King Crimson - Discipline CD (album) cover

DISCIPLINE

King Crimson

OpethGuitarist
4 stars They still have it.

While certainly not as impressive as most of their 70's material, Discipline is still a quality record. It may not sound distinctly KC, but the songwriting abilities and talent are all still there. It's still got oddities and quirkiness to it, and you have master Fripp running the show as usual.

I would call this album a grower. It's different than their 70's material so at initial listen you are somewhat disappointed by it. However, after you see/hear what's all going on, it is still quite a good effort and very creative. "I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, etc." is a genius move and Belew's vocals work great for it because he sounds the most like a "normal" person. Whereas Lake had some eccentricities about him and Wetton had a deep soulful voice, Belew sounds like an everyday chap.

Now, mind you this material is still not as good as LTIA type material, but it's still good stuff and KC never would take the road that many of the other prog giants took. The material is still quite complex and artistic, just a different approach for the 80's and a new lineup, which will bring a different sound.

OpethGuitarist | 4/5 |