Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 16:22
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

What about the ones that you haven't reviewed yet ACR? Are you going to review every single album or use other peoples' reviews for those albums? 

I haven't decided yet but others reviews are welcome if they give permission. 

I have many albums on vinyl but I am going to have to go through those slowly as I rarely play vinyl. Others will have to be reviews by some here who allow me.... Already was able to use two at least. 

Can anyone at all volunteer some reviews? That would help as gaps are appearing now.

Anyway thats all for a while while I catch up on other albums... really learning a lot about these early 70s and its all good so far!Cool 

Hey Scott, you're certainly welcome to any of mine - but I have more at JMA than here, so I may not be all that useful. If you do happen to see something you want to use, just let me know and I'll try and adjust it for the 1001.

Hey can I use your review for Roy Harper's "Stormcock" please? and also from Jazz archives the Herbie Hancock Head Hunters review!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 15 2012 at 17:47
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 19:59
^ For sure, Big smile did you want them to read a little different, in regards to tone or discussion?
Or if you're happy with em as is, feel free to paste away!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 02:42

^ For sure, Big smile did you want them to read a little different, in regards to tone or discussion?

I have read a few from others and yours and I think just leave them as they are. i will paste them in and they can be reviewed at a later stage. The main thing is the albums will be done.

So far I have the following reviewers who have given permission to use their reviews:

zombywoof
dreadpirateroberts
Conor Fynes
Finnforest
Mellotron Storm

believe it or not there are only a few gaps now with those reviews on handBig smile

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 16 2012 at 02:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 04:24
Added following in 1974

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 04:50
^ I would have put L'isola di niente rather than The World Became The World but perhaps you can combine the two as one entry. Harder to do with Photos Of Ghosts as that is an Anglicised amalgum of Per Un Amico and Storia Di Un Minuto
What?
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 04:59

I have read a few from others and yours and I think just leave them as they are. i will paste them in and they can be reviewed at a later stage. The main thing is the albums will be done.

So far I have the following reviewers who have given permission to use their reviews:

zombywoof
dreadpirateroberts
Conor Fynes
Finnforest
Mellotron Storm

believe it or not there are only a few gaps now with those reviews on handBig smile

Cool, I'll keep watching then, let me know if you need any others or want me to touch something up later on. Nice work - you've got some fine reviewers on board there!
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 07:14
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ I would have put L'isola di niente rather than The World Became The World but perhaps you can combine the two as one entry. Harder to do with Photos Of Ghosts as that is an Anglicised amalgum of Per Un Amico and Storia Di Un Minuto

yeah i was really torn between them, having only heard parts of both, but putting them on one listing will work well - thanks for the idea!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 07:16
Added many reviews from Finnforest, Mellotron Storm and Conor too! Very different styles but it adds a great deal of variety... 

Edit: also SouthSideoftheSky and Warthur reviews are added. What a team!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 18 2012 at 22:18
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 03:20
Pics of working on this task:

Reviewing another CD....

Prog can be serious business...

its not all that serious

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 04:34
Hows everyone going?

Reading up on prog here.... fun 

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 06:58
What, you don't have a Pink Floyd hat to round out the ensemble? Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 16:35
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

What, you don't have a Pink Floyd hat to round out the ensemble? Tongue

I must admit I didn't think of that - wish I did have a hat to have with my cup of Pink Floyd..
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 06:43

Finished adding reviews up too 1974 - mammoth undertaking but its done!

I need reviews to use for:

St. Radigunds
Spirogyra

And another

AR and Machines IV

And even one more

Tarkus - ELP

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 18 2012 at 22:17
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 20:33

Pics of working on this task:

Reviewing another CD....

Prog can be serious business...

its not all that serious

Hey i got an "Animals" PINK FLOYD mug for Christmas. Your looking very proggy ScottCool.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 20:37
1001 albums you must hear before you die?  This one comes to mind.

In fact, it's the only 1001 Prog album I can think of. Confused
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 20:52
Originally posted by SaltyJon SaltyJon wrote:

1001 albums you must hear before you die?  This one comes to mind.

In fact, it's the only 1001 Prog album I can think of. Confused

We could dig up some albums with a 1.001 rating.  Clown
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 20:53
We could do that, yeah.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 22:01
Ho Ho! And that Magma album is on the list anyhoo. Nice one anyway.

1001° Centigrades
Magma

Start your own thread with albums with 1 star ratings. Could be a lark's.... dumb... in absence.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 18 2012 at 22:04
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 17:20

Red
King Crimson

King Crimson Red album cover

“Red” is an excellent album that delivers on every level from the incredible musical virtuosity of the title track to the inspired mini epic length ‘Starless’ It is complex musical genius and lyrics that transcend the norm, lots of jazz fusion and weird drum patterns, and strange instruments mixed with guitars and drums. ‘Fallen Angel’ is beautiful and mystifying, ‘One More Red Nightmare’ is a catchy 7 minute little gem that is one of the best from the band, ‘Providence’ is lots of kanoodling with strange instruments that is highly intriguing music. Then there is the absolutely brilliant ‘Starless’ that is flawless, from end to end of its 12 minute length.

“Red” is essential Crimson with incredible guitar from Fripp, complemented by the intricate time signature patterns of Buford and Wetton. This lineup is about as good as it gets and many fans would state that it was these musicians that formulated the best material in the huge repertoire of the band. Many of these tracks found their way to the best of Crimson Cd collections available and for good reason.

As usual the booklet is excellent with lots of interesting info about the making of this album, the live shows and the songs. This is a masterpiece with the band consistenly delivering powerful prog on every track.

A review by Warthur:

Robert Fripp's decision to bring King Crimson to a close following this album (at least until it regenerated Doctor Who style into the avant-New Wave beast of the 1980s) was baffling at the time to those around him - not least remaining band members John Wetton and Bill Bruford. But I think with the more time passes, the more the decision looks like a stroke of genius. Fripp's predictions about the "dinosaurs" of rock music coming to a bad end turned out to be all too true when the punk revolution happened.

Sure, we might bemoan the lack of respect given to musicianship and technical accomplishment during the white heat of punk, but both of those important things crept back into rock afterwards, and the DIY ethos of the punks - which held that anyone could and should be able to put together a band - recalls Fripp's own belief that it would be "small, mobile, intelligent units" that survived after the fall of the dinosaurs. And it has to be said that Fripp chose precisely the moment to cash his chips, selling up just as the peak of prog's mainstream success was passing by. This decision saved King Crimson from the humiliating fate of many of their contemporaries in the late 1970s or early 1980s - not for them the commercial pandering of 90125-era Yes, or Invisible Touch-era Genesis, or Gentle Giant's last three albums. Fripp's decision saved the band from a situation in which they would have to choose between their musical integrity and commercial success; his subsequent revivals of King Crimson have come about because he had a sound that needed to come out under the KC name, not in response to crass commercial considerations.

Robert's predictions about the music industry as a whole took longer to come true, but the dawning of the Internet age and their shambolic response to it also appears to have proved Fripp right. The fact is that if you want to make experimental, cutting-edge, avant-garde progressive music, you're much better off following the mobile unit approach, and whilst Fripp might have arrived at these realisations through a somewhat cranky route, it's hard to deny that his predictions were right - and came years before anyone else saw it, with the possible exception of Peter Hammill (as seen on Nadir's Big Chance).

It was against this background that Red was produced - with Fripp undergoing this enormous personal change, having the unintended and beneficial side effect of Fripp exerting less control over the recording process which he had previously been inclined to. Not that he needed to; it's clear on here that his collaborators are as much in tune with what needs to be accomplished on the record as he is. A classic from beginning to end, from the furious instrumental Red to the hauntingly beautiful Starless (which others have pointed out is rather like a potted history of the band from 1969 to 1974 in its musical structure), Red more than any other album from the 1973-1974 lineup of King Crimson showcases a powerful vision of the future of music, one which in some respects we still haven't caught up to. In the Court of the Crimson King set the blueprint for most of the progressive rock scene, particularly the more symphonic end of it. Red, quite simply, is the peak of the form. There have been new albums since then that have added their own spin to the genre, but I can think of precious few that reach this level of accomplishment.

A review by Sean Trane:

Seeing Red, Robert??

This album is a posthumous album, since the group had disbanded on "god-knows-what" whim from the omnipotent master and guardian of the faith Fripp. An unusual album cover for a group that had placed a strong emphasis on album illustration (if you'll forget the Live albums and the previous SABB), maybe indicating that the album was dumped on the market as an afterthought. But if every afterthought was so thoughtful as Red, we'd never end a debate.

Red (the title track) is probably the most over-rated number from Crimson and the fact that the title track is the most often covered Crimson tunes only confirms this to me - it is one of the simplest one also. As the previous album line-up had been reduced from a quintet to a quartet, David Cross also had left reducing Crimson down to a trio, by this album, pushing Fripp to think about his "small mobile units" concept ramblings about his group.

As stated before Red is a very popular track both among fans and other groups, and although I loved it back then, I now have grown a bit tired of it since I heard it too many times. Providence is unfortunately similar to Moonchild in its free jazz noodlings but Moonchild at least had some evident structure in its start. Fallen Angel is excellent and one of my favourite of Crimson all tracks but the real treat here is the Crimson Finale that even Fripp thought would be the appropriate swansong for KC, Starless. This number brings you back to ITCOTCK with McDonald, to Lizard and Island with Collins and to Aspic with Cross. A fitting adieu and a masterful closing of the loop! Too bad the guys playing on it did not know (except for Fripp that is) that this would be the final track of KC for a while!!

That track closed every night at the only bar I ever really hung around as it was the only prog cafe to my knowledge and a fitting goodbye to every one of the buddies and the excellent night spend there. Patrick Joly, this review and Lark's Tongue review are dedicated to you!!! 

Mirage
Camel

Camel Mirage album cover

Every track on “Mirage” banged the gavel down to make a statement of prog like no other album. The main drawcard of this dynamic album is the epic multi-movement suite 'Lady Fantasy' that seems to turn up in a live form on many compilations. The studio version is as good as any live version mainly due to Latimer's vocals and scorching guitar solos. The melodies are compelling and the epic flows from section to section seamlessly, bookended by Latimer's main lead guitar motif. Ferguson's bass and Barden's shimmering keyboards throughout each track are accomplished musicianship.

'Earthrise' begins with howling wind effects and an ambience is created with keyboards and guitar. Then it launches into the main riff showcasing the keyboard talents of Bardens. The instrumental features some excellent drumming that compliments the piece and a very melodic refrain. The freakout section of fret melting guitar riffing and Barden's keys backed by relentless drumming is vintage Camel, never to be repeated on other tracks. The instrumental is reigned back in again with the main melody, but the fast paced drums from Ward are erratic and out of control.

'Supertwister' is yet another instrumental with a pretty melody, and there is an upbeat time sig that locks in with beautiful flute soloing. At the end there is the sound bite of a can of lager being ripped open and poured bubbling with froth.

Other quintessential Camel tracks include the fabulous 'Freefall' with its staccato stabs on organ and virtuoso guitar licks. 'Nimrodel/The Procession/ The White Rider' is a segue to the work they will cut on “Snow Goose” told in multiple sections and blends three songs into one in about 9 minutes. It is also a concert favourite and appears on most compilations of Camel.

