Haken - The Mountain CD (album) cover

5 stars I've listened to this non-stop since it was released and have concluded it's the best prog album of the year if not longer. Visions was good, but The Mountain takes everything to the next level. The experimentation is expanded with additions like the Gentle Giant inspired harmonies, and the songwriting has also been polished with some truly beautiful melodies and softer passsages. Some say their influences are too apparent, but I think that is an unfair complaint. When Haken draws from Dream Theater to Gentle Giant to Yes to Radiohead in such a fluid manner, it can only be a treat to all prog fans to have an album that sums up almost everything we love about progressive music. Highlights would be "Atlas Stone", "Cockroach King", "Falling to Earth", and "Somebody", but when I listen to the album I never want to skip a single song. The pacing from heavy to quirky to moody to epic always keeps me interested. So, in conclusion, I apologize to Mr. Steven Wilson. Competition for the album of the year was tougher than any expected.
Friday13th | 5/5 |