FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1000 Prog Albums Over 46 Years: 1966-2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 21>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 05:30
I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) is a curious song that like the rest of the album is reflecting on an idyllic past it also contains (possibly co-incidental) little connections to Genesis's own past, such as "over the garden wall, two little love birds, coo-coo to you" ... Charterhouse 1965 two little pop bands - The Anon featuring Rutherford and Philips, The Garden Wall featuring Gabriel and Banks...

Then consider this:

"Sunday night, Mr Farmer called, said "Listen son, you're wasting time, there's a future for you in the fire escape trade, come up to town"

and

"I know a farmer who looks after the farm. With water clear, he cares for all his harvest. I know a fireman who looks after the fire."

What?
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 05:30

1973 - continued

Spectrum
Billy Cobham

Billy Cobham Spectrum album cover

A review by Mellotron Storm:

There's no question that Billy Cobham is one of the most talented and influencial drummers on the planet. I had high hopes going into this one that it would be another "Birds Of Fire" shred-fest. Not quite, although the first song delivers big time in that style. Jan Hammer, his old MAHIVISHNU ORCHESTRA band mate helps out, while Tommy Bolin doesn't disappoint on guitars. We also get some bass, sax, flugelhorn, trumpet and flute to round out this mostly jazzy sounding album.

"Quadrant 4" opens with heavy, fluid drumming while Bolin comes in with some intricate melodies. A fuller sound 1 1/2 minutes in. This is so impressive. Ripping guitar after 3 minutes as the bass continues to throb. "Searching For The Door/Spectrum" opens with intricate drum patterns before we get to "Spectrum" which is very jazzy with plenty of keys from Hammer, as well as flugelhorn and flute. Guitar 2 1/2 minutes in. The drumming is incredible!  Sax after 4 1/2 minutes with liquid keys a minute later.

"Anxiety/Taurian Matador" opens like the last song with the first part taken up with Cobham's complex drumming skills. The second part kicks into gear quickly. This is another jazzy tune with some great keyboard and guitar solos trading fire as Cobham does his thing. "Straths" opens with 2 minutes of spacey atmosphere. Nice touch. Drums then come in sounding so amazing. The guitar in this one is excellent as well. Great tune.

"To The Women In My Life/Le Lis" opens with piano before the second part arrives which is light, uptempo and jazzy. Alto sax, trumpet and congas all chip in. Hammer offers up some moog as well. "Snoopy's Search/Red Baron" opens with experimental sounds and ends with percussion. The second part features a nice drum/bass rhythm as keys then guitar join in. Great sound 5 minutes in. A must have for MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA fans but I'm sure you already know that.

Zarathustra
Museo Rosenbach

Museo Rosenbach Zarathustra album cover

A review by Finnforest:

While Italian prog has won my heart in a big way I have noticed something. It seems that some of the most acclaimed titles are not my favorite ones. My only theory is that some of these bands like Museo Rosenbach and New Trolls seem more influenced by English groups (notably Purple and Tull). I find that far less appealing than the small bands that perhaps had little travel outside of Italy and therefore have a more pure, local/regional sound. "Zarathustra" is certainly a respectable album made by talented folks, especially the drummer Giancarlo Golzi.

The album consists largely of heavy organ-driven rock. It's a loud, heavy, Ritchie Blackmore/Jon Lord lovefest with obligatory mellotron here and there. It mostly is satisfied with rocking out and doesn't provide the unique flavor of albums/bands like Metamorfosi, Balletto, Semiramis, or Cervello, just to name a few of the better heavy albums. "Della Natura" is definitely the one that did work for me here, with some awesome nuanced playing and the cool chorus part. The relatively poor sound on the BMG cd probably doesn't help matters much; the quiet parts are very hard to hear without turning up to the point where the loud parts will blow the windows out. The vocalist is pretty good with a rough edge without being as annoying as the Trolls vocals. “Zarathustra” is a good album, just not a masterpiece in my opinion, but I'm in the minority.

It's like this band was made for me. The ever-present mellotron and organ, combined with rough but excellent vocals, are all arranged perfectly. This album cries out "Classic"! The tone is set on the first song "l'ultimo Uomo". Soft vocals signal to your curiousity, and before you can prepare yourself you are sent sprawling by crushing riffs."Il Re Di Ieri" starts eerily, again with soft vocals come in but this time your prepared for the bursting forth of the organ and drum assault.

The vocals here are sensational and this is one of my favourite parts of the record. The short "Superuomo" is a wondrous instrumental with some great drum work. "Il Tempio Delle Clessidre" is similar to "Superuomo" only longer and better. Outstanding! "Degli Uomini" has a similar eerie start to it as "Il Re Di Ieri" as some very good guitar and vocals come in, heck everybody is going at it and then there is a quiet interlude. When the vocals come back gently you would think Peter Gabriel is making an appearance. Check out the way these guys play together on the instrumental "Della Natura" mind-numbing! The last song puts the spotlight right on the vocalist and let's just say the spotlight isn't really needed. Masterpiece!

For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night
Caravan

Caravan For Girls Who Grow Plump In The Night album cover

A review by AtomicCrimsonRush:

The Canterbury darlings of the UK had a stellar year in 1973 releasing arguably one of their finest albums and following up soon after with a tour resulting in the amalgamation of performing with a symphony orchestra their new compositions. "If I Could Do It All Over Again, I'd Do It All Over You" certainly began what would be known as the classic period of Caravan, and then followed up by the quintessential "In the Land of Grey and Pink". The marriage of English folk whimsy merged with classical jazz was a trademark sound for the band, and the music matured with "Waterloo Lily" in 1972, a much more jazz oriented album.

"For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night" ushered in all of the previous styles with a distinctive symphonic sound. Some of the band's best material features on this such as 'Memory Lain / Hugh Headloss', an incredible piece of showmanship. Pye Hastings sounds as dynamic as ever on vocals and guitar, and the keyboard work of Sinclair is incredible. 'Hoedown' is another highlight; the violin prowess of Richardson is always masterful and incredible John G. Perry on bass with Coughlan's drums are a force in themselves.

Certainly a drawcard of the album is the full orchestra that is used and this became one of the live experiences captured perfectly on "Caravan and The New Symphonia" that same year. Other highlights include 'The Dog, the Dog, He's at It Again' which became a favourite over the years. It has a great lead break and the melody is memorable with fun lyrics; "my mother said that I should stay out of bed but I know that I like it in there, legs and thighs, hello's and goodbyes and you're there".

'Surprise, Surprise' is another outstanding track as is 'C'thlu Thlu' which is one of the darkest and best things they have done. The huge epic at the end of the album is a typical suite of songs on most Caravan albums in the early years called ' L'auberge du Sanglier / A hunting we shall go / Pengola / Backwards / A hunting we shall go (reprise)'. It is a fantastic album with some of the most incredible music including brass, violins, woodwind, all played virtuoso by the orchestra, along with Caravan. The sound is full and lush providing compelling music that is highly revered in prog history.

A review by SouthSideoftheSky:

“For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night” is better by far (pardon the pun) and is definitely my favourite Caravan album.

The addition of a violinist to the line up was a fantastic idea, and the sound here is rich and full (it's actually a viola and not a violin, but I can't tell the difference). The warm acoustic instruments; the viola, the flutes, the acoustic guitars, together with the sweet vocals contrast very well with the electric guitars, the organ and the electronic keyboards. The violin is sometimes played in a folky way (think Fairport Convention), and sometimes in a grand symphonic way (think Kansas).

The melodies are often very sweet and lovely, but on the other hand, the music sometimes rocks quite hard! This is definitely Caravan's hardest rocking record, something not often associated with the Canterbury Scene. This balance between the soft and sweet vocals and melodies and the harder guitar riffs is also very appealing. This album has a bit of everything and yet it flows perfectly from start to finish.

Yet another thing that I appreciate is the relative absence of silly and whimsical songs like ‘Golf Girl’ and ‘Love To Love You (And Tonight Pigs Will Fly)’, I never could get into those songs. Sure, there is ‘The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again’, but it doesn't stick out as much as the two other ones I mentioned (both from the “In The Land Of Gray And Pink” album). Besides, there is an excellent instrumental break in ‘The Dog, The Dog, He's At It Again’.

Caravan's best and highly recommended!

Brain Salad Surgery
Emerson Lake & Palmer

Emerson Lake &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Palmer Brain Salad Surgery album cover

This is one album you must hear before you die; three words sum up the peak of prog excellence bar none: 'Brain Salad Surgery'. Forget what it means, forget the concepts, forget the innuendos throughout, and the infamous H R Giger cover, instead simply put on the head phones and sit back to be treated to some of the best prog you are likely to hear. It starts with the 'Jerusalem' track that is as bombastic as any ELP track. 'Toccata' follows and is one of the greatest instrumentals. The keyboards are played with such a fury they seem to strip the wallpaper off the walls. Emerson revels in his world as he thumps the keyboards with virtuoso playing.

'Still you turn me on' is the romantic ballad that was always present to garner and appease female fans, a mainstream song with appeal. 'Benny the Bouncer' is the satiric jaunty little ditty laced with black humour that always seemed to be a part of early ELP albums.

Virtually every moment of ‘Karn Evil 9’, this multi-movement suite, is awe inspiring. Rarely have a band been so precise, so in sync, so brilliant than this track. It moves through a series of impressions in the same way as a classical piece is structured. The first impressions are often found on best of ELP compilations and for good reason, but its great to hear this track in its entirety. Like the astounding 'Tarkus', it is a long, highly complex example of virtuoso playing and showcases in particular Emerson's incredible talents. It's frenetic pace transfixes from beginning to end of the first impressions. It slows in the 2nd impression so that we have room to breathe within the wall of sound that is at times suffocating, but then picks up the pace again in the 3rd impression with Lake's vocals dominating. There is a huge finale with a robot voice that seems to explode. The headphone sound zooms in and out from left to right and then fades out. This track is one reason the album often sits proudly at the top of prog rock album lists as one of the greatest.

Still... You Turn Me On

What to say about this classic Prog album? Well, firstly, it is a masterpiece! Secondly, while a masterpiece it is not perfect. The first half of the albums suffers a bit from being put side to side with the epic Karn Evil 9 which is clearly the centrepiece of the album. Still, the first side holds up rather well too.

The album starts with Jerusalem, a great traditional hymn reworked in typical ELP fashion. Toccata is a highly experimental classical piece re-arranged by Carl Palmer. This is probably one of the most experimental things he and the band ever did. Greg Lake also gets his place to shine, of course. This time it's Still... You Turn Me On. This is not Lake's best song ever, but it is a good one. Benny The Bouncer injects a bit of humour into the music.

Then there is the massive three-part epic Karn Evil 9. This is a true masterpiece of progressive rock and in my opinion by far ELP's very best work. Every fan of progressive rock needs to hear this one.

Absolutely essential album! 

Måltid 
Samla Mammas Manna

Samla Mammas Manna Måltid  album cover

4.5 stars.  At the end of the liner notes they wrote "Remember-joy is contagious!" Lets just say that this band has made a lot of people smile over the years. I laughed right out loud a couple of times while listening to the insane vocals. I'm sure they are singing some funny lines too, but it's all sung in Swedish. I had a hard time finding this cd but thankfully I finally got it and it was well worth the search. As a side note the Zeuhl band UPPSALA (great band) named their band after the city that guitarist Coste Apetrea is from. They met him and another Swedish guitarist while on vacation and were so affected by this meeting that they thus named their band UPPSALA and even named a song after the two guitarists. Like they said "Joy is contagious", they caught something special from that meeting anyway. Another side note is that the drummer (Hasse) has been the percussionist for the FLOWER KINGS for a long, long time.

The first song "Dundrets Frojder" really embodies what this band is all about. This is also my favourite song off of the album. It features a catchy, uptempo melody with keys and drums leading the way. The guitar is fantastic! The tempo picks up as these crazy vocals come in. It gets heavy before 7 minutes with some excellent drumming followed by mellotron. Nice. Scorching guitar late, on this the longest track.

"Oforutsedd Forlossning" features funny vocals and light drums. The sound gets louder as the guitar comes in.  "Den Aterupplivade Laten" opens with odd sounds before we get a melody. The piano reminds me of GENESIS as the soundscape does have a symphonic flavour. Nice piano to end it. "Folkvisa I Morse" is a short and catchy folk song. "Syster System" has these hilarious vocals with piano and drums.

"Tarningen" is a great uptempo track with outstanding piano, drumming and guitar. "Svackorpoangen" is led by piano and theatrical vocals. "Minareten" is bright and uplifting for 2 minutes before settling down as we get some more lunatic vocals. There is a fantastic sound the rest of the way until the mood changes after 7 minutes. The final song "Vaerelseds Tilbud" is made up of mostly piano melodies. This is like the polar opposite of UNIVERS ZERO, it's bright, fast and catchy, but most of all it will make you smile.

Ashes Are Burning
Renaissance

Renaissance Ashes Are Burning album cover

"Clear your mind maybe you will find, That the past is still turning, Circles sway echo yesterday, Ashes burning, ashes burning..." Renaissance's "Ashes Are Burning" is their masterpiece. The title track is one of the best examples of Annie Haslam's high 5 octave range. The lyrics are evocative of dreams or reflections of how things used to be and how they could be. The folk prog atmosphere borders on a Celtic flavour at times due to the musicianship and vocal techniques. One may be reminded of early Fairport Convention or Pentangle at times, especially due to the content and female soprano vocals. Annie has a pleasant, sweet voice that always feels uplifting to the spirit and she is a survivor of the male dominated prog scene of the 70s. Curved Air would spring to mind as another. This album features some of Renaissance's most endearing and most popular works.

'Let it grow' is quintessential to Renaissance with a nice melody and a pretty musical framework. The rhythm is executed with acoustic flourishes mixed with piano arpeggios and scales. 'On the frontier' is a lot more progressive with some innovative time sig changes with bass solos and a prodigious piano workout.

The final track, 'Ashes are burning' is brilliant, clocking in at 11:24 as a mini epic with a ton of piano and acoustic work. A vibraphone compliments the soundscape beautifully with a tapestry of interwoven piano lines and Annie's enchanting voice. The lyrics are equally alluring and takes the listener to a far away place with lush green meadows and tall trees, and a neon purple sky; "Travel the days of freedom, Roads leading everywhere, Come with me now and show how you care, Follow the dying embers, Cross on the paths that they lay, Breath of the past the earths yesterday..."

The music has the power to transfix images with its delicate nuances, and progressive symphonic orchestration. Annie's pulchritudinous angelic vocals on the album are enticing enough, but the lyrics are mesmirising making this album an instant classic.

Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 2 - Angel's Egg
Gong

Gong Radio Gnome Invisible Vol. 2 - Angels Egg album cover

“Angel's Egg” encapsulates the high strangeness known and loved about Gong. This is definitely one of their best albums and notably features some of the weirdest tracks of the band's repertoire. Gong are surreal cosmic adventurers who always strive to produce the wackiest spaced out music on the planet. They accomplished it here. They have notably been referred to 'an invisible ideological empire' more than a band and it is easy to see why. The concept of this album takes on the same themes as “Flying Teapot”. The pot head pixies are back as is Zero the Hero, and the jazz fusion and Eastern influences abound. It is all rather absurd and the music works better listening to it as a whole album rather than individual tracks.

This album is the second in the “Radio Gnome Invisible Trilogy”, and it is the best. We are transported to Planet Gong, via a Flying Teapot, and the allegorical tale of life and the idiocy of our heroe’s quest begins: a quest that is never ending but nevertheless essential in finding the meaning of that perfect life. Steve Hillage is excellent as guitar extraordinaire and he is complimented with Allen, Malherbe, Blake, Howlett and Moerlen. A special mention must be made of the sultry vocals of Gilli Smyth as she croons 'Prostitute Poem', a nice break from all the lunacy and mayhem. Gong recorded this by hanging microphones from trees and the atmospehere is present throughout. Highlights include 'Other Side of the Sky', 'Flute Salad', showcasing Malherbe's incredible flute, and 'Oily Way', 'Inner Temple' 'Love is How Y Make It' and the rocker, 'I Never Glid Before'.