'Lady Fantasy' is the mini epic that ends the album on a high note; a tri-part work of genius that never fails to be compelling and astounding. The enigmatic image on the cover has become part of the 70s imagery of great rock albums and indeed in the prog world.

Relayer
Yes

Yes Relayer album cover

Three of a Perfect Pair equals classic Yes Brilliance. "Relayer" is another Yes album with only 3 tracks, almost like a twin brother of "Close to the Edge" structurally, and while not quite up to the standard of that classic, this is a triumph on every level. Wakeman had flown the coop after being disillusioned by the motherlode of prog "Tales from Topographic Oceans" and was summarily replaced by new keyboard wizard, Patrick Moraz from Switzerland birth, who had come to the band's attention primarily through his involvement with Refugee. He left this trio to become unified with the Yes lineup in 1974. He had heard ‘Soundchaser’ and said he was blown away by it. Moraz's sole contribution to Yes is captured on "Relayer" and makes this a unique album with his inimitable style.

The first thing of note is the album cover that is itself a work of genius by the incomparable Roger Dean. The subtle discoloration is eye catching; the horses with medieval riders striding through the cavernous silent walls is eye candy for the 70s and one of the most iconic Yes images.

The music is fabulously grand and epic. Once the opening track, 'The Gates of Delirium' launched into full orbit, the magic begins. Anderson is terrific in high falsetto as usual but those massive keyboard passages are transfixing. The guitars of Howe are beautiful and Squire's basslines are divine. Alan White is a master on drums. Anderson croons a lovely song when the 'Soon' section begins, with violining by Howe and sustained keyboard pads. The serenity is created by stunning music. This epic is divided into structural sections but these sections are unidentified in the track listing, a first for Yes. This leaves interpretation wide open for the listener. The lyrics are uplifting and memorable; "Soon, oh soon the light, pass within and soothe this endless night.... the sun will lead us, our reason to be here." During this haunting section, it almost sounds like orchestrated violins or mellotron. This epic is certainly worthy of hall of fame status as one of the best side long epics.

'Sound Chaser' is a jazz fusion electric guitar showcase with huge drum patterns with Squires relentless bass, and twinkling electric piano. Perhaps the most wildly experimental on the album, the time signature on this is odd, enhanced by clear vocals with cryptic lyrics, "Faster moment spent spread tales of change within the sound, Counting form through rhythm electric freedom, Moves to counterbalance stars expound our conscience, All to know and see the look in your eyes. Passing time will reach as nature relays to set the scene, New encounters spark a true fruition, Guiding lines we touch them, our bodies balance out the waves, As we accelerate our days to the look in your eyes."Howe has a huge guitar solo on this sans other instrumentation, and this is like a concert experience where the guitarist comes out alone and plays his soul out on the stage. The keys begin to pad out interplanetary sounds. Howe then indulges in a classical guitar style, violining the sound with the volume switch creating a solid ambience. The lyrics are mystical; "From the moment I reached out to hold, I felt a sound, And what touches our soul slowly moves as touch rebounds. And to know that tempo will continue, Lost in trance of dances as rhythm takes another turn, As is my want, I only reach to look in your eyes." After this the drums crash in, and there is a huge wall of sound with multi layered keys and chaotic bass playing. The time signature goes in to swing mode and the keys are brought forward in the mix. The astounding vocals crunch out a chant and we are driven into a freak out of keyboard wizardry. There are a myriad of solos on this giving band members time to shine.

'To Be Over' is a slow paced piece of tranquility and the real star here is Howe with some absolutely blazing guitar solos of varying styles, from jazz to Symphonic psychedelia, and a touch of blues. The lyrics are surreal along the lines of "Shine like, soul dreamer, wondering, to seek in every night, to open two pathways... " The keyboard solo of Moraz is sparkling clean and refreshing. "After all your soul is still surrendered," the multi layered vocals of Anderson chime.

So ends a fascinating album with three excellent tracks. Due to this high level of excellence and no filler material it is one of the all time prog masterpieces.

Crime of the Century
Supertramp

Supertramp Crime of the Century album cover

Supertramp's “Crime of the Century” is the piece de resistance as far as the band goes, reaching a peak in their career and becoming their one and only super smash hit, although “Breakfast in America” made a huge impact with the smash hit single 'The Logical Song'.

“COTC” features some of the all time greatest Supertramp blockbusters such as 'Dreamer' that is found on every compilation and features in many pop culture forms on TV. 'Bloody Well Right' is the angst driven rocker where one can't get that chorus out of their heads. The music is infectious and catchy hooks are prevalent. Both are well known outside of prog circles of course. There is a kind of running theme on the ideas of education, loneliness and alienation. The lead vocalist Roger Hodgson is as high pitched as Jon Anderson, and he is balanced by Rick Davies. The keyboards are a main focus played deftly by Davies and there are some delightful soaring saxophone passages by Helliwell. The musicianship is very innovative and replete with driving rhythms and soft ambience interspersed in each track.

Other highlights include 'School' and the majestic showstopper 'Crime of the Century' where Helliwell blazes on sax. Overall it is a solid commercial sounding album with great production and sound. It is an album of major influence and features one of the most iconic and surreal album covers of rock history; a victim’s arms at the prison bars trapped in space.

A review by Sean Trane:

The sweetest of all the crimes of any century... .

After their mentor and label's abandon, Hodgson and Davies had to re-start Supertramp all over from scratch, with the only assurance of a recording contract with their label A&M. The duo hired two ex-The Alan Bown! members: saxman and free-electron John Anthony Helliwell who had a high-pitched voice very similar to Hodgson's and the excellent bassist Dougie Thompson, whose bass would quickly become a very important element of Supertramp's new sound. They also hired Bob Siebenberg (later Bob C. Benberg) on drums and this would become the classic line-up of the group for years to come. This is the album that saw Rick Davies' rise as full-blown singer and his baritone vocals contrasts heavily with Hodgson and Helliwell's soprano voices, thus making this unique and instantly recognizable Supertramp sound.

Probably knowing that this would be their last shot, they returned to the more progressive fold of their debut album, but created a full-blown concept album that stood the test of time. Apparently, and despite their delusions about their first two albums, the A&M management liked what they heard and gave Ken Scott a "carte blanche" and un-limited studio time to get the album the chance it deserved. Scott had been around for David Bowie and Elton John, and produced a sublime sounding album, with outstanding arrangements. Just listen to Elton's Madman Across The Water album on the Levon, title track and Indian summer tracks' string arrangements to understand how important Ken's involvement is important to the album's sound. The album was also graced with an iconic artwork with the absolutely spellbinding jail in the cosmos illustration, thus enhancing the album's youth alienation concept.

But all of these details would amount to nothing, if the music on the album was anything less than flabbergastingly stupendous and the alternance of Hodgson & Davies song is one of the most inspiring ideas of the album. With that lone harmonica opening the wild School track (a rare Davies/Hodgson collaboration in songwriting), there are precious few albums starting so breathtakingly well. Indeed that song is the group's flagship with its constantly-changing patterns and many breaks and those schoolyard kids screams are spine-chillingly beautifully placed in the middle section. The blues-derived Bloody Well Right is a typical Davies tune that will boost his confidence for the future endeavors. While a bit too-wordy, Hodgson counters with the spell-binding Hide In Your Shell, a flamboyant tune about shyness' implications. But if that wasn't awesome enough, Davies counters with the blood-curdling and spine-chilling Asylum, a pure bombastic tune about losing grasp of reality. Before one knew it, it was time to flip the album over.

The second chapter opens with the only song I like that features Hodgson's taste for w**ker melodies choruses (see Lady, Give A Little Bit, the BIA tt, Raining Again), but the song itself is awesome, especially with the outstanding Thompson bass line and the establishment accusation lyrics. The Hodgson unconditional fans will have to recognize that Davies also managed some incredibly beautiful songs, like the album centerpiece Rudy, a fantastic trip through the estranged boy escape-route from society (listen to these amazing string counterpoints that gives so much depth to the track). This epic is equally impressive as Fool's Overture, and not just in my humble opinion. The self-explanatory If Everyone Was Listening is an emotional last-chance cry before-alienation-warning, before the no-return point of the closing track. Indeed the title track is a splendid album finale where Rudy commits his no-coming-back gesture, no doubt his idea of a Crime Of The Century. The track's long double piano finale is out-of this world.

This album will always have a huge spot in my heart as it was my first album ever acquired from my hard-earned cash (newspaper delivery) and still one of my favorites; and it is responsible for thousands of albums I have bought since. From the harmonica intro of School to the fade-out of the title-track this is a major work of art. This album was capital to me in my teens, as most of us related to the story of Rudy's alienation to his surrounding world. It is easier to point out the one slightly weaker number than list the outstanding ones: If Everyone is the only slight imperfection in here but it is still essential to the rest. It also took me some time to accept the w**ker chorus of Dreamer, but the incredible bass line (courtesy of the awesome Thompson) behind made it pass. Absolutely essential listening and definitely in my top 10 albums. 

The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage
Peter Hammill

Peter Hammill The Silent Corner And The Empty Stage album cover

Controlled passionate vocals, dynamic everchanging music, mindbending lyrics - "The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage".

Peter Hammill's solo efforts will appeal primarily to those who have an avid interest in the mighty Van der Graaf Generator. Hammill's voice has a distinct storyteller quality that has made him a popular icon of the prog scene for many years. At least 3 of his solo albums have become revered treasures and "The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage" is definitely one that is closer to the VDGG sound than many others. Jaxon, Banton and Evan's contribution is of course a primary reason for the Van der Graafian sounds. The consistent quality of the songs is another reason for the high status of this album; whereas many Hammill albums wallow on one style, this one throws in a plethora of styles and holds the interest on repeat listens. It also contains arguably Hammill's finest solo composition 'A Louse is not a Home'.

In the first 5 seconds Hammill makes his presence known with the exhilarating 'Modern' with potent lyrics; "Jericho's strange, throbbing with life at its heart, people are drawn together simultaneously torn apart." His vocals are a pervasive force. The music is as VDGG as it can get with fuzz bass and odd time sigs with very unusual instrumentation. In the liner notes Hammill states the song is, "simply a sonic assault." There is nothing simple about this with its weird meter and shifting moody atmospheres. The instrumental break is a dynamic soundwave of hyper tense musical structures, high pitched soprano saxophone screeches from Jaxon, and an ominous build-up of Banton's keyboard and Hammill's angular phased guitar. Then after this tension it releases into a new time sig and back to the descending acoustic chords. The dissonance of woodwind competing against the melody is astonishing.

'Wilhelmina' is a piano ballad similar to the softer VDGG songs where Hammill croons about his existential state of mind. However the lyrics of this are more focussed on the love of Guy Evans daughter and giving advice to how she can cope with the changes in her life as she grows to be a lady. Quite beautiful and a little sad in tone. 'The Lie' features a slow cadence and the familiar cathedral organ of Banton. At times Hammill rises to his passionate aggressive voice and it even climaxes on a grinding Hammond blast. It is also directed towards Evans' daughter.

