Bubu - Anabelas CD (album) cover

ANABELAS

Bubu

OpethGuitarist
3 stars Layered and multinational

Despite being a South American band, this lacks many of the "flavors" associated with the region. There are many similarities to the Italian prog scene. There are a broad range of influences from across prog, though to me it seems like a cross between King Crimson's crazy sections, Gentle Giant's multi-instrumentation, and some of Zappa's quirkiness.

The long opener is my favorite piece, and begins with a genuine symphonic bang. The furious guitar riffing is intoxicating and very exciting. This tense mood somewhat reminds me of Epilog by Anglagard. The material throughout is fairly complex and there are many jazz fusionesque qualities. Vocals are almost absent here as well, which helps if you are a non-native speaker like myself.

The next track is more experimental and has more vocal presence. There's a violin solo here as well which seems somewhat mournful due to the backing music to support it. I feel the track closes very poorly, and it is my least favorite on the disk.

The final track is maybe the most chaotic and off the wall. The section after the last vocal part is a great riff structure and blending of all the assets of the band. There is a KC type ending here as well, once again showing the range of influences. While the music here is generally very complex, exciting, and intelligent, I feel that it lacks a certain "it" factor to it. The tracks are engaging enough, but nothing particularly stands out. Still well recommended, especially if one is looking to explore beyond the realms of English prog.

OpethGuitarist | 3/5 |