Trioscapes - Separate Realities CD (album) cover

SEPARATE REALITIES

Trioscapes

Argonaught
3 stars Yes, on Separate Realities one can indeed hear quite a bit of heavy fusion and a whole lot of the "influence" by Mahavishnu Orchestra and King Crimson of a certain era.

Apart from these, I didn't hear much of anything else that would have made my ears prick up. I did notice lengthy passages that felt like John McLaughlin's outtakes; then there would be a few minutes of what sounded like post-Red Robert Fripp's exploits.

To sum up the experience ..

POSITIVES: No crude mistakes. An impressive wall of well-textured sound, for a trio. Adequate engineering. No irritating vocals :)

NEGATIVES: Too noisy and ear-heavy; not flamboyant enough for proper fusion. None of the musicians stands out. No real innovation, only a narrow range of recycled musical ideas from very long ago.

I'd give this album two stars only, but I must distinguish it somehow from let's say iamthemorning with its syrupy new age-y ethos and squeaky vocals (who I did give two stars). So, I will have to round it up to 3 stars.

Argonaught | 3/5 |