A capella Hammill begins 'Forsaken Gardens', a slow moderate melancholy song. Hammill points out in the album notes, "we played it on a few occasions after the "Godbluff" reformation." It is a transition between the two VDDG periods and sounds similar to that style, building with flute and some scorching sax passages. It is so great to hear that sax on a Hammill solo release, a part of the more recent VDGG albums that was sorely missed for a time. The birds twittering at the end is an effect using Hammill's Fluid Sound Box, a Leslie effect according to Hammill.

'Red Shift' is a track that must rank as one of the solo highlights, along with the album closer. It begins with some narrative, spacey sax squeals and a VDGG time sig. Lyrics are off the planet, "once all the stars were bright now they are red and fading, and all the colours we wore, the shades that we bore have moved, and the gold turns to red with no time for changes: Red shift all moving away from we." The chorus is a slow meter vocally, with odd sporadic percussion from Evans. This is a darker song on the album and Jaxon's sax is dynamic. The track immerses the listener into its dark recesses as only Hammill can.

The release of the next track, 'Rubicon' is a welcome relief. It is acoustically driven and peaceful with some poetic beauty; "open the toy box, you are Pandora, I am the world, if you cross the stream you can never return."

The last song is the clincher, the masterpiece of the album, 'A Louse is not a Home' and it reeks of VDGG. It should, as the band were going to add this to their new album before they disbanded again. The sound is pitch dark and reflects the downbeat lyrical content which at times is brilliant; "my words are spiders upon the page, they spin out faith, hope and reason, but are they meet and just, or only dust gathering about my chair" and later "day is just a word I use to keep the dark at bay, and people are imaginary, nothing exists except except the room I'm sitting in, and of course the all-pervading mist - " Hammill is chilling speaking of a presence of someone watching him and his paranoia is frightening.

The time sig that pounds with Banton's staccato sax blasts and loud guitar is similar to the "Pawn Hearts" era. It soon settles into quiet meditative reflections. The haunting solitude is an intense atmosphere, with spasms of sax and organ. It builds with a ferocity and Hammill's scream to the world is unnerving. It returns to the huge melodic motif at the beginning with, "maybe I should delouse this place, maybe I should deplace this louse, maybe I'll maybe my life away, in the confines of this silent house." A brilliant eargasm clocking 12 minutes and encompassing the best of Hammill in his blackest mood.

The bonus tracks are intriguing raw versions of album tracks played live in various locales and with varying quality. The rumbling thunder of Hammil's piano is a weapon to project his anger and anxiety on 'The Lie', especially the primal scream at the end. As Hammil makes clear in the liner notes, "somewhat deficient in sound quality but very much there in Presence." 'Rubicon' live is a flute driven evocative version, 'Red Shift' is acoustic and sax dominated, no drums necessary fore either recorded at BBC Radio One. "The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage" is a definitive Hammill classic and certainly one for VDGG fans as well as those with a proclivity for dark atmospheric moods.

Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 3 - You
Gong

Gong Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 3 - You album cover

Gong's final part of the Radio Gnome Flying Teapot trilogy is also their best. “You” hammers the final nail in the coffin for pot head pixies, octave doctor's, Zero the Hero and pussy witches everywhere. From the very outset the album transports the listener into this drugged psychedelic universe where we land on planet Gong and experience dramatic shifts from accomplished musicianship to passionate flights into fantasy, where hallucinogenic drugs seem to take over.

'A PHP's advice' is simply weird, but it sets the right frame of mind and fires the imagination. "In case you don't remember this is what you do, get up out of bed... If you are a believer, what do you believe, why do you believe it.... let the Pot Head Pixies show them what to do.... if you've got a problem....remember you are me, I am you..." The lyrics are as quirky as ever, and almost non incidental, though inseparable from the musical ambience.

Gilli's space whispering is here again, on "Magick Mother Invocation" and those bizarre sound effects merge from the trees, and of course Daevid's idiosyncratic vocals that are pure Gong. The chanting Gregorian monks are unsettling but what more can any Gong addict ask for? There are highlights which have become part of Gong mythological folklore. These include 'A Sprinkling of Clouds', a lengthy but wonderful ambient mental instrumental, that is beautiful and haunting. A multi phased synthesizer pulsates and throbs along as spaced out effects echo. This is a bit like a vamped up version of Tangerine Dream in a sense; a very different approach from Gong, heavily reliant on keyboards, and fully instrumental. The icy glacial soundscapes transport us to another world with very effective ambient textures. Eventually a guitar lick locks in and a bass line that drives the track to its conclusion.

Also there is the compelling 'Master Builder'. This was segued from 'Magick..." and is like an alien tribal chant; a strange combination reminiscent of Magma meets Hawkwind. The spacey swooshes and piercing trills are off-kilter, and there is a pipe in their somewhere and a scorching saxophone solo. Glorious instrumental virtuosity with a wonderful bass line and off beat drumming keeping it all together. Then it stops and the birds are heard twittering in the trees as the track stops and starts, till it locks into a chant and phased guitar fret runs. The spacey effects are overkill at this point but it’s effective enough. Nonsensical lyrics propel it along and the sax builds to a climax.

But for any Gong Pot Head Pixie the quintessential tracks are 'The Isle of Everywhere' and the epic 'You Never blow Yr Trip Forever'. Both these tracks are arguably the best of Gong with spacey guitars and ethereal soundscapes that only Gong could create in their own inimitable style. 'The Isle of Everywhere' is quintessential Gong and is featured on all the best Gongompilations. 'You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever' features Daevid's wild jabbering and a quirky time sig and musical effects that sound childishly playful but like all Gong there is a dark undertone prevalent throughout, like a little innocent sweet girl in pigtails wielding a knife behind her back. This is as bizarre as one likes Gong to be, beautiful flute and an ethereal keyboard create a feeling of morbid dread. The track plunges into an atonal shift into psychedelia "the more you know the more you don't know..." Daevid muses, and we are reintroduced to Zero the Hero, and the lyrics chatter about "the hole in the morning, dawning, ....around and round and round and round, ..maybe you like and maybe you won't and it's all the same it's all in the name... but you don't have to give up hope..." After this infantile but highly amusing section, we hear a narrative voice ending this bizarre trilogy, "Well there goes Zero The Hero turning around, and meanwhile all the characters of Planet Gong have to leave you now," they are farewelled, each one, and then Daevid asks the simple question and his farewell speech is basically "why don't you, why don't you, why don't you try, why don't you try, to try, oh why don't you tr-iyayiyi, why, why, don't you try". But there are no answers; the trilogy is over.

It may not be for all tastes certainly, perhaps too strange, off beat and downright unsettling, according to how jaded one’s sensibilities are, but Gong have an ability to captivate and finally entrance like no other. “You” remains perhaps Gong's finest achievement along with the enthralling “Angel's Egg” and mesmirising “Flying Teapot”. Together they are the infamous and indispensable “Flying Teapot Radio Gnome Invisible” saga that every prog fan should experience.

A review by dreadpirateroberts:

Great space-rock with strong hints of jazz, along with some novelty-sounding songs that don't suit the rest of the material.

Essentially a rock album with jazz leanings, Gong produce some fascinating moments and some top notch space-rock spiced with great sax and guitar solos. Elsewhere, especially when the tracks are shorter, Allen and his large cast come up with some nonsensical songs that detract from the album's overall feel. 

Admittedly this is a thematic album, the closer of a trilogy and I have no other Gong albums yet, but the novelty songs simply aren't for me. It's not that they're recorded or performed poorly (and 'Thoughts for Naught' has some nice flute) but I find them less effective than the rest of the album.

Perhaps 'You' ought to have opened with the space-whisper-synth of 'Magick Mother Invocation' as it builds such anticipation, serving as an extended intro to the explosive 'Master Builder' with it's rock-ish saxophone solo and phased guitar riffs over a kind of speed-shuffle beat and percussion. It's outro features more soloing and a building vocal chant that that eventually rushes to a halt to usher in 'A Sprinkling of Clouds' that again features keys in a prominent role, maintaining atmosphere while the rhythm section charges ahead.

The mood established by this run of three fantastic space-rock pieces is shattered by the next song, 'Perfect Mystery' with its goofy pop and fairly embarrassing 'cops at the door' vocals. Once again, the short story sequences really blemish this album for me, which is otherwise one of the better space-rock albums out there.

'Isle of Everywhere' restores some mystery with airy, wordless vocals drenched in reverb while drums and bass bring some funk. The album closes with 'You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever' which has the vocal improvisation of Allen splayed across a jam that plays as a bit of an experiment and later features something approaching conventional rock vocals. It's not a terrible number but isn't as successful as the other long pieces.

The novelty songs don't actually detract from the stand out space jams on this one, but they do drag the album down to three stars for me. Having said that, I suspect that this is essential Gong, if not an essential jazz record.

The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Genesis

Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway album cover

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and Gabriel takes a final bow. Genesis was in turmoil during the making of this album. It was to be the last time Gabriel would front the band as he was off to greener pastures on a solo career that was not surprisingly successful. He quit Genesis as he was disheartened by the band members, attitudes were at bay and tempers did fray, so this is an emotional album with turmoil driving it at the centre of its black heart.

The vocals are abrasive and aggressive, especially towards the middle of the album. The band seem lost in the overblown concept and it is indeed the most ambitious overbearing album of the Genesis catalogue. Aside from all this the album tends to grow on a listener like fungus on the lemon tree.

The bildungsroman of self discovery and personal growth of Rael is as much a part of Gabriel's history as anything he put his hand to post Genesis. Peter Gabriel relinquished the fox head in red dress, and concentrated on the slipperman and the forlorn character of Rael on this double album treat. The rock opera is unforgettable, many critics hailing it as the masterpiece of 1974. The double vinyl album is now a double CD and sounds glorious by any standards. The plot is a conglomeration of Gabriel's fantasies and the life story that is laced by hallucinogenics of a Puerto Rican tramp known as Rael and we hear slices of experiences that may be real or simply figments of Rael's stoned mind. Nevertheless the music is the last great prog opera for Genesis.

The lyrics are concentrically focussed on Rael's delusional state of mind that is warped with apparitions of stumbling tramps, cocoons, cages and caverns. There are a myriad of characters caught up in the lunacy including anaesthesists, colonies of slippermen, Greek mythological figures and a plethora of quotes from poets, authors and musical composers. In its day the album must have knocked every artist off their perch as there was nothing like it, and it has become highly influential over the years.

The album cover with subjects jumping out of their paintings and escaping the canvas entrapment is iconic. The highlight of the entire album is undoubtedly In The Cage’, and Carpet Crawlers’, a definitive track that mauled the charts.

The real power of the album lies in its compelling structure and storyline. Rael seems to wake up in a cage where he soon comes face to face with the carpet crawlers, supernatural anaesthetists and the Slippermen. The events that happen to Rael are superseded by anxiety and confusion, enhanced by confusing alienating lyrics, but it is safe to assume that Rael the protagonist goes through a living torturous hell, getting castrated, and later encountering his brother John who topples over imaginary rapids but he is chased by Rael and ultimately saved from certain death. The final twist is found in the last track ‘It. The meaning is left open for interpretation, and may be anything from sex to beliefs.