The album was voted as Gong's best by Mojo magazine readers and it is easy to see why. Coming in at second was “Camembert Electrique” and then “You”. In any case Angel's Egg is quintessential Gong and one of the best albums of 1973.

A review by Sean Trane:

In this chapter of the greatest trilogy ever written, one finds Zero The Hero looking for ways to spread the good words taught to him from Planet GonG through this Radio Gnome Invisible, and he meets all sorts in that quest.

Angel's Egg sees two new members replacing Frenchmen Trisch and Moze: Pierre Moerlen and Mike Howlett and now the classic GonG line-up is present. However, unlike the previous Flying Teapot and the following You, the tracks here are fairly short (except for the opening track that clocks in at 8 min) barely exceeding 5 min at best.

Side 1 starts with a rare but superb almost-instrumental that is proof, if need be, that Gong is masterful in all areas including jazz-rock Canterbury style. All other numbers are very typical GonG athmospheres and climaxing in the Prostitute Poem where Malherbe answers so greatly to Gilly Smyth - delightful and dare I say Orgasmic. Only the drunken pub tune Givin My Luv sticks a bit out but it is short and can be easily skipped.

Side 2 starts with the real treasure of this album: it is the Flute Salad - Inner/Outer Temple suite only to be followed by concert fave Oily Way. Malherbe shows that he also masters the flute and the climaxes created are not only orgasmic but cosmic. Moerlen gives us a peak on future Gong music by putting in his great vibraphone playing in one of the last track. Many different facets of GonG are present in this album making probably their most impressive one ever.

Again for years the superb artwork sleeve had not been sufficiently respected, often suppressing most of the heavenly blue innerfold of the album. Charly Records via their subsidiary Victor label again released a mini-lp reissue (cat# 61173, pricey but superb and essential for the understanding of this epic) and adjoining for the first time a booklet explainig the story and lyrics. However the extra track of previous reissues is absent, but it was not really adapted to the album. 

The Six Wives Of Henry VIII
Rick Wakeman

Rick Wakeman The Six Wives Of Henry VIII album cover 

A review by Warthur:

I've made a good faith attempt to get into Rick Wakeman's solo work, but I have to say that - aside from this album - it all leaves me completely cold. Rick is an excellent keyboardist, but an extremely poor editor; if he were more careful about which compositions or elements of compositions he allowed to make the final cut for release and which he held back for more work, he'd be making less releases but I think the overall quality would improve.

The circumstances behind the recording of this album are a case in point: made at a time when he felt that his own creative contributions were being sidelined in Yes, the album gave Rick an outlet for his own compositions which he couldn't find in his band work at the time. It's pleasant enough listening, though to be honest I don't think it's the amazing masterpiece it's often proclaimed as. Perhaps it's overestimated somewhat simply by comparison to the rest of Wakeman's solo catalogue, which is far more variable in quality. Three and a half stars.

A review by Sean Trane:

Outstanding stuff as Wakeman should've stuck to this one and never more disgress from Yes. This is a showcase for all the synthetisers from the era from the Mellotron to the Moog to the Hammond and everything to do with KB. This is where Rick became the Wizzard and the major success got to his head and started wearing stardust sprinkled capes and the whole "shabam" and quickly became pompous.

But still none of that on this album, as the six tracks (all instrumentals) are incredibly head-twisting (even some 30 years later), and strangely enough, as one could fear for such albums reflecting the technology of the the era, the music has not aged badly, quite on the contrary. But is this not the primùe quality of excellent music. Wakeman's keyboards are hovering, fluttering, nose-diving twirling around your ears like you were simply not on this planet anymore.

The only Wakeman solo album I still own as I got rid of all the others fairly quickly and I finally gave up in the early 80's.

Photos Of Ghosts
Premiata Forneria Marconi

Premiata Forneria Marconi Photos Of Ghosts album cover

Virtually every moment of “Photos Of Ghosts” is awe inspiring. Rarely have a band been so precise, so in sync, so brilliant than this album. Each track moves through a series of impressions. 'Il Banchetto' is the standout track and is a long, highly complex example of virtuoso playing that showcases in particular Premoli's incredible talents. It's frenetic pace transfixes from beginning to end, the metrical patterns of Cioccio's drumming is phenomenal. It slows in the middle section so that we have room to breathe within the wall of sound that is at times suffocating, but then picks up the pace again in the last impression with Cioccio's vocals dominating.

‘Celebration’ is a great single featuring very catchy melodies and happy organ sounds throughout. The atmosphere on each track is captured by the use of sparse orchestral arrangements, featuring primarily Pagani's woodwind instruments and Premoli's organ phrases and the jagged guitars of Mussida. The minimalist feminine flute is played to perfection and drifts along so sweetly it augments the ambience of the entire album.

Tracks such as ‘Mr. 9 till 5’ shift metrical patterns throughout and climax with the huge wall of sound that is essential PFM. There is a wonderful blend of guitars, violins and Hammond, Mellotron and Moog synthesiser building to a crescendo. The sonata form structure is powerfully realised with the bombastic vocal arrangements.

PFM have produced some stunning pieces such as ‘River of Life’ that begins with the beautiful acoustic vibrations of ‘Mussida’, a real beauty that meanders like a flowing stream. The flute and harpsichord chime in like fish in the sea dancing in the waves. The new directions of each track keeps the metronome ticking with changes in time signatures and that ever pounding bass of Piazza. Each track is masterfully executed and charged with high emotion making this one of the best examples of Italian prog.

A review by Conor Fynes:

In the Italian progressive rock scene, there are few grails as holy as PFM's 'Per Un Amico', an album which has since gone on to be considered not only to be among the best of Italy, but among the best prog rock of all time. Once discovered by Greg Lake of ELP, the band was given the opportunity to thrust out on to the international scene, whereas they had previously had most of their fanbase locked within their own country. As was likely one of the best business decisions that the band ever made, they made an album mostly in English, ironically a language that none of them were fluent in. Rerecording much of 'Per Un Amico' and adding a few new surprises along the way, Premiata Forneria Marconi had made an album that could finally introduce them to the global community. Although 'Photos Of Ghosts' is typically thought of as 'Per Un Amico' with English lyrics, there is more that has been done to refurbish this album than simply that, and although I am sure that many would tend to disagree, 'Photos Of Ghosts' results as an even more successful album than 'Per Un Amico', fixing some of the issues I had with that album, and giving a fresh new look on the music simultaneously.

As one might expect, the lyrics and new vocal performance tend to be the worst thing about 'Photos Of Ghosts'. As one can tell by the often garbled Italian accent, the vocalists struggle through the alien English language, and some of the passion that filled the vocals in the original has been lost in translation. Had this been the only thing that had been changed for 'Photos Of Ghosts', the album would be fairly unnecessary and I would tend to reccommend this record only to diehard fans of the other. Potentially the biggest thing that PFM has improved with on 'Photos' however is the sense of flow. Although the music was incredible on 'Per Un Amico', it did suffer from a lack of flow, as if the tracks were spliced together seemingly at random. The uncomplimentary fashion in which the album was structured robbed it of any perfection it may have otherwise had, but with 'Photos Of Ghosts', it really feels as if measures are taken to ensure a smooth listening experience. Instead of moving onto 'Generale' for the second track, PFM follows up the English rendition of 'Appena Un Po' with a song from their debut, 'E Festa'; aptly titled 'Celebration' here. Having a very moving and slower piece being trailed by a more upbeat and melodic number is ten times more effective than the jazzy breakdown that haphazardly followed on the original. Things like this make the album move along as a masterpiece would, and it really makes the music shine the way it should have on the original.

There are also some added nuances to the music, a sense that the album's sound was tweaked before rereleasing. It must have been a good experience for the band to look back on their existing music and try to improve things they may have regretted in hindsight. The nuances are entirely fresh perse, but it does make the music sound a little more up to date than 'Per Un Amico'. The music of course is warm, lush, and takes quite a few tricks from jazz and classical music. 'Per Un Amico' is widely considered a masterpiece for a reason, but it feels as if the tunes are even better here, save for the rather weak vocals. 'Photos Of Ghosts' may be a remake, and while it is not a legitimate album when compared to 'Per Un Amico', I feel it does provide a more fulfilling listening experience. Issues have been fixed, and much like a patch, Premiata Forneria Marconi have touched up their album and created an album I can more safely consider a masterpiece. 

Contaminazione
Il Rovescio Della Medaglia

Il Rovescio Della Medaglia Contaminazione album cover

A review by Finnforest:

Forget the Concerto Grosso, this is the real deal.

Il Rovescio Delle Medaglia (RDM) were formed in late 1970 in Rome and became a very popular live act in the early '70s Italian scene. After two albums more in the rock realm than prog they added keyboardist Franco Di Sabbatino in 1973. This move, along with the collaboration of Argentinean composer Luis Bacalov was the double spark they needed to fuel one of Italian prog's most beloved titles, "Contamination," I believe a reference to the melding of classical music with rock. Bacalov should ring a bell for Italian fans as he helped New Trolls with their "Concerto Grosso" prior. But with RDM he would create an album that would blow that previous work out of the water.

In fact, beyond just Italian prog, “Contamination” is sometimes cited as one of the best, perhaps *the* best example of classical music with progressive rock. The stunning baroque arrangements are seamlessly tied to the RDM sound and are amazingly natural and unforced. Even an English version was floated in an attempt to break the band wider. The well received work in the magic year of Italian prog ('73) should have lent a brighter future but their impressive live stage sound system was ripped off that year and apparently this development took the wind from their sails. The core group folded soon thereafter as yet another of Italy's promising acts faded too soon.

"Contaminazione" is apparently a story of a man's obsession with the music of Bach. It begins with light strings panning back and forth in your speaks with spectacular choral voices. "Ora Non Ricordo Piu" starts with trippy synth effects and warm, pleasant vocals. There are more of those choral waves of sound before the band comes out of the gate with a heavy guitar riff. As they bound along there are wild synth digs spicing it up. The bass is awesome, lively and easily heard. "Il Suono del Silenzio" reprises the heavy main riff as the vocals flow. I know things are getting nuts when I have to pause the CD to keep up typing. The first real strings hit at this point and they sound just incredible. Totally alive, vibrant, well-recorded. As soon as they appear there is a blast of synth, then piano, then harpsichord all at once signaling this will not be a laid back affair. The band comes back with organ to the fore in their rock section. The track winds down with the main riff and vocal reprise.

"Mi Sono" starts with gorgeous violin as soft as a feathered bed over easy vocals. Suddenly the mood gets darker with tom-toms and building operatic choir, then it eases for more strings. Then all subsides for a Malmsteenish classical-tinged electric solo, very cool but too short. The track drifts to fading keyboards at close. "Lei Sei Tu" starts with a fast harpsichord (I think) run to lightly backing guitar bends and attentive drumming. Majestic strings break in pulling the mood straight up! Then the harpsichord/drums return with vocals.

"La Mia Musica" begins with gorgeous classical piano and then floats lovely, delicate vocals over you. Halfway through organ and strings commence and you feel like you're in the middle of some great cathedral in Europe 200 years ago. A great vocal tops off this standout song. "Johann" is a short trippy montage with vocal and distant guitar. "Scotland Machine" begins with a band and some synth freakouts followed by organ, harpsichord and mellotron. The band jumps in with spirited well conceived rock parts. It's all so much more sophisticated and satisfying than the Concerto Grosso.

"Cella 503" is a foray of delicious classical acoustic guitar soon joined by electric and then horns and strings in response. Just fabulous! (Ladies and Gentlemen, put on your gush-protection suit at this time.thank you.) The rock picks back leading to some great gothic BLASTS of organ that will rattle the walls. The title track is a short sojourn of flutes and woodwinds whippering away. "Alzo un Muro Elettrico" goes a bit Purple/Tull with the main riff but stops half-way through for a brief break.

"Sweet Suite" is next, ouch, the name is a bit corny! A very quiet, moody keyboard for the first half. The second half is a reprise of the heavy rock in the previous track with a nice strings ending. Finally we reach "La Grande Fuga" with the strings from the previous track descending into muscular electric guitar leads and organ flashes. From that point the band charges forward towards a fitting grandiose ending to this super album.

An essential title for fans of classical music and Italian prog fans. I award 4 solid stars because of the incredible marriage of the two main styles rock and classical. I've never heard it done so well. Perhaps I should have lit up the fifth star but it kills me when I have to do that. Often the attempt to mix classical and rock can be disastrously cheesy or annoying, here is it joyous and musically satisfying. This is one of many titans that makes the Italian scene competitive with the UK/German/French scenes in a creative sense, if not in the commercial sense.

Tubular Bells
Mike Oldfield

Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells album cover

One of the albums you must hear before you die that lives up to the hype. “Tubular Bells” remains one of the best debuts for an artist in music history; a man had a dream and pursued it vigorously and Oldfield's almost obssessive attention to detail on this album is staggering.

It begins with the trademark theme that was later used as atmosphere for the chilling “The Exorcist” movie. Then the guitars kick in and the awesome bass lines, all played by the great man himself. The track gets into weird territory about 16 minutes in and transports the listener to another realm. The sound is incredible and even though it is bombastic, it is so endearing and intelligently crafted it hits the listener right between the eyes.

It seems to mesmirize with every listen with hypnotic effect encapsulating all that is great about prog rock; the wierd off kilter time signatures, the lengthy sections of overture, the use of a variety of instruments, and the melody that haunts with every listen. Oldfield introduces each new instrument which is compelling to listen to. It is almost a lesson in music as one hears each instrument chime in including Mandolin, glockenspiel, up to the Tubular Bells sound itself. So familiar has this theme become it brings with it instant recognition par excellence.

Oldfield triumphs on this album and it has been sequelled numerous times, but this is the essential CD for instrumental music. Beautiful, haunting, compelling and played with musical virtuosity.

A review by Ivan_Melgar_M:

I always smile at the perspective of an almost unknown 19 years old MIKE OLDFIELD going from label to label asking to release his album with only two 20+ minutes tracks and answering the question. Who plays with you? With a laconic: "I play almost every instrument."

After many expected rejections he found Richard Branson who with his new label (Virgin Records) was willing to support the ambitious project and catalogued it with the V2-001 number, the first album ever released by Virgin Records.

But it's even funnier to imagine all those guys who rejected him, pulling their hairs when William Friedkin bought the rights for "The Exorcist" and the album reached the United States being N° 1 in the charts even before officially in the market.

But let’s go with the album.

"Tubular Bells" is not the best album in the music history, the most complex or the most spectacular, don't misunderstand me, it's a fantastic record and I believe a masterpiece, but the real merit is in "MIKE OLDFIELD" who had the courage to pursue a dream and wrote this incredibly weird album despite all the risks that the project would carry.

Part one is probably the best known by the people because the repetitive introduction created the perfect atmosphere for "The Exorcist", the interesting fact is that it's not really a repetition of the same section over and over, it's more like successive variations over a same theme, because each time he comes back to the original chorus, he adds a new instrument or a chorus, it's an excellent arrangement that introduces us to his world.

After a few repetitions, suddenly comes the explosion, out of nowhere a distorted guitar solo takes the listener by surprise then everything becomes really complex and it's hard to follow the radical changes. About the 16th minute everything gets weirder, a bass solo announces the unexpected and long final section when the perfect pronunciation of Vivian Stanshall starts to announce one by one each instrument that is added to the equation until the track reaches the climax with the tubular bells, simple and brilliant way to close part one.

