Asia - Asia CD (album) cover

ASIA

Asia

obiter
2 stars Noooo!!

The four songs of this album are quintessential middle of the road bland pop. If you like Asia I'm sure you'll like this. As a part of a prog collection - I simply have no idea whatsoever why this would be in it. Might as well have The Jam (except that is streaks better).

If this album was "of the time" and I'm just not getting it then I'm glad I luckily had my head in a bucket at the material time.

"Only time will tell": it does and this is an album that should be consigned to the closet of big hair, big shoulder pads, short sleeves, "insincerity" and clichéd lyrics.

"Sole Survivor" the lucky one that got away!

"One step closer": no I would advise several miles away. preferably in a bunker in a neighbouring planet.

"Time Again" ; why is this on the album: the intro is great. all goes a bit overblown after, but hey in the context of this album it's a pinnacle of success. Momentary touches of a Gentle Giant vibe.

The second side is more than a nyumb perhaps even a tad better . "Cutting it Fine" for me is the stand out amidst the AOR blandness. Clichéd lyrics and cringing rhymes:

"Your sole advisor always was yourself/you never listened to no-one else"

What more can you say?