Three Monks - The Legend Of The Holy Circle CD (album) cover

Three Monks

Rock Progressivo Italiano

5 stars After their impressive debut in 2010 'Neo Gothic Progressive Toccatas' comes another slice of pipe organ heaven from this Italian band. Its strictly a trio format (although two different drummers are used) and all 'instrumental' over its 7 tracks and running time of 50 odd minutes. I'm not a classical music lover so this is as close to actually listening to that genre I will ever get. For those familiar with the debut this is not quite as 'raw'. I think they have tried to make the sound a bit softer and introduced synths into the mix which if I recollect correctly were not present on the debut. At times it reminds me of the Japanese trio Ars Nova especially on the more energetic sections.

Overall there is not much I can condemn (or would want to) and much to be admired. Its a real joy to have this music and a band such as this in existence. I go with a 5 star rating and let other people pick holes in it ( if they can find them).

richardh | 5/5 |