BUDGIE

rock music collection

Buy BUDGIE Music
Studio Album, released in 1971

1. Guts (4:20)
2. Everthing In My Heart (0:52)
3. The Author (6:28)
4. Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman (8:41)
5. Rape Of The Locks (6:12)
6. All Night Petrol (5:57)
7. You And I (1:41)
8. Homicidal Suicidal (6:41)

Total time 40:52

Bonus Tracks on 2004 remaster:
9. Crash Course In Brain Surgery (Alternate Mix) (2:36)
10. Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman (Single Edit) (4:08)
11. Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman (2003 rehearsal version) (3:45)
12. Guts (2003 rehearsal version) (3:53)

- Tony Bourge / guitar (1-10)
- Burke Shelley / vocals, bass, Mellotron
- Raymond Phillips / percussion & drums (1-10)

With:
- Simon Lees / guitar (11,12)
- Steve Williams / drums (11,12)

Recorded live-in-studio

Artwork: David Sparling

LP MCA Records ‎- MKPS 2018 (1971, UK)
LP Noteworthy Productions ‎- NP21V (2014, UK)

CD Roadracer Records ‎- RRD 9309 (1991, US)
CD Noteworthy Productions ‎- NP2 (2004, UK) Remastered by Mike Brown & Robert Corich with 4 bonus tracks

Thanks to chrs stacey for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy BUDGIE Budgie Music

The Best Of BudgieThe Best Of Budgie
Extra tracks
Half Moon Uk 1999
$3.52
BANDOLIER by BUDGIE: 1975 U.K. Import Vinyl LPBANDOLIER by BUDGIE: 1975 U.K. Import Vinyl LP
MCA
Six Ton Budgie UnpluckedSix Ton Budgie Unplucked
Original recording · Studio
AXEL Vintap
Budgie - Live at the Marquee 1974 (LP)Budgie - Live at the Marquee 1974 (LP)
Atos 5076465580031
$37.95
Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-10-21)Live In Milwaukee 1978 by Budgie (2013-10-21)
On The Air
$62.68
Live In St. Louis 1976 by Budgie (2015-10-21)Live In St. Louis 1976 by Budgie (2015-10-21)
On The Air