Gabriel is on fire and at his sardonic best on this as the character of Rael, a cyber punk anarchist with a cause. Collins, Banks, Hackett and Rutherford are there somewhere in the distance behind this megolomaniac protagonist in his plastic cinematographic landscape. The domination of Gabriel is astonishing but there is no getting away from the scintillating keyboards of Banks, brilliant at times, and the rhythm machine of bass and drums extraordinaire, Rutherford and Collins. Hackett is a phenomenon on lead guitars as always, and he absolutely sparkles on this album.

There are segues and transitions to songs by short pieces such as Broadway Melody of 1974’, to prepare us for the majesty of Cuckoo Cocoon’. Hackett features on arpeggios and scales making his guitar soar and the return of Gabriel's flute is a sheer delight. It was almost a farewell to the past, as the flute rarely troubled his solo albums.

‘The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging’ is one of the avant-garde Genesis romps and it will not appeal to everyone for this reason. The esoteric soundscape is surreal and it even features vocals that belch; perhaps in a cynical fashion Eno wrote this to create an experimental atypical track that would stand out among the rest.

There is a nihilistic foreboding cynicism in Gabriel on Back In NYC’. Bank's keyboards have a massive sound that manages to dominate even over Gabriel's egotism. The character of Rael screeches with utter contempt: "This is your mess I'm stuck in, I really don't belong" and we tend to believe him here. He is a fearsome street punk who takes no prisoners; nobody would dare to step in his way. That would all change. The mellotron swirls and sparkles on Hairless Heart’, a sumptuous instrumental where Hackett shows his chops on axe. He drives his guitar headlong with spacey flourishes, perhaps an underrated classic for Hackett's virtuoso prowess.

Gabriel becomes even more desperate as the album progresses and by the time we get past the prog ballad Carpet Crawlers’ to ‘The Chamber of 32 Doors’, Rael has become a figure of desolation and despair. The Mellotron cries out as Gabriel's Rael pleads for redemption. So endeth Act 1 and we then move to the second Act on CD2.

‘Lilywhite Lilith’ begins it well with beautiful melodies and energetic flow. The optimist declares the best of all possible worlds, and while the pessimist fears this is so, Rael shines with hope for a future at this stage in the game. The Waiting Room’ brings things down considerably, with its surreal structure, but the hyper strangeness makes it inaccessible. In context the piece works as a nightmare for Rael's decline into damnation. It was recorded in pitch dark and sounds it.

‘Anyway’ is next, and is an accessible piece after the last experimental mental collapse of the last track. It is subdued and peaceful with gentle calm guitars and arpeggiated piano. The lyrics are cryptic but generate visual dioramas of the protagonist's plight. There is a wonderful melodic line and simplicity behind the stark arrangement. "And it's good morning Rael".

‘The Supernatural Anaesthetist’ has a brief bizarre diatribe of unintelligible lyrics by Collins and Gabriel and then Hackett launches into space and just plays. The piece is supposed to denote the impact of death or it could be the impact of drugs. The Lamia’ is one of the more memorable tunes with anguished sexualised lyrics and symbolism that are open to interpretation. There are portamento synth lines from Banks permeating the atmosphere. The story line goes into dark territory here are as Rael devours his lovers after an orgy.

‘Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats’ is really a transition piece to the next big track, which is the hyper weird surrealism ofThe Colony of Slippermen’. There are estranged jungle noises until the sudden detour into symphonic prog heralded by Banks keyboards and a quote from William Wordsworth; classic poet of the century. The sitar makes an appearance generating an Eastern flavour. The slipperman appears on stage as a distorted fiendish globular creature and Gabriel's monstrous growl gives it chilling substance.

The story line becomes a dream tale; Rael and his brother John, who is disfigured by VD, give themselves over to a ritual castration performed by a surgeon. Somehow the eventual destination of their genitalia winds up in the beak of a 'Phallus hoarding Magpie' who proceeds to carry it away in its beak. The pursuit is on for the Thieving Magpie and we wind up in Ravine’. ‘The Light Dies Down on Broadway’ brings us back to the original theme and it's a relief to hear it after all the strange going-ons.

‘Riding the Scree’ is a Banks blaster, where he is allowed to hook into a groove that cruises along at a quick pace. The vocals are as unconventional as ever at the end of this but after a lengthy keyboard solo they feel forced and pasted on in order to continue the main storyline. In the Rapids’ brings the album to its eventual conclusion. Rael eventually leaps to his death to save his disloyal brother. Is he a hero for doing this? His brother is not even loyal having forsaken Rael on at least two occasions.

Next is the oft discussed oddity enigmatically called It’. Gabriel here is cynical and swipes at sexual gratification, and music journalists. "It’s only knock and know-all but I like it" is a direct swipe at The Rolling Stones. This is just Gabriel trying to be funny having recorded in the same studio as the Stones.

So in conclusion, the opus of Genesis works well on a number of levels. Philosophically; there is much to gain from a close inspection of the lyrics. Musically; there are masterful performances. Gabrielly; it may be among Peter's best work. Gabriel was like Rael on this album. He felt trapped by rock and roll excess and the drug culture. Like Macbeth, Gabriel felt cabined, cribbed, confined, bound by saucy doubts and fears, and he needed to escape. He did escape his cage and Genesis was never the same again. Genesis was set free from conceptual diatribes on modern society, and were able to rejuvenate into a money making machine. Some say they were better but that is open to argument. Nothing like this album was attempted again.

Rock Bottom
Robert Wyatt

Robert Wyatt Rock Bottom album cover

A powerhouse performance of a man at his lowest point.

Robert Wyatt was recovering from a horrendous fall breaking his legs and his spirit. The remains of that shattered spirit is injected into every vocal and musical instrumentation on “Rock Bottom”. The melancholy of the album is astounding; it overflows with sadness and yet one could not sense any bitterness in Wyatt’s vocals. He is so reserved apart from the Soft Machine and Matching Mole among other projects. Here we have the paraplegic man in solitude at his piano in his most reflective thought provoking mood. His fragile vocals are soothing and emotionally charged but there is no self pity. The music ranges from beauty to inner rage appropriate to the flowing organic atmospheres. This one grows slowly on the listener like crawling poison through the veins and is definitely one to savour if you want to hear the inner depths of a man’s soul laid bare. Wyatt opens up his spirit, his mind, his soul to anyone who would dare to listen.

‘Sea Song’ is one of his quietest songs with a powerful ending with swirling synths and intonations of Wyatt’s angst driven emotion. Richard Sinclair’s bassline and Wyatt’s gentle piano opens ‘A Last Straw’. Wyatt indulges in some of his ad lib scat style but its okay. He really shines on vocals on “Rock Bottom”. Some nice guitar breaks on this lift the spirits.

'Little Red Robin Hood Hit the Road’ is more towards the experimental Soft Machine style, with wild sax and Wyatt gasping for air, perhaps reliving his tragedy through music. He ad libs some cries of desperation “stop it, oh deary me, what I heaven’s name.” The music reverses into backwards as does Wyatt’s vocals and the result is very unsettling but appropriate in projecting the awful torment of losing the use of his legs. The narration is an incoherent Wyatt at his lowest point and then dissonant music builds with truly chilling effect. Fred Frith's violin has a Celtic flavour.

‘Alifib’ begins with the pulsations of Wyatt’s breathing as though strapped to a life machine in a coma, thus a re-enactment of the situation he had faced. The guitar is trilling nicely over a layer of ethereal keyboards and bass. Wyatt’s vocals are mixed to the front and are full of disconsolate tones. The melody is rather pretty but still have dark nuances. It changes into Gary Windo's sax squeaks that speak insanity and Wyatt lapses into madness with vocals such as “Alife my larder, Alife my larder, I can't forsake you, or forsqueak you." The dissonance of piano barricaded by a downbeat melody and depressed sax is an astounding combination. One may be reminded of Van der Graaf Generator here with the great Jaxon on sax. At times the sax is blown without any noise penetrating through; I have never heard the sax used so intensely, it just screams in spasms of agony, and is very disturbing to the ears. The song ends with more incoherency from Wyatt and a really creepy narration; “I’m a dear little dolly”, and then closes with multi buzzing drones.

Without warning Wyatt begins the next song ‘Alife’ with higher vocals and a marching timpani rhythm. The lyrics are the same as the previous track but it is a completely different style and much more restrained. The low vocals of Ivor Cutler on the final track are burblings of madness “I want it I want it give it to me I give it you back when I finish the lunch tea, I lie in the road, try to trip up the passing cars. Yes, me and the hedgehog, we bursting the tyres all day. As we roll down the highway towards the setting sun, I reflect on the life of the highwayman, yum yum. Now I smash up the telly and what's left of the broken phone.” It ends on this note with a manic laugh.

At the end of the album it leaves this reviewer rather drained as it is an intense experience entering the mind of the genius madman and we can really sense his emotions that are in turmoil from the experience. It is a wonderful cathartic album though as it delivers such bold and powerful statements. Wyatt does not hold back his pain and we feel refreshed as we experience it with him from the comfort of our headphones. This album may be Wyatt’s finest achievement.         

Hamburger Concerto 
Focus

Focus Hamburger Concerto  album cover

A review by Mellotron Storm:

While this is most people’s favourite FOCUS record,I think "Moving Waves" and "III" are much better. You have to love the humour they bring into their music though, I mean check out the title of this album. ‘Delitae Musicae’ is a short intro track of acoustic guitar and piano. ‘Harem Scarem’ features a catchy rhythm and is uptempo. I really like the guitar 2 minutes in followed by flute. That same theme is back at 3 1/2 minutes only this time with an extended guitar solo. Back to the uptempo melody after 5 minutes.

‘La Cathedral De Strasbourg’ opens with dark sounding piano, and when the organ comes in it reminds me of GENESIS. Vocals after 2 minutes. Some whistling and a very pleasant melody that reminds me of CAMEL. ‘Birth’ opens with harpsichord before drums take over a minute in. Organ follows as we get a full sound before 2 minutes. Flute a minute later as it calms down. The guitar 5 minutes in is tastefully played but it comes back before 7 minutes more aggressively.

‘Hamburger Concerto’ is a 20 minute ride. I like the contrast early of the rock sound with the Banks-like keys. Excellent. A calm 5 1/2 minutes in as an odd vocal melody arrives. The song sort of meanders along for a while. I'm not a fan of the vocals before 16 minutes, they remind me of church. A change to a fuller sound 17 minutes in as earlier themes are repeated. ‘Early Birth’ is a catchy little track with some great guitar after a minute, and later to end it. Good album but I much prefer “Moving Waves” and “Focus III”.

The Power And The Glory 
Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant The Power And The Glory  album cover

A review by SouthSideoftheSky:

We come now to my favourite Gentle Giant album, “The Power And The Glory”. Here Gentle Giant tackles politics in an interesting way. The critical and subversive sentiments reflected in the lyrics appeal to me very much. The lyrics are as clever as the music.

The previous “In A Glass House” had been a major improvement over “Octopus”, which I think is quite overrated. “In A Glass House”, great though it is, has a couple of irritating moments. “The Power And The Glory”, on the other hand, is consistently good and only the somewhat repetitive ‘So Sincere’ is not as good as the other tracks.

