RESISTANCE

3. Stay Down (7:55)
4. Alampandria (3:48)
5. Shallow Bay (6:21)
6. If Anything (6:03)
7. For Another Lifetime (15:22)

CD 2 (55:39)
1. The Great Spirit Way (21:45)
2. Fire and Security (5:26)
3. Perfect Space (8:33)
4. Fallout (19:55)

- Peter Nicholls / lead & backing vocals
- Michael Holmes / guitars, producer
- Neil Durant / keyboards
- Tim Esau / bass, bass pedals
- Paul Cook / drums, percussion

Artwork: Tony Lythgoe

CDx2 Giant Electric Pea ‎- GEPCD1064 (2019, UK)

Thanks to mbzr48 for the addition
and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy IQ Resistance Music

ResistanceResistance
Giant Electric Pea 2019
$17.33

More places to buy IQ music online Buy IQ & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

IQ Resistance ratings distribution

IQ Resistance reviews

Review by friso
5 stars English neo-progressive rock spear-header IQ has been furthering the genre in the 21th century with much acclaim. Sound-wise the band hasn't changed much since ' The Seventh House', but on this album the band has finally revolutionized their composition style, arrangements and production. The symphonic layering by Neil Durant has this adult feel, reminding me of 'Tilt' era Scott Walker or 'Blackstar' era Bowie ' yet drenched in a Bladerunner like delicate sci-fi universe. Somehow this album sounds like a collaboration of the band IQ and... well a new 'force' that can look beyond its songs, its verses, its solo's and its refrains. Because of this 'force' the band has also given new meaning to the prog epic. On 'Resistance' a prog epic isn't just a multi- song. Don't take me wrong ' I really like a track like 'The Narrow Margin' ' but on this album the longer tracks really make sense from a songwriting point of view. Bare with me. Like a in a small song, where a bridge can add to strengthening the final refrain ' IQ manages to intelligently intervene and keep the song growing towards that final refrain. Furthermore, the first cd, which is 'the album', flows like a continues experience. Almost like a movie, including some modern cinematic sound-effects. What also becomes apparent after a few spins is the absence of leaning on catchy refrains, which gives the music a modern feel ' at times almost hinting at modern classical music.

Peter Nicholl's voice doesn't allow for much variation, but because of the distinctive atmospheres of the songs his performances do tick the box every time. This material doesn't need catchy line A or B, it needs a performer. The rhythm section of the band has found a perfect balance between fusion styled sophistication and adding to the effectiveness of the material. Guitar player Mike Holmes somehow comes off as a bit left behind in the old IQ with his Marillion/Floyd styled guitar solo's. On acoustic guitar his contributions strike me as more imminent ' like on 'Perfect Space'. If the band ever aims to top this album in the future ' which would prove extremely difficult I guess - the electric guitar will need to contribute in more diverse ways.

Now about that second disc, which I will describe in a bit more detail because most reviewers will probably focus on the first disc. If that were an album; the 22 minute 'The Great Spirit Way' alone would suffice for an indispensable purchase. Personally, I think this song is placed right after the rather dark and soundtrack-like first disc because it matches best stylistically. 'Fire and Security' is a more traditional IQ piece ' albeit a bit bleak - with a balled type opening, some darker passages and a melancholy ending section with some strong lead guitars. On 'Perfect Space' the band drives its jazz/fusion influences to the max, which will perhaps turn of some ' but I like it. The second epic, the 20 minute 'Fallout' is a bit more relaxing, abstract and dreamy. In its second halve the band experiments beautifully with sophisticated chord progressions, which also allows for Holmes' most interesting guitar solo.

Conclusion. Without a doubt this will become the progressive album of 2019 and I hope it will inspire a lot of other neo-progressive bands to elaborate and expand on their Marillion/Genesis/Floyd roots and take the music to a next level of artistry. This album will probably outshine the nostalgic likings of many of its listeners, but it may also attract listeners that have previously written off the neo-prog genre. Can't wait to receive my 3LP version of this grand album.

Review by poslednijat_colobar
5 stars Staggering, poetical, profound, complete, powerful, inimitable...

