Magma - Merci CD (album) cover

MERCI

Magma

Zeuhl

tuxon
3 stars Nice album, but not comparable with earlier albums. Overall sound is closer to Joe jackson, Jacques Brell, or Al Jarreau than with anything Magma did in the past. Of the original line- up only Christian and his wife Stella remain, so it's safe to say it can be concidered a solo Vander album.

Despite the popish comercial sound, the musical quality is high, and very much fun to listen to with very good melodies and splendid arrangements often in a funky disco jazz style. Most songs remind me of older songs, though I can not always figure out which song it reminds me of, for excample "I Must Return", sounds like a reworking of the Wizard Of Ozz track "A Brand New Day".

A nice record to add to your Magma collection, but do not expect the typical Magma sound and heavy drumming. But that aside, this is a nice album.

Listen before buying.