Yuka & Chronoship - Dino Rocket Oxygen CD (album) cover

Yuka & Chronoship

4 stars Yuka & Chronoship's record "Dino rocket oxygen" was released earlier this year and I have listened to parts of it for a long time but I haven't listened to it all until tonight and I must declare it's a very tight and lush release. The band is ruled by Yuka Funakoshi who sings(a bit) and plays keyboard. Her band mates are Takashi Miyazawa (guitar), Shun Taguchi(bass) and Ikko Tanaka(drums). This Japanese band was formed 2009 and has earlier done one record and this one is their second.

I find this music lovely, really. They play a retro style progressive rock. It's almost instrumental apart from some vocals in some of the last songs. The record is full of symphonic pleasure and the 70s are always present in these songs. I have hard to pick favourite tracks but "Dance with dinosaurs" and "Ruler of the Earth" are two lovely tracks amongst others. All instruments make their job to finish this progressive journey: the keyboards sound sometimes like Emerson, Lake & Palmer and sometimes like something else, the guitar has both a heavy rock approach and a more melodical progressive one and the bass and drums are also magic.

I hope others will find and enjoy this record from this very talanted Japanese band. I am so happy they are not trying to make prog like pop or use ingratiating vocals. They are honest and interesting and I recommend them. If I would complaim on anything it could be the (almost) lack of vocals. More vocals experiments would have been nice. The cover isn't either very arousing. Indeed they have taken the Roger Dean style with their sign but the cover is very boring. Though is the record very good. Four stars!

DrömmarenAdrian | 4/5 |