Part two starts more calmed and even pastoral, the music flows gently giving Mike the chance to prove his versatility in some unusual instruments for Rock like Bagpipe sounding Guitars, Mandolin and Glockenspiel, but again he has something totally unexpected reserved. About the 8th minute the wonderful dissonance starts and again out of nowhere some haunting voices that I would describe as Klingon Opera join the band, it's shocking but at the same time full of passion, strong and dramatic, even if the listener doesn't have the slightest idea why is anything there, you don't need to understand it, as it was made to be enjoyed by the adventurous listener.

But again a radical change comes, a calmed section only interrupted by short explosions of metallic guitars that prepares us for the even more unexpected final. An almost Baroque organ solo changes as magic into "The Sailor's Hornpipe" (Better known as the Popeye theme), sounds a bit odd in the context of the album, but the reality is different, originally this section was even weirder, because Viv Stanshall provided a comic narration (in his Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band style) as tour guide showing the listener around the Manor House where the album was recorded, but this was obviously too strange even for Richard Branson.

I simply love this album from the first to the last note, but as I said before, even more important than the music itself (which as I also said is outstanding), the trascendence of this album goes way beyond in the fact that he dared to release it.

Five solid stars despite all the contradictory opinions I read over the years, at the end, this is my review and I rate it as I feel it. 

Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy
Return To Forever

Return To Forever Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy album cover

A review by Warthur:

Husband and wife team Flora Purim and Airto Moreira left Return to Forever after completing the wonderful “Light as a Feather”, and on “Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy” Chick Corea adjust the band's sound accordingly, more or less removing the Latin influences brought to the table by those two performers and instead going for a more straight-ahead heavy fusion album.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra appears to be the primary influence, and whilst Bill Connors doesn't quite manage to attain the furious speeds on his guitar playing that John McLaughlin does on “The Inner Mounting Flame”, he certainly gives it his best, and his interplay with Chick's electric piano is a highlight of the album's sound. As noted by other reviewers, the influence of other fusion traditions such as the more jazzy end of the Canterbury spectrum creeps in here or there, but otherwise this is a fusion album firmly rooted in the tradition of Mahavishnu, Weather Report, and Miles Davis, with a sound that at points risks becoming generic but is saved by the exceptional musicianship on show.

A review by Sean Trane:

RTF's first overhaul is a major one, and it can be seen this way: the first line-up was more of an early Weather Report, with Farrell's sax and flute as Wayne Shorter, while the second line-up with the appearance of a fiery guitarist can be seen more of Mahavishnu Orchestra-type of group. But the shuffle goes well beyond that: Gone are Purim's disputable vocals, while Farrell's always delightful flute also disappeared (taking away some of the sweet evocative passages from RTF's music), but the light bossa nova rhythms of Airto Moreira are replaced by the ex-Miles & Santana drummer Lenny White, whose drumming is much closer to Cobham (first era of MO), thus reinforcing the parallel I made just above. So with only Corea and Clarke remaining from the original line-up, the group also welcomed previously unknown Bill Connors on guitar, which showed a strong affinity to McLaughlin's fiery style. Recorded in NY in the summer of 73, the album again developed a bird theme artwork for an aerial gatefold sleeve.

Red hot jazz-rock or torrid fusion, such is the choice. The album opens on some cosmic sounds announcing the title track, but soon the track reaches cosmic speed with White's fluid and furious drumming, Connors' soaring guitar and Corea's amazing piano. The Clarke-penned Cosmic Rain is a very funky track, where Stanley doesn't hesitate to outdo every other bassist (jazz or rock) in terms of technicity and virtuosity, even using some fuzz bass ala Canterbury, well supported by Corea's Fender Rhodes. Captain Mouse is probably the album's best-known track with Corea's Rhodes ruling from its 200 MPH start to its much quieter middle section (he soars to stratospheric heights, while adding the odd organ lines over Connors' funky guitar lines. Mothership continues the 1000°C fusion with mind-blowing soloing, even if some of Chick's synth sounds could've been better advised. The two-parts Space Circus starts on an echoed Rhodes over sound effects for an intro, before the group gets mega-funky (not just Clarke, Connors is brilliant, White frankly at home and Chick his usual self. The closing game Maker is well in line with the rest of this fiery fusion-esque torrid jazz-rock, a Rhodes-drenched slow starter that gradually builds up to reach speed of light with Connors's incendiary guitar between Carlos, John and Larry.

Strangely enough, Connors will quit the group to pursue a solo career (a very confidential one to say the least, as he remained obscure forever) to concentrate on his acoustic playing, which might astound more than one expert since it was on electric guitar that his works were most stunning, his style hovering between McLaughlin and Larry Coryell. Nevertheless the album he recorded with RTF is simply the best of the group, even when including the previous line-up's two albums. HOTSG is an astounding record that inspired itself on the early MO albums such as Birds Of Fire or Inner Mounting Flame, without being a carbon copy either. Undoubtedly the best RTF album, no matter what people will say about ADM's future admission and the famed but over-rated RW album.

Solar Fire
Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Manfred Manns Earth Band Solar Fire album cover

Should it be played backwards, Manfred?

Manfred Mann's Earth Band more or less kept getting better and better with each new release. “Solar Fire” was the first in a long series of very good albums released by the band in the 70's. It begins with an excellent Bob Dylan cover in ‘Father Of Day, Father Of Night’. As usual with Manfred Mann's Earth Band, the cover is very different from the original. Obviously, it is a progified version of the Dylan number. The rest of the album's material is self-penned, some tracks by Mann alone, others by him together with other band members and one by Rogers/Slade without Mann. It has always surprised me why Manfred Mann's Earth Band relied so heavily on cover songs (particularly in live performances), when they evidently were capable of producing great songs like these and the ones on subsequent albums.

“Solar Fire” is not my personal favourite Manfred Mann's Earth Band album, but we can find here some of the band's very best and perhaps most progressive self-penned material. With the exception of the short instrumental, ‘Pluto The Dog’ - which easily is my least favourite track here - the material on “Solar Fire” is pretty strong. Songs like ‘In The Beginning, Darkness’ and the title track are highly melodic.

It is a bit odd that ‘Earth, The Circle Part 2’ comes before ‘Earth, The Circle Part 1’ on the album. Do they want us to play the album backwards perhaps? Maybe they did this to reflect the chronological order in which they were written? Or they did it as a joke? Or maybe it is just a simple typing mistake? We will probably never find out. But whatever the reason these tracks are very good.

Recommended!

A Passion Play 
Jethro Tull

Jethro Tull A Passion Play  album cover

“A Passion Play” is a curio of Jethro Tull that divides many listener’s opinions; some say a masterpiece others say it is puerile nonsense. Anderson is a theatrical poet and side 2 is where the album really divides listeners with the story of the Hare That Lost its Spectacles. It is basically a mix of a strange commentary that attempts Zappa like humour. It blends with chaotic fairytale music that may sound pretentious like a childish theater prank laced with humour. Some may shake their head in dismay and ask what were they thinking? Anderson admits that the album is definitely for Jethro Tull addicts and not for the average listener.

It is a Tull tale with bunnies, stillettos, ballerinas and greasy old men. The press absolutely creamed this release and it received bashings from tabloids worldwide. They didn’t get it. It did not help that this release was sandwhiched between the masterpiece “Thick as a Brick” and the great “War Child”. Anderson found out that releases such as “A Passion Play” are not worth the effort but this is a definitive original approach and deserves recognition or its bombasity. It became important and infamous over the years for these reasons.

I guess you could compare this to "Tales From Topographic Oceans" in the way that there's so much controversy about it. Both are very over the top, so there's this love/hate thing going on from TULL fans. Critics were very hard on this album, so hard that Anderson announced he would stop touring. He would tour again of course (about a year later) but it showed how much Ian disagreed with their assessment. He must have felt some sort of retribution by the fact it went number one in the USA.

Like "Thick As A Brick" this is a concept album only this one deals with a man after he has died. We get two side long suites. "A Passion Play (Part 1)" has sort of a strange intro until it kicks in before 1 1/2 minutes. It settles with whistling after 3 minutes, vocals follow. Acoustic guitar then piano join in. A change before 6 minutes as it builds. Great section! Unfortunately we're back to the previous soundscape too soon. It picks up around 9 1/2 minutes then flute leads around 12 minutes as the bass throbs. Vocals are back. Another great section after 14 minutes until before 18 minutes. It ends in a laid back manner.

"A Passion Play(Part 2)" opens with spoken words as a story is told to light classical music for over 4 long minutes. A calm after 5 1/2 minutes with reserved vocals and acoustic guitar. Organ and drums join in. Excellent sound 7 1/2 minutes in with sax then electric guitar. It then sort of meanders along. The organ 14 minutes in is good then the song picks up with vocals. It settles 18 minutes in with strummed guitar. A fuller sound 19 1/2 minutes in which is much better. It ends with reserved vocals and piano. Very much hit and miss with more misses. The laid back sections feel uninspired to me. Maybe if I was into concept albums my feelings would be different, but to rate this just on the music alone it's barely 3 stars.  

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 03 2012 at 20:45
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 05:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

The lyrics are pure whimsy; "When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk, Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk." The theme is therefore that the inanimate object of the mower is speaking about it's existence, it's life on a farm and it's life in a suburban backyard; "Keep them mowing blades sharp." 
O-kay, that's a novel interpretation and not one I've seen before... Smile

A Lawnmower is also the name of a person who cuts crass, as in the film The Lawnmower Man. My understanding of the story of the song is that its about a lazy youth called Jacob who is employed as a lawnmower and contrary to the advice of everyone around him to do other things, he's happy with his lot and i not prepared to take that risk - he's most certainly a human since he was schooled by Miss Mort. The cover picture shows Jacob lying on the bench with the inanimate object of the lawnmower to his right - I believe the actual lawnmower was added into the picture at Gabriel's request after Swanwick referred to Jacob being a lawnmower by profession.

I didn't realise it was this deep! Thanks for that I would like to add that in the album listing too.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 05:39

I didn't realise it was this deep! Thanks for that I would like to add that in the album listing too.
Sure, feel free - I assumed that's how everyone reads it - it's certainly not as deep as walking and talking mowing machines. Wink
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 05:43
Cheers!

here's the rewrite:

The single from the album came in the unlikely form of a song about a lawnmower, ‘I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)’. The drone of the lawnmower makes an appearance at the end of the track and it is very effective in making a statement that lawnmowing is part of the English past time, maintaining a healthy lawn is the key. The lyrics are pure whimsy; "When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk, Me, I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell me by the way I walk." The theme could be interpreted that the inanimate object of the mower is speaking about it's existence; "Keep them mowing blades sharp." However, the story of the song is reputedly focussed on Jacob, a lazy youth who is employed as a lawn mower and, contrary to the advice of those around him to engage in other activities, he remains happy with his circumstances and not prepared to take any risks. The album cover depicts Jacob lying on the bench with the inanimate object of the lawnmower in reference to this song. The track ends on Gabriel's fluttering flute solo and an odd jazz rock beat, but radio stations adored playing this as it was such an endearing curiosity
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 05:44

Sure, feel free - I assumed that's how everyone reads it - it's certainly not as deep as walking and talking mowing machines. Wink

I agree. I'd assumed the surrealistic option but the plain reading is obviously the correct one. Can't believe I never read lawnmower as  a person until you pointed it out.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 05:45

1973 - continued

Vietato ai Minori di 18 Anni 
Jumbo

Jumbo Vietato ai Minori di 18 Anni  album cover

A review by Finnforest:

Another Italian classic from that greatest of years, 1973.

If you want to find the most intriguing Italian stuff, you have to dig beyond the surface of the PFM/Banco/Orme albums and find the hidden gems. Nothing against the big groups but as with anything, there are lots of great lesser known albums that feature treasures of their own, and they sometimes take more chances. Here's one of those delicious lesser known treats.

This is one those bands that gets maligned for having "harsh Italian vocals" which makes me laugh because this usually means the vocals are passionate, energetic and gregarious. In other words, the guy has a pulse. I've heard Alvaro Fella described as sounding like Roger Chapman, and Jumbo described as being somewhat difficult to get into. They have a harder edge that compares to bands like Jet and De De Lind but they also have a more avant side than those two groups. Will you like them? Here's another way I can describe them:

Jumbo sounds like the Italian version of Ange! If you like Christian Decamps boisterous spirit and the bands rowdy theatrical sound you will love Jumbo. They are over-the-top sometimes but this music is lively, fun, and interesting despite the somewhat dark lyrical content. A special mention goes to drummer Tullio Gianatello who is nothing short of fantastic.

"Specchio" explodes immediately with Fella's big welcoming hug voice and right off the bat we have squealy electric acid guitars, acoustic, organ, flute, good audible bass and drums. At 5 minutes a nice break of piano and violin. "Come Verai" starts with some playful piano and chants before a nice guitar solo. The song gets more rocking as it goes with some horns towards the end. "Il Ritorno" is a strange short interlude that sounds like a Pierrot Lunaire "Gudrun" cut.

"Via Larga" continues the strangeness with flute and horns and quirky guitars. At 1:20 there's a wonderful moment where the boys sing like a drunken gang in a pub, fa la la la..then there's a quiet flute interlude. A vocal section follows with more impressive instrumental work. "Gil" is another trippy avant piece with Fella singing over all manner of unstructured weirdness and hand drums. "Vangelo" has a distinct Tullish feel to it, a bit folky with some acid guitar and flute in the latter half.

"40 Gradi" is a good heavy psych rock tune that feature prominent keyboards and acoustic guitar in the background, with a Robby Krieger-like sound on the lead guitar. We close with a brief piece called "No!" in which everyone gets in one last exuberant jam.

If you need one more reason to try Jumbo consider this: Reviewers give it 5 stars that do not pass those out too freely. The excellent Italian gatefold mini-LP sleeve cd reissue is of the highest quality and the booklet contains a band history, lyrics, and band photo. Essential to an Italian collection.

With all the complaints I've read about the singers vocals I'm surprised there wasn't a warning label about it on the cd cover. As Finnforest mentions in his review, at least "the guy has a pulse". I found this to be a bit of a grower, and it's still growing. Haha. This has truly become one of my favourite Italian records. Excellent flute, organ and guitar throughout. Yes, the vocals can be harsh but they are also reserved a lot of the time. Oh, I almost forgot about the mellotron on three of the tracks. Nice. I love the picture of the band in the liner notes. The seventies were a special time.

"Specchio" features a good contrast between the aggressive and mellow sections. The vocals hit you right away like a pale of cold water in the face, with the usual response being "What the ..." Hammond organ followed by some fine guitar play 2 minutes in. Flute and more organ follow. The guitar is back 4 minutes in just ripping it up. Violin after 5 minutes with piano. The rough vocals return before the song ends with organ.

"Come Vorrei Essere Uguale A Te" opens with a distant sounding piano which gives way to acoustic guitar then electric guitar and reserved vocals. It kicks into gear 3 minutes in with fast paced drumming and sax blasts as the organ rides shotgun. "Il Ritorno Del Signor K" is a 2 minute track that features piano, acoustic guitar and vocals.

"Via Larga" opens with a collage of different intricate sounds all blending together perfectly like an early PRESENT album. Vocal melodies arrive before the song stops and returns with a pastoral section with flute leading the way. Restrained vocals with some violin and acoustic guitar a minute later. "Gil" is an experimental song with some mellotron after 2 minutes. The vocals are experimental too. I like this one. The percussion 5 1/2 minutes in to the end is cool.

"Vangelio" has some atmosphere to it. Church bells and haunting vocals will do that. We get a melody 3 1/2 minutes in with vocals. Some nice piano as drums come pounding in. Guitar tears it up for a while. Flute and piano to end the crazy ride.

I love the sound in "40 Gradi" once it gets going about 1 1/2 minutes in. It reminds me of ANEKDOTEN. This is my favourite track. It gets fairly atmospheric after 4 minutes. Mellotron waves crash the soundscape with sax in tow after 5 minutes. "No!" features theatrical vocals, mellotron, heavy drums, organ and flute. I'm a bigger fan of the second half of this album than the first half, but to me this is easily a 4 star record, perhaps closer to 4.5 stars.

