ROCK ACTION

Good, but non-essential

Buy MOGWAI Music
Studio Album, released in 2001

1. Sine Wave (4:55)
2. Take Me Somewhere Nice (6:57)
3. O I Sleep (0:55)
4. Dial: Revenge (3:28)
5. You Don't Know Jesus (8:02)
6. Robot Chant (1:03)
7. 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong (9:31)
8. Secret Pint (3:37)

- Stuart Braithwaite / guitar, vocals
- John Cummings / guitars, piano
- Barry Burns / guitar, keyboards
- Dominic Aitchison / bass
- Martin Bulloch / drums

With:
- The Remote Viewer / programming & banjo (7)
- Gruff Rhys / vocals (4), backing vocals (7)
- David Pajo / backing vocals (2)
- Willie Campbell / backing vocals (7)
- Charlie Clark / backing vocals (7)
- Gary Lightbody / backing vocals (7)
- Michael Bradley / string & horn arrangements (2,7)
- David Fridmann / string arrangements (2,4,7), producer

Artwork: Vella Design with Steve Gullick (photo)

CD Southpaw Recordings, Play It Again Sam (PIAS) PAWCD1, 946.0010.020 (2001 Europe)
CD Southpaw Recordings, Play It Again Sam (PIAS) Recordings PAWCD1 (2001 UK)
CD Matador OLE 490-2 (2001 US & Canada)
CD Play It Again Sam (PIAS) Recordings PIASV 010 CD, 946.0010.020 (2001 Europe)
CD Toy's Factory TFCK-87244 (2001 Japan)
CD Spunk, Play It Again Sam (PIAS) Recordings URA042 (2001 Australia)
CD Matador OLE 490-2V (2001 US & Canada) (promo)
CD Southpaw Recordings, Play It Again Sam (PIAS) PPAWCD1 (2001 Europe) (promo)
LP Southpaw Recordings PAWLP1 (2001 UK)
LP Matador OLE 490-1 (2001 US & Canada)
CD Soyuz Music, Play It Again Sam (PIAS) Recordings PIASV 010 CD, 946.0010.020 (2005 Russia)
LP Southpaw Recordings PAWLP1 (2012 UK)

and to Quinino for the last updates

Buy MOGWAI Rock Action Music

Rock ActionRock Action
Limited Edition
Pias America 2018
$5.01
Ten Rapid by Rock ActionTen Rapid by Rock Action
Rock Action
$26.47

