Anekdoten - From Within CD (album) cover

4 stars Anekdoten's From Within finds the band still ploughing the old mid-1970s King Crimson furrow which serves as the basis for their sound. However, whereas I was initially impressed with their first two albums but became disillusioned with them over time, at first I was unimpressed with From Within but I have found that it has grown on me. There's a subtlety and delicacy on display here, from the title track onwards, which sees Anekdoten move towards a more distinctive and individual identity for themselves, which makes the album a richer and deeper prospect than their previous work. The opening number, with its crashing intro and its fragile lyrics, grabs the listener's attention instantly and the album doesn't let go for its entire running time.
Warthur | 4/5 |