The second best decade in the history of prog continues to astound by the verge of its end. Maybe this time even more than before... When you hear beautifully wonderful lyrics entwined with the powerful keyboard lines and precise guitar solos most probably you are listening to IQ. Their newest album Resistance is genuine and profound story for the music and history of the music more than ever. It is amazing how the calmness of this undisputible masterpiece has been implicated into every little sequence of the notes, and even into the intervals between the bass tunes. It is charming how this highest level of production, musicianship and songwriting abilities of the band members do not need any aspects of the music / means of expression to be extreme - neither the hardness, nor the intensity, or the complexity. They just accomplish this staggering album with a balance. These musical heros just play with time signatures, intervals between tunes and octaves like the child with a toy. This is what could be called a natural balance of the abilities. Resistance contains more music, more senses, more poetry than one can even imagine prior to the listening. It is rich, it is flourishing, it is a manifesto of making a sublime music and art.

Most probably the best prog album of 21st century so far!

The most abundant prog album of all time!

Review by siLLy puPPy
COLLABORATOR PSIKE, JR/F/Canterbury & Eclectic Teams
4 stars Through a consistent string of albums that date back to 1993's "Ever," IQ has established itself as somewhat as the new godfather of the neo-prog world as well as one of the superstars of the progressive rock world in general. Carefully crafting each album and polishing them like fine gemstones which on the average has taken about five years between albums, IQ returns in 2019 with the band's 11th album RESISTANCE. Consisting of the same lineup as 2014's "The Road Of Bones," RESISTANCE continues that album's direction with even bolder atmospheric statements, new touches of symphonic orchestration and a knack for amalgamating intricate melodies with tight instrumental interplay all accompanied by Peter Nicholls' distinct and instantly recognizable vocal style.

While "The Road Of Bones" was released in two formats: a single album release and also as a double album, RESISTANCE goes for the gusto and has appeared only as a double album that is essentially two distinct albums with the second half exhibiting a different atmospheric mood that sets itself apart but never strays too far from the consistent IQ sound that permeates each and every album. With a total running time of almost 109 minutes, RESISTANCE comes across as a sprawling epic that takes the neo-prog paradigm further into the 21st century. With "The Road Of Bones," IQ upped the ante as far as instrumental deliveries go. The band saw the new keyboard talents of Neil Durant as well as former members drummer Paul Cook and bassist Tim Essau rejoining the ranks.

RESISTANCE in many ways is the continuation of its predecessor only five years into the future where it feels like technological gains have taken the band into a new futurist paradigm shift. While the classic IQ rhythms, melodies and neo-prog essentials are the backbone of RESISTANCE, the album excels in many ways. Firstly, Neil Durant has expanded his keyboard duties to include a whole host of new techniques and sonic timbres that expand in myriad directions. It's almost as if the mere role of keyboards as been expanded into the entire sprawling genre of progressive electronic, where Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze surreality has created a complete secondary backdrop to the rock aspects but only used tastefully.

Also taking the band into further fields of complexity is the excellent drumming skills of Paul Cook whose percussive drive seemed to lead rather than follow on "The Road Of Bones" and continues that trait on RESISTANCE however in many cases he backs off and takes on the traditional role as merely keeping the beat while the atmospheric constructs and melodic development of the themes expands its tentacles into the sprawling behemoth tracks that tackle the usual suspected emotional tugs and musical dramatic flair that IQ has mastered so well. While the heavy guitar parts were toned down beginning with the last album, they still existed and used as contrast and that is still the case with much of the album seeming almost devoid of guitar sounds and others such as the Floydian "Shallow Bay" providing the Steve Hackett wailing guitar licks and others like "Rise" showcasing the heavier bombast not so prevalent on this album.

With this much music there's always bound to be a throwaway track or two and RESISTANCE is not well resistant to including such filler. Tracks like "If Anything" seem a little too tame and derivative of past glories and pale in company of the stronger tracks but at the same time they are not completely gag reflex inducing, just a bit tame and verge on the border with AOR sensibilities. "For A Lifetime" on the other hand is one of the strongest tracks with carnival music providing the main melodic theme which allows an interesting array of creepy atmospheric gloom and a slinking theremin sound that ratchets up the dread. Perhaps the most unique IQ track ever as it breaks into slow-tempo rock and meanders over the 15 minute mark.

The second disc features the two longest tracks of all. "The Great Spirit Way" just missing the 22 minute mark is one of the strongest of the lot. In many ways the build up reminds me of some aspects of 90s Dream Theater in how the guitar stomps slowly build but the atmospheres and keyboards are clearly in IQ's neo-prog turf. Durant creates some of the most memorable ambient backdrops on this one. He also creates dramatic keyboard stabs that remind me of classic 70s rock bands like The Who. Overall the track meanders through a vast territory of past and present ideas. It includes cool passages that exhibit wind chimes and orchestrations. It flows perfectly and shows IQ at its most innovative.

