Haken - Demo 2007-2008 CD (album) cover

DEMO 2007-2008

Haken

Marty McFly
Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Surprisingly good album. When it comes to demos, quality is usually quite bad, writing hasn't yet reached the levels it would come and melodies are non-existent (because they often take time and experience). That's not the case with Haken's demo years captured in this nifty little 58 minutes package.

The problem is that it's by certain group called Haken. Nudge-nudge, Wink-wink ? Known for their extraordinary successful 2010 album of epic proportions and scope, their 2011 follow-up which pushed the barrier even further (however unrealistically it sounded at the time) and in just few weeks, coming up with their 3rd studio release which I suppose will do the same. They're just like that.

So the problem is that here we are going back (to the future?), so strong majority of listeners will discover this album after listening their 2010-2013 work. It's like first knowing Gabriel-era Genesis and then discovering their late 70s efforts, the comparison will inevitably be here (even we can try to avoid it).

Haken's demo years are unpolished beauty. Wacky circus sounds are here (different than those on later albums), melodies are here (some were later re-used, some are "new") and concept story elements are mostly missing. There is far less death metal growls than I feared (they simply do not fit well to their music, 'fcourse in my opinion only).

So, it's solid album, you just have to give (peace) Haken a fair chance. Their later work is epic, can't be compared. This is great album too.

Marty McFly | 4/5 |