Mogwai - Rock Action 5021289910120 (CD Used Very Good) USD $11.23 Buy It Now 5h 22m
Mogwai - Rock Action NEW LP USD $23.73 Buy It Now 8h 25m
Mogwai "Rock Action" CD Mercury Rev Super Furry Animals Indie Art Post Rock USD $2.00 Buy It Now 20h 36m
MOGWAI rock action (CD album) abstract, post-rock, instrumental USD $14.13 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai-Rock Action (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $19.36 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai-Rock Action (UK IMPORT) VINYL NEW USD $20.03 Buy It Now 1 day
Mogwai - Rock Action Vinyl LP with Poster NM/NM Vinyl 2001 ORIGINAL USD $8.50 [2 bids]
Mogwai Lot Sale (4) CD Young Team Ten Rapid Rock Action Happy Songs FL USD $39.95 [0 bids]
Mogwai - Rock Action LP NEW USD $29.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Ten Rapid by Mogwai (Collected Works 1996-1997) CD 2013 Rock Action Records USD $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Mogwai - Every Country's Sun (Ltd 3LP + CD Box Set) 2017 Rock Action Records New USD $70.94 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai ?- Rave Tapes Vinyl LP, Album + 7" Single Rock Action Records USD $21.87 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rock Action - Mogwai CD CBVG The Fast Free Shipping USD $5.49 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rock action PROMO RARE God is an astronaut explosions in the sky USD $7.63 Buy It Now 3 days
Rock Action by Mogwai USD $7.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai - Rock Action [CD New] USD $10.44 Buy It Now 3 days
Mogwai ' Rock Action ' CD album, 2001 on Play It Again Sam/PIAS Recordings USD $4.99 [0 bids]
MOGWAI Rock Action JAPAN CD TFCK-87244 2001 NEW USD $45.42 Buy It Now 5 days
Mogwai Atomic 2 X LP VINYL Rock Action Records 2016 NEW USD $49.97 Buy It Now 6 days
Mogwai - Les Revenants Soundtrack Vinyl LP Rock Action Records Download Code USD $29.93 Buy It Now 6 days
Mogwai Rock Action LP Advert USD $14.71 Buy It Now 6 days
Mogwai : Rock Action CD (2001) Value Guaranteed from eBay's biggest seller! USD $5.24 Buy It Now 6 days
MOGWAI+Rock Action+POSTER+AD+RARE ORIGINAL 2001+QUALITY FRAMED+FAST GLOBAL SHIP USD $87.41 Buy It Now 7 days
Rock Action by MOGWAI (CD, Apr-2001, Matador) Plus Bonuses USD $1.99 Buy It Now 7 days
RARE MOGWAI ROCK ACTION TEST PRESS LP VINYL 2001 SOUTHPAW RECORDINGS UK PRESS USD $437.38 Buy It Now 7 days
Rock Action - Mogwai (CD New) USD $10.46 Buy It Now 8 days
Every Country's Sun by Mogwai (180g Vinyl, Sep-2017, 2LP, Rock Action) *NEW* USD $25.64 Buy It Now 10 days
Mogwai - Rave Tapes (1LP Vinyl +MP3 Code 2014 Rock Action Records New USD $23.73 Buy It Now 12 days
Tuner/Lower Mogwai UK 7" vinyl single record RAR01 ROCK ACTION 1996 USD $162.08 Buy It Now 12 days
MOGWAI - Rock Action - CD Album - 2001 USD $6.25 Buy It Now 15 days
MOGWAI ?- ROCK ACTION VINYL LP (NEW/SEALED) USD $24.98 Buy It Now 15 days
Mogwai - Every Country's Sun 180g 2LP Vinyl) 2017 Rock Action Records USD $30.72 Buy It Now 16 days
Mogwai - Rock Action 2001 Southpaw USD $5.61 Buy It Now 16 days
Mogwai CD - Rock Action (2001) Inlay Fold-Out *AS NEW* USD $3.12 Buy It Now 16 days
Mogwai - Atomic (6.3oz 2LP Vinyl, Gatefold Cover) 2016 Rock Action Records USD $31.80 Buy It Now 17 days
Mogwai - Every Country's Sun (6.3oz 2LP Clear Vinyl, Gatefold) 2017 Rock Action USD $31.80 Buy It Now 17 days
Mogwai - Kin - Soundtrack (Ltd 1LP Red Vinyl) 2018 Rock Action ROCKACT115LPX New USD $27.18 Buy It Now 17 days
Mogwai - Kin - Soundtrack (1LP Black Vinyl) 2018 Rock Action ROCKACT115LP New USD $24.81 Buy It Now 17 days
Mogwai Rock Action CD album (CDLP) Japanese TFCK-87244 2001 USD $49.04 Buy It Now 18 days
Mogwai, Rock Action [2001 Matador CD] Godspeed You Black Emperor, Tortoise Slint USD $1.95 Buy It Now 18 days
MOGWAI Rock Action POSTER UK Southpaw 2001 Original Large Promo Poster Aprox 76 USD $13.73 Buy It Now 18 days
