Talk Talk - Laughing Stock CD (album) cover

LAUGHING STOCK

Talk Talk

zedkatz
4 stars Last of the three great Talk Talk albums. The process of moving away from their synth-pop origins that really began with The Colour of Spring, continued with Spirit of Eden, reached its conclusion with Laughing Stock.

I actually heard this before I heard Spirit of Eden, and this would probably get the full 5 stars if I hadn't discovered that one. It's hypnotic, minimal and downright hypnotic in parts. However I don't think it's quite as accessible or enjoyable as Eden. There's quite a lot of dissonance. In one track (not having the CD with me at the moment I can't recall which one) the serene musical landscape is blasted apart by what I can only describe as something akin to someone playing a vacuum cleaner through a distortion pedal. I love the album, but not quite as much as its predecessor.

zedkatz | 4/5 |