PLANET X

Derek Sherinian

Derek Sherinian Planet X album cover

Buy DEREK SHERINIAN Music
Studio Album, released in 1999

1. Atlantis: Part 1-Apocalypse 1470 BC (6:59)
2. Part 2-Sea of Antiquity (4:18)
3. Part 3-Lost Island (5:38)
4. Crab Nebulae (4:07)
5. Box (5:05)
6. Money Shot (4:26)
7. Day In The Sun (4:58)
8. State Of Delirium (2:48)
9. Space Martini (3:47)
10. Brunei Babylon (5:39)

Search DEREK SHERINIAN Planet X lyrics

Search DEREK SHERINIAN Planet X tabs

- Derek Sherinian / keyboards
- Brett Garsed / guitar
- Tony Franklin / bass
- Virgil Donati / Drums

Magna Carta MA 9036

DEREK SHERINIAN MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy DEREK SHERINIAN Planet X Music

OceanaOceana
Mascot 2011 2011
derek sherinian - mythology JAPAN CD OBI H584 US $14.99 [0 bids]
Derek Sherinian - Inertia (2014) US $3.25 [0 bids]
V.A. Music In Progress 2 Prog-Metal w/Symphony X, Magellan, Derek Sherinian. US $9.95 [0 bids]
Black Country Communion - CD 2012 - Afterglow(Joe Bonamassa,Derek Sherinian) US $4.88 [5 bids]
DEREK SHERINIAN - BLOOD OF THE SNAKE [DEREK SHERINIAN] - NEW CD US $10.93 Buy It Now 1 day
Blood of the Snake by Derek Sherinian (CD, Jul-2006, SPV) US $12.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Derek Sherinian - Oceana [CD New] US $11.43 Buy It Now 1 day
DEREK SHERINIAN - BLOOD OF THE SNAKE + 1. JAPAN.OBI. YNGWIE MALMSTEEN US $5.99 [0 bids]
Derek Sherinian - Planet X (1999) CD QUALITY CHECKED & FAST FREE P&P US $9.56 Buy It Now 2 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - BLACK UTOPIA + 1. JAPAN.OBI. YNGWIE MALMSTEEN US $5.99 [0 bids]
Black Country Communion - CD 2012 - Afterglow(Joe Bonamassa,Derek Sherinian) US $11.34 Buy It Now 3 days
DEREK SHERINIAN Inertia CD PROG Dream Theater / Zakk Wylde / Steve Lukather NEW US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
DEREK SHERINIAN Black Utopia JAPAN CD DREAM THEATER YNGWIE MALMSTEEN ZAKK WYLDE US $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Oceana, Derek Sherinian, New US $12.50 Buy It Now 3 days
ALL TOO HUMAN - ENTROPY CD DEREK SHERINIAN. SHIP TO USA 8$ US $3.00 [0 bids]
Mythology [Digipak] by Derek Sherinian (CD, Nov-2004, Inside Out Music) US $18.50 Buy It Now 4 days
Derek Sherinian - Planet X SEALED CD 1999 DREAM THEATER US $9.72 Buy It Now 5 days
Oceana - Derek Sherinian New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $16.21 Buy It Now 5 days
Derek Sherinian - Inertia JAPAN CD (2001) +1 secret track promo Dream Theater US $14.99 Buy It Now 6 days
Derek Sherinian - Mythology (2004) CD QUALITY CHECKED & FAST FREE P&P US $11.34 Buy It Now 6 days
Derek Sherinian - Blood Of The Snake (2006) CD QUALITY CHECKED & FAST FREE P&P US $10.53 Buy It Now 6 days
Derek Sherinian - Black Utopia (2003) CD QUALITY CHECKED & FAST FREE P&P US $12.80 Buy It Now 6 days
Derek Sherinian - Inertia (2001) CD QUALITY CHECKED & FAST FREE P&P US $10.53 Buy It Now 6 days
Derek Sherinian - Black Utopia NEW CD US $11.34 Buy It Now 6 days
ELP tribute cd James Labrie, Derek Sherinian, Mike Portnoy, Marc Bonilla, more US $4.95 [0 bids]
Universe by Planet X TONY MACALPINE, DEREK SHERINIAN GREAT SHRED METAL US $41.62 Buy It Now 6 days
THRESHOLD Vic Lecar CRY HOLY Derek Sherinian ONWARD 91 Suite ZONATA Melodica CD US $4.99 [0 bids]
DEREK SHERINIAN - BLACK UTOPIA [693723656922] - NEW CD US $40.55 Buy It Now 7 days
Derek Sherinian - Mythology (2004) CD DIGIPAK US $9.72 Buy It Now 7 days
