Topic ClosedTop 20 Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 20 Albums
    Posted: March 18 2009 at 22:58
First off, I searched and didn't find anything like this.

Secondly, this needs a little preface to put this thread into context:

On facebook there is a note going around calling for people to post a list of their top 20 albums of all time based on the effect the album had on you in your musical journey. I'll provide the original facebook note to adequately get the point across:

"Think of 20 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world."

Now, I think that last sentence is a bit poorly phrased/punctuated (this is facebook we are talking about Wink), but it'll do in the long run I suppose. (I would perhaps change the last sentence to "These are the albums that changed the way you viewed music and, in some form, musically shaped your world", so keep that in mind as well if you'd like).

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see a PA version of this list. Being I'm placing this in the General music discussions prog and non-prog albums can be included. (If someone wants to do a strickly prog version, I encourage posting a similar topic in the top 10s and list section of the forum. Smile) Remember this list is meant for albums that are personally most significant to you either for musical development or emotional attachment or something like that (not neccesarily best albums based on enjoyment [though I'm sure the two lists would coincide significantly]).

Please provide some elaboration on why it made your list. Smile

I'll do this probably tomorrow when its not as late/early and I can think a bit clearer.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2009 at 08:32
This'll be timeconsuming, but I like the idea. I'll post when, and if ever finish something more than just a list. I think most of these will be obligatory:

20 Rothko Chapel
(Morton Feldman)
19 Generations Sans Futur (Art Zoyd)
18 Out To Lunch (Eric Dolphy)
17 Crossings (Herbie Hancock)
16 Rock Bottom (Robert Wyatt)
15 Kobaiä (Magma)
14 First Utterance (Comus)
13 Pawn Hearts (VdGG)
12 Kid A (Radiohead)
11 Shostacovich String Quartet no. 3, 7 & 8 (Borodin Quartet)
10 The Dreaming (Kate Bush)
  9 Ma Jeunesse Fout Le Camp (Francoise Hardy)
  8 Nursery Cryme (Genesis)
  7 Duck Stab/Buster & Glen (Residents)
  6 Computer World (Kraftwerk)
  5 Dirt (Alice in Chains)
  4 Ritual de la Habitual (Jane's Addiction)
  3 Master of Puppets (Metallica)
  2 The Wall (PF)
  1 Golden Hour of the Kinks (The Kinks)

I'd like to squeeze in my Schubert/ Shoenberg (Death and the Maiden/Verklarthe Nacht albumsplit), Can (Ege Bamyasi), Sonny Sharrock (Black Woman) Miles Davis (In A Silent Way), Ween (Pure Guava) and King Crimson (In The Court) and a couple more, somewhere too.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 22:34
Took me a bit longer than I thought, but here is something I'm pretty comfortable with:

1) King Crimson -Discipline - My first full blown prog album. Took awhile to fully register, but it planted the prog seed deep within the confines of my brain. Still love the album and KC.

2) Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All - My first taste of the Zappa universe. Showed me what rock music could be (and very rarely was). Sure, not as incendiary as some of his other works, but still, given what I was listening to at the time, this was truly in another world. 

3) VDGG - H To He, Who Am The Only One - Perhaps a rare album that straddles the line between musically impressive and emotionally significant. The first album that really connected me with VDGG and Mr. Hammill and nurtured the depressive side of my musical tastes, while still being a warm and fuzzy blanket to drape myself in when feeling low. 

4) VDGG - Godbluff - An album I will always associate with a special time in my life. For better or worse.

5) Cartoon - Sortie - The love of avant-rock begins. Perhaps the album that I use to measure avant-rockiness.

6) Nirvana - Nevermind - One of the first albums I owned that really stuck with me, so to speak, and probably the first that I really listened to many times over.

7) Bang On A Can - Cheating, Lying, Stealing - An album that has been with me a while in my musical journey. My first taste of the avant-garde (in a more pure form than anything else on this list). Haven't looked back yet. There is quite a bit I can credit this album with.

8) Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift You Skinny Fists, Like Antennas To Heaven - The post-rock journey begins. Sure, first time or two out it didn't click with me, and I still haven't grown to like the last track, but the first three tracks are probably THE reason I love post-rock. Can't say it didn't help my love of minimalism either.

9) Henry Cow - Unrest - No surprise HC made the list with something. Together with 70s crim, showed me the importance of improv. Also, secured my love of HC and pushed my interest further into the world of RIO/Avant.

10) Univers Zero - Ceux Du Dehors - Don't know if this was my first RIO album, but it was one of the first. Either way its getting credit here. Prog doesn't always mean symphonic anymore.

11) Cherry Poppin' Daddies - Zoot Suit Riot - One of those final "early albums" in my musical life that I used to listen to quite often and, for lack of a better word, study. Neo-swing in all its glory. Probably helped my love of jazz as well.