Never Turn Your Back On A Friend
Budgie

Budgie Never Turn Your Back On A Friend album cover 

A review by Warthur:

Another high-class album from Budgie, this one is a marked improvement from “Squawk” and opens with the classic ‘Breadfan’, which not only influenced Metallica but sounds an awful lot like early Rush - partly due to the power trio instrumentation, partly because singer Burke Shelley's singing voice had at this point developed a falsetto highly reminiscent of Geddy Lee's. Or maybe, since this came out before Rush's debut, it would be more appropriate to say Geddy Lee's falsetto sounds like Burke Shelley's.

Another touchpoint to early Rush is the Led Zeppelin love - see the cover of blues standard ‘Baby Please Don't Go’ - but Budgie also shows the influence of the other giant of early 1970s proto-metal, Black Sabbath, with the doomy ‘In the Grip of a Tyrefitter's Hand’. The album isn't quite perfect - in particular, the slow dirge ‘Parents’ is about two to three times longer than it really needs to be, with its whining vocals and its laid-back, uninspiring classic rock musical backing. Still, on the whole the album is a more than creditable slice of proto-metal with a good claim, considering ‘Breadfan’'s insane pace, to be a foundational document of speed metal.

Alphataurus
Alphataurus

Alphataurus Alphataurus album cover

A review by Finnforest:

A most beloved RPI title.

Definitely one of the classics of the early 70s Italian scene. Alphataurus reside on the heavier side of things with perhaps some influence by the likes of Black Sabbath or Deep Purple. But while I believe there is some outside English influence they are wholeheartedly steeped in RPI passion with a fertile blend of symphonic and heavy-prog. The music is really quite good. Dramatic vocals, heavy dark riffs drenched in organ with fluid bass. Some spacier sections come and go throughout providing balance. The vinyl magic reissue does a nice job with the cover art, but as someone else mentioned, once you get the CD out you will never get it back into the slot. They made the case a bit too small it seems. Alphataurus has grown leaps and bounds on me since I first heard it and I've had to up my rating. Essential for RPI fanatics.

Check out the album cover! Absolutely gorgeous. They wouldn't disappoint on the followup either. This is one of my all time favourite RPI recordings. The first song "Peccato D'orgoglia" features lots of time changes and mood shifts. It opens with a brief jazz vibe then settles in with vocals. I can't say enough about the vocals here. Passion. I like the section 3 1/2 minutes in of acoustic guitar and organ then the PINK FLOYD-like rhythm from about the 4 1/2 minute mark to the 5 1/2 mark. It settles with organ before 6 minutes then kicks in at 6 1/2 minutes. Vocals join in with passion, guitar follows, what a section! A calm with floating organ after 9 minutes then the tempo picks up again. It turns spacey before the vocals return.

"Dopo L'uragano" opens with thunder as gentle guitar comes in, leading us to emotional vocals then SABBATH like guitar riffs. Check out the passion in those vocals before 2 1/2 minutes. The song then changes completely with some great drumming, then back to the heaviness. Some piano is sprinkled in. I like this song a lot. I actually asked an elderly Italian man if he'd read some of the lyrics in the liner notes, and he told me this song was about a big storm, a hurricane. I thought that was pretty cool.

"Croma" is a short instrumental that is uplifting a minute in to the end. My favourite song is "La Mente Vola" it's like two different songs, the first part is fairly mellow with a beat that gets fuller. I like it. It changes around 3 1/2 minutes as piano and drums take over. The second part at about 4 minutes in is simply amazing! The vocals couldn't be better and the guitar and synths are incredible. So emotional for me. Just an amazing song.

"Ombra Muta" has some heavy bass and cool sounding guitar before the organ joins in. Vocals aren't far behind thankfully. I love this guy. More huge bass when he stops singing and the tempo picks up. Check out the drumming! Themes are repeated. Some passion in those vocals 2 1/2 minutes in. Check out the guitar/drum section before 4 minutes. The organ and bass sound so good after 7 minutes. Vocals follow. This is the perfect Italian album. I can't tell you how much joy and emotion this gives me.

Camel
Camel

Camel Camel album cover

A review from AtomicCrimsonRush:

Camel demonstrate how to start an illustrious career. The debut album from the symphonic prog masters would have been the envy of most newcomers to the progressive style of the 70s. It features what fans have grown to love about the band. Beautiful, compelling instrumentals, 'Six Ate', played in 6/8 time sig changes, and melodic songs with lengthy instrumental jams, such as 'Curiosity' and 'Never Let Go'. Barden's keyboards are inspirational but the real star is Latimer on vocals and guitar. The spirit of Camel resides in these artists, though it can never be underestimated the power of Ward's accomplished drumming and Ferguson's pounding basslines. Together they were untouchable, pure magic and there was never a lineup like them in early symphonic prog.

'Slow Yourself Down' and 'Separation' are good examples of the Camel spirit. Short blasts of drums and keys merge with melodic verses to create an atmosphere of immense tension that surprises as it twists and turns in various musical directions. Latimer's guitar is ever present and he rips out some searing lead breaks. The time sig changes are ubiquitous on each track and the innovation and creativity on this debut is astounding.

Things slow down considerably on 'Curiosity' with a strong bass line from Ferguson. Latimer sings in a falsetto style in tune to the piano melody. His duel guitar playing is in perfect harmonic melody. The echoing vocals are effective, "Sail, sail away, sail, sail away...", but the best part of the track is when the pace picks up with a blistering lead guitar solo. This is soon followed by staccato stabs on a piano, balanced by guitar runs and organ chord progressions.

‘Arabaluda’ is an instrumental that builds gradually to a mountain peak with space effects and an inspired chord structure, not to mention that shimmering organ solo from Bardens. The time sig is off the scale at times on this track. Ward drums with intriguing metrical shapes and the guitars are rock heavy with occasional meanderings into softer territory.

'Mystic Queen' begins with gorgeous acoustic picking and psychedelic phased vocals. "Have you seen the mystic queen riding in her limousine, over hills, over dales, till morning..." There is an excellent keyboard solo from Bardens that is haunting and memorable. Latimer's guitar sings to us with angelic beauty. The instrumental section is once again a showcase of virtuoso performance. Latimer violins his guitar towards the end of the track, similar to a section of 'Lady Fantasy' on the next album.

Camel pull out all the stops on their first album and it is a pleasurable experience. It all gels together like a band on a mission, and indeed they were. For all its estranged qualities, the songs are accessible due to the rocking beats and soft vocals. Camels' debut album is a must have for those interested in early 70s prog rock.

Moontan
Golden Earring

Golden Earring Moontan album cover

Radar Love... and the rest!

"Moontan" is the best album from Golden earring featuring their most famous compositions especially th song that appears on countless rock compilations, 'Radar Love'. The guitar riffing and grooving rhythm is one of the most recognised rock anthems in the history of rock.

On this, their 9th album, there is a psychedelic heaviness in Golden Earring's music and all is enhanced by the lead vocals of multi instrumentalist Barry Hay who plays flute, sax and guitar. George Kooymans, is the main guitarist for the band. Rinus Gerritsen is on bass, and Keyboards to ensure the sound is always motoring along on a hook, and he is helped by the wonderful drumming of Cesar Zuiderwijk. Golden Earring certainly had a winner on their hands with this lineup and this album. In fact this is the one album that catapulted the band to worldwide success, and they were a one hit wonder in most countries, despite releasing many albums after "Moontan".

There are great songs on "Moontan". 'Candy's Going Bad' is a terrific opener with superb riffing and vocals. 'Are You Receiving Me' and 'Suzy Lunacy' are psychedelic and heavy, and then there is the extended version of 'Radar Love' which is far superior to the radio edit, with an extended guitar solo and that awesome pumping bassline. 'The Vanilla Queen' closes the album on a high note which is the proggiest song on the album and one of the most famous for the band and a live favourite.

To conclude, the album "Moontan" was a milestone for the band and still stands the test of time in being one of the greatest rock albums of the 70s.

A review by Sean Trane:

To most of the people who've heard of GE outside The Netherlands, this is probably through this album, but not under this wild cover. Returning to a more GE style (as in Seven Tears instead of Together), the group really put all of the chances behind them, and even used of nudity in that gothic cabaret dancer. Needless to say the artwork did not cross the borders easily (especially the WASP borders), but when it didn't, publicity stunts were managed and a different cover was used (one of an earring hanging from an ear), but the GE name made headlines, followed by an unlikely international hit called Radar Love. While the album named Moontan appeared more or less at the same time in the western world, it presented different track lists in different countries, some even boasting the oldie (but goodie) Big Tree, Blue Sea (from Walls of Dolls) to make this discovery album even stronger, but I will speak of the Dutch release.

As rapidly mentioned above GE returned to longer tracks, since it allowed them to exploit their real tightness and some really fine instrumental interplay and there are a couple beauties here, namely the 9-mins+ Are You Receiving Me?, where Barry Hay blows some real fine winds (his sax tone is slightly reminiscent of VdGG's Jaxon) and even a good accordion break while later Kooymans rips a mean solo, and Rinus' bass rules underneath it all. Another huge success is the strange and stuffed Vanilla Queen (the dancer on the sleeve?) with its weird synth slowly climbing up and down the sound barrier, while the middle section (with Kooymans' solo) is yet another beauty (GE was on top of its game), before veering downright odd with these female interventions and bringing back the music with distant strings and brass section to cap it all off. Very impressive, these guys outdid Alquin, E&F and came close to master like Focus and Finch or even Supersister.

OK, you've all heard the excellent driving anthem Radar Love, so I won't spend anymore time on it, except to tell you that drummer Cesar jumped from behind his kit over it to land in front during this track in concert, and while I don't think he still does in his late 50, this was one of those rare stunts that only Iggy Pop could've bettered. The rest of the album is generally good but lacks the spectacular aspects of these three tracks, although the US copies remedies to this by including Big Tree, Blue Sea, thus making the album a killer. But the original version of this album is a tad less brilliant but remains a must for 70's prog fans.

Over-Nite Sensation
Frank Zappa

Frank Zappa Over-Nite Sensation album cover

A review by Conor Fynes:

With this album (and it's follow-up “Apostrophe,”) Zappa would wander into a realm that many progressive artists find themselves too afraid to venture forth into, the land of pop music. Taking his trademark inventiveness and melding it with the more conventional objectives of popular music; the result is a ridiculously fun mess that is soaked in equal parts quirk and musical intelligence.

It was this risk that actually brought Zappa into the mainstream eye. While the conventions of pop might be peeking their heads through the music here, this is still certainly not what would be considered 'pop' by most people. There are multiple vocalists here, and plenty of different instruments at work; occasionally doing some very technically proficient things. Despite the fact that Zappa manages to incorperate so many sounds (ranging from xylophone to motown vocals to classical violin,) the beating heart of 'Overnite Sensation' is still the idea of the 'upbeat pop ditty.'

An otherwise fun and intelligent collection of songs, “Overnite Sensation” does have it's faults. It is clear that the man was checking out new territory in his music career, so it was inevitable there would be problems to work out. First among these issues are the vocals. While Zappa's singing is functional, it is on some of the guest vocal work that really weakens some of the otherwise great music. Shrieky male soul vocals from the throat of trumpet player Ricky Lancelotti are very unpleasant to listen to. While it may have been an intended effect for the singing to sound so strained and abrasive, it ends up ruining a few tracks ('50/50,' for example) that could have otherwise been alot more listenable.

Another problem is the lyrical content itself. While Frank was never a man to take himself seriously, one might wish at times that he would let the music drown out the words. While comedy can certainly make music more enjoyable (Zappa does have a few funny moments in his career,) this is not very good humour; in fact, it is simply bad humour. With a considerable portion of 'Overnite's lyrical content being derived from the topic of off-key sexual encounters, dental floss, it feels like the album could have been much more enjoyable if Frank had left his questionable taste in comedy out of the picture.

With “Apostrophe” thankfully, Zappa would correct alot of the issues that “Overnite Sensation” suffers with. This album is certainly musically sound; a few parts even amount to being incredible. However, many problems (including a lack of cohesion between tracks) make “Overnite Sensation” a much less enjoyable experience than it could have been.

Dedicato a Frazz
Semiramis

Semiramis Dedicato a Frazz album cover

A review by Finnforest:

There are a few albums in the rock universe written and recorded by younger teenagers and this is one of them. While those albums can sometimes be immature there is often an inherent excitement and passion that only the young, naïve, uninhibited spirit can conjure. Once a musician becomes older and more seasoned they may well produce better work but there is a certain spark to youth that can be imitated but not authentically captured again. Semiramis is one of those magical products of youth that is worth hearing. It also comes from the height of the classic period of Italian prog and lives up to the competition of the great work surrounding it.

The music of Semiramis is not easy to describe. I suppose if I had to try I would say its crazy theatrical edge brings to mind Ange. Gnosis reviewer Tom Hayes gives the best description I've ever read: "So it's an established fact that in Italy during the period between 1971-1974, a music movement existed where bands would challenge each other to see who could be the most imaginative, who could create the album for the ages. They were all painters and sculptors just as in Renaissance Italy. Dedicato A Frazz is Michaelangelo's 'David'. Combining elements of Italian folk, circus, hard rock, Baroque church music, jazz, classical, and a good dose of insanity, Dedicato A Frazz pounds every sense, challenges every synapse in a flurry of ideas. After literally hundreds of listens, I still hear a different album each time. There is no weak link, no attempt at copying others works, no tries at banal commercialism. Just uninhibited reckless abandon of the imagination combined with musical expertise. Most tracks have a few hundred ideas and change moods faster than a bipolar woman left in the cold. Acoustic moments are quickly offset by heavy electric ones. Quiet moments of solitude are blasted away by militaristic might. It's never enough to have one striking contrast. No, Semiramis pile it on from every angle. Synths go awry, voices scream, guitars go a hundred miles a second, drums jettison you across the room. How could a group compose so many ideas? There are literally 15 albums on this!" [quoted paragraph by Tom Hayes, 2001]

The boys from Rome started around 1970 playing covers of Sabbath, Zeppelin, Stones and Italian groups. Younger brother Michele Zarrillo, a 15 year old musical prodigy joined the band and wrote the material on this album. The band then started playing the Italian festival scene. Drummer Memmo Pulvano fondly remembered the Villa Pamphilli festival in this 2003 interview: "We had a 24 minute song to play there, at the sound check Michele made an astonishing solo, and all the technicians stopped their work to listen to him, you know he was only 15! But I remember noticing that some popular guitarists said to the sound engineers to turn the volume down....Then the show began, and when our turn came we were very excited: we had just played in front of small audiences, and there were lots of people there! People sitting on the grass and you couldn't even see the lawn! We started playing, and I had behind me the best Italian drummers, and they were watching me. It was incredible; my favorite drummers were listening at me! At the end some of them came to me congratulating, it was very satisfying because I was a self-taught drummer. Our song ended with a long guitar solo, it was common at the time, and Michele played it perfectly, but the engineers turned down the volume, it was due to the other guitarists' pressures I had noticed before! Michele was really angry for this, but they told us we had played too much. I was very sad then, but after a while Banco del Mutuo Soccorso started playing and it was a pleasure!" [interview with Memmo Pulvano, by Augusto Croce, september 2003]

It's true as mentioned by others that the production is not perfect and the sound somewhat compromised but it's really not so bad. Poor sound is a turnoff to me but I have no trouble dealing with this album. The vocals are fine robust Italian at their lively best. The guitar playing is energetic on the electric side and expressive on the acoustic side. The rest of the band are fine musicians but not the best I've ever heard. Composition is amazing for a 16 year old kid, this is material you will have to play many times to fully appreciate. A definite grower. It is a great example of the kind of spirit that makes me love these classic Italian albums so much.