derek sherinian - blood .. snake dream theater promo cd US $24.99 Buy It Now 7 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - INERTIA [DEREK SHERINIAN] [826992511924] - NEW CD US $9.73 Buy It Now 7 days
DEREK SHERINIAN-OCEANA-JAPAN CD Fi75 US $43.50 Buy It Now 7 days
Derek Sherinian - Black Utopia (CD, 2003) Yngwie Malmsteen, Zakk Wylde US $24.99 Buy It Now 7 days
Derek Sherinian - Oceana (2011) CD QUALITY CHECKED & FAST FREE P&P US $17.84 Buy It Now 8 days
DEREK SHERINIAN**OCEANA**VINYL US $13.31 Buy It Now 8 days
DEREK SHERINIAN Japan 10 tracks CD with OBI, INERTIA US $25.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Pat Torpey Odd Man Out Japan CD Steve Lukather Billy Sheehan Derek Sherinian US $19.99 Buy It Now 9 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - INERTIA (727701202327) - NEW CD US $8.49 Buy It Now 9 days
ALL TOO HUMAN - ENTROPY CD DEREK SHERINIAN US $7.99 Buy It Now 9 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - OCEANA LP RARE Music Theories Recordings 2011 DREAM THEATER US $29.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Black Country Communion - 2 CD (2011) Joe Bonamassa,Glenn Hughes,Derek Sherinian US $12.90 Buy It Now 9 days
DEREK SHERINIAN**BLOOD OF THE SNAKE**CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 9 days
DEREK SHERINIAN**INERTIA**CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 9 days
Black Utopia by Derek Sherinian (CD, Feb-2014, UMD) US $10.07 Buy It Now 9 days
PLANET X - moonbabies -2002-indo tape- Dream Theater Derek Sherinian rush cab US $9.99 Buy It Now 9 days
(CD) DEREK SHERINIAN - Inertia / Armoury / ARM251192 / Zakk Wylde US $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
(CD) DEREK SHERINIAN - Blood Of The Snake / ARM251162 / Billy Idol / Slash US $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
(CD) DEREK SHERINIAN - Black Utopia / ARM251202 / Al Di Meola / Yngwie Malmsteen US $14.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Molecular Heinosity [Digipak] by Derek Sherinian (CD, Mar-2009, Out) US $49.99 Buy It Now 9 days
Derek Sherinian - Oceana CD US $15.18 Buy It Now 10 days
Mythology - Derek Sherinian New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.46 Buy It Now 10 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - "Blood Of the Snake" CD 2006 1st GERMAN PROMO ONLY + BIO ORIG US $23.88 Buy It Now 10 days
Explorers Club ?Age Of Impact Japan CD Steve Howe Terry Bozzio Derek Sherinian US $24.99 Buy It Now 10 days
Derek Sherinian - Black Utopia NEW CD US $9.17 Buy It Now 11 days
Platypus Ice Cycles (CD, Mar-2000, Inside Out Music) Derek Sherinian US $9.99 Buy It Now 11 days
Derek Sherinian Inertia Simon Phillips Steve Lukather Tony Franklin Zakk Wylde US $8.50 Buy It Now 11 days
Derek Sherinian Blood of the Snake Digipack CD US $11.90 Buy It Now 11 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - Molecular Heinosity CD + OBI US $10.99 Buy It Now 12 days
Derek Sherinian / Blood of the Snake JAPAN+1 Dream Theater PROMO NEW!!! US $34.99 Buy It Now 12 days
DEREK SHERINIAN cd BLOOD OF THE SNAKE zakk wylde dream theater free US ship US $12.20 Buy It Now 12 days
Derek Sherinian - Mythology (2014) US $12.11 Buy It Now 13 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - Inertia CD (2001 InsideOut) US $5.99 Buy It Now 13 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - BLOOD OF THE SNAKE (UK) NEW CD US $20.89 Buy It Now 13 days
