Sieges Even - The Art Of Navigating By The Stars CD (album) cover

Sieges Even

5 stars A sublime work. Sieges Even are perhaps best known for complex rhythm section and abrupt shifts in melody. This approach is still evident here, but has been restrained to the point of being, well, sublime. As one reviewer pointed out, these songs could easily be amplified and heard as metal. But there's almost no distortion here. It's layered, but drenched in melancholy and bittersweet melodies and has the cleanest production I've heard. You can literally hear every pluck of the bass string and click of the drum stick. Vocals are in the higher register, bright and strong.

As for drawbacks, I have to admit its kinda boring, even for this lover of melancholy on a countryside night. Even my wife, who likes her music not aggressive, says it bores her. So unless your friend is a prog head, I don't recommend giving it to your partner in life. And the title - Art of navigating by the stars - is on the borderline of depth and pretentiousness, depending on your point of view. I prefer deep.

Progrussia | 5/5 |