The second lengthiest track is the near 20 minute closer "Fallout," which features a heavenly ambient intro that incrementally ratchets up the tension and extends the ideas of a single track into a monstrous behemoth of a track. Notable for not merely being a bunch of ideas stitched together but feeling like a consistently morphing track that sticks to a theme. So all in all, RESISTANCE is another excellent development in the IQ universe with two stellar discs worth of impeccably produced material that finds the aspects of the album in perfect cohesion. The greatest development is clearly the highly developed ambience and atmospheric constructs however the band has continued to become bolder as time goes.

Once again, i find the latest IQ release to be an excellent album but as with most of the band's efforts, it seems to fall short from perfection. My main gripe with these grandiose instrumental developments is that Peter Nicholls still exhibits the exact same style without expanding the vocal possibilities. Add to that a few filler tracks and the album tends to become a bit of a chore to sit through at least in one sitting. While there is plenty to love for neo-prog fans here, i just wish a few of the shorter tracks were edited out and that Nicholls would find a way to sound less monotonous as every album starts to sound like the same vocal motifs despite the musical accompaniment. Perhaps a second vocalist adding counterpoints would solve this. Still though, a well done album and an instant prog classic.

5 stars IQ did it again !!!. Hands down the most consistent Prog rock band of all times, IQ has managed to keep producing excellent prog music through its almost 40 years of existence. In my humble opinion, IQ is the definition of what Prog Rock should be, music that evolves and never bores you, with ex ... (read more)

Report this review (#2278000) | Posted by bl6464 | Monday, November 4, 2019 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album is another masterpiece by IQ. I suggest you give it several plays to really appreciate it. In this new album IQ demonstrates again that they are true masters in building their songs with a dark atmosphere set by the piano, vocals and keyboards. The band has put all the ingredients togethe ... (read more)

Report this review (#2270177) | Posted by analissa18 | Tuesday, October 15, 2019 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Well, i'll be the first to rain on the parade This is my introduction to IQ essentially. Other than marillion I'm not very much a listener to Neo-Prog. When I saw 5 star reviews across the board right off the bat I figured I'd give it a listen. Well 4 listens deep and my opinion has been made ... (read more)

Report this review (#2270160) | Posted by dougmcauliffe | Tuesday, October 15, 2019 | Review Permanlink

5 stars IQ - Resistance review... This album is a true masterpiece! It will take several plays to see its true beauty. Initially disappointed (what a fool was I!) but I persevered and kept playing it in the background - then KAPOW, I was hit! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, layers of pure brilliance. ... (read more)

Report this review (#2267251) | Posted by slackjawgaze | Wednesday, October 9, 2019 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The Road Of Bones was another excellent release by IQ, but Resistance may be even better. The sound has not changed much, and Peter Nichols sounds as good as ever. Resistance is dark, brooding, heavy, orchestrated, and crafted like a Neo-Prog work of art. There is so much to love about this new r ... (read more)

Report this review (#2265375) | Posted by javajeff | Monday, September 30, 2019 | Review Permanlink

5 stars From the very first song, this album hits you in all the right prog places. It has harder sounding pieces like 'A Missle' and 'Rise', influence inspired songs like 'The Great Spirit Way' and very IQ sounding pieces like 'Shallow Bay' and 'Fallout'. There is a ballad 'If Anything' which is quite nice ... (read more)

Report this review (#2265341) | Posted by firstlensman | Monday, September 30, 2019 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I am in New Zealand waiting for my copy to arrive. Then all of a sudden it is on spotify. I can't help myself, I have to give it a listen, then a second and then a third. It is a long time since I have felt like this. I am writing but the addiction for another listen is prevalent. I enjoyed ... (read more)

Report this review (#2265022) | Posted by shaunch | Sunday, September 29, 2019 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Resistance is Futile (or in their words "Fertile"), and This album proves it. Judging by what I've heard so far, this album takes the mantle for IQ. The album cover art is solid to the actual album style and music. Everything I've heard is both similar and completely different from their ... (read more)

Report this review (#2263572) | Posted by Zoltanxvamos | Thursday, September 26, 2019 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of IQ "Resistance"