Dream Theater - Dream Theater CD (album) cover

DREAM THEATER

Dream Theater

DrömmarenAdrian
3 stars I won't deny I have problem with both this band and this genre. Dream Theater is the most famous progressive metal band. Their first studio record was released 1989 and now 2013 they have released their twelfth record with the name "Dream Theater" with the line up James LaBrie(voclas), John Petrucci(guitars), Jordan Rudess(keyboards, etc.), John Myung(bass) and Mike Mangini(drums). The cover picture is boring, very black and and silver sign in the middle.

The best tracks on this record is those who haven't lyrics. I like the introduction(6/10) and the second track is also ok(6/10). The absolutely best song is "Enigma machine", an instrumental track with much musical glory and fantastic musician work. It has a great melody and I like it(8/10). The long suite "Illimination theory" is also okey(6/10). The song contains for example a lot of symphonic tendencies and much variation. The track "Along for the ride" is also nice in many ways(6/10). But the rest is(to be honest) very boring. I hear very good instrumentalists such as the bass and the keyboards but what destroys everything is the American pop voice of LaBrie, the vocal melodies are so mainstream boring and has no progressive hints at all.

I will give this record three very week stars because the album is OK but not interesting. Perhaps two stars would have been fair, we'll see if I lower it later. I wouldn't recommend more than perhaps four tracks (1,4,8,9).

DrömmarenAdrian | 3/5 |