Dream Theater - Dream Theater CD (album) cover

Dream Theater

2 stars Dull. Bland. Not even trying anymore.

I'm genuinely sad to say that the band I idolised as the epitome of rock music a decade ago have truly lost all their creative talent as a band. Their last few albums have all been desperately uninteresting, especially the previous album, but this one is equally as bad. I was listening to my music library on shuffle the other day, the 2007 remix of Take The Time from Images and Words came on, and I just marvelled at what a breathtaking piece of music it was. There's more variety, creativity and passion in that one song than on this entire album combined. I don't know what it is, but it seems like they don't care about being innovative - or even interesting - at all any more, it honestly makes me sad. They should have stopped releasing albums years ago, then I could look back on them fondly. All I can do now is wonder what happened to them.

Revelation_Space | 2/5 |