Vangelis - Hypothesis CD (album) cover

HYPOTHESIS

Vangelis

BORA
3 stars Jazz, you may not miss, but won't hurt a bit.

I am not a Vangelis fan, but I quite enjoyed "The Dragon" - albeit a shamefully short album. Short of obtaining all other works, I asked my fellow countryman Aussie-Byrd-Brother for an input. Without endorsing this piece, he drew my attention to a similar line-up to "The Dragon" here.

Well, for starters, this release is even shorter, barely falling over 30 mins. Two side long, but short-ish pieces comprise this work. A couple of established British Jazz musicians are listed as "guest musicians" next to Vangelis as a sole performer.

Collectively they deliver somewhat enjoyable, but rather uneventful -Jazz. Soft, mellow and largely devoid of any sense of innovation, it would serve best as inoffensive "elevator music", or a background to a dinner party.

I wouldn't recommend it to any Jazz fan, unless they have plenty of CD rack space and money to burn.

Good-ish by Vangelis standards, but hardly essential in a Prog sense.

BORA | 3/5 |