Fantomas - Fantômas CD (album) cover

Fantomas

RIO/Avant-Prog

tuxon
3 stars Fantômas Amenaza al Mundo

An interesting album, but not something I will recomend to people not familiar with Mike patton's work in Faith no More, Mr Bungle or his other diverse output. An "expect the unexpected" framework of sonic origami, with sudden bursts of metal, screams and odd vocal excercises, augmented with short passages of random sounds.

The album consists of 30 musical pieces, each lasting barely 1 minute, with two epics to increase the albums length, but even those short pieces are fragmented. So do not expect songs on this album. The best pages are the two epics (page 4 and page 18).

And now for the million dollar question, is this a good album? I guess it is, with a lot of interesting sounds, certainly if you like frantic strange music with a metal edge, and if you don't care for song structure this might be interesting. For me it's a bit to strange, and I miss some beauty to counterbalance the sonic onslaught. therefor only 3 stars.

Fantômas Threatens the World Aproach with caution, only for weird people.

tuxon | 3/5 |