Agalloch - The Mantle CD (album) cover

Experimental/Post Metal

2 stars An ok album, although I must admit that I don't understand at all how others can think of it as a masterpiece, I do understand how someone could like this album much more than I do. It's really repetitive, mostly "eventless" and the occasional growling vocals are uncalled for in my opinion. The folk elements are implemented very nicely, but especially during the heavy parts the drums are often a bit out of sync with the rest of the band.

I'm rating it 2 stars here ... if you're new to the band you should start with their 2006 output Ashes Against the Grain and if you like that then proceed with the debut.

The Lodge: I can't see what's remarkable about this track - it's more like a long, eventless segue.

You Were But A Ghost In My Arms: This doesn't grab my attention - a lot of tremolo picking, fairly conventional chord progressions, uncalled-for growling.

The Hawthorne Passage: A nice track - unfortunately there are quite some timing problems (drums) in the middle section that annoy me a little bit.

MikeEnRegalia | 2/5 |