I especially like their newfound ability to be serious and reflective both in the lyrics and in the music. ‘Aspirations’ is a perfect example of just the type of song earlier Gentle Giant albums so desperately needed. It is a great and even subtle ballad. Here Gentle Giant finally dropped their tendency to be complex all the time, which mostly left the listener bewildered and with no room to breathe. Songs like ‘Aspirations’ and similar more mellow moments on this album makes the more loaded and complex passages sound all the more powerful. You don't have to be complex all the time to make good and interesting music! “The Power And The Glory” is therefore a more dynamic album, held together by a good concept. I think this shows a much more mature Gentle Giant and this is the peak of their career.

The music is melodic and varied and it often rocks quite hard. There are not really any specific track(s) that stands out above all the others (like the title track on “In A Glass House”, for example), rather the album is good as a whole and it flows better than any other Gentle Giant album.

The "hail to the power and the glory" theme introduced in ‘Proclamations’ return again in ‘Valedictory’ creating a unity of the whole album in a much more convincing way than the (somewhat annoying) sound of breaking glass did on “In A Glass House”. A great finale to a great album!

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 07 2012 at 08:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 01:28
1974 - continued

Intorno Alla Mia Cattiva Educazione
Alusa Fallax

Alusa Fallax Intorno Alla Mia Cattiva Educazione album cover

A review by Finnforest:

In a word, fabulous.

Definitely one of the best classic Italian albums I've heard so far. This one has it all: great beauty, emotional performances, thoughtful arrangements, and great playing. It just has that indefinable spirit and extra oomph that capture my heart.

This is a great album that is not well known but should be as I believe it to be in the first tier of Italian bands. It's a marvelous conceptual piece about a young person raised in a restrictive environment who eventually has to rebel against it all. Formed in the late 60s, Alusa Fallax had the typical Italian experience of releasing some singles, playing live mostly in the Italian festivals, recording their opus, and then eventually breaking up. It took Alusa longer than some to split but a second album was never released although they did work on material for a second album. The guys were accomplished and educated and eventually moved on to other things in the late 70s.

Conceived as a stage show concert, all of the songs are connected so you have two unique suites of music (really one on CD) that flow ridiculously well. This is not one of those albums you memorize quickly and thus it retains its excitement and its newness with each listen. It has a distinct avant-garde feel to it, more so than some of its peers. They do mix clever musical surprises but it never gets outright silly or juvenile, and while things do seem chaotic I have the feeling that the albums excursions were not only planned but agonized over. Nothing sounds like filler here and that's one of my benchmarks of a great album. Classical elements are mixed with rock and jazzy passages, acoustic instruments are mixed with electric seamlessly, vocals sections balance well with the instrumental ones. The playing is very capable but not flaunted for ego. The keyboards are prevalent and perfect here, the vocals are warm and passionate, and the quality guitars/bass/drums are accented by touches of flute, sax, and hand percussion. I love how the keyboards are layered on the first track, you have some in the foreground with these soft misty ones slowly rising and falling in the background.

Compared to some of the English heavy hitters and the top Italian acts like PFM, Orme, and Banco, this album may be less sophisticated in some ways and have lower sound quality due to the lower budgets. But what it lacks in those areas it makes up for in my view by being far more charming, sentimental, and intimate. In that way I would compare it to the splendid “Apoteosi” album. While not perfect, I find the sound to be adequate and definitely good enough not to detract from my enjoyment.

Keyboardist Massimo Parretti gives a nice interview in the CD booklet where he lists some of the bands influences as side B of “Abbey Road”, “Jesus Christ Superstar”, Debussy, Ravel, Stravinski, Varese, Santana, Chicago, ELP, Floyd, Tull, Genesis, The Who, Joe Cocker, Crimson, and APP. He also lets fly with a colorful and scathing review of the music industry from the mid 80s on and what he sees as the dismal quality of what was fed to the public.

Quite recommended to any lovers of adventurous classic symphonic music and absolutely essential to anyone putting together an Italian genre collection. “The Vinyl Magic” mini-lp sleeve CD reissue is a beauty with good sound and a nice booklet including the lyrics, some artwork, and the Parretti interview which is printed in Italian and English. Get the remastered version and play it loud many times. You will fall in love!

Phaedra
Tangerine Dream

Tangerine Dream Phaedra album cover

Tangerine Dream’s spacey textures are a major influence on ambience and experimental music, in a similar sense to Soft Machine's approach to jazz. They are certainly progenitors of electronic music and glacial landscape music like no other band. There is no structure to the music, and it drones with cold stark rhythmless, almost improvised sessions. At times a synth pad is heard on one note and there are no changes or beats. The idea is to immerse the listener in a soundscape of spacey atmospherics.

Tracks of note include the excellent sounds of ‘Sequent C’ and ‘Movements of a Visionary’, especially the intro section, that deserves its place as one of the best ambient pieces. The music is difficult to absorb, and challenging, but “Phaedra” is a masterful space journey.

A review by Warthur:

Tangerine Dream underwent an incredible transformation on their move to Virgin Records, producing this classic album which heralds a new synthesiser-dominated style for them. Cold, ethereal, and ghostly throughout, “Phaedra” is one of the spookiest electronic albums out there, with wailing mellotrons, mysterious flute, and heavy use of sequencers creating a thick miasma from which sonic shapes emerge and fade away. The album shows some influence from ex-member Klaus Schulze's “Cyborg”, which was recorded some months before, but whilst Schulze preceded Tangerine Dream into these electronic realms, Tangerine Dream forge ahead into unexplored territory as soon as they enter. Another five star classic, their best since Zeit.

A review by Sean Trane:

Add another halfstar. If you were to draw a straight line in between the Zeit-Atem period albums and the Ricochet-Stratosfear albums this one would stand a third of the way and Rubycon would stand at the second third of the way. The major difference between Atem and Phaedra (other than their fight with the great Ohr label and their signing to Virgin Records) is that the sounds produced here are more structured , more symphonic (or less nightmarish if you please) and that there are times at which theire is a semblence of a rhythm track.

This is an absolute major album both historically and artistically. For anybody who has doubt about this being prog (Í'm speaking here of the younger generation who did not live this 70's discovering album by album these groundbreaking soundscapes and hailing Froese & Co. as musical adventurers - Indiana Jones at Sonic Temple of Heaven), imagine that all these sounds of birds and waves that you hear, were made with almost prototype synths and all of those albums were revolutionary - therefore progressive by essence.

Queen II
Queen

Queen Queen II album cover

When the white queen and the black queen collide, the result is Queen's proggiest album.

“Queen II” is a very strong rock album with shades of light and dark and some of Queen's best material. After the 'Procession' heralds the entry of Queen the heavy riffing 'Father to Son' blazes away. It features the trademark harmonies, Mercury's provocative crooning and May’s scorching guitar solos. The track segues seamlessly to 'White Queen (As It Began)' which is a proggy track that has many sections beginning with a quiet minimalism, Mercury and acoustic guitar. At the sound of a gong a gentle melodic guitar picking figure carries Mercury's voice along and harmonies swell in at the chorus, lifting the mood. The lyrics are about the sadness of the lonely Queen: “needing, unheard, pleading, one word, so sad my eyes, she cannot see, how did thee fare, what have thee seen, the mother of the willow green, I call her name, and 'neath her window have I stayed, I loved the footsteps that she made, and when she came, white queen how my heart did ache, and dry my lips no word would make.” An eastern sitar changes the atmosphere, feeling very psychedelic and mystical at this stage. A great track found only on this album.

Other highlights of the album include 'Loser in the End' with a backbeat feel and very cool guitar licks. The sound is vintage Queen, nothing like their 80s hit singles and quite surprising.

'Ogre Battle' has a wind effect that swells up with backmasked guitar riffing and is as prog as the band were going to get. The riff is fast and angular, the lyrics are a fable of medieval storytelling in prog style: “The ogre men are still inside, The two way mirror mountain, You gotta keep down, Right out of sight, You can't see in but they can see out, Keep a look out, The ogre men are coming out from the two way mirror mountain, They're running up behind, And they're coming all about, Can't go east 'cause you gotta go south.” I love the way Mercury delivers these lines. And the ending is terrific with battle effects.

The next track, 'Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke' continues from this track that has set the scene, Mercury continues to tell the epic tale and this merges without interruption into the balladic 'Nevermore'. The best and proggiest track on the album is the gate crashing 'March of the Black Queen', one of the longest Queen tracks at 6 minutes, it begins with heartfelt harmonies. A killer chorus heralds the entrance of the Black Queen, with a very catchy melody. The multi layered harmonies and song structure are hyper complex. The piano and guitar trade off intricate time signatures and it builds to a crescendo until Mercury is given space to quietly sing “remember to deliver with the speed of light... everything you do there's a will and a why... a little bit of love and joy.” The time sig shifts tempo and a faster pace locks in as the next verse is pounded out. The lead break is overshadowed by lyrics of strong conviction, bombastic and pomp rock at its highest level but Queen did it like no other. Mercury sings triumphantly “Now it's time to be gone forever”. The track segues instantly into 'Funny How Love Is' which sounds psychedelic.

'Seven Seas of Rhye' is another very famous track, perhaps the most well known from this album. It is a quirky very well structured piece that moves in many directions. Mercury sings the lyrics with a self importance that is quintessential Queen; “fear me you lords and lady preachers, I descend upon your earth from the skies, I command your very souls you unbelievers, bring before me what is mine, the seven seas of rhye, can you hear me you peers and privvy counsellors, I stand before you naked to the eyes, I will destroy any man who dares abuse my trust, I swear that you'll be mine the seven seas of rhye.” The lead break in this track is simply astonishing. The lyrics are perhaps a precursor to 'Flash' that the band would become involved with in the 80s; “storm the master-marathon I'll fly through, by flash and thunder-fire I'll survive, then I'll defy the laws of nature and come out alive.” You have to hand it to Queen to finish their album on such a bombastic note but it is a great way to finish.

So there you have it, 1974 was a strong prog year and this is a powerful Queen album, along with “Sheer Heart Attack” out the same year, defiantly putting their 80s material to shame. When they were prog they were hot. 

Red Queen to Gryphon Three
Gryphon

Gryphon Red Queen to Gryphon Three album cover

Gryphon’s one and only triumph “Red Queen to Gryphon Three” is a chess game that has four lengthy instrumentals beginning with ‘Opening Move’ and ending with ‘Checkmate’. The idea itself is worthwhile noting for its innovation and the album cover depicts the old sage in a medieval setting, poring over his next move on the chessboard, while a joust takes place below in the castle grounds. The music echoes this feeling from the outset with ‘Opening Move’, with long meandering passages of medieval music and courtly majestic excursions. One may be reminded of Gentle Giant at times with the intricate time sigs and Rick Wakeman with its unusual instrumental pageantry. The Renaissance period is captured on this album with strong English folk nuances and an emphasis on woodwind solos.

‘Second Spasm’ features the pied piper sounds of woodwind specialist Richard Harvey, also a marvel on keyboards and Krumhörn. Brian Gulland accompanies on bassoon and Krumhörns and is joined by the incomparable Graeme Taylor on guitars. This track features medieval noodling throughout, that may turn off some listeners, especially the Krumhörn solos and it sounds very whimsical and court jesterish, like the soundtrack to an old comedy in the Renaissance period. The music is certainly upbeat and positive, conjuring images of castles, knights in armour rescuing damsels and kings and queens making a procession to their royal palaces. The marching procession on percussion by David Oberlé is noteworthy also. Other musicians include Philip Nestor on bass, Ernest Hart on organ and Peter Redding plays acoustic bass. 