MOGWAI Atomic CD Europe Rock Action 2016 10 Track CD In Gatefold Card Sleeve USD $9.17 Buy It Now 18 days
MOGWAI Ten Rapid CD UK Rock Action 1997 9 Track EX/EX- USD $6.24 Buy It Now 18 days
MOGWAI Rock Action CD UK Southpaw 2001 8 Track Promo In Special Card Sleeve USD $6.24 Buy It Now 18 days
MOGWAI Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will CD Europe Rock Action 2011 10 Track USD $7.86 Buy It Now 18 days
MOGWAI Rave Tapes CD Europe Rock Action 2014 10 Track CD In Die Cut Card Sleeve USD $7.86 Buy It Now 18 days
MOGWAI Music Industry 3 Fitness Industry 1 EP CD Europe Rock Action 2014 6 USD $6.24 Buy It Now 18 days
Mogwai - Rock Action (NEW 12" VINYL LP) USD $28.73 Buy It Now 20 days
MOGWAI - Rock Action - Vinyl (LP) USD $25.86 Buy It Now 20 days
Mogwai - Rock Action NEW CD USD $6.24 Buy It Now 20 days
Mogwai Rock Action 150 Gram RARE 2001 Original LP vinyl w/ inner sleeve USD $20.69 Buy It Now 20 days
Mogwai - Zidane (A 21st Century Portrait/Original Soundtrack, 2006) Rock Action USD $5.00 Buy It Now 21 days
Mogwai - Rock Action - CD Album - 8 Tracks - 2001 USD $6.24 Buy It Now 21 days
Mogwai-Rock Action (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $7.88 Buy It Now 22 days
Mogwai - Rock Action [CD] USD $9.08 Buy It Now 22 days
Mogwai - Rock Action ** Free Shipping** USD $4.44 Buy It Now 22 days
Mogwai-Rock Action (UK IMPORT) CD NEW USD $7.18 Buy It Now 23 days
Mogwai / Happy Songs for Happy People (Pias-Rock Action PIASX035CD) CD Album USD $65.31 Buy It Now 23 days
**MINT MOGWAI RAVE TAPES - ROCK ACTION RECORDS BOX SET * LIMITED EDTION USD $59.00 Buy It Now 23 days
MOGWAI ROCK ACTION SPEEDY UK DISPATCH USD $3.49 Buy It Now 25 days
Rock Action by Mogwai (CD, Apr-2001, Matador (record label)) New Sealed USD $17.99 Buy It Now 26 days
Rock Action by Mogwai (CD, Apr-2001, Matador (record label)) SEALED (87) USD $4.87 Buy It Now 26 days
Mogwai - Music Industry 3. Fitness Industry 1 (12 " Ep Vinyl) 2014 Rock Action USD $19.98 Buy It Now 26 days
Mogwai-Rock Action CD NEW USD $15.27 Buy It Now 27 days
Mogwai - Rock Action (CD, 2001, Matador) USD $7.62 Buy It Now 27 days
Rock Action Mogwai CD VERY GOOD FREE SHIPPING USD $7.99 Buy It Now 27 days
MOGWAI*Rock Action*2001*ORIGINAL*POSTER*AD*FRAMED*FAST WORLD SHIP USD $87.41 Buy It Now 28 days
Mogwai - Rock Action [CD] USD $8.44 Buy It Now 28 days
Mogwai-Rock Action CD NEW USD $13.47 Buy It Now 28 days
Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will by Mogwai (Vinyl, Feb-2011, Rock Action) USD $24.99 Buy It Now 28 days
MOGWAI ROCK ACTION MATADOR OLE 4901 w/ INSERT 150 GRAM LP VINYL USD $34.99 Buy It Now 28 days
MOGWAI - Rock Action - CD - Import Limited Edition - **BRAND NEW/STILL SEALED** USD $21.95 Buy It Now 28 days
Rock Action [VINYL], Mogwai, Vinyl, New, FREE & Fast Delivery USD $47.55 Buy It Now 29 days
Mogwai - Atomic Soundtrack Vinyl LP X 2 2016 Rock Action Records New Sealed USD $29.43 Buy It Now 29 days
Mogwai - Atomic Soundtrack CD 2016 Rock Action Records New Sealed USD $12.43 Buy It Now 29 days
Mogwai: Rock Action UK Promo CD - digipack 2001 USD $4.99 Buy It Now 29 days
Mogwai - Rock Action [vinyl New]. USD $39.27 Buy It Now 29 days
Mogwai - Rock Action - CD - New USD $9.12 Buy It Now 29 days
Mogwai - Rock Action - LP Vinyl - New USD $22.73 Buy It Now 30 days
MOGWAI Kin (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) LP VINYL Europe Rock Action USD $17.95 Buy It Now 30 days
MOGWAI - ROCK ACTION VINYL LP NEW+ USD $29.05 Buy It Now 30 days
Mogwai - Rock Action (CD 2001) USD $5.00 Buy It Now 31 days
MOGWAI: Rock Action LP Sealed (UK, reissue) Rock & Pop USD $35.00 Buy It Now 32 days
Mogwai - Rock Action (NEW CD) USD $8.11 Buy It Now 35 days
Mogwai Rock Action U.S. promo cd - card cover USD $1.99 Buy It Now 37 days
Party in the Dark [Single] by Mogwai (Vinyl, Aug-2017, Rock Action) USD $11.80 Buy It Now 37 days
MOGWAI 'Rock Action' Vinyl LP NEW & SEALED USD $29.59 Buy It Now 38 days

