Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory  CD (album) cover

THE POWER AND THE GLORY

Gentle Giant

OpethGuitarist
3 stars Another quirky adventure.

I find this one of the most unique GG albums. As others have noted, it's one of the more difficult one's to get into, for GG standards. Of course, as with most GG records, is the intrigue of the album cover, which if nothing else have always been eye-opening.

There's some recurring elements here and there (one of the most interesting being the Flight of the Bumblebee-esque key section found in Proclamation and Valedictory). I can't help but get the feeling that Playing the Game sounds like a level in a Sonic sega game (the distorted bass sound). Most all the songs are heavily key oriented and this could be described as Minnear's album.

Cogs in Cogs has my favorite moment on the album, with the a cappella "the circle turns around, the changing voices calling" which is somewhat similar to the "all around" in the song On Reflection. It also seems GG has a mandatory Southern sounding song in every album, this one being The Face.

The album closes with one of my favorite GG songs in their collection. Shulman's voice soars and the way it sums up the album is just pure - zany, classic GG. It's also important to note that Radiohead would lift one of the guitar riffs in Valedictory for the ending to their famous hit Paranoid Android (0:40 here, 5:49 in Paranoid Android - small world huh?) Overall, the balance here is quite off, though; some of the songs are simply genius, while others I just shrug at. Regardless, another fine production.

OpethGuitarist | 3/5 |