‘Lament’ opens side 2 of the vinyl and it begins softly with Harvey’s woodwind and Taylor’s gentle acoustic. It fades slowly as the next movement fades up, a more solemn atmosphere with Gulland’s low bassoon tones and guitar. The mood change is appropriate after all the whimsy on side 1 and this melody reflects the sound of an impending calamity. Soon some manic hi hat work ushers in a brand new day, and the music is bright and in quick cadence. The keyboard solo that follows is mesmerising along with the odd meter and pulsing bassline.    

It ends with ‘Checkmate’, a rousing, rollicking piece that may remind one of medieval dancing around the maypole. The strange music locks into a time sig that is all over the place, and then is released with a drum heralding in the march and a recorder solo trills beautifully along. The woodwind solos are virtuoso and this is perhaps a much more progressive track in terms of sigs and building up of intensity. The keyboard solo towards the end is stellar along with the recorder solos and dramatic percussion. It ends with a finale and excellent pageantry.

The chamber music of the album is a compelling focus of Gryphon and at only 4 tracks the album never outstays its welcome. It is certainly worthy of recognition, though may be difficult for some listeners with all the medieval flavours. One thing is for certain there is nothing else like it and Gryphon are recognised primarily for this work alone. It is little wonder that Richard Harvey went on to produce some successful movie soundtracks in his later years.

A review by Finnorest:

Complex and beautiful, an amazing work.

Someone mentioned that this band was nicknamed "Gentle Jethro" because of their supposed mimicry of Tull and Giant. I'll get controversial right off the bat and admit that I'll take this album over any album by Tull or Giant for a number of reasons. I love the fact that I can have this classy, complex, and incredibly performed music free from what I consider the occasionally obnoxious vocals of those two legendary bands. But “Red Queen” is so much more than just a good instrumental album. It is one of the most musically articulate and painstakingly arranged feasts ever assembled. It merges progressive folk and symphonic rock with both renaissance longings but also crisp modern chops and attitude. With long well-planned compositions and virtuoso performances taking the place of vocal distractions “Red Queen” is the perfect album for allowing yourself to be carried away to. Never listen to this album while distracted by other people or tasks. This is music that requires your full attention and should really be heard on headphones with eyes closed and mind engaged in listening mode. There is simply too much happening and changing too quickly to do a proper track by track description of the songs. Suffice to say that each song builds and winds back and forth through moments of symphonic and folk prog grandeur, lush keyboard and piano passages, elegant guitars and percussion, and of course we cannot forget the krumhorns and bassoon! The production is just outstanding and the sound quality of the Japanese remaster is breathtaking. The wonderful album cover art only adds to the completeness of what many consider a masterpiece of 1970s prog.

In his outstanding review at ProgressiveWorld, Tom Karr notes "This is intelligent art rock, with the group producing a work that is absent most of the clichés of the genre. Their affinity for the electric sound they had only recently added is nothing short of amazing, and their sound is exciting and blends their previous acoustic focus well with their new synthesizers and electric guitars.it is the best example of this odd, eclectic style of mid 70s British folk/prog.. Bands like The Strawbs and Steeleye Span produced some interesting blends of early English music and rock, but no one came anywhere close to the mastery of Gryphon, and Gryphon made their premiere musical statement with this release." [Tom Karr]

An essential prog classic that should easily be on one’s "desert island" album list. Recommended to anyone who loves complex music that is lively in nature and presented with great flair and superb artistry. I suggest that even Rio/Avant fans of things like Miasma or Gatto Marte try this out for size; it has the unique instruments, complexity, and sense of adventure that would appeal to those fans.

In Camera
Peter Hammill

Peter Hammill In Camera album cover

Peter Hammill’s “In Camera” is sandwiched between two classic albums, “The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage” and “Nadir’s Big Chance” and as a result often gets overlooked by many reviewers. It still captures the dark intriguing world of the Van der Graaf Generator years but retains a spirit of its own. Hammill is excellent on vocals and piano as always, but he has a more restrained style for many of the songs, at least not as complex as his previous material. Guy Evans is still present on drums, but Jaxon and Banton are absent thus removing the similarity to VDGG material. The real difference here is the synthesizer work of David Hentschel generating a decidedly different sound for Hammill, especially on tracks such as ‘Ferret and the Featherbird’. Hammill is still able to blaze away with angry rockers such as on ‘(No More) the Sub-mariner’ or ‘Tapeworm’ and croon soft with acoustics on melancholy ballads such as ‘Again’. The guitar quartet on ‘The Comet, the Course, the Tail’ is unique also to Hammill’s solo career.

The songs are not as immediately arresting as previous albums and not as memorable. However there are still some great compositions as Hammill returns to themes of contemplative existentialism on ‘Faint-Heart and the Sermon’. Highlights of this song lyrically speaking include the poetic thought provoking; “My lungs suck useless air, like paraplegic dancers in formation team, my understanding sees high bound in its movements, contemplating answers that could break my bonds, to be half wrong would be in me improvement but my comprehensive faculties are impaired, and it seems absurd but now all I’ve learned are empty words are worthless…” The regal symphonic keyboard strings and odd time sigs on this are similar to the masterpiece album previous.

Hammill is at his best when let loose on manic apocalyptical epics such as the magnum opus of the album, ‘Gog Magog (In Bromine Chambers)’. This last piece clocks over 17 minutes and features grand guignol cathedral organ and gothic mayhem.  Many critics mention the ending of the track which is wildly experimental and not for the faint hearted. Hammill actually explains this in the liner notes: “I stuck Paul and Judge in the bathroom and fed them prepared and not-so-prepared tracks. Two passes of tape, I think...and then a lot of work. It didn't seem that odd to me to stick concrete stuff like this together with, say, Ferret. The rules are the same: tension and release. Use of accident, captured on tape. The sproing (for want of a better term) sound which occurs at the end (and is the release of tension) was, for instance, a once and once only effect of hitting on the button of the bass compressor. As if you needed to know that. Such accidents are strewn all over these recordings and contribute, I think, both to their charm and to their other-worldly menace.

The last half of the song is musique concrete with harrowing blasts of frenetic dissonance, thunder claps of percussion. The track is certainly as weird as Hammill gets and is mainly avant-garde experimentation for the sake of it and perhaps could have done with some trimming. However it is a departure from the rest of the material on the album and stands out as a conversation piece in the same vein as The Beatles ‘Revolution 9’. Hammill manipulates various snippets of audio tape to create a sound collage of dark and disturbing nightmares. It is a fascinating montage of effects and creates a hellish disturbia similar to the work of Scott Walker or vintage Can. It is perhaps as dark as the artist gets and it lasts for over 7 minutes. It is hard to consume after an initial listen but it ends the album off nicely that was rather subdued to this point. Hammill once again demonstrates his power as an artist who refuses to be pigeon holed into any one genre style and whose creative vision is unsurpassed.

Harakka Bialoipokku (aka B The Magpie)
Pekka Pohjola

Pekka Pohjola Harakka Bialoipokku (aka B The Magpie) album cover

A review by Finnforest:

A sweet musical story about a bird (and life)

Here is an album so thoroughly enchanting that it belongs in an "overlooked and obscure gems" feature if not there already. With his second album the late Pekka Pohjola has proven himself to be a few levels higher than I had previously given him credit for. Recorded in Stockholm in the autumn of 1974, this is the story of a little bird named Bialoipokku-a concept album about his adventures told completely without words or vocals of any kind, again proving that instrumental music can be all encompassing. Our little Magpie is born into a peaceful forest only to find out life is not easy street. "On that morning, or maybe a little bit earlier, as the sun was just opening his big eyes, a miracle happened in the small wood. A tiny magpie broke the shell of his small, strange, greenish egg. The miracle was Bialoipokku." [liner notes story excerpt]

The music of "Harakka Bialoipokku" is categorized as jazz yet this is not the difficult or abstract jazz practiced by some of her artists. This is an instantly accessible and melodic musical story that can be enjoyed by any music lover, whether or not they consider themselves a jazz fan. The sounds on the album are almost exclusively the creation of Pohjola's piano and bass, along with fantastic saxophone and percussion. There is almost no electric guitar and I tell you with a straight face, you will barely notice the absence. The musical story is absolutely rich, full bodied, and varied. The composition is always interesting and melodic, dramatic and then subtle, full of conflict and great beauty. Gnosis' Sjef Oellers sums it up like this: "The second album continues on the ideas presented on the debut album, but in a slightly more mature way. The fusion/jazz rock element is maybe even stronger on Harakka Bialoipokku than on his first album, but there are still symphonic/classical references and Zappa-like arrangements for brass. Piano and saxophone play a very prominent role on this album. Some of the tracks recall a more sparse and melodic Samla Mammas Manna."

Personally I love the many piano and e-piano passages that are gentle and whimsical, along with the piccolo, used to help you visualize the mood and exploits of this little bird. When the clouds get dark and he faces adversities the musical mood gets harder-edged with sometimes abrasive sax cuts. But the songs never get unnecessarily cluttered and that is Pohjola's real gift here: really nicely layered arrangements that seem to spotlight individual performances perfectly while still maintaining a band sound.

I found the bright edge of this music, with the bass/piano lead reminded me occasionally of parts of Cat Stevens' "Foreigner" album which has those same punchy accents. The contrast between the heavy, somber, almost Floydian brooding that begins "Huono Saa" and the light-hearting marching that ends it is masterful. And my personal favorite "Ja Nakee Unta" which to me is a perfect musical interpretation of flight. You will also find a few great jams here with Pekka's driving base flourishes challenged by heated sax wailings and tight drumming-he is playing the bass guitar as a lead instrument on much of this album. By the time you get to Coste Apetrea's delicious electric guitar solo in "Sekoilu Seestyy" you will lament the fact that he was not used more often. On the other hand there are plenty of guitar albums out there and the light, nimble focus here was surely part of the grand design. My single complaint with this album is the rather unremarkable ending, which sticks out like a sore thumb after all of the perfect little victories preceding it. "And a strange peace came over the little magpie, the only memory of his dream were the blisters on his yellow toes. "It's the end..for some time," he said."

Ultimately this album is a celebration of life and the joy of being alive, all expressed without one word of silly spiritual gobblygook-proof again that language/lyrics are not a necessary component of great music. Be sure to get the more recent Japanese cd edition which features splendid remastered sound, and a lovely recreation of the outstanding cover art in mini-lp sleeve.

Köhntarkösz
Magma

Magma Köhntarkösz album cover

A review by Warthur:

Occupying a compromise position between Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh and Wurdah Itah - it takes the full instrumentation of MDK and combines it with the stripped-down vocal performance of Wurdah Itah - Kohntarkosz does not quite have the apocalyptic majesty of the former or the stark ritualism of the latter. But it is still a strong Magma album with a great epic track that builds up to a ferocious climax, as well as a couple of shorter pieces - a peaceful John Coltrane tribute and Jannick Top's urgent and electrifying Ork Alarm.

