Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion CD (album) cover

STORM CORROSION

Storm Corrosion

Timdano
4 stars A fascinating, beautiful, incredibly complex and simultaneously subtle album from two of modern day prog's Founding Fathers. I've had this one spinning for over a year now and still discover nuance and genius gems hidden in the multiple layers of style - you'll hear it all here - ambient, folk, avante-garde. And at the same time, the album also defies description and genre. The first half is more minimalist; the second half jazzier.

I do sense quite a bit of inspiration from one of my favorite albums of all time - Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden; though that doesn't mean in any sense that Wilson and Akerfelt have pulled off anything of imitation. My favorites here are the beautiful album title-inspired "Storm Corrosion" and the closing haunting mini-epic (where we are introduced to Akerfelt's falsetto), "Ljudet Innan".

An open mind and insatiable appetite for aural discovery are absolute required admission for entrance into this unique listening experience - if this album doesn't elicit a myriad of emotional response from you, the listener, then prog is just not for you.

Four solid stars.