Flying Colors - Flying Colors CD (album) cover

Flying Colors

4 stars There seems to be quite a spread of opinion on this album. Some think it's great, others are not impressed. Myself, I'm in the former camp. It could possibly be the best album of 2012 for me (though Neal Morse's Momemtum runs it close). Virtually all of the songs are winners in my book, though not being into heavy metal I tend to skip Shoulda Coulda Woulda and All Falls Down. Of the rest, my personal favourites are Blue Ocean, Kayla, Everything Changes, and the one progressive track, Infinite Fire. The highlight of this last one is an excellent duelling keyboard and guitar section featuring the two Morses. All of the musicians play superbly, but special mention must be made for Steve Morse for some excellent solos, even channelling Brian May at one point, and also Casey MacPherson on vocals.

Considering that the album was written and recorded in only a couple of weeks,it sounds amazing. I can't wait to see what their second album is like.

AlanB | 4/5 |