Kate Bush - The Dreaming CD (album) cover

THE DREAMING

Kate Bush

Second Life Syndrome
4 stars Good gravy! I was not expecting this when I decided to check out Kate Bush's music. I guess I was expecting some very 80s synthy pop/rock, but what I got instead was a FEARLESS voice! Kate Bush is like no one else, and I guess that explains why so many people love her.

The music on this album is definitely a foundation and nothing more. There are all kinds of strange instruments used, and they add a feeling of eclecticism to the music. I think this is simply a reflection of Kate's character, though. She doesn't do things "normally".

Her voice, however, is the true star here. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard what I can only describe as "harsh" vox come from her mouth. Wildly diverse uses of her voice are present, from low growls to high-pitched tone variation that doesn't seem like it should be possible. But, she always makes it work. In fact, there are times when I thought I should be repulsed, but in no time at all it simply worked and worked well.

Kate Bush is something of an anomaly. I've seen discussions about getting her out of "prog- related" and into "crossover", and I couldn't agree more. This is progressive music through and through, and I think the character and style that Kate presents is proof enough.

Second Life Syndrome | 4/5 |