On the whole, if you're already hooked on Zeuhl you will doubtless want this album, and enough fusion returns to the formula that it might make an interesting entry point for those who are particularly keen on the wildest forms jazz-rock might take.

A review by Ivan_Melgar_M:

I began to listen MAGMA a few months ago, and to be honest I never cared for Zeuhl before this, but there's something in the pompous, arrogant and self indulgent music of the French band that makes me come again to their albums over and over and what is worst (for my pocket) to buy all their albums, like an addiction I can't explain.

Lets start saying something that falls by it own weight...."Köhntarkösz" is a weird album not for everybody, any listener who wants to get into this album, or better said allow the music to get into him/her, needs to like pompous and strong music, with few but complex vocal sections in Kobaian (A language invented by Christian Vander to sing in the MAGMA ALBUMS) and of course the mysterious chorus that seems like a combination between the sacred and the pagan, but if you achieve this, the experience is rewarding.

One first recommendation is to buy the Seventh Records CD version and not any other, because you get "Köhntarkösz" parts I and II as a 30 minutes super epic, only separate originally due to the limitations of the Vinyl format. "Köhntarkösz" opens the album with the unusual (even for MAGMA), Psyche Space intro that reminds me of PINK FLOYD, but the real deal comes after a few minutes, when the organ starts adding an incredibly portentous section as a theme for an epic movie in the vein of Ben Hur, and the dark male chorus blending with the haunting female ones create a terrifying atmosphere that keeps the listener awaiting in expectation for a sonic blast that never happens. As a fact, the track keeps getting even more complex with unexpected piano interruptions that instead of bringing calm, contribute to the magical chaos so characteristic of MAGMA. Even when there are no dramatic changes, the collision of styles happen so gradually that they sound natural and not forced; simply brilliant.

If "Köhntarkösz" Part I was strong and haunting, part II is a radical change, the chorus are relaxing and softer, some Jazz passages appear out of nowhere, still the haunting atmosphere is kept by the keys and soft drumming, this time it’s less claustrophobic. But my changed part is yet to come, around the 5th minute (or 20th if we take "Köhntarkösz" as a whole track), the music gets faster and explosive with a desperate and repetitive chorus that goes in crescendo both in volume and speed until it breaks into an absolutely dissonant Jazzy section that no Avant band could envy................But even when Jazz or Avant are not my cup of tea, I love this, don't ask me why but it’s fabulous like getting trapped in a close space but enjoying that fear.

This chaotic section keeps increasing and then in an undetermined moment and for no reason, starts to fade, simply beautiful, elaborate and perfectly structured, 30 minutes of pure Progressive Rock in it's more complex facet. If this 30 minutes weren't enough "Ork Alarm" hits us with a semi Gregorian Choir in the vein of 666 by APHRODITE'S CHILD, the unusual violin passages are absolutely frightening and after them, everything starts again; absolutely brilliant.

"Köhntarkösz Version 2" again starts with a spacey intro and after that you can expect almost anything, the confusing and frenetic lyrics by Vander are almost hypnotic, but I won't make a detailed review of this track because it's not in the original album, but most important because It's hard to describe all that happens here in simple and limited words.

As it may be obvious for everybody "Coltrane Sündïa" (Coltrane Rest in Peace) is a tribute to John Coltrane, a gorgeous and exquisite piano performance, that seems a bit odd on this album, because it is a collision with the almost paranoic and clearly mystic "Köhntarkösz" atmosphere, but serves as a relaxer after all those weird songs.

Maybe if the album had more variations, I would go with 5 stars, but it's a bit too repetitive even when unpredictable (If you listen to the album, this phrase won't sound contradictory), so I will go with 4 very solid stars, which I consider an extremely high rating.

Pampered Menial
Pavlov's Dog

Pavlovs Dog Pampered Menial album cover

“Pampered Menial” by Pavlov's Dog features the unusual vocal technique of David Surkamp and highly innovative structures. Surkamp's vocals have a distinctive high soprano that vibrates at the top register, beyond tenor, and unlike even the high soprano technique of Rush's Geddy Lee.

'Julia' is operatic in style and a beautifully executed single that works well as a ballad; "I can't live without your love". The pathos and potency of the lyrics is Surkamp's forte, and he continues in form with the astounding 'Late November'. 'Subway Sue' is also excellent and features brilliant keyboards from David Hamilton and Scorfina's guitar rings throughout. Another track of note is 'Of Once and Future Kings' with its time signature changes and incredible blend of instruments.

It is impossible to emulate the sound of this band and for that reason alone they are worthy additions to any prog collection. This is a very unique album from a very unique band; their sophomore album.

A review by Sean Trane:

One of those very cherished debut album and certainly a real pearl in the Archives, Pavlov's debut is one of those records that almost everyone should have, be they progheads or not. Out of the blue, the US Midwest actually pulled two real surprises as in the heartland of Country Rock, and Country-western, came Kansas and this completely unexpected Pavlov's Dog. Needless to say that Surkamp's incredible voice is the main asset, but it is hardly the only one. This is an album laced with loads of keyboards of every kind, but although the main feature, they never suffocate the music even if the mellotrons are mixed-in very LOUD. Don't look for long epics on this slice of vinyl, as the longest track is just above the 5 min track (actually the record is fairly short, clocking in at less than 34 mins), but Surkamp's histrionics on vocals coupled with lush mellotron waves, underlined by a cool violin and Hamilton's organs, synths and pianos, provide all the necessary drama a proghead is searching for.

This is maybe one of the most accomplished songwriting efforts as there is so much happening on the different songs that you could not fit one more note without overflowing the bucket - well they are 7 in P'sD - and destroy the fragile beauty of this album. Most of you have heard Julia, but as you go down the rest of the album, there should at least be two more tracks every proghead above 35, will have heard: Surkamp's voice almost resembling Grace Slick in the Jefferson Starship (and believe me this is one hell of a compliment) in Late November, and the violin/mellotron/guitar short duel in Song Dance should ring a bell, too. But all is not perfect on the album as I find that the pure RnR number Natchez Trace has a strange but not entirely convincing mellotron overdose (except in the middle break). One of the other slight remarks I have, is that the quick succession of those relatively short tracks is rather diluting the contents a bit, as I would've rather they exploit some tracks/ideas to the fullest, something they only seem to achieve on Preludin/Of Once And Future Kings duo (7 min combined), but by that time, the record is almost over! Frustrating is it not?

The following album At The Sound Of The Bell is usually also very appreciated by progheads, but my opinion is that it does not come to the waist-height of this one, and if it was not for the two lengthier tracks (both just above the 5 min mark too) and Bill Bruford's guest appearance, it would not even reach ankle-height. Back to this album though, I always wondered if this album did not have loads of mellotrons, would it be so much appreciated by us progheads? Not that sure!!! But there are plenty of shivers on this album.

A review by Warthur:

OK, granted, Pampered Menial probably sounded dated even when it came out, back in 1974 - aside from some synth work from David Hamilton, this sounds like it could have come out four or five years earlier on the psych/proto-prog scene. Granted, it's not exactly hugely proggy, mainly adding a prog twist to power ballads. But when the music's this gorgeous I just... don't... care. Pampered Menial is a powerful album which features the exceptional voice of David Surkamp - who's compared to Geddy Lee and is certainly similarly high-pitched, but has a bit more of an operatic style to his vocals - and excellent musicianship from the rest of the band.

From Steve Scorfina's hard rock lead guitar to the more prog-tastic contributions of violinist Siegfried Carver and Mellotron/flute wiz Doug Rayburn, this is one of the most emotionally moving albums you're likely to find. The band expertly decide when a composition calls for some prog complexity, when a bit of hard rock rawness would help, and when the song needs to be stripped down to just a few instruments and Surkamp's wonderful voice. Though the rest of their career didn't exactly set the world on fire, Pavlov's Dog can be satisfied just with this one masterpiece. Brilliant. 

Tilt - Immagini Per Un Orecchio
Arti e Mestieri

Arti e Mestieri Tilt - Immagini Per Un Orecchio album cover

Arti E Mestieri are an obscure band from Italy who focus on jazz rock fusion unlike many other Italian prog artists. Their debut primarily is an instrumental with moments of Italian singing. The title of the album is “Tilt: Immagini Per Un Orecchio", and this is translated as "Images For An Ear" which seems approproiate. The tracks blend together beautifully in places, such as the stunning ‘Strips’, ‘Corrosione’ and ‘Positivo / Negativo’, and jump wildly about with odd time sigs and virtuoso musicianship. At other times, on tracks like ‘In Cammino’ the sound becomes rather subdued and tranquil.

The band are consummate professionals at their craft consisting of Furio Chirico on drums, Beppe Crovella on acoustic and electric pianos, synths, mellotron, Hammond organ, Marco Gallesi on bass, Gigi Venegoni on guitar, synthetizers, Giovanni Vigliar on violin and Arturo Vitale on soprano and baritone saxes, clarinets, and vibraphone. Vitale’s sax work on ‘In Cammino’ is an incredible tour de force and of note also is the guitar lead break of Venegoni. This track is a definitive highlight along with the spine tingling opener ‘Gravità 9,81’.

‘Articolazioni’, the mini epic that takes up most of side 2, features vocals along with ‘Strips’, the only occasions, and these are rather a nice break from all the musicality. This track features stunning clarinet and some very heavy passages mixed with moments of peaceful serenity. These dark and light sections are balanced perfectly with the amazing drumming skills of Chirico. The time sigs are everchanging and it even locks into a 6/8 rhythm and beautiful vibraphones are heard from Vitale. Vigliar’s violin is absolutely gorgeous and sings sweetly in the melancholy soundscape. This really is a masterpiece track with some of the finest musical structures in the 70s golden era of prog.

Overall, Arti E Mestieri’s debut is a lost classic in Italian prog and really deserves more recognition. The music is similar to Mahavishnu Orchestra and at times just as astonishing in terms of virtuosity. There is never a dull moment and it is packed solid with inventive musicianship and creativity.

Hero And Heroine
Strawbs

Strawbs Hero And Heroine album cover

A review by SouthSideoftheSky:

Strawbs' finest hour

This beautiful album is a perfect blend of Prog Folk and Symphonic Prog. The whole album works as a suite as the songs more or less flow into each other which makes the whole greater than the sum of the parts. The melodies are gorgeous and the lead vocals and lyrics of Dave Cousins are deeply moving and often haunting.

The music of “Hero And Heroine” is romantic, emotional and reflective but at the same time also rocking. It very successfully combines the different sides of the band: the folky side, the hard rocking side and the progressive, symphonic side. The combination of acoustic instruments like acoustic guitars, piano, harmonica (uncredited), flute (uncredited and very discrete) drums and percussion, as well as lovely harmony vocals, on the one hand, and electric guitars, various keyboards and bass guitar, on the other hand, is very effective. The keyboards are played by John Hawken and include electric piano, organ, mellotron and synthesisers. All this creates a very full and powerful yet beautiful sound without ever sounding bombastic. It feels very genuine.

In my view this is the ultimate line-up of the band with Cousins on vocals and guitars, Dave Lambert on guitars, Hawken on keyboards, Chas Cronk on bass and Rod Coombes on drums, and “Hero And Heroine” is their finest hour.

