Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence  CD (album) cover

SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE

Dream Theater

zedkatz
3 stars I came prepared to slag this off. I hadn't listened to it for a while (which tells you something). My memories were of superb musicianship but with too much virtuosity for its own sake.

However in the spirit of fairness I put it on the CD player again. And found my blood pumping hard with the sheer energy.

I'm not a fan of shredding guitarists but I have to admire Petrucci. And Portnoy is of course stunning on drums (though part of me suspects that with that many drums in front of me even I could hit 'em in time).

Pretty good all round. However I really cannot abide La Brie as a singer. He sounds like a pastiche of the worst of the 80's style of singer. The long drawn out wails and an almost total inability to find a memorable melody do my head in. He spoils this album and indeed this band as far as I'm concerned.

zedkatz | 3/5 |