This is an essential classic for anyone pursuing an Italian prog collection. For the wider prog community I rate the album excellent but can't claim it essential to everyone. The Trident Records mini-lp sleeve reissue is fabulous with its faithful reproduction of the gorgeous inner gatefold art, and the fine booklet with band history and rare photo of the group playing live at a '73 outdoor festival. I would give anything to have been able to witness those large Italian festivals in 72-74. 

Legend
Henry Cow

Henry Cow Legend album cover

A review by Sean Trane:

Before starting, let's just dispel a few myths: the first being that HC originated from Cambridge (as did Pink Floyd) and not Canterbury, even if sound-wise they approached Kent's capital. The second is how HC is regarded as the RIO par excellence: when the RIO chart was sealed by six groups coming from six lands, Henry Cow was nearing the end of its existence, so in fact very few of its music is sporting the RIO flag, even if of course the spirit and intention was there. As for history, HC's roots can be traced back to 68 with guitarist/violinist Frith and keyboards/windman Hodginson's partnership, as later joined consecutively by Greaves on bass, Cutler (through a common gig with the Ottawa Music Company) on drums and eventually Geoff Leigh (who would depart soon after this album's release) on wind instruments. This album is to be read as Leg End (hence the sox artwork) and quickly became the UFO that every self-respecting progressive artist had to hear (hence its legend) - I never thought I'd be able to pull this one ;-).

Musically describing Henry Cow is not as risqué as you might think (even if they were groundbreaking and never-done before), but if you can picture Gentle Giant/Gryphon pre-classical music, mixed with Zappa's sense of aesthetics, crossed with Soft Machine's zaniness, and Bartok's school of classical composition, you're actually fairly close to the truth. In all truth, Leg End is maybe the most accessible of HC's records because the least dissonant, but that's not saying that this album's music is top 40 material, far from it. You will find atonal, discordant moments two of the last three tracks), but compared to future records of theirs, this is rather lower key.

Out of the most outstanding works ever put out is Amygdala with its stupendous Canterbury jazz-prog ala Hatfield with a more unconventional array of instrument. This tracks rocks, jazzes, kents, classics, sweeps you in the stratosphere and throws you back out after it chewed your brains out, after having trampled down by a Gryphon-like beat. The flipside opener Yellow Half-Moon is also quite awesome, providing chills down the spine once the flute takes centerstage, before quickly leading in the closing section Teenbeat, which will not fail to shred your mind into a pulp-like pasta plate with Frith's fuzz guitar solo.

More unsettling are the two tracks Nirvana and Teenbeat who seems to get entangled throughout the track list; Teenbeat is often axed towards free-jazz and its three parts can be considered like the harder to get music, even if the reprise is much more energetic (Cutler being outstanding, here), as they sound like some kind of Centipede in Septober Energy. The Nirvana thing is book-ending the album's first side and not that spectacular. While a good part of the album's flipside is occupied by two free-jazz/atonal music, neither Chaffing, nor Bellycan are enthralling, but they sandwich the only sung track, the Wyatt-ey Nine Funerals.

Apparently this record was made from a flurry of material to choose from, and I find it rather dismaying that there aren't posthumous releases (at least two or three) of prior-to-debut-album music that have been made available before. Nevertheless, if you are not that much into RIO (or future RIO), but would like to investigate Henry Cow, I suggest that you start with LegEnd, because it only gets more complex and dissonant from this one onward. In the meantime HC's debut stands as my fave from them and could have reached the fifth star had they diddled a little less with atonalities.

A review by Warthur:

Whether “LegEnd” by Henry Cow is an "RIO" album or not seems to be a matter of debate. For my part, I would say that the term "RIO" is meaningless when applied to anything released before the actual RIO festivals were set up, because the participants in them had very little in common musically beyond being shunned by the record companies and having an avant-garde approach to progressive music. It makes somewhat more sense to apply the label to works by the original bands after the festivals kicked off, since it would only be natural for them to draw more on each others' ideas after working so closely together, and it makes perfect sense to apply it.

So, if “LegEnd” isn't RIO, what is it? For my part, I think it has an undeniably Canterbury-influenced sound, making it no surprise that Henry Cow members would crop up on undeniably Canterbury albums from time to time. It sounds, in fact, like the group taking the Soft Machine's work on “Third” in a different direction from the free jazz that legendary group would drift into on its fourth and fifth studio albums, opting instead to add a few elements of chamber music, draining out the spaciness and adding some wild Gentle Giant instrumentation and complexity (and some vocal harmonies when it comes to the matter of the Citizen King). It's certainly an interesting mixture and a good start for the group, though their most original work was yet to come.

Future Days 
Can

Can Future Days  album cover

Nothing made sense and nobody cared. The album cover says it all; bright blue background, gold ancient scroll border, non-plussed font and a candelabra or trident in the centre; screams we are Can and if you don't like us, tough! The listener may approach Can with a degree of consternation due to the high strangeness of the music, the way it disturbs and alienates. However, “Future days” is more accessible than "Tago Mago", though by no means conventional.

'Future Days', the title track, begins with static sonic noise that builds slowly, ominously, and threatening to break out. It slowly builds with a mod tempo, soft bass, and strange organ. Nothing happens as you might expect, it's all random and improvisational. As the sizzling continues, an estranged muffled voice talks away jibberish and the music sounds kind of Egyptian. An ambience is created as the next section begins with laid back vocals that are actually sung and have a melody, the time sig is odd, the guitar is sporadic but the irregular style of the song is quite enticing. The serrated edge droning is hypnotic and a real feature of the track. It gets louder and more intrusive as the song progresses. There is a space rock feel that ensues towards the end.

'Spray' is appropriate from a band named Can. It is highly experimental and freaky with a crackerlacking rhythm, that is off kilter and alienating. It sounds like The Residents meets Gong and that's a weird combination. The sound sizzles with lashings of disturbing manic drums and irregular organ washes, at times sounding like a washing machine or a car exhaust. The unfathomable music has to be experienced personally in order to gain any appreciation of just how enigmatic this is. There are lead guitar blasts that echo, tom tom beats and burbling vocalisations. As experimental and improvisational as a band gets, breaking all boundaries dividing loyalties to prog, Can are unsurpassed.

'Moonshake' sits on one note with a few variations and a driving beat motors along, with very soft vocals and a type of melody. 'Bel Air' is the 20 minute epic to end the album, reminiscent of the mammoth free form epics on "Tago Mago". It is guaranteed to shock some and turn them away, sending them scurrying and screaming for something with some kind of melody and structure. The music is downright depressing at times and unsettling. It is stupefying but not stupid, it is rather intelligently executed, a band with a purpose.

Can are outside the box but they are a compelling band. Their music became spoiled with a more commercial album during the 80s but their first 6 albums are the best. This album and "Tago Mago" are Can at their most experimental and influenced a plethora of artists.

Radio Gnome Invisible Part 1 - Flying Teapot 
Gong

Gong Radio Gnome Invisible Part 1 - Flying Teapot  album cover

"Banana, nirvana, manana (who knows)" It doesn't get any more psychedelic than this! "Then when you're receiving, Perceiving your telepathic powers, Who knows why the wind blows through this window, Why you believe in me, We believe in you..." So begins the first track of the first part of the infamous “Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy”. This one was followed by the equally wonderful “Angel's Egg” and the masterpiece to end this “You”. The first album is a real trip introducing the 'invisible ideological empire' of Pot Head Pixies, Zero the Hero, The Octave Doctors and of course the Space Witch.

The second track is as strange. The title track; "If you feel belief hi Pete, I got a story to tell you, Of a band of little green men, From a far away planet, If you want to know about love, Then ask the wee geezer, He can teach you telepathy, He can read your mind backwards, If you try to do the cat in You can only be a loser, Paranoia never touch him, He's got ways of laughter..." The music consists of a hyper psychedelic groove and very weird instrumentation. Daevid Allen is the guitarist, Francis Bacon plays VCS3 synth, electric & upright pianos, bass, Tim Blake plays the VCS3 synth, crystal machine, and Steve Hillage is the chief guitarist. He was the member that made the difference to the transition from underground psych act to bonafide consummate professional Canterbury stars. Hillage's spacey glissando guitar is incredible, and he works in beautifully with the soundscape of Blake’s keyboards creating an ethereal spacey quality that lifts each track to the stratosphere. He had a wonderful solo career after his stint with Gong, but he will always be remembered for this trilogy. The sax by Didier Malherbe is dreamy and surreal.

Next track, ‘The Pot Head Pixies’ has tantalising sounds and lyrics; "They got a Flying Teapot, don't need a taxi I am you are we are crazy! They're from the planet of love, the Pot Head Pixies, I am you are we are crazy! Ding dang dong, singing the song, it's pretty catchy..." The sax is fun and disjointed sporadic drumming works along with those guitar swells. The way the women vocalise "crazy" is memorable and humorous. This may be their funniest song yet it is seriously well played instrumentally.

'The Octave Doctors And The Crystal Machine' is a short burst of sound, a spaced out instrumental, a synth soaked ambient queasy sound that hooks into the subconscious level. It has no time signature and is curiously cold and Tangerine Dream like compared to other Gong tracks. 'Zero the Hero and the Witch's Spell' is very odd, the time sig is slow and the vocals are painful sustained cries; "I love your face, I love your space, I love your rays baby, And if you like I'll stay tonight!" The sax that follows is fractured, zany and off kilter, and there is an extended surreal section with ghostly moans and a hypnotic creepy riff, free form anti music, dysfunctional music at its highest level.

The last track to finish the first part of the trilogy is delightful. 'Witch's Song/ I Am Your Pussy' stands out as do all of Smyth's contributions. Gilli Smyth plays the orgone box, and of course is billed as the space whisperer. On this she sings the erotically charged 'I Am Your Pussy'. The lyrics are deliriously nasty; "I am your pussy, You are my tramp... Mioaw... mioaw... mioaw... You can be a cat too, Shadow tied to a tree, Sometimes I slide away To be free, Cover you with a warm dark mothering, Fill you with animal love..." . She is proud to be the space witch of the Planet Gong universe. She was heard on "Camembert Electrique" with 'I Am Your Animal' and will return on "Angel's Egg" with the 'Prostitute Poem'. She basically sings in seductive whispers and sounds quite intoxicating. "Be careful or I might scratch you", Smyth whispers sardonically and this is followed by manic witchy laughter.

The first part of the “Radio Gnome Invisible trilogy” seems to descend to darker atmospherics as the album progresses. None of the parts of the trilogy are dispensable, all have equal value, and are outstanding examples of Canterbury psychedelia at its best.

Tales From Topographic Oceans
Yes

Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans album cover

The only way is down when Yes reached the summit. Yes’ controversial and yet indispensable much mailigned anti-masterpiece album has been the talking point of music for years. The album divides loyalties among critics right down the middle, love it or loathe it. Suffice it to state that the album is not designed to appeal to everybody and raised the hackles of the music industry due to it's over indulgence in prog excess. Perhaps it is the peak of over progging an album. The thing has 4 monsters that devour entire sides of vinyl, and music companies were less than impressed. However, Yes soldiered on relentlessly and proudly with their behemoth, performing it in its entirety on the stage to baffled audiences, and effectively transformed the way people perceived music. Does it have to be 3 minute pieces for the radio? Obviously, not. Can we have 2 albums with only 4 songs? Obviously, yes. Someone had to do it but when is too much of something simply too much? Yes created the concept of the 'Topographic' category of albums.

The album has taken on a life of it's own creating it's own folklore, the term used by music artists is to create their own 'Topographic' album. What are they talking about? The peak of success, the album that all others are measured against. A work of art that becomes the pinnacle of success, yet it is widely hated. Yes were taking huge chances with the album content, would people want an album of 4 massive epics? Furthermore, nobody understood the lyrics, though critics rattle on about some ancient religious new age Shastric Scriptures mumbo jumbo that Anderson seemed to be obsessed with, reading the "Autobiography of a Yogi" as a launching pad for the themes. The lyrics effectively become as surreal as the music, as inseperable as Howe's guitars and Squire's bass, and there are some wonderful lyrical moments with mantras, chants and estranged singing, "Nous Sommes Du Soleil", Anderson creating his own mythology, here at his bombastic best, translating it as, "We love when we play."

The music is essential in every sense of the word, it even divided the band itself, Wakeman took off on extended leave such was his angst over the musical direction, thus signifying the end of a Yes era with Wakeman out of the picture. The caped wonder at times had little to do and, during a Manchester Free Trade Hall concert performance, had his roadie order a chicken curry vindaloo, and devoured it while Squire and Howe played, much to the astonishment of Anderson, "I don't believe it, he's eating a curry!" Wakeman scarpered for greener pastures and eventually discovered it was found in The Centre of the Earth. Much to the chagrin of Yes members, Wakeman loves to trash the "TFTO" album and for good reason as he is virtually invisible musically.

The songs on “TFTO” range from brilliant, the opening and closing track, to mediocre, the middle section. The album plays out like a 4 act play, the stunning intro that hooks in the listener, followed by a lull in the action, a calm before the storm, almost a dreamy sleepy section, and then finally culminating in a majestic stirring epic finale. The middle is sandwiched between inspired musical genius, and therein lies the problem. Were yes being too clever for their own good? The album is a testament of overdoing everything to the point of parody. Indeed, Spinal Tap parodied the lavish sets on their film. Dean's artwork was translated to the stage and practically dwarfed the band members who were lost in their own fantasised 'Stonehenge' creation.

Everything on the album is upsized and overblown, even the infamous cover artwork is the best of Dean with fish swimming in dreamscape oceans, captured in enigmatic glorious vinyl gatefold. “Relayer” brought the band back down to earth in some ways but “TFTO” will always remain a symbol of prog excess, and it is just about the most discussed album in history.

A review by Finnorest:

Yes, this is a controversial album. And yes, I'm on the side of those who believe this album is the definition of progressive music. Long but not boring. Adventurous. Beautiful. That point in a band's career when all the pieces come together through chance, and the Genie gets out of the bottle. Most importantly, the album, along with Yessongs and Close to the Edge, has the ability to take the listener to that special place, that other world depicted so successfully by Roger Dean. I don't need to go into much detail when discussing classic albums, they have already been disected in so many lengthy reviews. Long term I will be a stingy awarder of the 5 stars, but with Topographic there is no denying. This is the real deal and so superior to what passes today for music. While everything through Drama would have its moments, this would be Yes's last truly great moment. For newbies to Yes however, this is not the place to start. It is the place to end. Start with The Yes Album or Fragile, then Yessongs and Close to the Edge, then this one. With those 5 you have Yes's best work. If still interested which I'm sure you will be, you can proceed with what preceded them and what came after.

A review by Conor Fynes:

'Tales From Topographic Oceans' - Yes (9/10)

This album has become famous due to the polarity in its reception. Some people regard it as pretentious, overblown trash and the definition of why prog never became more popular, and others regard it as a misunderstood masterpiece. While it's definitely one of the biggest 'grower' albums I've ever heard, I knew from the first listen to this work onwards that this was a beautiful piece of music; if not the highlight of Yes' career. While I can certainly see people not liking it, I see it as being a huge portion that might be too massive for some people to chew. To my ears however, there's some imperfections along the way, but there's a lot of beauty to behold here, and some of Yes' best compositional moments.

The album is essentially broken down into four 'epic' compositions each possessing a side of a vinyl record. A concept piece revolving around Hindu and Buddhist religious philosophies, the tracks reflect the ideals of Truth, Knowledge, Culture, and Freedom respectively. The lyrics are very tastefully done to the point of being spiritual; some of the best lyrics of Anderson's entire career can be found here.

