeTar - From These Small Seeds CD (album) cover

FROM THESE SMALL SEEDS

MoeTar

genesinister
5 stars I thought I start writing reviews for albums that make a difference, and because I want to start with a bang, this album is for me without a doubt the best album since at least 2002's Remedy Lane.

For me an album can have a personal (I can relate to the lyrics), emotional (it brings me in some mood) and intellectual (it amazes me) impact. Only a few songs touch me personally, most of them written by Oliver Philipps of Everon, and this album does not contain such a song. It does however do an excellent job at the other two levels.

Most appealing features of MoeTar are the original compositions, lyrics, rhythmics, keyboard sounds and (female) vocals.

Opener Dichotomy is based on a beautiful and never boring bass rhythm, which works very well in combination with the keyboards and drums.

Infinitesimal Sky starts off with a simpler rhythm but has some interesting vocals and breaks.

Butchers of Baghdad is the first of three consecutive tracks containing acrobatic vocals. Here, often dubbed by guitar, sometimes by drums, while keyboards and bass do their own thing, they take you on a rollercoaster ride.

Random Tandem is a strange track, with strange sounds and strange lyrics, and it all works so well.

Ist or an Ism is probably the most difficult one, it contains all of the above, and of course "Know love and love will know you".

Morning Person seems to bring you back on earth, with something that sounds a bit like a standard song, with lyrics you can actually sing along, but then a distorted mixed keyboards/guitar solo follows.

New World Chaos apparently means soothing vocals on top of sometimes disturbing, sometimes majestic, sometimes peaceful music.

Screed sounds a bit over the top, and although I like the ending, it's the only track that does not really appeal to me.

Never Home begins like a standard song, nice and relaxing, with a jazzy feeling, but keyboards and guitar get increasingly chaotic.

From These Small Seeds contains all MoeTar trademarks I love, it is packed with different melodies and moods, yet it flows so naturally and beautifully.

Friction is its little sister, thus ending the album in full MoeTar style.

In summary this album is filled with compact treasures. No epics, instrumentals or long solos. Still, outstanding musicianship by all. This is as good as it gets.

genesinister | 5/5 |