Hatfield And The North - The Rotters' Club CD (album) cover

Hatfield And The North

Canterbury Scene

5 stars Purely by accident, I seem to have erased my review of THE ROTTERS' CLUB, originally written in 2006! If anyone knows how I could retrieve the text, please drop me a line. In the intervening years, my view of the album hasn't changed. This is one of the most delightful masterpieces of the Canterbury Scene - a marvellous relic of a time when charming pop melodies, whimsical lyrics, psychedelic sound experiments, crisp playing, insistent riffing and jazzy solos could be freely and spontaneously combined. In recent years, this style has been imitated by bands as diverse as the Tangent (UK), Shinsekai (Japan) and Forgas Band Phenomena (France). But the original freshness and innocence have never been recaptured.
fuxi | 5/5 |