STRUCTURES FROM SILENCE

Progressive Electronic

Steve Roach Structures From Silence  album cover

Buy STEVE ROACH Music
Studio Album, released in 1984

1. Reflections In Suspension (16:46)
2. Quiet Friend (13:23)
3. Structures From Silence (28:34)

- Steve Roach / All electronics and effects

PROJEKT119
Fortuna Records

Thanks to philippe for the addition

Buy STEVE ROACH Structures From Silence Music

Structures from SilenceStructures from Silence
Remastered
Projekt Records 2014
$16.96
Structures from SilenceStructures from Silence
Fortuna Records 1992
$9.52

More places to buy STEVE ROACH music online Buy STEVE ROACH & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

STEVE ROACH Structures From Silence ratings distribution

STEVE ROACH Structures From Silence reviews

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams
3 stars It's ok. I'm not thrilled by this but it's a pleasant enough listen. I've just heard much better progressive electronic that really gets me into it. This is a little tame and repetitive like yoga or massage music or something. If that's what you're looking for then you will like this a lot. For me, I prefer just a little more oompf even in my ambient music. Some of my favorite ambient music exists in not only artists like Tangerine Dream but also on the 5 disc series "From Here To Tranquility." There is more going on than just repetitive ambient structures. I don't remember which, but I have heard better even from Steve Roach himself.
Review by patrickq
1 stars I have a confession to make here: the expectations under which I purchased Structures from Silence impacted my initial opinion of it. In short, the album wasn't at all what I expected - - it was much less, in fact. I don't think that this impacts my review here, coming as it does more than ten years later, but it seems fair to mention that in researching artists whose music I might enjoy as much as the early period of my beloved Klaus Schulze, the name Steve Roach came up. And, in different, but overlapping research, I heard of the intriguing Steve Reich. At some point later I came across Structures from Silence on itunes. I gave it a quick preview, and made an impulse buy.

Oops.

My bad. The interestingly titled Structures from Silence turned out to be the most new-agey album I would ever listen to more than once. In and of itself, New Age music isn't bad, but as Schulze and others have proved, it is certainly possible to create long, evolving, non-virtuosic synthesizer pieces that are also challenging and rewarding to the listener.

Structures from Silence is, unfortunately, none of this. When he wanders a bit from an ordinary scale, Roach nonetheless leans toward resolutions in unsurprising, off-the-shelf chords. Most of the album seems to be built on regularly changing chords played on synthesizer pads - - and even if the chord progressions aren't always predictable, the structure is formulaic.

I can see where such regularity may be a positive quality to some listeners, and perhaps most. Indeed, Roach has many fans, many of whom are undoubtedly discerning. In my case, Structures from Silence is likely to be the only Steve Roach work I listen to closely. If his other works are significantly better, I'd argue that my rating of one star is appropriate insofar as such a rating indicates an album "for completionists."

Post a review of STEVE ROACH "Structures From Silence "