Porcupine Tree - In Absentia CD (album) cover

IN ABSENTIA

Porcupine Tree

darkmatter
5 stars I came across this Porcupine Tree album when I was looking for recommendations to Dream Theater's Octavarium (which I had purchased about a month or two after its release). I had seen the name a few times before, so I was curious and I bought the album in late August 2005. After I listened to this album, I realized that it was one of the best albums I had ever heard.

In Absentia has a diverse range of songs, from the heavier "Blackest Eyes" and "Strip the Soul" to the softer "Trains" and "Collapse the Light into Earth". The album also exihibits a diverse amount of genres, like the psychadelic ".3", the dark "Gravity Eyelids" and the instrumental "Wedding Nails". Every song on In Absentia is very strong, and they fit very well together. I enjoy listening to every song, my personal favorites being "Gravity Eyelids", "Wedding Nails", ".3", and "Heartattack in a Layby". In my opinion, there is not a weak point on the album.

Overall, I would say this is a flawless album. It is one of my personal favorite albums. I don't listen to a lot of older progressive music, but I would recommend In Absentia to any person who enjoys listening to rock or metal. I realize that 5 stars should not be given out to liberally, but I believe this is too good of an album to deserve anything less. Highly recommended.

darkmatter | 5/5 |