Haken - The Mountain CD (album) cover

The Neck Romancer
2 stars Ross Jennings is the singer James LaBrie wants to be. Actually, this band plays wanky melodic vanilla prog metal (I'm being redundant, I guess) better than Dream Theater, even though DT were the ones who created that kinda thing. There are some memorable moments here, like the super cheesy but fun bouzouki break in "Pareidolia", the barbershop singing in the gentle giantly "Cockroach King" (song ruined by the cringeworthy Berklee fusion section, ugh), but overall there's no reason why I would listen to this when I could listen to 'Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory' or 'Sound Awake'.

TL;DR: the "prog metal" equivalent of pound cake. With a big slice of cheese.

The Neck Romancer | 2/5 |