King Crimson - Beat CD (album) cover

BEAT

King Crimson

zedkatz
4 stars I recently replaced my vinyl copies of Discipline, Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair. Not being tremendously familiar with KC's earlier works I had no prior expectations when I first bought them back in the 80's.

Discipline was something of a masterpiece and for me Beat is on a par if not slightly superior. True the tracks are short and maybe not prog at all. Neverthless there's an energy and degree of musicianship about the band that takes them beyond pure pop. As on Discipline the interplay of Fripp and Belew's guitar's gives it that unique signature over the superb Bruford/Levin rythmn section.

Neal and Jack and Me, Heartbeat,and Sartori in Tangier kick it all off strongly and the quality rarely drops from there (though maybe Waiting Man is a little weak).

OK it's maybe not proggy enough for the full 5 stars but having givenm Discipline 4 stars I have to give this the same or more. So let's say 4.49 stars, rounded down to 4

zedkatz | 4/5 |