DEREK SHERINIAN Inertia US CD Inside Out 2001 Dream Theater SEALED BRAND NEW !! US $24.90 Buy It Now 14 days
Derek Sherinian - Oceana (NEW CD) US $19.86 Buy It Now 14 days
Derek Sherinian - Oceana (NEW 12" VINYL LP) US $29.20 Buy It Now 14 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - MYTHOLOGY (826992512129) - NEW CD US $10.92 Buy It Now 14 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - BLACK UTOPIA (826992512020) - NEW CD US $10.04 Buy It Now 14 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - MOLECULAR HEINOSITY (826992512228) - NEW CD US $10.93 Buy It Now 14 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - OCEANA [DEREK SHERINIAN] [020286166481] - NEW CD US $8.46 Buy It Now 15 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - INERTIA - ARMCD558 US $11.94 Buy It Now 15 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - BLOOD OF THE SNAKE - ARMCD557 US $11.94 Buy It Now 15 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - MOLECULAR HEINOSITY - ARMCD561 US $11.85 Buy It Now 15 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - MYTHOLOGY - ARMCD560 US $11.94 Buy It Now 15 days
DEREK SHERINIAN/PORT - LIVE IN TOKYO [DEREK SHERINIAN/PORTNOY - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.48 Buy It Now 15 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - OCEANA [DEREK SHERINIAN] [8712725734826] - NEW CD US $17.81 Buy It Now 16 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - MOLECULAR HEINOSITY [DEREK SHERINIAN] - NEW CD US $20.94 Buy It Now 16 days
Derek Sherinian Black Utopia CD US $11.34 Buy It Now 17 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - OCEANA NEW CD US $17.92 Buy It Now 17 days
DEREK SHERINIAN: Mythology CD NM ALLAN HOLDSWORTH STEVE LUKATHER ZAKK WILDE US $14.99 Buy It Now 17 days
DEREK SHERINIAN "Planet X" CD 1999 Magna Carta Records RARE 10 Great Songs US $12.98 Buy It Now 18 days
DEREK SHERINIAN**MOLECULAR HEINOSITY**CD US $10.95 Buy It Now 18 days
Derek Sherinian : Inertia CD (2001) US $10.52 Buy It Now 18 days
DEREK SHERINIAN OCEANA LP VINYL RECORD NEW US $34.99 Buy It Now 18 days
DEREK SHERINIAN BLOOD OF THE SNAKE SEALED CD NEW US $5.26 Buy It Now 19 days
Derek Sherinian - Oceana [Vinyl New] US $16.29 Buy It Now 19 days
Black Utopia - Derek Sherinian New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shipping US $19.46 Buy It Now 19 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - OCEANA NEW VINYL US $21.87 Buy It Now 19 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - MAGAZINE CUTTINGS COLLECTION (REF S2) US $11.28 Buy It Now 19 days
DEREK SHERINIAN - PLANET X [DEREK SHERINIAN] - NEW CD US $30.04 Buy It Now 19 days
Julia Kosterova-Springs of Time (feat. Derek Sherinian) CD NEW US $17.13 Buy It Now 19 days
Black Utopia, Derek Sherinian, Good Import US $7.64 Buy It Now 20 days
Derek Sherinian - Molecular Heinosity NEW CD US $9.17 Buy It Now 20 days
Derek Sherinian - Inertia NEW CD US $9.17 Buy It Now 20 days
Derek Sherinian - Mythology NEW CD US $9.17 Buy It Now 20 days
Derek Sherinian - Blood Of The Snake NEW CD US $9.17 Buy It Now 20 days
Derek Sherinian - Molecular Heinosity CD US $24.13 Buy It Now 21 days
Derek Sherinian - Blood Of The Snake - CD (SPV40872 Inside Out 2006 Germany) US $13.56 Buy It Now 21 days
Derek Sherinian - Oceana Vinyl Record LP US $19.40 Buy It Now 21 days
Live in Tokyo by Derek Sherinian/Portnoy Sheehan MacAlpine Sherinian/Tony... US $16.11 Buy It Now 21 days

