Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt) - 33 CD (album) cover

Blue Effect (Modrý Efekt; M. Efekt)

5 stars Such an outstanding album.

I fell in love with this album, I really did. It became a matter of my heart after few listens. Enjoyed the power of Blue Effect's debut album Meditace, which was sung by not less famous and respected Czechoslovakian artist Vladimír Misí­k, I also enjoyed Blue Effect's jazzy big band experiments on a record Nová syntéza, but there's something more in their prog-rock side (really not the dark one) of repertoire. I feel something very special there.

The prog era of Blue Effect starts with Modrý Efekt & Radim Hladík. This album was apparently inspired by Yes, Camel and Caravan, although it's an instrumental opus (the strict hand of 'normalization' didn't allow these guys to record it with original lyrics). The next one, which is called Svitanie, had one of the most sucessful compositions of whole Blue Effect's career. A song named 'Ej padá, padá rosenka' is still played on every single gig these days. Svět hledačů was unarguably an artistic peak of this band... But then 33 saw the light of the world. Very emotional album, full of natural moods and colorful themes.

It's a pleasure to listen to such a beatiful album like 33. Radim Hladík, Lesek Semelka and Vlado Čech did amazing work, which is obvious after few minutes of the title song 'Třiatřicet' ('Thirty-Three' in English). Semelka's vocal is very expressive and full of emotions. Songs on this album appeal on human soul and go straight to the heart, which is very impressive. My personal favourite composition is 'Avignonské slečny z Prahy'. I absolutely love the poetic lyrics from Pavel Vrba. He is true genius in his work. 'Avignonské slečny z Prahy' has unbelievably melodic chorus, that you can't only listen - you got to sing it along with Lesek Semelka till the end. Very impressive connection between complex prog instrumental parts and straightforward (not only vocal) lines. This is what I call art rock.

Exceptional. Perfect for sleepless nights.

TKristyna | 5/5 |