Electric Light Orchestra - Eldorado CD (album) cover

ELDORADO

Electric Light Orchestra

zedkatz
4 stars I don't own a lot of ELO but this one has been in my collection on vinyl and in CD format for over 25 years.

I have no argument with those that say it's more pop than prog and my rating will reflect its prog value rather than my personal ranking (it's a 5 in my book, desrt island disc material).

I love the full orchestration. For the most part the songs themselves are excellent with only "Nobody's Child" and "Illusions in G Major" occasionally gett the 'skip' treatment. It contains two of my all-time favourite ELO tracks, "Can't Get it Out of My Head" and "Eldorado". The latter of the two probably has the best Jeff Lynne vocals he ever did. He sings it with such enormous power and control.

"Mister Kingdom" is also great, but VERY VERY VERY reminiscent of the Beatles. Almost certainly consciously so.

Boy Blue, Laredo Tornado, Poorboy (The Greenwood) are all solid melodic songs, each with distinctive hooks that stay with you for life in my experience.

So OK it's not strictly prog so I can't claim it's a masterpiece of progressive music but I can't rate it lower than 4.

zedkatz | 4/5 |