Cressida - Asylum CD (album) cover

4 stars This Album was resident in my house right through the majority of my childhood but once I became an early eighties stoner, it's tired out vinyl spent many a night on my Dual record deck, gently pleasuring myself and my spaced out buddies. When my mum managed to get a copy on cd a few years ago I was delighted and the fact that she also got the first Album made my little day. I have a huge, huge soft spot for Asylum and it's hard not to be subjective but, I really do believe that it's a classic of early seventies rock that happily spreads itself across many genres (personally I think there's a great big Doors influence there too). As far as I can see, apart from Survivor, which I find lyrically like an early seventies working class sitcom written by a public schoolboy, each track has a complexity and buzz rare in such abandonment in any other artists of the times work. Munich is my particular highpoint mind. I'd say that if progressive-jazz-folk-rock is your bag (and who in their right mind could say that it's not I ask you?), then this is an album to give up a kidney to have. Hell, it may be responsible for my reduced lung capacity.
roooegg | 4/5 |