Gentle Giant - Giant For A Day  CD (album) cover

GIANT FOR A DAY

Gentle Giant

Menswear
3 stars What if Einstein liked Froot Loops?

Would it be the end of the world? If a great mind, a talentuous brain, likes his cereal sweet and colorful, does it deprives him of his talent? Of course not!

So if Gentle Giant gave us a couple of pop rock albums, it does not deprives them of their initial talent nor their past albums! It just like Genesis, Yes or even Triumvirat, they had to make a living. Some succeeded more than others; Yes and Genesis in particuliar.

To me, a lot of reviewers are unfair towards this album. They bash it in the name of 'intelligent music' and 'anti-pop' arguments; so be it. Okay, the album has some of the band weakest numbers (Only Goodbye), but songs like Giant for A Day are solid rockers with clever arrangements and primo playing, the same staples that made them famous. The fingerprints of GG are all over this album, with lots of winks to the old days.

To all who gave this album a hard time, I say : 'Curiously, we don't see your names in lights and big letters anywhere. Try to pull up an album like this one and we'll talk some more'. Artists like The Cure, 311 or Prince have more than what it takes to take a bite at progressive rock but chose to do what they do with a progressive flavor. What if GG did the same?

Einstein could've liked Fruit Loops, and it's his God given right.

Menswear | 3/5 |