Sparkle In Grey - Thursday Evening CD (album) cover

THURSDAY EVENING

Sparkle In Grey

Progressive Electronic

BrufordFreak
4 stars Listening to this on progstreaming.com I can see why there was some contention as to whether or not this should have been placed in the Post Rock or Electronica subgenres. There seems to be a lot of folk and neo-classical elements as well, but the electronica foundations are indisputable. I'm finding the music quite enjoyable. And, well, the political commentary is also quite welcome and a powerful addition. Artists who go out and take the risk of taking moral and political stands are good with me. I really liked last year's Mexico a lot--it's upbeat quirkiness was like a welcome shower in the world of so much heavy music. This one is much more even tempered (to my ears)--kind of like a collection of catchy World Music grooves--Eno, Talking Heads, Karda Estra, Rational Diet, Massive Attack, Arto Lindsay, Les Negresses Vertes strung out on heroine and a whole host of Celtic and French folk groups come to mind from time to time.

Favorite songs: the spaghetti Western-cum-Ibiza cool jazz 1. "Der Mauer" (6:14) (9/10); the slow tempoed neoclassical 4. "A Swift of Flight" (6:00) (9/10); the oh-so-cool, suave but simple blues rock of 6. "Soft City" (2:51) (9/10); the TOE-plays-Talking Heads 9. "Der Harbour" (9:09) (9/10).

A wonderful album of groovin', melodic, background or play-along songs. Quite unlike other prog rockers currently on the scene. Check it out!

BrufordFreak | 4/5 |