Pain Of Salvation - Entropia CD (album) cover

ENTROPIA

Pain Of Salvation

Norbert
5 stars The good old times. When Pain of Salvation and mostly Daniel Gildenl÷w was busy with writing quality progressive metal music with interesting lyrics, without foul language and embarassingly weak criticism of modern life. This is the first in the serie of 5 marvellous studio albums, and it is about as good as a prog metal debut can get. In my opinion there are less Dream Theater influences than in the work of other latter day prog metal bands. I hear more influences of Queensryche and Faith No More. With all this Pain of Salvation had their own personality on their debut, with a rather strong funky vibe, which is quite uncommon among bands in this field, and it remains the only funky album in the catalogue of Pain of Salvation. The line up contains another Daniel here, Daniel Magdic was the second guitarist on Entropia. I sometimes regret his departure, because I think he made good contributions to the band's music, both as a player, both as a songwriter. I think all 13 tracks have a well deserved place here, the short pieces do a very good job as interludes. The songs are actually quite diverse, there are thunderous metal pieces,like !, To the End(with a jazzy passage!), and the funny sounding Stress. There are beautiful quiet songs like Oblivion Ocean and Leaving Entropia, which I consider an unusual, but very good way to end a great prog metal album. Winning a war and People passing by contain basically everything what is great about Pain of Salvation. Both are bona fide classics of the band, featuring wonderful vocals, interesting rythms on drums and bass, good guitar playing, and great atmoshere. Maybe keyboard player Fredrik Hermansson is a bit too much in the background on Entropia(he will have more role on later albums), but this is not a big flaw, I think. To this day Entropia has remained a very enjoyable listening experience. It was not my first Pain of Salvation album, but in my opinion it is not a bad idea to go in chronological order with PoS albums. Of course, in the current state of things you'd better stop with Be. For me the debut of Pain of Salvation is an essential listening, so can't give less than 5 stars to it.
Norbert | 5/5 |