More places to buy DEREK SHERINIAN music online Buy DEREK SHERINIAN & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for DEREK SHERINIAN DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

DEREK SHERINIAN Planet X ratings distribution

DEREK SHERINIAN Planet X reviews

Review by lucas
5 stars This album blends fusion with metal prog. Virgil Donati wrote most of the tunes and proved here that he is a gifted drummer. This is highly recommended to Dream Theater fans, but also to fans of fusion groups such as Bruford and Brand X.

Send comments to lucas (BETA) | Report this review (#17326) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, November 02, 2003

Review by snobb
2 stars Here we have an album with only one short expert/collaborator review and plenty of 5-star reviews from fans. What is the matter?

Let's check. This is the debut album of Derek Sherinian, one time keyboard player of Alice Cooper and ex-member of Dream Theater. And this album is placed under the "jazz- rock/fusion" label. So - do you think it's a new Chick Corea with Neo-Elektric Band?No way! Even far from Herbie Hancock!

In fact we have here quite interesting experiment using some jazz/fusion elements in instrumental prog-metal.And I think it's a strongest point of that album. All other things aren't so attractive.

Keyboardist is fast. Guitar player knows all most important heavy metal guitar solos. Drummer are very fast in moments and always very pompastic ( in bad ELP's Palmer style). Compositions are heavy and long ( in fact-looks long when you are listening). If first or second song still can attract your attention, other songs sound just as continued first or second.

The common music is strange as for keyboardist solo effort. Main instruments here are thunder-heavy drums and average soloing metal guitar. Ok, I forgot some synth-sound in the beginning of one of the songs.

All in all the album sounds as average album of average guitar hero. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not a big fan of Dream Theater, but even they sound better!

And for sure it is very big question if this is jazz-rock or fusion! More correct name of the music played is "instrumental progresive metal with experimental elements".

If you're not Beavis or Butthead, don't think you will love it much.

Send comments to snobb (BETA) | Report this review (#243208) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Review by Rune2000
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Let's dive into some Progressive Metal territory but this time with a twist of Jazz Rock/Fusion!

After replacing Kevin Moore in Dream Theater and playing with them between 1994-1999, Derek Sherinian didn't waste much time and once he left the band it took him only six month to release his debut album. Derek collaborated on this project with Virgil Donati and the duo would later go on to record many more albums under the moniker Planet X.

This debut solo-album had originally received exceptionally high praise here on Prog Archives which is also the reason why it caught my attention back in 2007. Fortunately snobb finally adjusted this minor arbitrage with his review a couple of month back and although I do consider most of his points completely valid I still can't go as far as calling it a collectors/fans only release. But why has it taken me so long to formulate my opinion about this album? In order to find out you will have read on through another one of my rambling reviews!

The main issue for me on has to do with classification of material and how to appreciate it from a reviewer's point of view. Originally I began this by trying to understand what it is I actually like and dislike about these compositions but this approach has so far not given me any distinguishing qualities which would apply to the majority of these compositions. The first real concern I had was related to the excessive soloing and jam sessions that many of these compositions rely so heavily on, although one may also argue that it comes with the territory of writing Jazz-sounding Metal. Besides, since most of these tracks feature it this still doesn't really explain why I prefer one composition over the other. Take for instance the opening number, Atlantis: Part 1-Apocalypse 1470 BC, that features a very memorable chord progression but other than that it sounds almost like everything else that this material has to offer.

Another thing I tend to dislike is when the performance goes into the groove-oriented progression because it always ends up sounding forced and out of place with the rest of the music. Instead it's that direct Metal-sounding approach which always wins me over and it's a pity that the music here has so few of these instances. The only really unnecessary performance on the entire album comes towards the end with a composition titled Day In The Sun. This is just useless jamming just for the sake of it, still I'm sure that there are enough people who might appreciate that as well.

Now that I've mentioned most of my concerns I'm sure that the answer to my originally proposed question have become slightly more clearer. If you think that most of my criticism was unjust then I'm very happy for you since it might imply that you will enjoy this album even more than me! As it stands today Planet X is a good, but non-essential from Sherinian/Donati who have managed to significantly improve their songwriting on the later Planet X-releases.

***** star songs: Atlantis: Part 1-Apocalypse 1470 BC (6:59)

**** star songs: Atlantis: Part 2-Sea Of Antiquity (4:19) Atlantis: Part 3-Lost Island (5:39) Box (5:06) Money Shot (4:26) Space Martini (3:47)

*** star songs: Crab Nebulae (4:07) Day In The Sun (4:58) State Of Delirium (2:48) Brunei Babylon (5:40)

Send comments to Rune2000 (BETA) | Report this review (#274966) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 28, 2010

Review by progrules
3 stars Over a decade ago I bought this album because I was (and still am) a huge DT-fan and since Mr. Sherinian had only just left that band at the point of the release of Planet X I almost felt obliged to go for this one. I thought I couldn't get disappointed because I absolutely loved Sherinian's contribution on DT's Falling into Infinity. But where I went wrong in my contemplation is that Derek of course was never the songwriter of DT so assuming that this album was automatically a bull's eye was not correct.