12) Porcupine Tree - Stupid Dream - The perfect album for spring (or fall). Don't know what it did to deserve this label, but can't let one of the above seasons go by without listening to it.

13) Frank Zappa - Weasels Ripped My Flesh - I love weirdness in music, and this was one of the big reasons for it. At this time in my musical voyage, I wasn't well versed in RIO/Avant prog, muisque concrete, noise-musics, or anything of the sort. This album became a cornerstone for my future musical tastes, and certainly pushed me farther away from any sort of "comfort zone".

14) Naked City - Naked City - The John Zorn album nominee. Definitely my first taste of the Zorn universe and pushed my tastes closer to the extremes.

15) Marillion - Script For A Jester's Tear - Probably my first foray into neo-prog, and an album that I can still relate to and listen to when I need something deliciously depressing. While neo-prog has fallen off the radar for me in these recent months, I still find (some of) it enjoyable and proof that good music doesn't have to be ridiculously complex or out there to be enjoyable and/or progressive.

16) Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante - Shortly after taking the plunge head first into progressive rock, I discovered this little gem. Needless to say, such a discovery in such an early stage had profound effects. This showed me, perhaps above everything else (or at least with more oomph than anything else) that music should have no bounds. 

17) Brand X - Moroccan Roll - In a way, this is a companion to Univers Zero. I don't know if this was my first jazz-rock/fusion album, but it was certainly one of the first. Again, I'll give it the credit for purposes of this list. Ever since, loved jazz-rock/fusion and jazz in general.

18) Agalloch - The Mantle - In a way, a companion to PT's album. THE album for winter. Cold, bleak, depressing, beautiful. Together with VDGG nourished by love of the melancholy.

19) The Moody Blues - The Best Of The Moody Blues - Generally, I'm one to avoid best of albums, but this one goes way back. Perhaps an introduction into more sophisticated material, perhaps started to steer me in a progressive direction (they are listed here after all). I used to listen to this one many times over as well. (In fact, I actually made a cassette copy from my dad's CD)

20) Gentle Giant - Interview - In a haze that was my early progressive experiences, this one stands out. Don't know if it was the quirkiness, the fun, the oddness, the quality, or all of the above, but certainly an album that molded the future path. 

Honorable mentions: Bill Bruford - One Of A Kind, Magma - Udu Wudu, Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians, System Of A Down - Toxicity, Vivaldi - The Four Seasons 

These aren't really in any specific order. Perhaps later I'll go back throught them to put them in a more coherent order, but for now...
moe_blunts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2009 at 23:06
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Ulver - Blood Inside
Waylon Jennings - Honky Tonk Heroes
Townes Van Zandt - The Late Great Townes Van Zandt
Primus - Frizzle Fry
Cardiacs - Sing to God
Tenhi - Maaaet
!T.O.O.H! - Rad a Trest
Devourment - Butcher the Weak
Gorguts -  From Wisdom to Hate
Rome - Masse Mensch Material
Raison D'etre - In Sadness, Silence and Solitude
Dun - Eros
Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Magma - Wurdah Itah
The Beatles - Help
Le Orme - Felona E Sorona
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora
A.C.T - Last Epic

I'm probably missing some..........
markosherrera View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2009 at 08:18
Hi progmaniacs of all the world
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2009 at 20:52
Bump.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2009 at 23:38
One more bump.
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2009 at 00:32
(THIS IS IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER)

1. Marillion - Misplaced Childhood

2. Jon Anderson - Song Of Seven

3. YES - Tormato

4. YES - Relayer

5. Jon Anderson - Olias Of Sunhillow

6. Death Cab For Cutie - PLANS

7. Death Cab For Cutie - TRANSATLANTICISM

8. Marillion - Season's End

9. Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail

10. Marillion - FUGAZI

11. Pink Floyd - THE WALL

12. YES - Magnification

13. Rage Against The Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles

14. John Wesley - The Closing Of The Pale Blue Eyes

15. Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity

16. Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

17. YES - DRAMA

18. Porcupine Tree - IN ABSENTIA

19. Marillion - This Strange Engine

20. Marillion - Clutching At Straws
Meddler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2009 at 01:37
1. Ampere - All Our Tomorrows End Today2. Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
3. Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas
4. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
5. Earth - HEX; Or Printing the Infernal Method
6. Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway
7. Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
8. Kidcrash - Jokes
9. Eisley - Room Noises
10. Aaron Ross - Shapeshifter
11. Slowdive - Souvlaki
12. The Pixies - Surfer Rosa
13. Gospel - The Moon is a Dead World
14. Smile From The Streets You Hold
15. Modern Life is War - Witness
16. At The Drive In - Acrobatic Tenement
17. dredg - El Cielo
18. J&MC - Psychocandy
19. Jeff Buckley - Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk
20. cLOUDDEAD - cLOUDDEAD

No order, I'm also leaving off albums already found here, mostly.
[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/amorfous/astro-1.jpg">

Post Reply Post Reply