Musically, it's a mixed hat, and this is where a lot of the hatred comes from. Rolling Stone magazine went as far to refer to this album as mere 'psychedelic doodling.' The problem is, they aren't half-wrong with that, at least as far as a few parts go. Some of the sections are a bit over-extended, and could have been quite a bit better had they been condensed and tweaked. While it is clear that there was a lot of attention put into the writing of the music, some of the extended so-called 'doodling' sections get on my nerves. A few parts such as the dissonant bell ringing in the last song 'Ritual,' are unpleasant to listen to, and deter from what otherwise is a monumental, classic album.

The first and last song are the most consistent, and overall enjoyable compositions on the album. That is not to say that the other two aren't good ('The Remembering' is fantastic, 'The Ancient' is also good but has a few more irritating parts than the other tracks) but those two seem to have the best flow of good ideas and flow. 'Ritual' has some of the best melodies on the album, and 'The Revealing Science Of God' has a superb structure to it; listening to it seems like only 5 minutes have gone by when it's actually been a third of an hour! 'The Remembering' takes a little while to get going but it has some really beautiful instrumental sections, as well as some light folky stuff. 'The Ancient' is full of electronic chaos but it ends up receding into one of the greatest classical acoustic sections I think Steve Howe has ever written and performed.

'Tales From Topographic Oceans' is certainly not for everyone. Some people might completely agree with the guy in Rolling Stone and think it's just random nonsense put on a record and sold for the sake of having a double album. However, if you're willing to try something a little different and demanding then what you might normally except from Yes, or any other band for that matter, then check this out. If you don't like it on first listen, listen to it again. You might just end up changing your mind.

A review from Warthur:

Although Tales from Topographic Oceans received an absolutely horrendous reception from critics, and is often defended by prog fans as a result, I can on the one hand see where the bad reviews came from - and it's got nothing to do with the actual music. The fact is that that Tales is one of the most incredibly uncommercial albums that Yes had produced at the time - not just in the format, although any double album comprising four side-long tracks is a daunting prospect, but in terms of the music presented therein.

This is an album which absolutely demands to be heard in its entirety - from the first and last tracks, which fit in nicely with the sound of Close to the Edge, to The Remembering/High The Memory which shows Yes turning their hand to Genesis-influenced pastoral prog and absolutely conquering that territory, to the complex and avant-garde The Ancient/Giants Under the Sun, the four sides form one cohesive whole which is almost impossible to grasp on a single listen, and still yields new secrets on patient relistens to this day.

This is all wonderful, but it's also extremely hard for any rock critic to sit down and give such an album a full listen before writing down their impressions - and thus the critics wrote their reviews without giving the album a chance to win them over, and thus the album got a bad reputation on release, and it all snowballed from there. This is a terrible shame, because it really is a grand achievement, and deserves to rank alongside The Yes Album or Close to the Edge as one of the band's greatest accomplishments.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 03 2012 at 23:23
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 05:45
BTW I absolutely love the song and cannot for the life of me understand why people don't like it  or even hate it.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 06:12
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I agree. I'd assumed the surrealistic option but the plain reading is obviously the correct one. Can't believe I never read lawnmower as  a person until you pointed it out.
While Gabriel is not adverse to surrealism in his lyrics, SEbtP doesn't contain any - it's more punnery and simplistic allegory - every track (aside from More Fool Me, which I don't think Gabriel wrote) contains puns and word-play, either in the actual lyric (far to many to list but Knights of The Green Shield stamp and shout is my favourite), the song titles (Aisle of Plenty ... Isle of Plenty; Moonlit Knight ... Moonlit Night; Firth of Fifth... Firth of Forth etc) or the concept ... the Battle of Epping Forest being a conceptual pun on the battles of the English Civil War or the Wars of The Roses such as The Battle of Marston Moor or The Battle of Mortimer's Cross and the Cinema Show being a conceptual play on Romeo & Julliet. I recall reading somewhere that all the lyrics of SEbtP were written over the space of a couple of days (from notes -he is reputed to have taken notes of the characters in Swanwick's The Dream painting while it was on show in a London gallery before it was used for the album's cover), and I think that shows quite plainly in the writing - they are not as deep or surreal as they had been on Trespass, Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme or would be on Lamb.

Edited by Dean - January 15 2012 at 06:17
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 06:22

While Gabriel is not adverse to surrealism in his lyrics, SEbtP doesn't contain any - it's more punnery and simplistic allegory - every track (aside from More Fool Me, which I don't think Gabriel wrote) contains puns and word-play, either in the actual lyric (far to many to list but Knights of The Green Shield stamp and shout is my favourite), the song titles (Aisle of Plenty ... Isle of Plenty; Moonlit Knight ... Moonlit Night; Firth of Fifth... Firth of Forth etc) or the concept ... the Battle of Epping Forest being a conceptual pun on the battles of the English Civil War or the Wars of The Roses such as The Battle of Marston Moor or The Battle of Mortimer's Cross and the Cinema Show being a conceptual play on Romeo & Julliet. I recall reading somewhere that all the lyrics of SEbtP were written over the space of a couple of days (from notes -he is reputed to have taken notes of the characters in Swanwick's The Dream painting while it was on show in a London gallery before it was used for the album's cover), and I think that shows quite plainly in the writing - they are not as deep or surreal as they had been on Trespass, Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme or would be on Lamb.

Yeah. I know all the rest. Just missed out on the literal lawnmower bit. I do love that album so much though. One of my all time favourites.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 06:30

1973 - continued

Clearlight Symphony
Clearlight

Clearlight Clearlight Symphony album cover

This record consists of two movements of about the same length, each recorded in different studios with different musicians. The two movements though have a lot of similarities probably because the force behind all of this, ‘Cyrille Verdeaux’ plays grand piano, synths, organ and mellotron on both movements and of course he composed them both as well. I have the remastered version that starts out with ‘Mr.Verdeaux’ and some guest French musicians playing drums, guitar and bass. The music is trippy, psychedelic with lots of mellotron. The piano melody that the movement opens with comes and goes throughout the song. The guitar at times pierces the soundscape.

The second movement features three GONG musicians who at the time were loaned to Mr.Verdeaux for this movement. So we have sax, percussion, more synths and Steve Hillage playing some tastey space rock style guitar. This movement is a little more spacey with the added synths and no bass guitar. I really like Steve's playing around the 12 minute mark and on. If you’re into psychedelic, space music with a dash of Canterbury, this is well worth checking out.

A review by Sean Trane:

Incredible first (?) album for Clearlight or should I say Cyrille Verdeaux's project. In a way, if you thought that the Virgin label had scored with Michael Oldfield Tubular Bell, you might be also tempted into looking on that same label at this little marvel of electronic music! There are lots of similarities between those two oeuvres, being mostly electronic but also full of great real instruments much the same way TB had it also. But I would like to assure you that Clearlight's Symphony is a much better and a much fuller record (it was a double vinyl for a start) than TB. I always thought that TB was a rather empty and meatless/beefless record, but it was the novelty of it at the time that made its great success. With Verdeaux's superb record, we are two years later than the groundbreaking TB, but this oeuvre is so much more mature that TB pales in comparison.

Enough comparing the two and let's concentrate on this record. Actually the record's full name is Symphony II (which implies there was a previous oeuvre, but this proghead never heard that work) and it lasts some 66 minutes, and 6 movements ranging almost 9 minutes until the whopping 20.5 minutes of the fifth. As one might guess, the work is very melodic, romantic and delightful, and should please most everyone - especially recommended to get comfy with the partner and engage in special gymnastics (get the Cd release to avoid flipping the discs and leaving the partner cool down ;-). To describe you how the music sounds, you might want to think of a cross between Oldfield's TB and Tangerine Dream (from ricochet to Force Majeure era). Not completely without influences, Verdeaux pays a tribute to the Never-ending-chord and the Never-ending-note of the Beatles A Day in The Life in one of its movement. But the major interest is the superb fifth movement where three musicians from Gong appear, with Hillage, Malherbe and Blake bringing to the total oeuvre to a spine-chilling climax.

Definitely one of the best progressive works to have come out of France, this little baby is still sadly a much too unknown, under-appreciated and overlooked gem. I cannot recommend this record anymore than here and by giving it a fifth star. When you know how rarely I hand out this rating, this should just about convince you and send you running to the record shop. Don't forget your wallet, though ;-)

Illusions On A Double Dimple
Triumvirat

Triumvirat Illusions On A Double Dimple album cover

Triumvirat break new boundaries and launch headlong into prog territory.Triumvirat are an awesome German prog band that have discovered the glorious sound of symphonic progressive music. The simple streamlined piano arpeggios permeate each track along with some thunderous Hammond stabs by the dextrous talents of Jürgen Fritz. There are adventurous basslines from Helmut Köllen who doubles up on guitars and vocals. The lead vocals are from Hans Pape who also dabbles in bass, and then there's the sporadic blitzing drums of Hans Bathelt. Together they make up one of the most compelling innovative symphonic bands one may ever hear.

The music on the title track that spans an entire vinyl side is ever changing and detouring into a range of directions. The playing is solid and pronounced, with very clear rhythmic patterns. From double time to slow and lucid, the song floats on an air of keyboards as vocals caress the spaces between. The vocals are reminiscent of Canterbury bands such as Caravan or Camel, yet are completely unique in their own right. There are a myriad of time sigs to keep one interested and the bass is particularly resonant at times and maintain a consistent rhythmic figure. The chimes and bell sounds are counterbalanced by heavy passages of guitar, though the music is always allowed to breathe.

There are certainly ELP influences yet this is no clone band, quite the contrary, Triumvirat stand alone as one of the more dynamic 70s band in the golden era of prog. The 23 minute epic is segmented into sections as always, including buzzing synthesizers, Fritz’s dynamic guitar and the rhythm section of bass and drums that drives this beast along. The sections of the epic are ‘Flashback’, ‘Schooldays’, ‘Triangle’, ‘Illusions’, ‘Dimplicity’ and ‘Last dance’. The piece as an entire work is absolutely essential symphonic prog.

The second side is also a huge epic consisting of 6 separate components; ‘Mister Ten Percent‘ runs for 21:22 minutes and features the segments ‘Maze’, ‘Dawning’, ‘Bad Deal’, ‘Roundabout’, ‘Lucky Girl’ and ‘Million Dollars’. Ironically enough, ‘Lucky Girl’ is nothing like ELP's ‘Lucky Man’, and ‘Roundabout’ is not a cover of the Yes classic. ‘Lucky Girl’ is a quieter melancholy piece that features odd drum time signatures and retains a fluent melody. The lyrics are imaginative and rhyme constantly; "when we ride on tomorrow I will find someone new" seems to hint at the theme of loss of a loved one, ditching a girl in other words. "Weren't you a lucky girl, never try to hate your world, do what your mama told you...." The music is a testament to the innovative creative talents from the group that were only hinted at in the debut. The band go into full flight on this track and plunge deep into the steamy waters of quirky pop and dance at times. There is a large ensemble adding backing vocals among other instrumentation. It adds a full sound into the mix.

This track begins with a ‘Tarkus’ sound and some Yes harmonies, strange bedfellows but Triumvirat make it work somehow. The melody is difficult to capture but there is so much happening at such a frenetic pace that it does not matter. The band rarely settles on one melody for long as they are experimental and unexpected in their approach to music. The sax on this is complemented by huge cloudbursts of synth and the reckless heartbeat of pounding drums. The massive Hammond stabs are the dominant force here though especially on the intro to ‘Million Dollars’. There is a sweet orchestra to enhance the sound, notable at the end of the track, with some intriguing lyrics, "dreams are torn the game is over for you.... all illusions have disappeared but we have to live on for another 40 years... left alone on your own... who is going to work for you for the rest of your life... just say goodbye."

The vocals are easy to understand and clearly inspired by the prog of the day. They are heavier on this track with forceful verses, Gabriel-like in their theatrical approach, and the humorous edge is ever present. There are some confronting themes touched on but they never dominate over the sheer force of musical virtuosity. Themes such as alcoholism, oppression, and the love of money, are well received and have relevance even by today's standards. Overall this is an excellent place to start for newcomers to the band. One of the great albums of 1973.

Sextant
Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock Sextant album cover

This is the third straight album with the same lineup (except for Gleeson) and it shows. The interplay is so precise that I have to include that as being one of the highlights of this album. I also must say that my respect and admiration for Herbie Hancock as a composer is on a new level after spending considerable time with this record. This recording is unique and it really takes a path that no one has quite taken before. People including our own Sean Trane mention the word Krautrock when talking about "Rain Dance" with all the electronics going on. "Hidden Shadows" recalls Miles Davis but the added mellotron adds a different flavour to the mix.

"Hornets" the side long suite is my favourite and about half way through we get a Zeuhl-like rhythm with fuzzed out bass that is repeated over and over. I thought I was listening to Janick Top! On top of all this I actually really enjoy listening to this album. Unfortunately the public at large didn't embrace this album or the previous two which led Herbie to move in a new direction with his next recording "Head Hunters".

"Rain Dance" has been called "Trance Jazz" because of how repetitive the electronic soundscape is half way through. It bubbles away with synths and percussion with all these sounds coming and going and then bass and drums enter the picture before 1 1/2 minutes. Electric piano a minute later until electronics dominate after 5 1/2 minutes.

"Hidden Shadows" has this fairly slow rhythm (bass & clarinet) as mellotron comes in. Horn blasts come and go recalling Miles. Synths do the same actually. Mellotron 4 minutes in. Great sound a minute later. Mellotron is back 6 minutes in as piano follows. There's so much going on before 8 minutes.

"Hornets" is the 19 1/2 minute closer. Just a fantastic groove to this one. Herbie's clavinet and all these intricate sounds coming and going. Horns go crazy 8 minutes in and then these repetitive fuzzed out bass lines give us that Zeuhl flavour. Check out the rhythm 15 minutes in! Drums come crashing in at 18 minutes. The fuzz bass is back along with the Hum-A-Zoo. This album isn't an easy listen but a very interesting and rewarding one. I get that same buzz listening to this record as I do with "Bitches Brew" and some of Miles' other albums.

Inferno
Metamorfosi

Metamorfosi Inferno album cover

This is a concept album based on Dante's inferno. The vocals are in Italian though so the story is lost on me. The music though is a real find! I can't get over how well this guy sings! He has a fairly deep, operatic style to his singing that really reminded me of the singer for BANCO. And it's kind of cool that this guys name is Jimmy. He also plays some nice flute as well. Besides the excellent vocalist, the keyboardist is the co-star of this group. Often bringing to mind ELP, there is hardly a moment that you don't hear either Hammond organ or piano, and moog is all over this album too. I like the way many of the songs blend together, and I love the way the album starts with the beloved church organ. This is one release that lived up to the expectations that were put upon it. I highly recommend this seventies Italian beauty. 4 solid stars.

A review by Finnforest:

See you in hell.

While not universally loved even by Italian fans "Inferno" is universally recognized as one of the notable titles from the Italian prog genre. This legendary group's sophomore album is considered a classic example of the heavy keyboard Italian album, guitars are present but pushed to the back behind an array of moog, organ, piano and harpsichord. Vocalist Davide Spitaleri is likewise considered to have one of the better deep, rich operatic voices and is sometimes compared to the Banco vocalist. Together they create a unique sound that could be described as baroque prog, very dramatic and grandiose sometimes to the point of cheesiness to some listeners.

Lyrically I've heard the album is quite good although as an English speaker I can't confirm that. The subject matter has heavy religious overtones discussing Heaven and Hell, man's philosophical dilemmas, good and evil. Inspirations for the lyrical concepts are drawn from Dante, Poe, and Baudelaire as well as other literature. Metamorfosi gained a reputation as a strong live performance act during the many pop festivals of their day. Their concerts were very theatrical and dramatic playing off the subject matter of the album, this combined with the talent of the band left the audiences thrilled. I've said it before but I would gladly turn over my non-existent riches to have been able to witness the Italian festivals of the early 70s, they must have been incredible.

