Dead Letter Circus - Dead Letter Circus CD (album) cover

DEAD LETTER CIRCUS

Dead Letter Circus

GlassHanded
5 stars One of the best debut EP's I have ever heard. This album explodes with energy right out of the gate and never let's up through 6 brilliant songs. The songwriting here really amazed me. I didn't think I'd ever hear such an obvious leap or progression of sound in the Alt Rock/Crossover Prog genre.

This EP is so good that Dead Letter Circus' debut LP "This Is The Warning" was actually a let down at 4.5 / 5 stars.

The first 3 tracks blew my mind, while tracks 4 and 5 grew on me to become almost as good as the first 3 to my ears. The closing track "Alien" is also the longest song and what a beast that track is. These guys are bursting with creativity. Shame that they are not well known outside Australia, although I hope their 2013 album can change that.

However, after the magic of this debut, I wonder if they can ever match that level of creativity again. Certainly there are songs from the 2010 album that could be on this EP, but that album as a whole suffers from a few slightly weaker tracks.

5 stars for this self titled debut.

GlassHanded | 5/5 |