Sigur Rós - Kveikur CD (album) cover

KVEIKUR

Sigur Rós

Post Rock/Math rock

FunkyM
4 stars Post rock kings Sigur Ros' 2013 album, Kveikur, is a pleasant surprise. I like this album much more than its predecessor, Valtari.

Unlike that previous release, Kveikur has a bite to it. A darker edge permeates much of this album. You can probably see a bit of this starting with the cover art and you can hear it in many of the tracks on the album. I think the songwriting is a bit stronger too, because I found much of Kveikur to be both immediate and more immediately memorable.

Overall, this is a strong release and fans of the band will definitely want to check it out, but I would also recommend it to those who may have found their previous release a little on the staid side. Kveikur will likely be able keep your attention a little more easily.

Highlights: "Brennisteinn", "Ísjaki", "Stormur", "Kveikur", "Bláţráđur"

FunkyM | 4/5 |