"Spacciatore di Droga" is a highlight for me, especially the ultra melodic portion from 3:45 to 5:15 where the divine bass breaks through and soars, accented by the flute and harpsichord. That portion is the essence of the kind of romanticism the Italian bands, love em or hate em, could pull off so damn well.

I enjoy "Inferno" for the uniqueness of its sound more than the music itself. It may not be a 5-star masterpiece to me but it has a sound like few other albums. Dark and mysterious. An overwhelming presence of keyboards with a very stately and strangely disconcerting sound. You often feel trapped or like you are lost in some maze and that's probably the exact feeling they wanted you to have given the subject matter. Very tight drumming with a canned or confined sound contributes to this. Add this to the dramatic vocal pronouncements and low key guitar presence and you have the recipe for something different. Yeah, it does sound somewhat dated at times but so do early Yes and Genesis sometimes. An essential title for fans of Italian prog and vintage keyboard crazies (you know who you are!) For the rest, I'm not sure how to advise. The btf.it mini-lp edition is a gatefold with the nice artwork and booklet with band history.

Wolf City
Amon Düül II

Amon Düül II Wolf City album cover

The first time I heard this album play I'm thinking this can't be AMON DUUL II? It was of course, just a more song oriented release that's all. I have to tell you that I really like this album, and I like the variety on it as well. "Surrounded By The Stars" might just be my favourite song on this record. Renate's vocals are incredible on the first two songs, especially on this one. This is a powerful, mid-paced tune, with violin coming in at 2 minutes, while organ arrives a minute later. The organ really reminded me of ANEKDOTEN who list AMON DUUL II as an influence. I'm reminded of ANEKDOTEN later in the album as well. This has such a fantastic sound at this point. There is something dark and mysterious about this song. More violin 5 1/2 minutes in.

"Green-Bubble-Raincoated- Man" is melancholic to open with electric guitar, mellotron and synths. The song changes 2 1/2 minutes in as it kicks in with drums and bass leading the charge. Nice guitar solo 3 minutes in.  "Jail-House-Frog" has male vocals and some great guitar. There is a psychedelic feel to this one as a piano interlude arrives with strange sounds coming and going. Mellotron waves come in followed by the return of the full sound for the last 30 seconds.

"Wolf City" is more typical of their sound as it is a quiet and dark track and the vocals are almost spoken (in German) reminding me of ELOY. A nice heavy sound of drums, bass and guitar as well. The guitar to end it is incredible sounding. "Wie Der Wind Am Ender Strasse" is an instrumental that features some input from some guest players. It opens with kettle drums with spacey synths that create a nice sound. This is really cool. Violin comes in followed by an Indian sound of sitar and tabla to end it.

"Deutsch Nepal" opens with heavy drums and German vocals that are spoken again reminding me of ELOY. A powerful soundscape is sprinkled with piano. "Sleepwalker's Timeless Bridge" opens with 3 minutes of instrumental work including some good drumming and a ripping guitar solo. There are three electric guitar players on this song including Daniel Fichelscher who is the drummer on the other tracks. The song changes 3 minutes in when the vocals come in and a different sound with them. There is a sixties sound to this part as synths, strummed guitar and bass stand out. Great sound. This is another essentail album from the bands catalogue along with the first three studio albums.

Head Hunters
Herbie Hancock

Herbie Hancock Head Hunters album cover

A review by Dreadpirateroberts:

This was the first Herbie Hancock album I owned, quite early in my introduction to Jazz, and it convinced me that jazz could just about incorporate any genre it liked into its broad territory of influence.

Of course, the willingness of jazz musicians to borrow and blend is hardly unique to this album, but 'Head Hunters' is one of the moments where I think the balance between two genres is achieved to such a high standard that it becomes one of those albums that eventually convinces purists from either side to come across and take a proper look.

The album kicks off with the immortal riff from 'Chameleon' (very, very satisfying to play on bass) and an incredible drum beat, Hancock creeping in with synth before eventually layering the song with a host of instruments. Soon enough it comes to a short refrain, looking back to the intro before launching into a series of solos, shared between Hancock's keyboards. It isn't until toward the last half of the song when the more conventional (compared to his other rigs) sound of the Rhodes appears for a long solo followed by one from Maupin on the sax.

'Watermelon Man,' the Hancock composition rearranged over ten years after he first recorded it, opens with yelps from voice and a variety of wind instruments (including a beer bottle) before breaking into a smoother funk than heard on the opener, with a very cruisy lead up to the solos. 'Sly' is a more insistent track, with a tight rhythm combination where Mason shines again, furious on the bass drum, hats and snare, while Maupin provides a frantic solo and Hancock chugs away in the background with his deep squeaks of clavinet (a dominant sound on the album.)

The closing song is the fulfillment of the gentler hints that appear in the three preceding tracks. 'Vein Melter' is space-jazz, slow and measured. It meanders, heavy on atmosphere, and acts as the perfect come-down after such an assault heard earlier on the record.

“Head Hunters” should surprise anyone unfamiliar with it, but pleasantly. It's a landmark work, setting a standard for others to follow in fusing jazz and funk together.

Here Come The Warm Jets
Brian Eno

Brian Eno Here Come The Warm Jets album cover

A review by Warthur:

Brian Eno's first solo album isn't a progressive electronic piece - it comes well before his acclaimed Discreet Music and Ambient series heralded his submersion in that genre. Rather, it's an arty, experimental, complex glam rock album featuring a range of collaborators from a dazzlingly broad spectrum of prog traditions, with members from Roxy Music, King Crimson, Hawkwind and Matching Mole amongst those helping out. Particularly significant contributors include former Roxy cohort Phil Manzanera and Robert Fripp, both of whom co-author some of the tracks.

With a sound ranging from the peaceful ‘On Some Faraway Beach’ to the proto-punk ‘Needle In the Camel's Eye’ or ‘Blank Frank’ to the avant-garde ‘Dead Finks Don't Talk’, the album takes on a dizzying range of styles and proves that Eno is a composer to be reckoned with. It's also an emotionally warm album - and before you blame the titular jets, it's more likely that this is down to Eno's interesting studio techniques, which would include doing dances for the musicians to indicate the sort of mood he wanted to establish with the music. Of all the progressive electronic innovators, Eno is one who has always been very careful to include an emotional, intuitive aspect to his compositional process rather than simply relying on more and better electronics, and this album shows that this approach was there right from the beginning. Eno would create better art-glam albums, but this is a hell of a start.

When I think of Brain Eno's early solo works I can't help but think of the solo albums of Wyatt and Ayers. They all made this quirky, humorous music that was really different from the norm. While Wyatt and Ayers were in that Canterbury camp you have to put Eno in the "Rock & Roll" house. Sure he could be experimental and spacey, but for the most part his early albums were short tracks that really didn't seem to have anything to do with progressive music. And I think that's important especially with this the debut which was released in 1973 at the very peak of the Progressive movement. He bucked the trend here even though he had a who's who of Prog helping him out. This in itself was very progressive on his part. Lots of variety here but everything is just so well done. His stint with ROXY MUSIC served him well but lets face it Eno is a musical genius. He's proven it over his career even as a producer. You gotta love the list of guitarists here including Manzanera, Fripp and Spedding from one of my favourite bands NUCLEUS. MacCormick and Wetton among others on bass, while Simon King does most of the drumming.  

"Needle's In The Camel's Eye" hits the ground running as vocals join in quickly. I like the guitar 1 1/2 minutes in.Great opener. "The Raw Paw Negro Blowtorch" is a catchy mid-paced tune. The TALKING HEADS had to have been inspired by this tune. "Baby's On Fire" is interesting lyrically. Love the scorching guitar that goes on and on. "Cindy Tells Me" sounds like a fifties song. "Driving Me Backwards" has the focus on the vocals. It's quite different. I really like the last minute of the song.

"On Some Faraway Beach" opens with piano and vocal melodies. Vocals do arrive in this uplifting and transcending track. "Blank Frank" is intense with vocals. "Dead Folks Don't Talk" features drums, piano and vocals standing out early. I like when the guy is yelling in the background before 4 minutes. Then it turns dissonant. "Some Of Them Are Old" is an excellent track with some slide guitar and sax helping out. It turns haunting late. "Here Come The Warm Jets" is the perfect way to end it.  A very influential recording that still stands up well after all these years.

Greenslade
Greenslade

Greenslade Greenslade album cover

Dave Greenslade's Hammond organ and Tony Reeves' bass play really stand out on this GREENSLADE debut. They both of course were part of the legendary band COLOSSEUM before this. Greenslade plays mellotron on every track as well. The vocals of Dave Lawson remind me of the way Peter Hammill sings, very expressive and theatrical, he also is the second keyboardist for the band. Andrew McCulloch on drums played briefly with KING CRIMSON and he's very prominent on this album.

"Feather Friends" is a catchy, uptempo track with lots of organ runs and great drum fills. Vocals come in as it settles before 1 1/2 minutes. This is where he reminds me of Hammill the most. Nice bass throughout. A mellotron storm after 4 minutes. More great organ late. "An English Western" is an uptempo instrumental with drums, organ and bass standing out. Mellotron ends it in style.

"Drowning Man" is fairly mellow with reserved vocals and organ for the first 2 minutes then a fuller sound arrives. The tempo then picks up as bass and organ shine. Mellotron 4 minutes in and then back to the original melody.  "Temple Song" is a mellow track with plenty of vocals and vibes. Prominent bass before 3 minutes. My least favourite.

"Melange" has more energy, I like the drumming on this one. Some huge bass before 1 1/2 minutes followed by mellotron. Vocal melodies come and go. The song brightens somewhat 4 minutes in with drums, organ and mellotron following a minute later. Nice. "What Are You Doing To Me" has a nice heavy intro with passionate vocals.Some great organ work here with mellotron after 3 1/2 minutes.

"Sundance" opens with piano before we get a fairly heavy sound before 2 minutes. Drums, bass and organ dominate. Impressive.Mellotron 5 minutes in as the melody stops. It kicks back in after 5 1/2 minutes and then speeds up. It ends as it began with piano. This is one of those albums that has character. I do prefer “Bedside Manners Are Extra”, but there's enough here to give it a low 4 star rating.

For Your Pleasure
Roxy Music

Roxy Music For Your Pleasure album cover

A review by Sean Trane:

3.5 stars really!!!

After a quirky and strange (but very commercial) debut, the Newcastle-based Roxy was expected to follow-up on the success of their first album. The least we can say is that they achieved that goal with flying colours as For Your Pleasure shot up to number 4 in the charts WITHOUT any singles (there would be in 78 a Do The Strand/Editions Of You single and the non-album single Pyjarama up on the charts) and this shows how talented and inventive these guys were. Having given the boot to bassist Simpson, he was replaced by Kenton, who did not last long, and then by Porter a session man who is just content on being apt for the job.

From familiar Do The Strand (hardly their best on this album, but the most-known anyway) to the bizarre Dream Home, to the lenghty (9 min+), repetitive masterpieces such as The Bogus Man (with its offbeat rhythm and weird sax lines but also a superb Mellotron) and the almost 7 min title track (with Eno really showing us what he can do with loops, we have an incredible KB dominated (even if guitarist Manzarena is also shining - check out the superb Strictly Confidential and its screaming guitar solo or the fuzzy tones from Editions Of You - but against Ferry on piano and Brian Eno on synths) pop-rock that the progheads instantly loves or hate, so typical of Roxy Music. Believe me or not, I am from the second category, but on the first three albums, I must recognize that there are some superb tracks on those.

The unfortunate fact is that the remastered version of the album does not contain the non-album single of Pyjarama/Pride And Pain, which came out at the time and would've made this much more invaluable.

Of course after this album, RM will suffer an incredible loss in the leaving of Eno (actually Ferry booted him out as there could not be a second focal point live according to him), although the man was never really involved in the songwriting, he was THE sound of Roxy, even if they would be able to sustain/keep that sound, something was lost. Clearly IMHO, Roxy would never be the same (actually, they will go gradually but steadily downhill under the drive of Ferry to become a sort of crooner with his good looks) and this album is easily their tops.

#195 - live

Yessongs 
Yes

Yes Yessongs album cover

Every song a classic, every performance legendary. The best line up of Yes and a live recording with all their greatest songs. In short, a Masterpiece! The album works as a kind of greatest hits album for classic Yes lineup, with many of these songs actually better than the original. The quality is excellent. The tracks here are absolutely essential for Yes addicts. ‘Siberian Khatru’, ‘Heart of the Sunrise’, ‘Perpetual Change’, ‘And You and I’ and ‘Roundabout’ are as good as it gets and all are jammed onto the first CD. Rick Wakeman shows his classical prowess with solo effort ‘Excerpts from "The Six Wives of Henry VIII"’.

The second disc begins brilliantly with ‘I've Seen All Good People’, followed by the wonderful ‘Long Distance Runaround / The Fish’ clocking in at 13:45. ‘Close to the Edge’ follows, an epic at 18:41. It is one of the all time greatest performances of this. Howe and Squire are amazing and Anderson is in fine voice throughout. ‘Yours is No Disgrace’ follows, a lengthy 14 minute version and then my all time favourite and one of the best live versions of ‘Starship Trooper’.

A review by Finnforest:

Music that transports the mind.

"Fragile" was the first prog album I ever owned if memory serves but Yessongs is the album which addicted me to the music of Yes for so many years. It was nothing short of a revelation. I believe I played this album more than any other non-Zeppelin album in my formative years. Why so special? It's quite simple. More than any other album I recall Yessongs is a complete package capable of transporting the listening to another place. Really. This is a tour-de-force that takes the listener to the place represented visually so perfectly by the artistic eye of Roger Dean. Never has a partnership between musicians and cover artists been so spectacularly successful in enhancing the listening experience. Panel after panel of Dean's work is so magical and breathtaking, so adept at non-verbal communication.

And then there's the music! With selections pulled from only three studio albums (Yes album/Fragile/CTTE) the band wisely avoided using material from the first two. These three albums provided a focused and well integrated selection of songs. It begins with the most exciting prog opening ever, Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite" which thereafter would raise the endorphin level of the Yes fan at first note. While the sound quality is poor by today's standards as mentioned by many, I have noticed that the sort of "fuzzy glow" inherent in this album's sound actually seems to enhance the mood of the material. Perhaps that's just a personal thing but the sound has never detracted from my enjoyment here. To this day the only song I will skip is "All Good People" which I've always felt was a very subpar Yes track. My favorite track is probably "Heart of the Sunrise" which just takes on otherworldly qualities in this live treatment.

After three good albums and this triumphant live package, Yes would release their two finest masterworks in "Topographic Oceans" and "Relayer" before ending their peak years with the fabulous QPR live show. They would hit rock bottom in the Rabin years and never reach such heights again. But from CTTE through QPR it was a moment of symphonic prog heaven equaled by very few.

Recommended to anyone building a serious symphonic collection. 4 ½ stars.

After three masterpiece studio albums in a row with The Yes Album, Fragile and Close To The Edge, it was the perfect timing for a live album. The result is simply amazing, the masterpiece songs from these three studio albums are brought to the stage and what performances! Yours Is No Disgrace, Starship Trooper, Perpetual Change, Roundabout, Heart Of The Sunrise, And You And I and Close To The Edge are all timeless classics. And not just Yes classics or Prog classics, but classics of music full stop. That one and the same band could create such otherworldly music in such a short time frame and then pull off a live showcase of these brilliant pieces of this magnitude is nothing short of breathtaking.

The Close To The Edge album, which is commonly (and rightly) regarded as one of the very, very best albums of progressive Rock of all time, is performed here in its entirety (though not in the same running order and interspersed with other songs) and the epic title is actually improved upon! 'How can you improve perfection?' you might ask. Well, you can't, but Yes could!