More places to buy MOGWAI music online Buy MOGWAI & Prog Rock Digital Music online:

MOGWAI Rock Action ratings distribution

MOGWAI Rock Action reviews

Review by Sean Trane
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk
3 stars 3,5 stars really!!!!

Yet another post rock group, taking inspiration on the groundbreaking Tortoise and Constellation label GYBE! and DMST, Mogwai is just content on this release to follow suit in a poker game and not bring anything new or daring. Rather oddly though, there are sung songs in a rather off-voice that never seem to rise to the occasion of upping the ante for superior interest of the game. There are moments that are on the brink of ecstasy such as the fifth track You Don't Know Jesus (nothing that GYBE! has not achieved a few years before, though) and the tension is maintained for a few minutes to almost unbearable levels, but alas orgasm do not come. Vocals in the form of Nirvana's Cobain screams of despair or Water's yells in Careful With That Axe, would've achieved that poker hand they should've dared for!!! A huge opportunity wasted. The added banjo on the second last track is worthy of note and worth a smirk too!

Most likely by the end of the night and by not taking any risks, Mogwai will certainly not come up on the losing end of the scale, but they will not astound or blind you with their rather pale brilliance. Interesting but simply getting lost in the mass of post-rock albums. Certainly worth a spin if you enjoy post-rock but not a royal flush or even a full house!

Review by Jimbo
3 stars I have intentionally avoided reviewing post-rock albums so far, because while most bands do have their own signature sound, there are also many striking similarities between the bands, so one usually ends up saying the same things for every album. I'll try to avoid that, if possible.

Well, first of all, Mogwai is one of the most depressing bands I've ever heard, and I mean it too. The atmospheres and textures are simply so somber and dark, that at times they even challenge Univers Zero. Fortunately for me, I'm rather mentally sane, so this album doesn't affect me too much. For those wanting to get more familiar with this genre, Mogwai is a good choice, as they mostly concentrate on shorter, structurally pretty simple, melody-based tracks, and yet they often manage to have the same "epic" feel that bands like GY!BE are so well known for.

The second track Take Me Somewhere Nice is a brilliant example of that. It starts with a slow, dark, but still very catchy guitar riff, but before too long other instruments enter the track as well. The riff is actually repeated over and over again during the song, but it's the gloomy keyboards and the amazing string arrangements that really carry this song forward. There's just so much depth in there, that I usually end up in a hypnotic state. Especially in this song, there's a strong resemblance to movie soundtrack music. At this point, things were looking rather good.