Does this mean we are dealing with a poor effort here ? Not really, it's merely different than poor. I mean, this album Planet X is actually a sort of prelude for the later "band" Planet X which means the style on this release is going towards fusion. I recently reviewed Quantum by that band but I have to conclude that Sherinian's style has improved in the 8 years that lie between both albums. Compared to Quantum this debut sounds a bit sloppy and even though most songs are ok and have their moments at least I still feel the overall quality is way less than on Quantum.

I wouldn't want to call this a disappointment but it's certainly no masterpiece. Personally I have my doubts between 3 and 4 stars and since I just stated that Quantum is a lot better and gave that one 4 stars, I feel I have to round down here. Let's say almost 3,5 for this but certainly no excellent addition to any prog rock collection. So 3.

Send comments to progrules (BETA) | Report this review (#392406) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Review by Starhammer
4 stars Post-op Sherinigans...

The first collaboration between Derek Sherinian and Virgil Donati which then went on to form the instrumental supergroup of the same name.

The Good: Sherinian is both a fantastic keyboardist and composer and whilst this debut solo release still contains his signature sound, it is certainly not just a rehash of his earlier work with Dream Theater. It could be classified as progressive metal, but for me it is a much more fusion-orientated recording with noticeable heavier elements. Donati's drumming also provides a perfect blend of furious rhythms and interesting grooves. Whilst I am a huge fan of fully instrumental albums, the lack of binding vocal sections means that character and atmosphere are just as important as technicality and intricacy in order to hold the listeners attention. Luckily Planet X has this in buckets and remains my favourite in what is now a long list of releases and collaborations.

The Bad: The production isn't as polished as his later works.

The Verdict: Synthsational.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#461423) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 14, 2011

5 stars One of the best fusion albums ever made, period. Derek Sherinian invented this unique metal/fusion style, in 1999 there was nothing sounding like this nowere in the world, you may probably be shaking your heards and thinking hm...what about Liquid Tension Experiment?, well, the amount of creat ... (read more)

Report this review (#178020) | Posted by Moonshield | Thursday, July 24, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Oh my, this album rocked me. I own all the Sherinian album, and this is pretty much the best one! Its got everything mixed in to it. The songs Atlantis, Box, Money Shot, basically everything but Brunei Babylon, and Crab Nebula are definately the high points. Sherinian did an amazing job after he ... (read more)

Report this review (#93881) | Posted by willy mountains | Monday, October 09, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The first solo album by ex-Dream Theater Derek Sherinian is by far his best one. And I´m not talking only about the incredible musicianship of the four musicians involved (DS on keyboards, Virgil Donati on drums, Brett Garsed on guitar and Tony Franklin on bass), but also about the composition ... (read more)

Report this review (#86139) | Posted by Jordi Planas | Tuesday, August 08, 2006 | Review Permanlink

5 stars this work is probably the best of derek sherinian (with Planet x band: universe & moonbabies). planet x is full of variety scales....in a moment ; minor...in other; pentatonic..and other..the speciality of derek; the crhomatic scales! any song is a perfect and unique composition...the album i ... (read more)

Report this review (#83324) | Posted by Masquerade | Monday, July 10, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I met Derek Sheriniam as a member of DREAM THEATER, and I'm sure, just like many other people. So, I wanted to find out what this sounds like. The first impression was pretty good. The beginning with Atlantis is quite easy to enjoy. The sound is very different from DREAM THEATER's, although the ... (read more)

Report this review (#60944) | Posted by Proglodita | Tuesday, December 20, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Ok this album is full of surprises, Derek is just amazingly briliant in how he can capture you in a state of woundering how these amazing songs came to be. When you hear the track entitled "Brunei Babylon" it will have an affect on your life, an affect that will make you appreciate real music ... (read more)

Report this review (#55129) | Posted by | Monday, November 07, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I think it's the best Derek Sherinian album. It's not only the composition that makes it so good, the way the instruments sound is almost perfect. There are no "waste" songs: All the tracks have have their "charm". Don't think it again. If you like Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, Fates Warnin ... (read more)

Report this review (#17328) | Posted by | Thursday, May 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Every prog fan should listen to this faboulous piece of music history!! Sherinian is incredible and Donati too, in this album it's clearly that this music couple it's destined to remain to annals.Atlantis suite is an example of Sherinians' reminiscents in 5 years of Dream Theater with most ext ... (read more)

Report this review (#17327) | Posted by fred84 | Saturday, April 09, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of DEREK SHERINIAN "Planet X"