Budgie - You're All Living in Cuckooland [New CD] USD $16.95 Buy It Now 8m 32s
BUDGIE (METAL) - IMPECKABLE [BONUS TRACKS] NEW CD USD $18.54 Buy It Now 44m 48s
Budgie - Nightflight [New CD] Bonus Tracks USD $17.22 Buy It Now 1h 8m
THE CREATURES. FURY EYES. 12" VINYL SINGLE. SHEP18 SIOUXSIE & BUDGIE USD $24.83 [0 bids]
THE CREATURES. RIGHT NOW. 12" VINYL SINGLE. SHEX2. WONDERLAND. SIOUXSIE USD $24.83 [0 bids]
BUDGIE ~ DELIVER US FROM EVIL ~1993 CD ~ REPERTOIRE RECORDS -REP 4335 WZ *RARE* USD $18.62 [0 bids]
OZZY OSBOURNE SIGNED CARD + FLYER + TICKET STUB[OZZY+ BUDGIE] RARE ITEM 1982 USD $99.36 [0 bids]
Budgie - If I Were Brittania I'd Waive the Rules [New CD] Bonus Tracks, Rmst USD $15.28 Buy It Now 3h 11m
budgie the best of cd USD $3.10 [0 bids]
THE SLITS Typical Girls UK 1979 ISLAND 4 track ORIGINAL 12" budgie ep oop RARE! USD $99.00 Buy It Now 4h 47m
BUDGIE - Keeping A Rendezvous/Apparatus (7") (Picture Disc) (VG+/NM) USD $18.62 Buy It Now 4h 50m
DIAMOND HEAD / BUDGIE - UK TOUR DATES 1983 - original advert fridge magnet USD $2.47 Buy It Now 4h 55m
DIAMOND HEAD / BUDGIE - UK TOUR DATES 1983 - original advert fridge magnet USD $3.71 Buy It Now 4h 55m
PROMO 1975 EXCELLENT+Budgie ?- I Ain't No Mountain MCA-40367 45 USD $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
PROMO MEGARARE 1972 VERY GOOD++Budgie ?- Whiskey River / Stranded 2185 45 USD $21.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
PROMO 1971 MINT-EXC+Budgie- Crash Course/Nude Disintergating Parachutist Woman45 USD $31.99 Buy It Now 5h 6m
BUDGIE - If I Were Brittania I'd Waive the Rules (1st US Issue on A USD $34.99 Buy It Now 6h 26m
BUDGIE SP-4618 BANDOLIER USD $14.99 [0 bids]
USD $14.99 Buy It Now
BUDGIE ACT LP 1 POWER SUPPLY USD $12.99 [0 bids]
USD $17.99 Buy It Now
BUDGIE AMP-2015 IF I WERE BRITTANIA USD $14.99 [1 bids]
VA Television Personalities from Japan Trumpet Comp CD C86 Bridge Budgie Jacket USD $69.99 Buy It Now 9h 43m
BUDGIE Bandolier JAPAN CD WMC5-84 1990 OBI USD $162.11 Buy It Now 10h 10m
Budgie - Budgie - original black label MCA gatefold U.K. 12" LP vinyl RARE!! USD $117.00 Buy It Now 11h 55m
Budgie - Deliver Us From Evil - Cassette 1992 Made In Poland USD $11.31 Buy It Now 15h 46m
Budgie/Nightflight (Repertoire Records Repro 4306-WY) CD Album USD $37.60 Buy It Now 16h 33m
Budgie - Squawk (Vinyl) USD $94.38 Buy It Now 20h 7m
Budgie ?- IMPECKABLE CD In Jewel Case (+4 Pgs.Booklet) USD $9.40 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Budgie - Bandolier (Vinyl) USD $59.60 Buy It Now 21h 24m
VINTAGE MUSIC TICKET STUB SHEFFIELD OVAL CITY HALL 1976?? BUDGIE PLUS HOBO USD $12.42 [0 bids]
PROMO 1972 EXCELLENT+Budgie ?- Whisky River / GUTS MK 5085 45 USD $15.99 Buy It Now 21h 49m
'Best of Budgie' CD USD $18.62 Buy It Now 23h 2m
THE CREATURES Interview PROMO DJ CD w/ SIOUXSIE SIOUX & the Banshees & BUDGIE USD $34.99 Buy It Now 23h 20m
1ST PRESSING Budgie Nightflight - EX UK vinyl LP album record RCALP6003 RCA 1981 USD $49.68 Buy It Now 1 day
Vinyl Record Album BUDGIE NIGHTFLIGHT (190)51 USD $10.27 [8 bids]
BUDGIE - THE MCA ALBUMS 1973-1975 (3CD BOX) 3 CD NEW+ USD $30.10 Buy It Now 1 day
Siouxsie Sioux & Budgie UNSIGNED photograph - L6901 - The Creatures - NEW IMAGE USD $3.71 Buy It Now 1 day
Marquee Club February 1985 Flyer(Budgie/Magnum/Photos/Bangles/Chelsea/Lionheart) USD $9.94 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE IN FOR THE KILL 12" LP RECORD (7) USD $16.15 [6 bids]
Budgie the Helicopter CD NEW USD $17.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Vinyl Record Album BEST OF BUDGIE (190)35 USD $16.77 [8 bids]
ALCHEMIST & BUDGIE - GOOD BOOK II NEW CD USD $36.17 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - If I Were Britannia I'd Waive the Rules CD USD $17.37 [0 bids]
Vinyl Record Album BUDGIE IN FOR THE KILL! (190)54 USD $17.39 [10 bids]
BUDGIE - Impeckable LP (RARE 1st US Issue on A&M) USD $35.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - If I Were Brittania I'd Waive The Rules - LP - UK Version - Progressive USD $38.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie, Deliver Us From Evil, NM, RCALP 6054, Import - UK USD $7.50 [4 bids]
Budgie The MCA Albums 1973-1975 3 CD boxset new Bandolier In For Kill USD $31.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE S/T SAME / NM MINT- SUPERB COPY WITH OBI USD $299.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Joey The Budgie Rare 78 Queensway Recording Studios USD $37.25 [0 bids]