However, while I still thoroughly enjoy Dial: Revenge, it's You Don't Know Jesus where things start to go wrong. This instrumental track is actually not half bad at first, but it carries one of the fundamental flaws of this genre - it's way too long. It's also such a typical post-rock track, trying to build up a huge climax, but it's just so predictable that it quite frankly annoys me. It gets old pretty fast. The vocals on this album are mostly fine, but a bit too melodramatic for my taste...

Rock Action is in a way a perfect example of the genre. It manages to combine all the good and not-so-good things about post-rock. It is by all means emotionally moving, very atmospheric, mostly quite intense experience, and yet at the same time, too predictable and just a tiny bit self-indulgent.

All things considered, this is pretty good stuff, nothing exceptional, but fans of the genre will be pleased. If you're not a fan (yet?), you're probably better off starting with Happy Songs For Happy People.

Review by Philo
4 stars This is an odd album, it's seriously eclectic and umbrellas all the tags, genres whatever that one can put on the Scottish outfit. It's actually quite a miserable album, but certainly the misery gets so mierable that it becomes comfortable, comfortable while locked into its own world, a world layered with a host of instruments becoming intense all the while, and while there is a barage of instrumentation it is that of the sweet toned guitar which always shines through for me. It's a slow builder. Rock Action sounds better to me now then it did five years ago, back then I craved an urgency, an aggression in music. I liked the concept of Mogwai but felt a million miles from the emotion they conveyed. I just didn't want it. Now? Well I've grown into the band, through constant plays and patience. The structures are incredible, rich and volumous. The subtle vocals which accompanied some of the parts were, to me, in perfect harmony with the tone and mood the band create. Sometimes, with some similar contemporary rock music acts of today, there can be a tendency to overstress and be too literal (and plain dumb) with regard vocal parts, words, lyrics. Here the lyrics creep in and become the very perfect and sympathetic line to merge with the sound, just to finish if off. Just like with "Take Me Somewhere Nice" and "Dial: Revenge". But then Mogwai and their like are just that much more orchestral, creative and thoughtful than a wave of a million other indie rock bands. Mogwai probably are spun from the one time indie circus but have progressed beyond that border, thankfully. Post rock? Lets forget that term, it's futile. Moving along then. Mogwai get as gritty as they can here with "You Don't Know Jesus" and while not as blistering violent as anything on the Young Team debut it is that bit more enjoyable. Less forced but nevertheless forceful, better even. It's as near to rock action as Mogwai get here, "2 Rights Make 1 Wrong" is decent too in the guitar department, in fact every department. This album is a real grower. Having "Sine Wave" as the album opener had put me off for a long while, but once the album gets going it does truly take off, it can veer toward the avant garde noise a little ("Robot Chant" etc) but that never gets in the way of the albums strength, because when Rock Action is good it's very good.
Review by Prog-jester
2 stars Nah, they even try to sing (guest appearences). This adds nothing honestly.

This is rather a EP – 38 minutes long, with usual guitar-driven mellow tracks (“Take me somewhere nice”, “2 rights make 1 wrong”, “You don’t know Jesus”), interludes (“O I Sleep” etc) and even a true song sung on an unknown (to me) language (“Dial:Revenge”) – pretty nice one I must admit. But most of the time I felt bored more as ever. I presume MOGWAI are just not my cup of tea in Post-Rock (since I enjoy the genre very much), like RUSH in Prog or RADIOHEAD in Modern Rock. No hate or anything of that kind (I even like some tracks from above-mentioned bands), but they just didn’t click on me THAT much as they do with others.

Review by UMUR
4 stars Rock Action is the third studio album from experimental rock act Mogwai. I havenīt been really satisfied by their first two album Young Team (1997) and Come on Die Young (1999) even though they are both high quality products. I was just never moved by the music and as a consequence the repetitive and mostly intrumental post rock style on the two first albums felt long drawn and a bit dull to me. Iīm told that Rock Action is Mogwaiīs most accessible album, and judging from the three first albums from the band I can say yes to that statement. Itīs also the most exciting release out of the first three IMO.

