OSI - Fire Make Thunder CD (album) cover

FIRE MAKE THUNDER

OSI

Experimental/Post Metal

Timdano
4 stars What turns a "side project" into a legitimate act? If quality, consistency and a (now) 4 album discography are qualifiers, OSI is certainly a legitimate artist. Due to the quality found here and albums preceding "Fire Make Thunder" I find it surprising that OSI doesn't have a bigger following.

General highlights on this album

Great flow, ambiance, production sound quality, songwriting and post- metal quality here. Gavin Harrison's chops (Porcupine Tree, if you didn't know) tower over everything here - I here a lot of the metal moments of Porcupine Tree's last 4 albums or so thundering through every track - the guy's a monster on the skins. Jim Matheos (Fate's Warning) underlying guitar lines are meaty and memorable. Keven Moore's (ex-Dream Theater, if you didn't know) work here is awesome as well: the guy knows how to combine myriad keyboard elements to alternative prog-related metal music. I also find his vocal style surprisingly calming and subdued and surprisingly fitting to the music style.

The only downside I see here is that "Fire Make Thunder" is on the shorter side. A solid 4 star album.

Timdano | 4/5 |