BUDGIE - Power Supply - CD - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** - RARE USD $55.49 Buy It Now 1 day
PROMO WHITE LABEL / BUDGIE BANDOLIER USD $99.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie-The MCA Albums 1973 - 1975 CD NEW USD $21.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie-The MCA Albums 1973 - 1975 CD NEW USD $23.65 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE Best Of CD Japan 10 tracks Metalmania Cube 18DN-39 USD $11.49 [3 bids]
Budgie - Deliver Us From Evil LP USD $17.37 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie Bandolier Metal Mind Productions Ltd Edition 0146 Of 2000 New And Sealed USD $49.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie In For The Kill Metal Mind Ltd Edition 0428 Of 2000 New And Sealed. USD $49.67 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - Best Of The (1997) CD Album USD $6.20 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie Nightflight - EX UK vinyl LP album record RCALP6003 RCA 1981 USD $45.58 Buy It Now 1 day
We Found a Lovebird-We Found a Lovebird CD NEW USD $14.43 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie - Best Of Budgie (NEW CD) USD $6.20 Buy It Now 1 day
BUDGIE Bored with Russia 7" PICTURE DISC RCA RCAP271 USD $4.46 Buy It Now 1 day
BBC RECORDINGS USD $21.72 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie Trust Iron Maiden Jackie Lynton Marillion Contact Details Reading '82 USD $14.62 Buy It Now 1 day
Budgie If I Were Britannia I'd Waive The Rules CASSETTE TAPE CAM68377 mis-spell USD $23.58 [0 bids]
LOVEBIRD - Self-Titled (2009) - CD - brand new factory sealed c1 USD $9.74 Buy It Now 2 days
VINYL LP - BUDGIE'S COUNTRY - SILVER ACE - HIL LP 1019 USD $11.17 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE - THE MCA ALBUMS 1973-1975 (3CD BOX) USD $12.41 [0 bids]
Budgie - Never Turn Your Back on a Friend [New Vinyl] UK - Import USD $30.62 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie Impeckable LP Vinyl 1978 A&M Records SP-4675/Stereo (SP-5087) USD $45.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie - Power Supply ACT LP 1 UK LP 1st Press 1980 Active USD $3.73 [1 bids]
BUDGIE (METAL) LIVE IN LOS ANGELES 1978 * NEW VINYL USD $31.89 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE (METAL) YOU'RE ALL LIVING IN CUCKOOLAND NEW VINYL USD $26.72 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE (METAL) IF SWALLOWED DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING NEW VINYL USD $21.06 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie - Never Turn Your Back (CD Used Very Good) USD $14.86 Buy It Now 2 days
If Swallowed.. -Remast-, Budgie, Audio CD, New, FREE & FAST Delivery USD $15.81 Buy It Now 2 days
If I Were Britannia I'd Waive the Rules, Budgie, Audio CD, New, FREE USD $22.06 Buy It Now 2 days
VARIOUS ARTISTS - BUDGIE LITTLE HELICOPTER NEW REGION 2 DVD USD $17.07 Buy It Now 2 days
Deliver Us From Evil BUDGIE LAT1161 Canada 1982 LP Vinyl Record Album MINT USD $24.70 [0 bids]
Nightflight ~ BUDGIE ~ RCALP 6003 1981 Vinyl Record Album NM USD $23.11 [0 bids]
Bandolier BUDGIE MCA MCF 2723 1st UK Release 1975 LP Vinyl Record Album NM USD $46.90 [0 bids]
JANN BROWNE louisville / lovebird 45 USD $3.49 Buy It Now 2 days
Power Supply BUDGIE RCA LP 3046 Vinyl Record Album 1980 NM USD $25.90 [0 bids]
If I Were Brittania I'd Change The Rules BUDGIE AMLH 68377 LP 1976 Record NM USD $25.10 [0 bids]
Budgie Power Supply UK vinyl LP album record ACTLP1 ACTIVE 1980 USD $33.16 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie-Never Turn Your Back On A Friend CD NEW USD $27.78 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie-Never Turn Your Back On A Friend CD NEW USD $25.10 Buy It Now 2 days
?? BUDGIE "SQUAWK" RARE reISSUE 2014 SEALED IMPORT LP NP22V NEW VINYL [email protected]@K ?? USD $49.95 Buy It Now 2 days
REMASTER BUDGIE Bandolier JAPAN MINI LP SHM CD USD $33.67 Buy It Now 2 days
Squawk [VINYL], Budgie, Vinyl, New, FREE & FAST Delivery USD $56.88 Buy It Now 2 days
Budgie 7" Picture Disc - Bored With Russia/Don't Cry USD $7.45 Buy It Now 2 days
BUDGIE - Never Turn Your Back On A Friend - Vinyl (gatefold LP) USD $30.99 Buy It Now 2 days

