Aries - Double Reign CD (album) cover

DOUBLE REIGN

Aries

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Second Life Syndrome
4 stars Fabio Zuffanti is a miracle-worker, in my opinion. This multi-instrumentalist has many projects, including the always amazing Hostsonaten. So, imagine my delight to discover this newer project from Fabio, Aries. This project includes female vocalist, Simona Angieloni; something that is a little out of character for Fabio's other efforts.

"Double Reign" is a very strong album overall. The sound of the album revolves very much around the strong female vocals and also around the use of violin and viola. These two aspects intertwine and play off each other quite a bit, and we are treated to amazing violin solos throughout the album. However, this album also features some stand-out RPI keys and flutes; something that really draws me into the experience. The ambient nature of the keys overlays the tracks with a beautiful surreal nature. Indeed, the entire album has a mystical quality to it.

The album has many facets and tools. From gorgeous piano to relaxing cello to a noteworthy performance on the drums, this album has a technically strong performance style, but it also has heart, atmosphere, and whimsy. Pure beauty with a hint of darkness and sadness is the name of the game here.

A couple good examples of this are "Voices" and "Space", probably my favorite tracks. They are surreal and psychedelic in nature, but the music itself is gorgeous and organic. This mix ends up providing an eclectic palate for the listener that I hope everyone else will give a try. With a great mix of instruments and a strong showing in both vocals and concept, Aries' "Double Reign" should definitely be more well-recognized, especially for fans of iamthemorning, Introitus, or Frequency Drift. Heck, even Kate Bush fans will be satisfied.

Second Life Syndrome | 4/5 |