Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory  CD (album) cover

THE POWER AND THE GLORY

Gentle Giant

Andrea Cortese
4 stars "You may not have all you want or you need..."

Another important record from Gentle Giant. Slightly weaker than the previous masterpiece "In a Glass House" and than the memorable follow up "Free Hand". There's a little bit of confusion all around the album's structure, in my opinion.

The opener "Proclamation" is still a wonderful highlight in their whole discography and the mellow "Aspiration" is probably one of the three GG's tracks I love the most. Nevertheless the record fails to impress me and differently to what many reviewers and opinionists say, this is not their miliar stone. Not for sure. The album appears more song-structured than any of the past, especially in its second half, from "Cogs in Cogs" on. Beautiful tracks, though with a stronger rocky vein as in "The Face".

All in all The Power and the Glory stands as a light star in my own prog cd collection as the other GG's records above mentioned plus the immortal "Octopus" that remain their most classic prog rock contribution to the world.

Not a masterpiece as I said. Still a must have, though.

4.25 stars.