More places to buy BUDGIE music online Buy BUDGIE & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

BUDGIE Budgie ratings distribution

Essential: a masterpiece of rock music(24%)
Excellent addition to any rock music collection(53%)

BUDGIE Budgie reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
4 stars Ever sought a nude disintegrating parachutist woman? Look no further!

While Welsh heavy rock band Budgie were formed in 1967 (under the name Hills Contemporary Grass), it took until 1971 for the band to release their first album. The line up indicates that the trio add mellotron to their basic guitar/bass/drums set up, but do not be fooled by this; this is an album of guitar driven rock. Produced by Rodger Bain there is a distinct relationship with the sound with Black Sabbath, who he also produced. Other bands who have clearly influenced or been influenced by Budgie are the likes of Led Zeppelin and Rush. In the case of the latter, the vocals of Burke Shelley bear a passing resemblance with those of Geddy Lee.

"Budgie" was recorded on 8 track tape in only four days, and while some overdubbing was subsequently added, this is essentially a live in the studio affair. The sleeve notes advise us that the band are "not particularly subtle", and that "They're not progressive (whatever you understand that to mean)", but the track arrangements can belie such statements.

The album is essentially a succession of blues rock numbers with the occasional softer counterpoint. The opening "Guts" is a heavy riff infested song which sets the scene well for both this and future albums. We are though caught off guard by the delicate acoustic "Everything in my heart" which follows, even if it does run for just a minute. The mood appears to continue on "The author", but the initial reflective nature of the track is soon replaced by a more orthodox heavy rock number.

It is though "Nude disintegrating parachutist woman" (what a wonderful title, it does actually feature in the lyrics!) which offers the first taste of the real Budgie. This superb 8 minute romp takes us through an altogether more adventurous arrangement. The lead guitar here is the highlight of the track, but the driving nature of the song combined with a genuine raw excitement, make for a compelling piece of early metal.

"Rape of the locks" is the first of three 6 minute pieces which make up side 2, the song featuring another interesting arrangement of what is essentially a basic blues rock number. "All night petrol" slows things down slightly, sounding a bit like Led Zeppelin's "Lemon song" at times. The track features another fine lead guitar break, this time with some upfront complementary bass.

"You and I" is another brief acoustic number which sounds distinctly like a John Lennon demo. The album closes with "Homicidal suicidal", another Sabbs like riff infested blues rock piece.

Budgie's relationship with prog comes not from their raw guitar based sound, but from the relative complexity of the arrangements of songs such as "Nude disintegrating parachutist woman". This, combined with their willingness to occasionally reveal their softer side, offers an appealing diversity to what would otherwise be a straightforward guitar rock album. No one for the prog purists by any means, but those interested in discovering the roots of prog metal and those looking for some good old fashioned lead guitar magic should find much to enjoy here. Great sleeve too!

Review by Chris S
3 stars 1971....twas a good year..and it was too for the Welsh trio called Budgie, fronted by Burke Shelley on vocals and bass, Tony Bourge ala guitar and in this beginning period Ray Phillips doing the drums and percussion. The albums kicks off with the rockin plodder ' Guts'. It sets the tone for the trademark Budgie sound that followed for many years. ' Everything in My heart' is a short ballady interlude which they practiced in similar ways on follow up work. ' The Author ' is next and starts off as a slow bluesy song nicely tempered by Shelley's great voice and builds with some great straight forward rock like guitar riffs. If you have never heard Budgie but like early Rush then do yourself a favour and try this band out. They won't disappoint and consistently provided some great music over the next decade or so not least on this solid debut.

' Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman' is an eight minute guitar rock fest not disimilar to some Wishbone Ash material. Bourge highlighting his talents on the guitar. My personal favourite is ' Rape the Locks' which swerves all over the show with some great riffs and drumming from Phillips. ' You And I' is another short track setting a nice moody balance between the more energetic themes with tranquility. ' Homicidal Suicidal' closes the set with some great Shelley wails amidst blues and rock backdrops. Important note: Rodger Bain of Black Sabbath fame produces this album. A good start on the rock scene for Budgie, not necessarily high in progressive 'points' but a solid album to enjoy or even explore if you need an introduction to this interesting band from Wales,UK.

Review by Eetu Pellonpaa
3 stars The debut album of Welsh heavy trio smashed the ears of the early 1970's listeners pretty hard, I understood they had the most strongest sound of that time along with Black Sabbath. I have understood that these groups were considered as pioneers of the stoner rock sound: heavy repetitive metal riffs with pulsing groovy rhythm and long tracks with simple structure. Budgie's personal sound is built from Tony Bourge's acoustic electric guitar, which has very unclear and fuzzy sound. He plays very hard riffs and also great blues rock solos. Burke Shelley's bass guitar and wild and heavy drumming of Ray Phillips dominate the sound with volume, and though I like the sound texture I would wish the guitar being slightly more in front. When I learned myself to play bass guitar, I listened and learned over to these early Budige vinyls, as their melodic lines are pleasant but simple, and very audible on the instruments I tried to meditate. The vocals of the bass player are really funny, sounding like a woman or a young child. I think there is a similar contrast like in the band's name, Budgie representing a group which was very heavy rock in its time.

The song titles "Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman" represent the lyrical line: Jokes and quite poor though possibly sincere everyman's poetry. From the songs, the most best of them is in my opinion "The Author", combining a moody quiet acoustic beginning, which evolves in a pretty way to very aggressive stoner jamming. The starter "Guts" is also ok, building up from a simple chromatic riff. "Rape of The Locks" and "All Night Petrol" have some slightly irritating parts in them, but there are some interesting musical parts in them. The parachutists song is bit too long so it starts to sound boring after several plays, and the few ca. minute lasting folk tunes sound more like unfinished song ideas. The final song "Homicidal Suicidal" is then one of the best songs here, having very aggressive parts, double bass drums and fuzzy sound.

If you like other 1970's vintage heavy rock bands like Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, but have not heard yet Budgie, I would recommend their four or five first albums warmly. A taste for personal sounds and tolerance for extreme vocals are required.

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
3 stars Budgie's debut is a fun album from a fun band which makes for a generally fun listen. I think they have the honour of being the first hard-rock group ever that was influenced by Black Sabbath. 3000 others would follow.

The album is somewhat inconsistent and drags on a bit, but it has a number of competent heavy blues tracks that fans of Zeppelin and Black Sabbath shouldn't miss. Due to the high-pitched Plant squeal of Burke Shelley, the band also sounds like the later debut from Rush. The album starts strongly with Guts, a mix of Page guitars and Plant vocals with Butler bass and Ward drums. Originality wasn't the idea I guess. The delicate 50 seconds of Everything In My Heart has more personality then the tracks around it. More adequate Zep and Sab jamming follows on The Author, Nude Disintegrating etc... and Homicidal Suicidal.

This band hasn't all that much on offer and next to nothing proggy, but they might appeal to prog fans to whom the idea of a Black Zeppelin sounds alluring. In fact, I would nominate Budgie for being the first grunge band ever.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Budgie's debut album, with its high-pitched singing, fast playing, and one obligatory acoustic love song (You and I) might be confused for a standard early 70s hard rock release... except for the guitars. The sludgy, fuzz-drenched guitar line on opening song Guts makes it clear that here is a band that has been paying attention to Black Sabbath.

Whilst they're not as heavy as Sabbath was, it ought to be remembered that in 1971 *nobody* was as heavy as Sabbath was - and these boys come very, very close indeed. Generally playing at a fast tempo which would influence both the early New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands and Metallica, the group is also capable of slowing it down a bit to an almost doomy pace at points, as well as producing long, complex pieces such as Nude Disintegrating Parachute Woman and Homicidal Suicidal. Fans of early metal, stoner metal, and progressive metal will all find plenty to enjoy in this one.