It is difficult to compete with Jethro Tull's “Thick As A Brick”, but “Hero And Heroine” is one of the best albums in the Prog Folk genre and a masterpiece of progressive Folk rock.

One of my favourite albums!

A review by Warthur:

Despite occasional pastoral lyrics and instrumental passages, Hero and Heroine by and large sees the Strawbs moving away from the acoustic prog folk of earlier albums into lush symphonic prog drowning in Mellotron. The new direction was in part a consequence of new members joining the band, and is particularly on display on the opening three-part epic "Autumn", which contrasts dreamy summer idylls with cold winter yearning. Another particularly good pick is the title track, which offers some characteristically direct and cutting lyrics from Dave Cousins (backing away from the more oblique lyrics of Bursting at the Seams) with an energetic musical backing. On the whole, the album is as cohesive and as compelling as the excellent Grave New World, netting the Strawbs the second peak of their career.

Il Tempo Della Gioia 
Quella Vecchia Locanda

Quella Vecchia Locanda Il Tempo Della Gioia  album cover

A review by Finnforest:

The epitome of the Italian genre?

There is so much great Italian prog that I'm always raving about it only to be asked by others where to start. Then it becomes very hard to think of one album that captures all of the many wonderful and unique aspects of the classic Italian album. This would have to be one of the top candidates to suggest to someone as an essential Italian album and one that covers most of the traits that make them special: creative songwriting fusing the rock, classical, and jazz genres; immaculate production with great attention to recording details; exceptional use of violins, flutes, and other classical elements; warm and passionate Italian vocals; and perhaps most importantly an unabashed willingness to project a most romantic style of music. Some will say that the Italian stuff can't compare to the best English or German music but I disagree. True, the big groups from those other countries achieved far great commercial success but does that necessarily mean they are better? Or perhaps just different, with the luxury of more access and distribution that has allowed them to be more ingrained in our minds as the standard bearers of quality prog? The sheer beauty of "Il Tempo Della Gioia" would suggest it has a place amongst the greatest prog titles from anywhere in my humble opinion.

The album opens with a sweeping and gorgeous piano melody in ‘Villa Doria Pamphili’ joined by acoustic guitar and violin. Achingly beautiful. The vocals begin and are very good by any standards. At 2:30 there is an unexpected crescendo. Then after another verse the song ends with such a wistful, haunting piano. What an opener!

‘A Forma Di’ begins softly with building violin and then flute and piano, the violins being tense and nervous while the other instruments are contrasted by a sense of calm. Around halfway we get some wordless vocals in a choir form. Then what I believe is a harpsichord adds an elegant feel before the song fades out.

The title track is next with vocals right away proceeding into somewhat jazzy waters. We get some trippy keyboards and operatic sounding vocals. Bass and percussion provide a solid backdrop here and we get a small taste of some nice guitar. The last part of the song begins to sound like an Italian version of Relayer's ‘Sound Chaser’. But make no mistake, this band was not trying to mimic Yes or Genesis or Floyd, they made their own sound with this release.

‘Un Giorno Un Amico’ features some fiery violin playing in the first half of this near 10 minute prog gem. If you're waiting for things to get conventional, they won't. This track is just about exploration and emotion. After some vocals the second half opens up more space for some nice solos from several instruments. Again the combination of jazz/rock and classical elements is seamless. The sound quality is pretty decent for '74.

‘E Accaduto una Notte’ begins with choral voices, flutes, and acoustics before the lead vocal begins, accompanied by piano and distinct bass. The mood gets decidedly dark as the strings and piano take on a sinister tone. The album ends with a trippy build-up to an explosion of some type. So much for the happy ending! It is true as some have noted that QVL was "ending challenged." Many of their songs just stop abruptly or in some unimaginative way but for me it just can't negate all the things they do right.

The Japanese mini lp-sleeve features incredible sound and a perfect reproduction of one of the most amazing gatefolds I've ever seen. A deliciously abstract painting graces the outside while the inside art would suggest maybe a romantic road trip spent writing music among other things? How should I know, just a guess! Whatever the point of the art, it works magically with the music to convey the feeling that these were men reveling in a most creative and heady time in their lives.

An essential title for a collection desiring any exposure to the Italian scene, the masterpiece of QVL, and also recommended to fans of classical music. Their debut may be more rocking and accessible, but this one is where the real magic is! 4 ½ stars rounding up on this one.

Biglietto Per L'Inferno
Biglietto Per L'Inferno

Biglietto Per LInferno Biglietto Per LInferno album cover 

A review by Finnforest:

Biglietto Per L'Inferno came from Lecco Italy in the early 70s and are most known for this collection on the heavier side of Italian prog. They employed dual keyboards here along with acoustic and electric guitars, flute, bass, drums and vocals with an Ian Gillan edge. While I don't speak Italian I have read repeatedly that the lyrics on this album are impressive. Many people consider this one of the very best Italian titles and I can't say I agree. I do like this but at the compositional level I feel there are better choices out there. The sound quality is often savaged by reviewers and while it is poor by today's standard it is certainly listenable; I've heard much worse. If you love Italian prog don't let the sound quality criticism stop you if the album sounds to your taste. The BTF reissue is high quality as usual with a gatefold mini-lp sleeve and a booklet with band history and lyrics.

‘Ansia’ begins with a stoic sounding acoustic guitar over very light keys, the bass joining shortly as the pace picks up. The drums and e guitar kick in for some brisk workout but it will alternate between lighter and heavier sections. The vocals come in very warm and placid for a brief appearance. The song is a nice introduction to the flavors the group will pursue in the longer songs. It doesn't take long into ‘Confessione’ before you realize why this band is placed on the "harder" side of Italian prog as they quickly launch into some bombastic power chord chugging which were heavy in a Deep Purple sense at that time, but of course compared to today's metal bands it is really quite tame. Everything is kicked up a notch here, the vocals get much more dramatic and operatic, we get some down and dirty electric leads and some wild flute passages. This track is varied and rocking.

‘Una Strana Regina’ begins with lovely piano that switches to keys over bass before some gentle vocals begin. By the middle it has heated up fiercely but again the shifts to mellow passages occur as with a light switch that they keep flipping on and off. There is a nice dreamy guitar solo around the 5 minute mark that morphs into a festive foot-stamping section until the end. ‘Il Nevare’ almost parodies the style of loud to soft again and to me this approach has become a bit of a distraction. I love albums with variety but I'd prefer them to take some time building from one extreme to the other, whereas Biglietto sometimes seems so fast and arbitrary in their slow/fast/soft/heavy zig zagging.

‘L'Amico Suicida’ is the big kettle of fish here at over 13 minutes. Beginning with a brooding heaviness featuring sound effects, synths, acoustic, and tom-toms the first two minutes are very effective. This track is by far the most impressive to me as they stretch out and explore some middle ground, filled with tasteful drumming, nice electric guitar flurries, emotional vocals, and excellent keyboard work. The keyboards and flutes are not flashy solo type affairs but are simply creating the background moods. The song finishes with nice dramatic flair.

The BTF reissue CD then has a reprise of ‘Confessione’, I'm not sure if this was on the original album or not. Certainly a recommended title for Italian fans shooting for a deep collection but not an essential title for others. I think this is good but just not among the very best Italian titles. 3 ½.

Todd Rundgren's Utopia
Utopia

Utopia Todd Rundgrens Utopia album cover

A review by Mellotron Storm:

I just can't get past the fact that this sounds like a pop singer getting a band together and doing a paint by the numbers Prog album. It's not fair to say that perhaps, but to my ears that's what this sounds like. I am a fan of Todd Rundgren and I'm not sure if he did a Prog record just because it was "in" at the time, or maybe he liked this style of music? Motives aside I just think this album comes off a little messy, but the main thing for me is that I just don't enjoy it very much.

‘Utopia Theme’ is fairly bombastic to start. Lots of synths and drums 3 1/2 minutes in. It settles and the crowd cheers. Vocals follow. Some nice guitar before 9 1/2 minutes. I like the way it ends too with the drums and guitar leading the way. Great tune. ‘Freak Parade’ has a good intro. Mellow guitar a minute in. Not a fan of this though. Piano joins in. A change after 3 minutes and vocals come in late. ‘Freedom Fighters’ is a short vocal track that reminds me of Steve Hillage for some reason.

‘The Ikon’ is the over 30 minute closer. It's energetic and bombastic to start. Keyboards lead 3 1/2 minutes in and the vocals join in again reminding me of Hillage. Not a fan of the vocals 9 minutes in where they sound different. Lots of synths before 14 minutes, then it settles as synths continue.Vocals are back after 17 minutes. It picks back up with guitar 23 1/2 minutes in then settles again as contrasts continue. Most Prog fans rate this highly, and while I respect the love that is out there for this album, it does little for me. 

A review by Sean Trane:

After the Nazz's demise, Rundgren started a production career and recorded a few highly rated solo albums (of which Runt is clearly the best-appreciated) and in 74, he started his own band that will last until the decade turned over. A rather surprising move from one of the best-known pop-rock icons of the US. And this album is no-half hearted attempt at a progressive gimmick, quite on the contrary, and we get an album load of prog (some minutes in total). Although future albums will lack the same impetus, drive and enthusiasm.

It is clear that Todd had heard Yes when playing the 14 min+ plus opener, Utopia, but the influences are not overpowering. The track was recorded live and perfectly executed. The sound is quite "full" - this is a sextet with two KB players - this reminds you (a bit too much for my comfort) of a lesser-convincing Yes at its best. The second track, Freak Parade (10 min interrupted in its middle section by a freaky passage) is more in the vein of Gentle Giant, but less enthralling, mostly due to a boring and needless bass outro that last way too long.

Unfortunately the second side of the vinyl, starts with the thankfully short and sadly insipid Freedom Fighter (so this is where Dubya got his inspiration or his Utopian stupidity ;-) and it was most likely the attempt at a single but its very average FM rock sound. But this is quickly forgotten as the monster Ikon is a clever attempt at mix Yes, GG with some jazzy-funk-rock ala Edgar Winter Band (or his earlier White Trash - some passages anyway, listen for yourself), with its bizarre sound reminding you of Frankenstein especially on the Parade track. Note that another time when those two meet again (but not through influences, that time) is Meatloaf's awesome Bat Out Of Hell debut album. But I am getting sidetracked from this record, but not uselessly, because this album is a real mix of UK prog done Stateside and its slicker American recording industry, and with Kansas and Starcastle, you are very close at how this album sounds. One of the most irritating things for me, though is those precise synths used by the twins KB attack: they sound like synths like the ones from that dreaded 80's decade, crappy, cheap and only the playing on the instruments well made the differences. And it is certainly the case in this album; although one must remember that they were two of them players, which makes it a lot less impressive compared to their UK counterparts.

Nevertheless this album will be a bit of an almost-logical UFO in this utopic discography, clearly their more progressive in a symphonic kind of way. Not sure I would call this a masterpiece but it is certainly one of the most notable US prog of the 70's. This album is mainly getting the occasional spin every two years or so (this was one time, although another spin was necessary for a proper review) on this proghead's turntable that has known thousands of records since it came out in his early teens. Just another good prog record.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 03 2012 at 23:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 21>