The music is still build around very few ideas and riffs and overall the songs are very repetitive. This time around the songs are not as stripped down as it was the case on the previous album Come on Die Young though. Mogwai have added keyboards and about half of the songs have mellow vocals which really helps make the album more varied and accessible. At least thatīs how I feel about it. The album is only 38:28 minutes long which is also a good idea IMO. Iīm not sure this kind of music could entertain me for 70 minutes without boring me at some point. One of the things that I also enjoy about Rock Action is the multilayered soundscape in some songs. Almost symphonic at times. Iīve been a bit annoyed of the sparse use of vocals on the two previous albums, but my favorites on Rock Action are actually the two mostly instrumental songs You Donīt Know Jesus and 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong. I also enjoy the beautiful Dial: Revenge and the dark and haunting Secret Pint while my least favorite is probably Take Me Somewhere Nice. The album is best understood if you listen to it in succesion IMO and not just pick out individual tracks. Thereīs something really positive about the feeling I get after each listen that is really great. The hardcore post rock fans might find this one a bit too accessible but for me who is not used to listening to the genre thatīs the beauty of the album.

The musicianship is excellent and I really think Mogway has grown considerably as composers since Come on Die young.

The production is very pleasant. Warm but still sharp when the music needs it.

Itīs an album that has grown on me, so if I had chosen to review it after only a few listens I would have given it 3 stars. After many listens I began to feel moved by the music and itīs as if the addition of keyboards, and the more varied expression in the music because of the added vocals, really makes for a good listen and an excellent album. It might be a small 4 star rating but a 4 star rating it is. I hope this positive development in Mogwaiīs music continues on their later albums. Iīll be looking forward to listening to and reviewing them now and that was not the feeling I had after listening to Come on Die Young.

Review by snobb
3 stars Third album of this Scottish post-rock band is something between atmospheric sound of Nordic post-rock bands, and almost metal energy of their US colleagues. More melodic, more acoustic, with warmer sound. Sad, in moments even dark, but according to genre rules - repetitive and not too complex.

Mogwai sometimes is mentioned as post-rock one of greatest band's, I can't understand why. They really have their own niche between other post-rock bands, with more melodic, more mellow and warmer sound, but the difference is not so big to see them in front of all genre.

There on this album they are adding some vocals to their mostly instrumental music, what makes the music a bit more different. Possibly, they stepped far from post-rock standard there, but the destination is Brit-pop, so the question is how good is this trend.

In all, some positive side of this work is it is a bit different from usual post-rock album. But this difference is far not enough to make it great album. Should be attractive for genre fans though.

Review by Warthur
4 stars Mogwai must have realised they'd taken their predominantly instrumental and extremely sparse sound as far as it could go on Come On Die Young, because Rock Action sees them refreshing and evolving their sound extensively. The compositions presented are much more lush and musically embellished, vocals play a more prominent role, and the reliance on sampled dialogue to establish atmosphere is greatly diminished. The end result is an album which is unmistakably Mogwai but at the same time establishes an entirely new phase in their sound. Post-rock fans who were turned off by earlier Mogwai works but think they might enjoy a less sparse version of the Mogwai sound could enjoy themselves here.
Review by Kempokid
COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
2 stars Since I'm quite a big fan of post rock in general, I was quite interested in listening to Mogwai, given that they are one of the bigger bands in the genre, so I thought I'd be getting some really interesting, powerful songs here. What I find this album to be instead is quite dull, dreary and overall underwhelming. The big issue I have with it is that it is somewhere between the two main kinds of post rock I'm familiar with, the dreamy, beautiful soudscapes of bands like Sigur Ros, and the building, thunderous crescendos of GY!BE and This Will Destroy You, instead causing it to feel uneventful without being beautiful enough to make it interesting in that fashion. This is the first album I've heard by the band, but I have been attentively listening many times over the last couple of weeks to gain a decent understanding in order to review this fairly.