Steve Howe performs his wonderful classical guitar piece Mood For a Day and Rick Wakeman performs some excerpts from his then recent solo album The Six Wives of Henry VIII. Roger Dean once again provides the lovely art work for the sleeve. What else could anyone reasonably ask for? This is the ultimate Yes live album.

Yessongs is an all time classic of live Prog albums, it doesn't get more essential than this!

#196 - live

Space Ritual 
Hawkwind

Hawkwind Space Ritual  album cover

Spacey psychedelia......"Do not panic.......... Do not panic Think only of yourself Think only of yourself Think only of yourself ". The eyeball searing album cover screams it out and then the listener must prepare to be overwhelmed as they jump on board the Hawkwind Spaceship. Brock, Lemmy, Dettmar, King, Turner backed up by the bizarre space effects of Dik Mik and emblazoned over this is the most surreal poetry of Calvert. This is not music, its an adventure into pyschedelia at its highest level. The album sounds like a proto-Motorhead journey into space. The Hawkwind trademark of weird spacey effects from keyboards saturate each track and all blend seamlessly into one another with poetry and spaced out wizardry transporting one into another universe.

The voyage begins with the gatecrashing rocker 'Born To Go'. It drives relentlessly along with the trademark chug-a-chug rhythm that could only be Hawkwind. Every track is perfection on a live stage. Of note is the fabulous 'Down Through The Night' and 'Lord Of Light'. This is followed by 'Space is deep' that is saturated in space effects as is every track.

The mammoth Hawkwind epic is 'Orgone Accumulator' that motors along its 10 minutes length and is mesmirizing with amazing riffing guitars and effects. A wall of sound without remorse with hyper lyrics sung with echoed downbeat tones by Brock; "I've got an orgone accumulator, It makes me feel greater, I'll see you sometime later, When I'm through with my accumulator, It's no social integrator, It's a one man isolator, It's a back brain stimulator, It's a cerebral vibrator, Those energy stimulators, Just turn your eyeballs into craters, But an orgone accumulator, Is a superman creator, of Orgones!" The iconic lyrics are backed by the relentless chunky riffs that are almost hypnotically trance like. This is a masterpiece track and quintessential Hawkwind by any standards.

'10 Seconds Of Forever ' takes us poetically down the maelstrom into 'Brainstorm', another riff heavy rocker. Then we are inundated by the surrealism of 'Sonic Attack'. Depending on how jaded your sensibilities are will depend on how you take this weird poem, as follows; "Remember, in the case of Sonic Attack survival does mean every man for himself, Statistically more people survive if they think only of themselves, These are the first signs of Sonic Attack: You will notice small objects, such as ornaments, oscillating, You will notice a vibration in your diaphragm You will hear a distant hissing in your ears, You will feel dizzy, You will feel the need to vomit, There will be bleeding from orifices, There will be an ache in the pelvic region, You may be subject to fits of hysterical shouting, or even laughter, These are all sign of imminent Sonic destruction, Your only protection is flight If you are less than ten years old remain in the shelters and use your cocoon....Do not panic.......... Do not panic..."

There are other highlights, 2 versions of the classic 'Master Of The Universe' at varying lengths, and another version of 'Brainstorm' and 'Time We Left This World Today' featuring awesome bass from Lemmy.The bonus tracks are excellent, the artwork and booklet are inspiring, and the sound quality is mind blowing. This is the best thing Hawkwind have done; a live extravaganza that grips the listener refuses to let go mercilessly.

A review by Warthur:

Space Ritual is the album where all the crazy ingredients that make Hawkwind such a distinctive band came together - lyrics from Michael Moorcock, read by Robert Calvert, nude dancers on the cover and Lemmy chugging away at a bass that sounds like a thousand steam trains driving across the stage. The material on this album - mostly from Doremi Fasol Latido, but with one pick from In Search of Space (a super-heavy version of Master of the Universe) and scads of new songs besides - is given a raw, dirty, heavy as hell treatment by the band, in a two-disc orgy of brutal noise which more than explains why of all the prog giants of the 1970s, Hawkwind was the one that the punk rockers embraced instead of attacking.

That isn't to say that what we have here isn't the usual Hawkwind tripped-out space rock, but it's given such a thunderous, bombastic rendition on this album that it's hard not to see most of these songs as the definitive versions of the material in question. Here, spaciness is achieved not through gentle, tranquil synth lines, but through sheer noise and hypnotic rhythms, leaving Hawkwind sounding much like a particularly brutal Krautrock band in this show. Go back to one of the previous two albums after listening to Space Ritual and it's hard to hear the songs as not being pallid, sickly versions of the renditions on here. One of Hawkwind's greatest accomplishments - perhaps their greatest accomplishment full stop. 

#197 – live

Genesis Live
Genesis

Genesis Genesis Live album cover

The year was 1973 and Genesis was required to produce an album with Charisma Labels. The problem was there was no new material so some bright spark came up with the idea of releasing a live album. It was designed to count down time until the subsequent release of the next studio album. Ironically the album would become a masterful interpretation of a live concert experience in the 70s and indeed the only legitimate vinyl release of Gabriel live with Genesis. In this regards the album is an important Genesis release, and essential at the time to contribute to the growing success of the group. The set list represented the recent "Foxtrot" as well as material from "Nursery Cryme" albums and a track from "Trespass". There was material recorded for the 'King Biscuit Flower Hour' syndicated radio show and the band agreed that this material would be sufficient and it would serve as a budget release. Little did they know the album would become a revered jewel of prog.

The sound on this album is Genesis at their best, particularly the accomplished organ and mellotron of Banks who is captured in time. Hackett's guitar flourishes are crystal clear and Rutherford is dominant on bass pedals. Collins' percussive work is incredible and consistent. The showmanship of Gabriel is compelling and enchanting, he is absolutely in his element on the live stage.

Overall the album has become a quintessential product, not a throwaway or filler between albums, moreover a highly polished testament to the complexity of the music that Genesis generated in the prog-soaked 70s. The performances on ‘Watcher of the Skies’, ‘Get 'Em Out By Friday’, ‘Return of the Giant Hogweed,’ ‘The Knife’, and, ‘The Musical Box’, are excellent compositions, remarkably similar in structure to the studio releases, but distinctly dissimilar in sound, indeed perhaps even better than the original versions.

Gabriel is a theatrical powerhouse performing many facets of his persona and spitting out the lyrics with venom and cynical grandeur. ‘The Musical Box’ is a wonderful full blown exploration of Gabriel-fuelled whimsy and as dark as the studio release. ‘The Return of the Giant Hogweed’ is also dark and ethereal with some amazing virtuoso guitar and keyboards embellished by an off beat percussive rhythm. ‘The Knife’ is the only "Trespass" track and it is a killer with staccato blasts of keyboards and shimmering guitars, that absolutely buries the original version in terms of sheer intensity and dynamism.

The energy of the band is incredible, they were a force to be reckoned with in the 70s and it is all captured on this live release that fits neatly on one CD. It is an absolute tragedy that ‘Supper's Ready’ was omitted, due to length issues and the fact that it would cost too much, as this would have been the piece de resistance and may have escalated the album to masterpiece status. However, versions of this track from the 70s have surfaced on box sets. Overall "Genesis Live" is a delightful rendition of all that made Genesis great in the early 70s; an historical live document of progressive excellence.

#198 – live

Between Nothingness & Eternity 
Mahavishnu Orchestra

Mahavishnu Orchestra Between Nothingness &amp;amp;amp;amp;amp; Eternity  album cover

A review by Warthur:

The only live album from the original Mahavishnu Orchestra lineup might have been a godsend when it first came out, but it's since been supplanted in importance by The Lost Trident Sessions: all three songs from this album are there, plus more songs on top of that, and the sound quality is significantly better. (Well, obviously, it's a studio recording and this is a live album, but even so for a live album from the era the sound quality here is only mediocre-to- average).

The setlist here consists of expanded versions of the first three songs from the Sessions, but the studio versions are much tighter - in particular, Dream in this twenty-minute rendition simply lasts for too long, especially considering the five minutes of extremely quiet playing at the beginning - which, thanks to the recording standards, aren't easy to hear.

Ironically, the New York concerts the album documents were vividly described during the preamble of the infamous Crawdaddy magazine article on the band - in which the band members made no secret of their frustrations working under McLaughlin, which prompted the personal falling-out which ended this lineup of the group. Mahavishnu devotees may wish to own it simply for that reason; for everyone else, it's alright, but now that we have the intended studio followup to Birds of Fire available to us it's utterly redundant.

A review by Sean Trane:

As I explained in the BoF review, the tensions between Hammer and Goodman on one side and McLaughlin and Cobham on the other, started destroying the group and taking into the abyss the third album's recording sessions with the group, Columbia decided to bring out as a third offering a live album, which consisted of brand new and unreleased material: the three extended tracks on the live album being found in their original dimension on the Lost Trident Sessions. What really happened is that Mc and Cobham wanted to release the LTS tapes as a finished album, while Hammer, Goodman and now joined by Laird opposed it. This led to an imminent break-up, but the group owing one more album to Columbia settled on recording their august 73 Central Park concert. The group would soldier on until New Year's Eve in Toledo. After which, McLaughlin build from scratch a new line-up of MO that would go on to record three albums of its own.

Out of seemingly nowhere gongs are chiming, but nowhere is there a spaceship (even if the album would have a very celestial artwork), so we’re back down to Mahavishnu planet and its superb Trilogy (not RGI, you potheads!! ;-)), Cobham being astoundingly virtuosi, while every other musician in the group works for great unity. The first movement Sunlit Path seems to be providing Goodman's violin some rays of exposure, the second Mère De La Mer (mother of sea) is more Hammer's moment, while the closing Tomorrow's Story is highlighting Mc's blistering guitar. The crowd is overwhelmingly enthusiastic as can be heard between trilogy and Sister Andrea, the only known MkI line-up track that isn't McLaughlin penned (until much later, when Lost Trident will be released), but by Jan Hammer. And unfortunately the live version does not stand much comparison to its studio version, but still remains a scorching beauty.

The flipside is filled by the gigantic Dream, which finds itself expanded to twice its original length. In the middle is an extended and delightfully slow violin-laced spacey session, until the track picks up for the last 14 minutes where the group climbs from one climax to another, soaring higher than the Himalayas, sometimes slightly over-stretching the track and solos, but nothing scandalous either. Even at this final stage of the line-up's life, it's impossible to find the cracks in the varnish in their incredibly tight music; although the seeds were already sown, troubles would really blossom after McLaughlin's return from his Santana collaboration. .

Some thirty years later, we now know that the three gigantic extended tracks on this Live BNAE album were actually part of the LTS released at the turn of the millennium, recorded less than a month before the concert. On the downside of this album, we are still waiting for Columbia to reissue the remastered version of this album as TIMF and BoF have received it. On the plus side, though the very same Columbia label never destroyed the artwork with their red frame around the original covers as they had done for all the other MO albums as they did so with all of WR's repertoire. How not to recommend a MO MkI line-up? Simply impossible not to, but this album should be discovered after the studio ones, including the LTS album.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - February 04 2012 at 06:58
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 06:34
What about the ones that you haven't reviewed yet ACR? Are you going to review every single album or use other peoples' reviews for those albums? 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 06:40

Yeah. I know all the rest. Just missed out on the literal lawnmower bit. I do love that album so much though. One of my all time favourites.
When it was first released I dismissed it as being superficial, preferring Trespass, Foxtrot and Cryme (and later Lamb) - three decades later I was taken a-back to find it revered so highly here - I've since changed my opinion, but still don't rate it higher than Lamb or Foxtrot.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 06:42
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

What about the ones that you haven't reviewed yet ACR? Are you going to review every single album or use other peoples' reviews for those albums? 

I haven't decided yet but others reviews are welcome if they give permission. 

I have many albums on vinyl but I am going to have to go through those slowly as I rarely play vinyl. Others will have to be reviews by some here who allow me.... Already was able to use two at least. 

Can anyone at all volunteer some reviews? That would help as gaps are appearing now.

Anyway thats all for a while while I catch up on other albums... really learning a lot about these early 70s and its all good so far!Cool 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 06:48
btw - Wakeman's explanation of the infamous curry incident is slightly different: "Manchester Free Trade Hall, ‘Tales from the Topographic Ocean’ tour, in the days when my roadie used to hide under my Hammond. Two good reasons, if anything went wrong he could fix it and he could also hand me up me beer and Scotch. Certain bits of ‘Topographic Ocean’ where I had little to do, just ‘plink plink’. We used to have these conversations and he said ‘Fancy a curry?’ but with all the noise I thought he said after the show. So, I said yeah, chicken vindaloo, bombay aloo, popadom. Ten minutes later I could smell curry and he’d only gone and got my order! So I was eating away whilst Chris (Squire) and Steve (Howe) did some intricate parts. Jon (Anderson) starts sniffing the air and comes over, ‘You're eating a curry!’ So yeah it was true, but I didn’t leave the show as I have heard sometimes!"
What?
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 06:54

I have many albums on vinyl but I am going to have to go through those slowly as I rarely play vinyl. Others will have to be reviews by some here who allow me.... Already was able to use two at least. 

Can anyone at all volunteer some reviews? That would help as gaps are appearing now.

Anyway thats all for a while while I catch up on other albums... really learning a lot about these early 70s and its all good so far!Cool 

Hey Scott, you're certainly welcome to any of mine - but I have more at JMA than here, so I may not be all that useful. If you do happen to see something you want to use, just let me know and I'll try and adjust it for the 1001.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
JazzMusicArchives.
ergaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 08:38
Finally had some time to spend on this list, and all I can say is WOW.  A seriously major undertaking, kudos and all that stuff.  Very impressive.

Just curious--not asking for its inclusion but just wondering....no Lunatic Soul I?  /puzzled

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Reality rules, Honor the truth
Chemist99a R.I.P.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 16:03
Originally posted by ergaster ergaster wrote:

Finally had some time to spend on this list, and all I can say is WOW.  A seriously major undertaking, kudos and all that stuff.  Very impressive.

Just curious--not asking for its inclusion but just wondering....no Lunatic Soul I?  /puzzled

Thanks for that.
I checked and Lunatic Soul is there but only in 2010 list. 

Lunatic Soul II
Lunatic Soul

I am glad cos I was sure I added their amazing album! The number 1 album was there and I think I had to delete it to add a different artist. It certainly is a challenging task. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 16:06
Originally posted by dreadpirateroberts dreadpirateroberts wrote:

Hey Scott, you're certainly welcome to any of mine - but I have more at JMA than here, so I may not be all that useful. If you do happen to see something you want to use, just let me know and I'll try and adjust it for the 1001.

Okay I will check if you reviewed any of the albums I need for the list. Thanks! You may have some Jazz fusion I am after.

So far I have only added 3 reviews from different reviewers (zombywoof and Conor Fynes) and they are all Zappa! Strange but true.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 16:09

btw - Wakeman's explanation of the infamous curry incident is slightly different: "Manchester Free Trade Hall, ‘Tales from the Topographic Ocean’ tour, in the days when my roadie used to hide under my Hammond. Two good reasons, if anything went wrong he could fix it and he could also hand me up me beer and Scotch. Certain bits of ‘Topographic Ocean’ where I had little to do, just ‘plink plink’. We used to have these conversations and he said ‘Fancy a curry?’ but with all the noise I thought he said after the show. So, I said yeah, chicken vindaloo, bombay aloo, popadom. Ten minutes later I could smell curry and he’d only gone and got my order! So I was eating away whilst Chris (Squire) and Steve (Howe) did some intricate parts. Jon (Anderson) starts sniffing the air and comes over, ‘You're eating a curry!’ So yeah it was true, but I didn’t leave the show as I have heard sometimes!"

I got that vindaloo info from the Yes book I own but that interview you linked was way better. I will fix that info, thanks. I am amazed that you are reading all this, but hopefully I can edit it to be the correct info at least through this feedback.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 21>