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams
4 stars If you're serious about diving into the origins of heavy metal you will no doubt tackle the usual suspects such as Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, but in the early gestation years of the late 60s and the fully formed heavy rock bands that provided the antecedents of the greater metal universe, there were quite a few contenders that didn't quite attract the same level of success as the big three. The Cardiff, Wales based BUDGIE was one of the earliest such bands that was a seminal influence on the NWOBM scene that would emerge at the tail end if the 70s. While formed in 1967 under the less-than-metal moniker Hills Contemporary Grass, they changed their name to Six Ton Budgie before finally truncating it to the more known BUDGIE which is an informal term for 'budgerigar,' an Australian parakeet which would become their mascot. This power trio of Tony Bourge (guitar), Tony Shelley (bass, vocals, mellotron) and Ray Phillips (drums, percussion) chose this name as a diametrically opposing term in relation to their bombastic bluesy rock bravado.

While Black Sabbath was in 1971 the heaviest band in existence, BUDGIE wasn't too far behind. Their eponymous debut released the same year as 'Master Of Reality,' followed the trends of the more successful bands and could be generalized as heavy rock straddling in between the heavy Sabbath riffing with Led Zeppelin inspired compositional constructs as well as Shelley's Robert Plant inspired vocal style. The Sabbath inspired parts come to the forefront with the opener 'Guts' which is a little too close to Sabbath's own 'Hand Of Doom' which sounds like a good case for plagiarism to my ears but the album quickly drifts off into their own unique middle ground between the great Sabbath and Led Zep. Many have cited as BUDGIE being the first version of the Canadian band Rush since they are a power trio and deliver a tight and compelling band sound out of only three musicians. On this debut they do indeed have that heavy rock gusto that Rush would unleash on their first two pre-progressive albums. Likewise BUDGIE, while rooted in ballsy blues rock with a more bombastic approach, did engage in progressively tinged compositional constructs.

While BUDGIE may have borrowed a lot from Sabbath and Led Zep, they have also been the influencers as well with tracks like the whimsically titled 'Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman' a clear antecedent into Golden Earring's hit 'Radar Love' which also displays Shelley's unique bass slapping style with a little funk technique and heavy rock groove with Phillips pounding out the supporting percussive drive accompanied by Bourge's guitar antics. Very heavy stuff for 1971 indeed and progressive as it clocked in at 8:41 and meandered through a series of clever musical moves not common in the bluesy rock world of the day. 'Rape Of The Locks' allows Bourge to show off some of his guitar tricks with a series of flashy solos before erupting into a boogie rock style that would become the staple of bands such as ZZ Top in the coming years. Tracks like 'All Night Petrol' find Shelley doing his best Robert Plant vocal exercises but alongside a Sabbath inspired doom laden riff in a mid-tempo groove. 'You And I' shows a mellower side with a short acoustic ballad.

BUDGIE created a very interesting sound for sure and although they didn't quite have the over-the-top performance charisma that Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin delivered to the world, they provided a unique glimpse in between the musical sounds where those two bands existed. While parts of BUDGIE's debut are clearly inspired by certain tracks from their influences, somehow they polish it out with their own unique stamp. The blues oriented hard rock riffing is more akin to 60s bands like Cream with Sabbath overtones (due partly to Sabbath's producer Rodger Bain in the picture), but they crafted their compositions completely differently with more complex constructs that meandered into more unexpected territory. In other words less calculated and more free. While destined to be more of a footnote of history for providing the blueprints of heavy metal riffing that would be fully realized by bands like Metallica in the next decade, BUDGIE are well worth checking out in their own right. The synthesis of heavy rock with progressive touches makes this more than a historical artifact.

4 stars I adore this band, there is just something about the music that grabs me and holds tight although I can't really decipher what it is - I just go with the flow without trying to analyse the music and what it is that makes me a full on band fan. The vocals, to me, are what a Budgie would sound like ... (read more)

Report this review (#1020764) | Posted by sukmytoe | Tuesday, August 20, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Although not in the true sense of Progressive Rock, Budgie has been one of my favourite prog related acts for a while. This album is near and dear to my heart, with it's mix of Zeppelin styled vocals from Burke Shelley and fast, heavy almost sludge of Sababth mixed in. There are obvious blue ... (read more)

Report this review (#338364) | Posted by Jazzywoman | Monday, November 29, 2010 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of BUDGIE "Budgie"