The first big issue I have with the album is actually the vocals, not the vocalist, who sounds fine, but the existence of the vocals themselves. I find that it does cause the songs to sound more dull and less expressive, which while parts of the album have some wonderfully intense backing instrumentals, the majority of the attention is drawn towards the quiet, monotone, dreary vocals, removing a lot of the emotional power that good post rock contains, instead making it sound more like an indie rock track. Another problem is the fact that some of these songs really don't do enough, taking the sound of the crescendo based post rock bands without actually crescendoing, leading to some noticeable blandness in certain tracks, especially the 9 minute Two Rights Make One Wrong. One final issue, although a less egregious one is the interludes, which both add very little to the album, but don't detract too much either.

Despite these complaints, there are definitely still some positives to this album. For one, it can really capture a mood, as this album manages to be really depressing in ways that don't feel overdramatic or false, everything here does manage to convey a feeling of emptiness quite well, it's just that the music can sometimes suffer because of this. Despite the album being filled with tracks that other than general tone, I really don';t care about, the first 2proper songs are exceptional, and the 3rd is interesting in a particular way. Sine Wave shows a lot of promise, nicely balancing some electronic elements with a gradual increase in intensity, making for a standard, yet no less awesome post rock track that hits all the right notes for me. Take Me Somewhere Nice is however undoubtedly the highlight of this album for me, being deeply melancholic, each note hitting hard emotionally as it slowly flows through its 7 minute run time, being utterly beautiful the entire way through. Dial : Revenge, while not necessarily a song I enjoy all that much, is interesting for how close to a Damon Albarn song it sounds, with the vocals sounding incredibly similar, albeit in another language.

Overall, I feel quite disappointed in this album, finding it to lack many of the qualities in which I find to make post rock great, while adding nothing particularly special to the mix, leading to a mostly safe album that doesn't quite hit many mark. I'm going to check the previous 2 albums by the band to see if anything is different with those, as there are some hints of greatness mixed amongst the boredom, but it's jst not quite enough for me to enjoy this album once those first 2 great tracks have finished. Overall, I'd recommend many post rock albums before touching this one, such as the first 2 GY!BE albums, Agaetis Byrjun by Sigur Ros, and even some Magyar Posse for a very similar sound in certain respects, while also reaching much greater heights.

Best songs: Sine Wave, Take Me Somewhere Nice

Weakest songs: Secret Pint, You Don'T Know Jesus, Two Rights Make One Wrong

Verdict: I just find the majority of this album very bland and uninventive, but also do admit that they are excellent at capturing a particular mood, it's just a shame that they don't explore that more, and meander quite a lot.

4 stars I must confess that I'm quite new to the whole "post-rock" thing, but Godspeed You Black Emperor! records I was lucky enough to become familiar with made me stunned, to say the least. I've never in my life heard the music so monotonous, repetive and minimalist that can be so fascinating, addic ... (read more)

Report this review (#58061) | Posted by | Saturday, November 26, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Let's face it. When Mogwai's 'Young Team' came out, that was it. The final word on the 'quiet/loud moody instrumental indie rock' sound. They had done it. What does a band do then? Where do they take their music? While they were trying to figure that out, Godspeed You Black Emperor stepped in and ... (read more)

Report this review (#44804) | Posted by | Tuesday, August 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Rock Action is an improvement in song writing and overall sound from Mogwai's previous release. While not the most incredible release, Rock Action shows a lot of potential for these Scottish lads. Sine Wave could easily have been a remix of "A Warm Place" by Nine Inch Nails but it holds on it's ... (read more)

Report this review (#39238) | Posted by Spanky | Tuesday, July 12, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars MOGWAI's watershed disc. No one but no one should have a problem with anything here. Their third release, the ironically titled "Rock Action" is by no means a hard rock disc. MOGWAI goes in a new direction after two LPs and a dozen EPS. They bring in banjo, electronics, keyboards, and lots ... (read more)

Report this review (#35032) | Posted by BrainRock Ben | Saturday, May 28, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MOGWAI "Rock Action"